HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

too many defenseman means somethings gotta give

Old
06-28-2011, 11:24 AM
bernmeister

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
As much as I adore him, moving Girardi makes the most sense for us for a number of reasons:

a) His value is at an all-time high. He was an absolute warrior for us in the playoff series with the Caps. Everyone around the league saw him lead the way in terms of blocked shots as well as defending against Ovenchicken. He was arguably better than Staal in that regard, and was arguably our best all-around d-man throughout the series.

b) He's not getting any younger (he's only 27, but he seems to have perhaps peaked in terms of development) and with the way he plays, he's bound to get injured sooner or later. It makes sense to move him now before his body starts to break down and his value diminishes. He's definitely sought after by more than a few teams around the league.

c) He is paid fairly for what he provides, but moving his nearly 4 million could also prove a good amount of cap relief, depending on what the return is.

d) We have prospects and first and second year players who play a similar role and can make his absence manageable. McDonagh and Sauer are ready for more minutes. Staal is a horse. Erixon is used to playing top minutes against men. As great as Girardi's been for us, we are in a luxurious position of being able to deal from such a position of strength that Girardi's loss won't be felt much if at all. He could be packaged with a prospect and/or pick and bring back a very nice top-6 forward, which is what we really need, assuming of course, that we are able to fill our most glaring need with Brad Richards.
I've been saying this for nearly a year....

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:03 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

i wouldnt expect any trades to be made this year. assuming we develop another strong rookie dman this year like we did last year, there may be an opportunity to move someone for some scoring help come spring. because, even adding richards, im not convinced that our top 6 is all that imposing.

and while i agree that ktek and vtank havent proven anything yet, both of them have the ability to play nhl minutes. both need more seasoning for sure. vtank needs to show better mobility and quickness while ktek needs to keep improving his positioning and gap control. both guys are legit bottom pair, defensive dman prospects.

if i were them, i would keep everything simple, make the safe play, take care of my crease and hit everything i see.

to me, thats the ticket to the nhl for both of them.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:15 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
if any one of the new guys gets a shot and grabs it, then i think thats a very good thing for us going forward. development of players is essential for us to get to the next level. not only does that help us improve but it helps us make deals which helps us improve.

this defensive pipeline weve established is perhaps the most positive part of our whole organization. if we are fortunate to have another season where 2 young defenders step up big time, ala sauer and mcd, we should be in a position to make a move or two.

the good thing about improved drafting success is it creates pressure on guys to continue to get better or risk losing a spot. even guys like mcd and sauer cant relax. theres guy looking to take their job. and thats a very good thing. eventually, this defensive depth may get us the goal scorer we so desperately need.

if you are del zotto and you look at tim erixon at 6'3 210 coming into camp with his resume, or a vtank with his size and snarl, you gotta be concerned.

he has his ace in the hole however, question is does he use it. can he be that 40- 50 point dman, with tons of assists and pp poise, or does he return to the defensive liability, telegraph passer and general poser he was last season. hes really our only dman that has shown any creativity beyond the blueline. time for him to step up.

look at what la, cbus and phily were able to do. make impact deals that help them now and in the future. thats what you can do when you have bonafide chips to lay on the table.

right now, defensively anyway, we got the makings of a nice fat stack.
we've ESTABLISHED two, count em, two defenseman.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Black Tank

Rangers fans are like beggars who have always been starving. Now when the cupboard finally starts to fill up, you want to start trading away what we've always hungered after for newer, more interesting stuff????

Keep all the dmen, let them develop fully, and then let them compete. McIlrath's comments about Erixon already being ready is really telling - this type of competition expectation is what we want our prospects thinking about and what we want to drive them to excellence.

This is called having a deep organization and on the blueline we're almost there. Let's not dismantle it before we've actually enjoyed having one of the best defenses in the league.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Moving Girardi only makes sense if we're moving him for an established top 6 forward who fits the team identity

We're NOT moving him for prospects or a guy past his prime.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:24 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Moving Girardi only makes sense if we're moving him for an established top 6 forward who fits the team identity

I was hoping we trade Girardi for Todd Bertuzzi's rights

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:25 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
it's been mentioned once or twice, but what sides these guys play need to be taken into account as well...I can't say for sure what the guys in the minors play, but of all the players mentioned, Staal, McDonagh, Del Zotto, Erixon, Kundtratek, Valentenko, and Pashnin are all leftys.

