HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LW Olivier Archambault - 4th Round 108th overall

Old
06-28-2011, 12:03 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBallFern View Post
Hopefully, he will get better as he matures...So far, teh scouting reports the description of a Tom Pyatt or a Max Lapierre.....
I guess we can't expect a Sydney Crosby drafting so late.....
Huh?

They describe him as an offensive guy with good but not great speed with very good hands.

The exact opposite of Pyatt and Lapierre.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:08 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
He's got some sweet hands...that's for sure!

In this footage, he looks like Crosby....IMHO

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
In this footage, he looks like Crosby....IMHO
And that defenseman looks like a less talented version of Patrick Traverse.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:10 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
And that defenseman looks like a less talented version of Patrick Traverse.
So......

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsubz View Post
Just reminding you guys Archambault is a 4th round pick...

Yes, I agree!

Archambault as a 4th round pick has numbers that can be compared to Louis Leblanc for the 2010-2011 season, despite 2 yeras difference in age!

Archambault may or may not become a NHL player, but......

Leblanc as a 19/20 year old - was previously a 1st round draft choice and had 26 G + 32 A = 58 pts in 51 games (2010-2011 season).

Archambault as a 17/18 year old (2010-2011 season) had 20 G + 33 A = 53 pts in 65 games.

Not a bad pick for the 4th round!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:13 PM
Riggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin Udall View Post
Archambault as a 17/18 year old (2010-2011 season) had 20 G + 33 A = 53 pts in 65 games.

Not a bad pick for the 4th round!

Those are pretty unimpressive numbers in the Q. Not saying I'm disappointed with the pick as Archambault seems to have some decent skills and he is a 4th rounder. You can find a whole load of guys who score like crazy in the QMJHL and never do anything in the AHL let alone NHL. Marc-Andre Thinel had 132 points in his draft year and 150 the year after that. Where is he now? What I'm curious about is whether anyone has every put up mediocre numbers in the QMJHL and went on to be a good scorer in the NHL. I can't think of anyone.

Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:19 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Huh?

They describe him as an offensive guy with good but not great speed with very good hands.

So... Samsonov without the speed...

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:21 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacegoat View Post
Those are pretty unimpressive numbers in the Q. Not saying I'm disappointed with the pick as Archambault seems to have some decent skills and he is a 4th rounder. You can find a whole load of guys who score like crazy in the QMJHL and never do anything in the AHL let alone NHL. Marc-Andre Thinel had 132 points in his draft year and 150 the year after that. Where is he now? What I'm curious about is whether anyone has every put up mediocre numbers in the QMJHL and went on to be a good scorer in the NHL. I can't think of anyone.

You have a point, but....

What does that say about the Habs drafting Leblanc in the 1st round, considering that he is 2 years older than Archambault (who played on a weak team) and barely outscored him (~14 less games)?

Just askin'.

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:24 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
A lot where bad before their draft year and then got mad in their remaining seasons in the Q, but someone who had bad stats till the end of their Q career? I don't know anyone.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:26 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
this is 2010-2011 not 1999-2000, total different league. much more defensive league than from 10 years ago. Alex Burrows didnt start playing in the Q before he was 19 and is doing all right in the nhl now so thats one exemple.

Archambault was... lets be honest a cancer in the room in Val D'or so no surprise he got trade away. Coach didnt like him and same goes for majority of his teammate. Even heard VDO top player Jonathan Hazen ask the coach to not played him with Archambault. He played mostly 2nd/3rd line role last year. That could explain his mediocre number and being on a **** team.

Archambault has a great opportunity in Drumondville and need to start working and stop blaming everyone else. he need to step up his game on and off the ice

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:26 PM
Riggins

Quote:

What does that say about the Habs drafting Leblanc in the 1st round, considering that he is 2 years older than Archambault (who played on a weak team) and barely outscored him (~14 less games)?

Just askin'.

Leblanc's points per game was significantly better, but you are right, we all know Leblanc had a disappointing season offensively. I think injuries had a lot to do with that. I don't expect him to ever be a big scorer, if he turns into a really good 3rd line winger who chips in offensively I will be satisfied.

Anyway, I really hope Couturier is sent back to junior and Archambault gets a chance to play with someone that good. His totals will go way up and he will gain big confidence. There's a good chance of it too since Philly shouldn't be in a rush especially with Brayden Schenn more NHL ready.

Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:

Just askin'.

I think the fact that he was team Canada's 3rd or 4th most effective forward while playing somewhat injuried should alliviate some of those concerns. Guys like Peter Holland and Scott Glennie who were drafted ahead of him couldn't even make that team.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:44 PM
ChoseLa

Richards numbers were similar to Leblanc's at the same age.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:50 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
When they were 19 Richards scored 1.34 points per game to Leblanc's 1.14. Richards also scored at 1.54 the year before. Not really all that similar. I like Leblanc but Richards isn't a good comparable.

Although if he scored at 1.4 PPG all year like he did before he got his injury then you'd have a point. I think that was more indicative of Leblanc's true talent but time will tell.

Old
06-29-2011, 11:58 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
When they were 19 Richards scored 1.34 points per game to Leblanc's 1.14. Richards also scored at 1.54 the year before. Not really all that similar. I like Leblanc but Richards isn't a good comparable.
Not to mention their 19 year old playoff numbers:

LL - 9 points in 10 games
MR - 28 points in 15 games

...not similar.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:09 AM
Talks to Goalposts

The thing I've begun to realize about Leblanc is that he's almost a Rorshach test of a prospect. He seems so balanced in his abilities that no person that comes up with a report on him ends up describing the same player. Some say skating is a strength, others a weakness. Some think he has a good shot, others a poor one. The most common thing I hear is that he's good at winning puck battles along the board but I've heard people on this board call that into question.

In comparison to NHLers I've heard as diverse examples as Sam Gagner and Mike Richards. Two players not often compared to one another.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:56 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Huh?

Their feet are way faster than their hands.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:04 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post

Although if he scored at 1.4 PPG all year like he did before he got his injury then you'd have a point. I think that was more indicative of Leblanc's true talent but time will tell.
I am actually surprised at the hate Leblanc gets around here. Maybe I just need to see more of him but I see a skilled hard working player that has a nice shot and does impressive work along the boards. I don't like his frame though, he looks really skinny although it doesn't appear to stop him coming winning most of his puck battles (granted I've only seen him 3 times in the USHL and 3 times in the NCAA and then in the wjc's)

I don't know how much his shoulder injury this year hampered his numbers, didn't really follow him too much in the Q, but I will get to see him a ton in Hamilton so I'll have a better feel for him by the end of next season.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:10 AM
expos4ever

Quote:
...Marc-Andre Thinel had 132 points in his draft year and 150 the year after that. Where is he now?...
France

expos4ever is offline   Reply With Quote