HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez trade in the works? LEGIT SOURCES ONLY

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
So I ran a few numbers trying to figure out just how real this cap floor phenomenon is and came up with a few interesting teams that could maybe need someone's inflated salary.

Money need to get to floor:

1) Florida - $2.29M per player - 8 forwards needed
2) Colorado - $2.09M per player - 4 forwards needed
3) Phoenix - $2.09M per player - 4 forwards needed
4) New York - $1.92M per player - 4 forwards needed
5) Carolina - $1.56M per player - 7 forwards needed
6) Dallas - $1.60M per player - 2 forwards needed

Do you think it is more likely for a team like Carolina who covets team speed and needs to sign a bunch of forwards, or for a team like Dallas who already has forwards tied up and needs to send out a cheap contract and take in a big contract?

Am I setting myself up for disappointment by thinking that this could actually happen?
Contrary to the mentaily here, the Habs are not 100% looking to dump Gomez...it depends on the return and also what they can get to replace him. There are a few UFA options, but after Richards and Jokinen it's pretty thin at center. Connolly has lots of injury issues, Arnott is probably no longer a regular top 6, fits better as #3 center. Maybe the Habs can get Lecavalier as TB is desperate to shed salary...but Lecavalier has his own albatross contract, not sure it's worth it.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:04 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
hahahahahaha no one can replace that 38 points.
How many centres are realistically out there that can replace 38 points? The list is pretty small if you take the time to actually look.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
What did *************** said? i can't find the link.
He said he's hearing a lot of talk between the Habs and Isles. There's another rumour that it's Gomez for the rights to Konopka (UFA) and Bailey (RFA).

Old
06-28-2011, 01:05 PM
JohnLennon

Gomez will not be traded, I am almost positive.

On an unrelated note, how the hell is the Chara/Max Pac thread on the main board not closed. It is all just trolling and bashing on Habs fans, I'm getting sick of it.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapshots View Post
Gomez will bounce back and have a 60 points season which will make him overpaid by about 2.5M$.

There's also no one available to take his place on the team so just forget about it.
and what? That's a good thing? "Defenders of the mediocre", seriously that's my sentence of the day on HF...

Old
06-28-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
What did *************** said? i can't find the link.
He just said Habs are working on a significant deal which could be completed sometime in the next 48hrs...he didn't say any names/teams.

And again, this guys by my count has been bang on in at least 80% of the cases he's spoken on and often, weeks before anyone else has.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:07 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Gomez will not be traded, I am almost positive.

On an unrelated note, how the hell is the Chara/Max Pac thread on the main board not closed. It is all just trolling and bashing on Habs fans, I'm getting sick of it.
Because the Bruins fans as well as the Team have total blessing.

They are Saints and Warriors, Stanley Cup winners.

They can do wathever they want and won't be judged nor punished.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
He said he's hearing a lot of talk between the Habs and Isles. There's another rumour that it's Gomez for the rights to Konopka (UFA) and Bailey (RFA).
That rumor does not come from him...

either way, I don't get why people get so bent out of shape over these things...who cares if it's true or not, or if he's legit...sometimes it's fun to speculate

Old
06-28-2011, 01:12 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Looking forward to see our centerline made up of Plekky, DD, Eller and Konopka...

Old
06-28-2011, 01:15 PM
HabsSlappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Contrary to the mentaily here, the Habs are not 100% looking to dump Gomez...it depends on the return and also what they can get to replace him. There are a few UFA options, but after Richards and Jokinen it's pretty thin at center. Connolly has lots of injury issues, Arnott is probably no longer a regular top 6, fits better as #3 center. Maybe the Habs can get Lecavalier as TB is desperate to shed salary...but Lecavalier has his own albatross contract, not sure it's worth it.
Yeah I agree with you, I don't see many that can replace what Gomez brings to the Habs, even if his contract is bloated. I would think that if he is dealt it would be after a signing or trade is made to replace him.

I think Habs management would rather have Vinny's contract than Gomez's since he is much more marketable than Gomez. Posters and billboards and jerseys of Vinny would be everywhere. Also he brings size and a bit of a nasty streak.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Habsfan18

Guys, please remember that the Gomez to NYI rumor/link that was posted is NOT a legit source.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:19 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post

either way, I don't get why people get so bent out of shape over these things...who cares if it's true or not, or if he's legit...sometimes it's fun to speculate
People don't enjoy it because they actually want it to happen. When it doesn't they get frustrated. Over time, it takes its toll on them.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Bobby12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
and what? That's a good thing? "Defenders of the mediocre", seriously that's my sentence of the day on HF...
It's not a good thing but it's not like he's worthless either.

And if you take a tiny bit of time to look outside Habsland, you'll notice that every team in the league has overpaid players.