McIlrath is the only other righty, and he's pretty far down on the depth chart at this point...

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:37 PM
In The Flesh

Our D is not that solid. Aside from Staal and Girardi nobody else is even a 3rd yr NHLer.

Trade Girardi and our D is garbage.

You can't ice 5 rookies/2nd yr players.

Girardi is going to get meaner, 29, 30, 31. He's gonna be a beast.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Flesh View Post
Girardi is going to get meaner, 29, 30, 31. He's gonna be a beast.
Dmen's primes, imo.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Larry Melnyk

Just passing through.....The Rangers have the makings of a VERY GOOD defense in the not too distant future..We are loaded with some very good young d-men and solid defensive prospects...but right now, the only four you can count on are McD, Sauer, Staal and Girardi...A solid group, but incomplete...And it is not out of the question that the first two may even have some hiccups as they grow and get better.......Maybe one of the kids (Erixon, DZ, Valatenko, whoever) forces their way onto a top 6 spot but NONE of them should be counted on for that and why the Rangers need to bring in a reliable defensive vet D-man type (6th -7th) as well as an offensive D-man/PP guy...Not sure how they are going to do it financially, but they are definete needs (especially the offensive d-man) for the coming year..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:01 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Just passing through.....The Rangers have the makings of a VERY GOOD defense in the not too distant future..We are loaded with some very good young d-men and solid defensive prospects...but right now, the only four you can count on are McD, Sauer, Staal and Girardi...A solid group, but incomplete...And it is not out of the question that the first two may even have some hiccups as they grow and get better.......Maybe one of the kids (Erixon, DZ, Valatenko, whoever) forces their way onto a top 6 spot but NONE of them should be counted on for that and why the Rangers need to bring in a reliable defensive vet D-man type (6th -7th) as well as an offensive D-man/PP guy...Not sure how they are going to do it financially, but they are definete needs (especially the offensive d-man) for the coming year..
What the hell do you know?

Man, it's been too long, buddy, how are things in your world? You do not come around here often enough.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:05 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post

Or, in an upgrade...I would have moved him for Brent Burns. But, as someone who was not as big a fan of Girardi as some other posters here, Girardi impressed me this year, as he took his game to another level, which I did not think he had. He's a very good 2nd pairing D-man on a quality team now, and, due to his chemistry with Staal, he can play on a top pairing in the right instances. Before last year, i did not see him in that light.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
What the hell do you know?

Man, it's been too long, buddy, how are things in your world? You do not come around here often enough.
Holy s&*$snacks! Didn't expect to see you still here! Been a crazy year..was only able to breeze in and out now and then....Still quite a lively place here...a bit different but still lively!

As for what do i know? Heck, the next time I am wrong about the Rangers will be the first! Well, if you scratch the Jessiman debacle... ..and where is Ryan Hollweg these days?

Old
06-28-2011, 01:38 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Holy s&*$snacks! Didn't expect to see you still here! Been a crazy year..was only able to breeze in and out now and then....Still quite a lively place here...a bit different but still lively!

As for what do i know? Heck, the next time I am wrong about the Rangers will be the first! Well, if you scratch the Jessiman debacle... ..and where is Ryan Hollweg these days?
I can't quit this place. I've been out of full time work for the past year and a half, (although, I'm close to rejoining the ranks of the fully employed), so I was able to hit that all important goal of 10,000+ posts, which only took me nine years to accomplish, so I got that going for me. Good to see you pass through. Do you still frequent Graffiti Wall...I gave up on that place when few and few of the more familiar posters departed, and a certain one seemed to rule the roost.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Black Tank

Quote:
I can't quit this place. I've been out of full time work for the past year and a half, (although, I'm close to rejoining the ranks of the fully employed), so I was able to hit that all important goal of 10,000+ posts, which only took me nine years to accomplish, so I got that going for me. Good to see you pass through. Do you still frequent Graffiti Wall...I gave up on that place when few and few of the more familiar posters departed, and a certain one seemed to rule the roost.
I recognize you idiots from the Wall - I haven't been there in years either and now that I too am unemployed, watch my posts skyrocket.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Glad to hear about possible employment change..but, you know, you really got think about what is important in life, the Rangers or a Job..ah, screw the job...

