HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks trade Ehrhoff's rights to NYI (4th round pick in '12)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
This loss is a minor inconvenience IMO...provided Gillis finds legit top 6 help.
A minor inconvenience? Ehrhoff is a top 20-25 defenseman in the NHL...

The wrong dman got away.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:48 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I think people are exaggerating the impact of Ehrhoff. He had 21 ESP and Bieksa had 19. Where Ehrhoff thrived was on the PP but I don't think he's irreplaceable, to a large extent the reason he thrived is because he was on the #1 unit and got a ton of minutes there.
Chicken/egg though. Last season the second unit was much stronger than the first, and it had Ehrhoff QBing it. To my eye he's a guy that makes a difference in that regard.

Having trouble understanding this, personally. They aren't replacing Ehrhoff for any cheaper and they likely aren't getting the same quality either. It's going to be tough to ice a better or even similar strength team next season without Ehrhoff.

Old
Yammer

You need a slick puckhandling d with wheels to rush the puck up. Breakout plays are not always available, it really helps to be able to carry it out and be that end to end threat.

I wonder what the thinking is here. Is Connauton the guy? Would they sign Jovo if he's not resigned by Phoenix? Bieksa was heading in the direction of being that guy three or four years ago, but he seems like more of a drop-back containment defender now.

Old
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

vCash: 50
I think most people here are being short-sighted with their views.

Ehrhoff most likely wants 5M+ and he'll get that and more on the open market. Good for him, based on his stats he deserves it.

However, the guy was a salary dump by San Jose two years ago and that's when he was a 40pt guy. Nothing has really changed since then.

He's great on the offensive end but pretty horrible defensively. For 5M plus, you want your defenseman to be a solid 2-way player. Bieksa is better than Ehrhoff as a 2-way player, less so as a strictly offensive player.

I have no doubt MG has planned for this. We'll be fine.

I'd much rather him put together a big package and try and land a potential #1 d-man for slightly more than what Ehrhoff wants.

That and addressing the need for a legit Top 6 forward.

Trust the GM. He knows what he's doing.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse View Post
I'm fine with no Ehrhoff as long as we re-sign Salo, I think our defense still looks pretty damn good then.
Salo is good to be a depth guy who can fill-in in the top four. Relying on him to be there when you really need him is asking for failure (re: injury history).

Old
Awesome Sauce

Ehrhoff is a great player and it will be a big blow to lose him, but he is going to command a big contract from whichever team is lucky enough to sign him. Saw this one coming, sadly.

Old
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Chicken/egg though. Last season the second unit was much stronger than the first, and it had Ehrhoff QBing it. To my eye he's a guy that makes a difference in that regard.

Having trouble understanding this, personally. They aren't replacing Ehrhoff for any cheaper and they likely aren't getting the same quality either. It's going to be tough to ice a better or even similar strength team next season without Ehrhoff.
We'll see. To me he doesn't look like a QB.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post

Bingo. Look at at guy like Liles who makes 4+ million. He makes Ehrhoff look like Lidstrom.

Old
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerJibbs View Post
I can't blame Erhoff for not accepting 'Bieksa money' if that's true. He'll make millions more on the open market.
No, I don't blame him at all; offering him that sort of money is borderline insulting

Old
Soichiro
頑張れカナックス!

Quote:
I think most people here are being short-sighted with their views.

Ehrhoff mos tlikely wants 5M+ and he get that and more on the open market. Good for him, based on his stats he deserves it.

However, the guy was a salary dump by San Jose two years agao and that's when he was a 40pt guy. Nothing has really changed since then.

He's great on the offensive end but pretty horrible defensively. For 5M plus, you want your defenseman to be a solid 2-way player. Bieksa is better than Ehrhoff as a 2-way player, less so as a strictly offensive player.

I have no doubt MG has planned for this. We'll be fine.

I'd much rather him put together a big package and try and land a potential #1 d-man for slightly more than what Ehrhoff wants.

That and addressing the need for a legit Top 6 forward.