It's not the end of the world and he actually brings something to his team.

In case you already forget, it was only two years ago that a guy by the name of Thomas Plekanec had a 39 points season and guess what, the season after he was the Habs' best player.

Gomez has averaged 60 points/season over his career, is well liked by his teamate, has won Stanley Cups, plays well in his zone and this team still needs him.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:21 PM
ymorin007*

Send a message via MSN to ymorin007*
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post

Sometimes...not...all the time for sure. Its part of the success of this forum.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Just for my own fun, my 2 cents..

The biggest issue with Gomez is not that he won't rebound, he will have more than last year for sure, and not that he takes the spot of whatever other center might be there. I think the biggest issue is that he is taking the spot of 7.35M worth of players, for the next 3 years. That could easily represent 2 players, which combined will produce much more than the 60 points a rebound for Gomez would produce.

We cannot - unfortunately - seperate the player from his salary in a cap world and Gomez salary vs production ratio makes it hard not to think of how much better we could reinvest his cap hit elsewhere. For instance, would we be better off (I know he is signed) with Brooks Laich at 4.5M and Jason Arnott at 2M, with around 1M left from his cap hit to be spent elsewhere? I think we would be better off, be a deeper team and have more flexibility with his cap hit reinvested. I say he should be traded AND I think he will rebound to his previous year level.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Bobby12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post

The biggest issue with Gomez is not that he won't rebound, he will have more than last year for sure, and not that he takes the spot of whatever other center might be there. I think the biggest issue is that he is taking the spot of 7.35M worth of players, for the next 3 years. That could easily represent 2 players, which combined will produce much more than the 60 points a rebound for Gomez would produce.

We cannot - unfortunately - the player from his salary in a cap world and Gomez salary vs production ratio makes it hard not to think of how much better we could reinvest his cap hit elsewhere. For instance, would we be better off (I know he is signed) with Brooks Laich at 4.5M and Jason Arnott at 2M, with around 1M left from his cap hit to be spent elsewhere? I think we would be better off, be a deeper team and have more flexibility with his cap hit reinvested. I say he should be traded AND I think he will rebound to his previous year level.
Thing is, for now there's no 2 players who you could sign and get you more production for the same price...

UFA crop is ***** this year.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:28 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapshots View Post
UFA crop is ***** this year.
This, the Habs are headed to the UFA market with a full lineup, a Gomez-sized hole in their salary cap already, and no one worthwhile to throw the money at.

Yeah, they can probably spend 3, 4, even 5 million getting Eller some pretty decent wingers, but that top-6 forward cupboard is bare.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:28 PM
haburger

who will be our 2 nd center IF gomer s dumped?i cant see it happening.maybe next year.all he has to do is hit 58 pts an he ll probably lead the team in scoring.but seriously,if max is ok i see big things from that line.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysvette View Post
The habs should make a run at Tyler Kennedy if he becomes available, great replacement for Gomer!
How would Kennedy replace Gomez?

First he is a winger and Gomez is a center.

Second, Gomez is an average year is way better than Kennedy in an average year, he barely scored 20 playing a lot of the year with Malkin.

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymorin007 View Post
Sometimes...not...all the time for sure. Its part of the success of this forum.
But who cares...Pierre Gauthier himself can come on these boards and announce a trade only to see it fall apart later. It's the nature of the business, nothing is official until it's official.

How many GM's have I heard say "we thought we had a deal in principle until...."

It happens all the time man.

Old
OpenIceHit

And if Gomez plays like last season, this team is better without him in the lineup. Sometimes the +/- stats doesn't mean anything but in his case and if you remember the last playoffs, the +/- was meaningful. The goals against when he was on the ice were direct results of his poor play.

It would make my summer (hockey speaking) if he was traded away. But if he stays, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt ... again. Anyway what other choice would I have?

Old
06-28-2011, 01:31 PM
billy piton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post

so, you would rather have two 50 point players than one 100 pts guy?

the habs have more than enough cap space at the moment (almost 15m) without major re-signs to be made. they can re-sign all of our rfas, hamrlik and still have enough space for someone like jagr or erik cole.. 7.35m of gomez salary is not an issue.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Drive425

Agree. There is no one to replace Gomez in the lineup in UFA status except Richards. Richards is not coming to Montreal so it makes no sense to tear a large hole in an already weak top 6. Stay the course this year and things will work themselves out.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:36 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
As much as I would like to see the Gomez contract gone, signing Richard's for what it would likely take, assuming he would want to come here, is of no help down the road. I would expect something front loaded with a long term, as in 7-8 years. Is this any better in the long term?

Old
06-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Looking forward to see our centerline made up of Plekky, DD, Eller and Konopka...
Bailey is a center

Closed Thread