With the thread structure, this place is hard to just pass in and out of..Almost like you gotta immerse yourself in it..like i used to..I Have a feeling I would be disagreeing with the posters here 24/7..But, what else is new!.....Yeah, I started visiting the Wall again over the last month..Actually in pretty good shape..Not a huge crowd, but they know their stuff like here..Heck even DESPO posted the other day..And the DB you speak of has been gone...

Old
06-28-2011, 01:58 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Glad to hear about possible employment change..but, you know, you really got think about what is important in life, the Rangers or a Job..ah, screw the job...

With the thread structure, this place is hard to just pass in and out of..Almost like you gotta immerse yourself in it..like i used to..I Have a feeling I would be disagreeing with the posters here 24/7..But, what else is new!.....Yeah, I started visiting the Wall again over the last month..Actually in pretty good shape..Not a huge crowd, but they know their stuff like here..Heck even DESPO posted the other day..And the DB you speak of has been gone...
Wow, i may have to go check things out there then, just for the DESPO sighting alone.

As for the employment, fortunately, things have not been anywhere as bad as they could have been. And, I was even able to get a BA in the process...it only took 24 years!

And, crazy year, does that mean just busy and the family is doing okay?

Old
06-28-2011, 01:59 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
I recognize you idiots from the Wall - I haven't been there in years either and now that I too am unemployed, watch my posts skyrocket.

You do know that Melnyk has a different handle at the Wall?

Old
06-28-2011, 11:41 PM
HockeyHillbilly

My gut tells me there will be an announcement about Sauer in the next 24-36 hours from the team. Guessing around 3yrs $1.5 per.

HockeyHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 03:52 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
You do know that Melnyk has a different handle at the Wall?
Yeah - I know b/c like me he keeps posting the same exact things on both places, at least while I was still going there. BTW, I use Traveler on the Wall.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:18 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
Yeah - I know b/c like me he keeps posting the same exact things on both places, at least while I was still going there. BTW, I use Traveler on the Wall.
Yeah, that's how I figured it out when he first started posting here. You know. it's been so long, I vaguely remember seeing your handle there, and I apologize for not recognizing it sooner. Do you still go there, because I give it up about three or so years ago.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:42 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers should move Valentenko. If he doesn't get a one way contract next summer,he is going back to the KHL. This is assuming Valentenko spends most if not all of this season in the AHL. The Russians would rather play in the KHL than in the AHL on a two way deal. They make more money in the KHL than in the AHL.

Quote:
#KHL President Medvedev tells SovSport he will "help" young players like Varlamov, Shirokov, Filatov to come back to the #KHL.
http://twitter.com/#!/dchesnokov/sta...24120049909760

Filatov was going to the KHL this season if Columbus did not trade him.

The Devils young Russian player went to the KHL

Quote:
Alexander Vasyunov's decision to sign a one-year contract to play with Lokomotiv Yaroslavl in Russia's KHL next season was made because the Devils refused to give the young left winger a one-way contract.

Agreeing to a two-way contract would have meant that Vasyunov, 23, was almost certainly destined to play in the AHL for a fourth straight season.

"Alexander would go back to the Devils without hesitation, but it has to be a one-way deal," agent Mark Gandler told The Star-Ledger in an email.
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...urned_dev.html

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:45 AM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Yeah, that's how I figured it out when he first started posting here. You know. it's been so long, I vaguely remember seeing your handle there, and I apologize for not recognizing it sooner. Do you still go there, because I give it up about three or so years ago.
Aha. A WALLSTERS convention on HF. Very nice.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:46 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyHillbilly View Post
My gut tells me there will be an announcement about Sauer in the next 24-36 hours from the team. Guessing around 3yrs $1.5 per.
Sauer is 3 years away from group III. The Rangers usually don't have contracts conclude going into group III years. Sauer signs a 2 year deal and he is a group II again before his group III years. 2 years/$3M-$3.2M for Sauer.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:55 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers should move Valentenko. If he doesn't get a one way contract next summer,he is going back to the KHL. This is assuming Valentenko spends most if not all of this season in the AHL. The Russians would rather play in the KHL than in the AHL on a two way deal. They make more money in the KHL than in the AHL.

http://twitter.com/#!/dchesnokov/sta...24120049909760

Filatov was going to the KHL this season if Columbus did not trade him.

The Devils young Russian player went to the KHL

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...urned_dev.html
And, that's why it made a lot of sense to move Grachev. With acquisition of Erixon, I really do not expect Valentenko to make next year's team.