Trust the GM. He knows what he's doing.
Agreed.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
I think people are exaggerating the impact of Ehrhoff. He had 21 ESP and Bieksa had 19. Where Ehrhoff thrived was on the PP but I don't think he's irreplaceable, to a large extent the reason he thrived is because he was on the #1 unit and got a ton of minutes there.
And he had 30 PP points to Bieksa's 3...

The improved PP can be traced back to Ehrhoff. The twins were ineffective before he arrived with the man advantage. Then in '09-10 the 2nd unit quarterbacked by Ehrhoff outscored the Sedin unit. This past year Ehrhoff took the 1st unit to #1 in the NHL and the 2nd unit led by Bieksa was as futile as the league has ever seen.

If Ehrhoff isn't re-signed look for the PP to fall out of the top 10 IMO.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
Does this mean Ballard stay?
Gillis will break the news to AV gently.

Old
Shareefruck

What could we even get for the rights to Ehrhoff?

Old
hlrsr

... negotiating tactic?!?!

Old
06-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Gillis will break the news to AV gently.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:54 PM
KingBrodeur

It sucks that Ehrhoff is leaving, but it is the life or death situation that some are going on about.

Retain Salo for 1.5-2million and then throw the money earmarked for Ehrhoff at Wisneiwski, Jovo and Pitkanen and sign the first one that bites.

Jovo doesn't get as many points, but brings the grit. Wiz had more points and brings the grit and Pitkanen can replace the Hoff of the PP.

We'll be fine.

Old
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
You need a slick puckhandling d with wheels to rush the puck up. Breakout plays are not always available, it really helps to be able to carry it out and be that end to end threat.

I wonder what the thinking is here. Is Connauton the guy? Would they sign Jovo if he's not resigned by Phoenix? Bieksa was heading in the direction of being that guy three or four years ago, but he seems like more of a drop-back containment defender now.
Sounds like Ballard to me! Good old MG, one step ahead.

Old
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
And he had 30 PP points to Bieksa's 3...

The improved PP can be traced back to Ehrhoff. The twins were ineffective before he arrived with the man advantage. Then in '09-10 the 2nd unit quarterbacked by Ehrhoff outscored the Sedin unit. This past year Ehrhoff took the 1st unit to #1 in the NHL and the 2nd unit led by Bieksa was as futile as the league has ever seen.

If Ehrhoff isn't re-signed look for the PP to fall out of the top 10 IMO.
Bieksa had 25PP points in 08-09 before the arrival of Ehrhoff. If you look around the league, the PP setup usually has more to do with its effectiveness than any one particular player.

Old
Pascha

He was probably worth a 5M per year offer, but honestly - he'll make at least 6 on the open market. Good luck to him where-ever he lands.

Old
Barney Gumble

I'm waiting to hear from people who think Ehrhoff will be easy to replace with possible solutions that don't include an injury prone Salo on the wrong side of 30.

Quote:

Bieksa had 25PP points in 08-09 before the arrival of Ehrhoff. If you look around the league, the PP setup usually has more to do with its effectiveness than any one particular player.
..and he was more horrible defensively than Ehrhoff that season than Ehrhoff was this past season.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:55 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
A minor inconvenience? Ehrhoff is a top 20-25 defenseman in the NHL...

The wrong dman got away.
He's a top 15-20 offensively, but he's not even in the top 50 defensively.

Old
skywarp75

AV told Gillis "let him walk, dont worry man, we have aaron rome to take his spot next season"

Old
evgeni71

Maybe even take a flier on Barker, if Minny buys him out.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Horse
Go Canucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Salo is good to be a depth guy who can fill-in in the top four. Relying on him to be there when you really need him is asking for failure (re: injury history).
True.
I don't know, it seems like our defense managed to play through losing so many guys to injury, I just feel like they'll be able to compensate for the loss of one guy who one could argue is our 4th most important dman at times (I'd rather keep Hammer, Bieksa and Edler over Ehrhoff for sure).

Old
06-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Corb

Good negotiation tactic on MG's part. There is likely a part of Erhoff that wants to stay, and so far he's had all the leverage. MG has nothing to loose letting this leak out, and might gain a tiny bit of leverage.

Closed Thread