HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What was the deal with LaPierre

Old
06-28-2011, 01:19 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
You guys crack me up. Most of the people here had mostly positive things to say. Is it really such a back handed comment to tell the truth these days?

Okay Lapierre wasn't borderline useless for most of the regular season, he was a 100pt guy and Gauthier gave him away for nothing. Happy now?

Alright alright, it was a mutual agreement then
Vancouver fans recognize that he might not be good in the regular season, but they've had a bad run with their past 4th liners, so they at least appreciate getting a solid 4th liner while we have shown that we've been rather spoiled with good 4th line play.

Madam Kadri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
He didn't issue a formal trade request. He and Gauthier just had a convo and both sides came to a agreement that a trade would be the best for both parties.

http://www.allhabs.net/feature/au-revoir-maxim/
i say ->he asked to be moved
You reply ->he and the GM had a conversation and they BOTH agree on something....

That is like what you tell your wife when you get fired. "me and the boss had a conversation, and WE agreed that it was better for me to take my talents to another company."

It's the same thing.

p.s. yes, that was a Lebron reference.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:42 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Basically, Lapierre is a bottom 6 role player that thinks he's a top 6 player. The reason he was shipped out of Montreal was because he thought he deserved more ice time and a bigger role and management disagreed. In Anaheim, it was a matter of not fitting into the style of play that the coach had set up. In Vancouver, he fit in perfectly. He brought that element to the Canucks that they were lacking and in return, they rewarded him with more ice-time. Not that much more than he was getting in Montreal, though.

Honestly, I couldn't care less. He's a role player that belongs on every team's bottom 6 and nothing more. At the price he was signed, I would much rather have Ryan White than Lapierre. White may not ever put up the same production as Max, but he hits more, fights more and is the kind of guy that teammates love having around.

Want to know something funny? My wife, who is Francophone and LOVES Lapierre, said this to me; "If bringing back Lapierre comes at the expense of Ryan White, I wouldn't do it. I think White is a better player to have, in the role he plays, than Lapierre."
Totally agree, I just got fed up of Lapierre's attitude and his antics at times. White seems to have a better head on his shoulder and will bring some real toughness to the team.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I agree with the Vancouver fan board sentiment on Lapierre. Many Habs fans are just trying to justify yet another bad example of asset management.
On the contrary it's good asset mangement...get a pick and find a spot for a young player like White who is as good or better and costs less.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Vancouver fans recognize that he might not be good in the regular season, but they've had a bad run with their past 4th liners, so they at least appreciate getting a solid 4th liner while we have shown that we've been rather spoiled with good 4th line play.
I thought the reason why Lappy was gone was because he wasn't happy to be used as a 4th liner?

Anyway, this guy was good in the PO I admit but he doesn't offer much during the regular season.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
i say ->he asked to be moved
You reply ->he and the GM had a conversation and they BOTH agree on something....

That is like what you tell your wife when you get fired. "me and the boss had a conversation, and WE agreed that it was better for me to take my talents to another company."

It's the same thing.

p.s. yes, that was a Lebron reference.

Sometimes a firm is downsizing and they have to let someone go not because they don't have the space. Somtimes good employees are victims of such downsizing. Now, we didn't downsize, but we sure had a glut of players, and Lappy was deemed expendable.

That doesn't mean that he's suddenly a cancer who is adversely affecting the performance of his fellow employees. If you want to play psychologist, I suggest you learn a little more before running your mouth.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Jedrik

**** could that guy coast.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:02 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Sometimes a firm is downsizing and they have to let someone go not because they don't have the space. Somtimes good employees are victims of such downsizing. Now, we didn't downsize, but we sure had a glut of players, and Lappy was deemed expendable.

That doesn't mean that he's suddenly a cancer who is adversely affecting the performance of his fellow employees. If you want to play psychologist, I suggest you learn a little more before running your mouth.
To be honest I don't think that's what he was trying to say judging by his post. Just an analogy he used for the sake of using one, not that he was trying to say anything bad.

Just the point I think he was making is that whether or not Lapierre asked of Gauthier did isn't really relevant. What we know is talks were had and Lappy was gone. It isn't a stretch really to assume one of the sides started the talks. Whether it's Gauthier needing to move Lappy or Lappy asking to be moved. I'd assume if it was a mutual decision it was likely as a result of Lappy bringing it up though.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
To be honest I don't think that's what he was trying to say judging by his post. Just an analogy he used for the sake of using one, not that he was trying to say anything bad.

Just the point I think he was making is that whether or not Lapierre asked of Gauthier did isn't really relevant. What we know is talks were had and Lappy was gone. It isn't a stretch really to assume one of the sides started the talks. Whether it's Gauthier needing to move Lappy or Lappy asking to be moved. I'd assume if it was a mutual decision it was likely as a result of Lappy bringing it up though.
Players who are cancers do more than just ask for a trade request. They need to stir some real **** with their teammates and/or coaches. Aka, stir up "dissonance" in the locker room. My point is Lappy's trade could simply have been more (or solely) business than personal. It's not like both parties had to say "**** you, get the **** out of face" in order to reach a "mutual agreement", like with Lebron-Cleveland.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
On the contrary it's good asset mangement...get a pick and find a spot for a young player like White who is as good or better and costs less.
Exactly. I have a funny feeling that their minds will quickly change once they see Lapierre over the span of a full season.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddyjack View Post
Lapierre did well in the playoffs for Vancouver but he had the opportunity to fill out for Malhotra during his injury, and he did it well.

Next season however, with a full roster I'm very curious of how this is going to play out. I expect him to play a 4rth line role and he may be unhappy about that.
He won't be, and if they try to shift him to the wing to get more ice time, he becomes ineffective.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Lapierre sucked 98% of the time.
and he was president of the "complaint society"...

He had a great game here and there.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 03:45 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Lapierre downfall in Montreal started as soon as Jacque Martin became coach.It was crystal clear Lapierre was not one of his favorite , far from it.He basically lost his job to Tom Pyatt ( which is completely laughable ).Under Carbonneau Lapierre was very solid and he was always solid in the playoff regardless of situations (coach , role).He was a quebecois and for a montreal canadiens quebecois the off-ice issues were pretty low if they even ever existed.

Of course a team always can correct a mistake like losing a good player for basically nothing , but it's frustrating none-the-less as Lapierre was a fan favorite like it or not and you don't dump playoff warrors for players like Tommy Pyatt.

Anyway , just another reason out of the millions I have to hate Jacque Martin since the day he entered the NHL.Never would've I thought he was going to be our coach one day.Sad era.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:08 AM
Padrino86

Some people here really have selective memory.

Lapierre wanted to play on the PK, Jacques Martin thought he had better forward to fulfill that role. Lapierre whined to Gauthier, Gauthier traded him.

That's it really.

What you saw is pretty much what you will get next year, except he can go on very long stretch where you don't notice him, especially on the road.

He is a legitimate 4th liner on ANY nhl team. Borderline 3rd liner. He is NOT a cancer and he shows up in big games. Anybody saying otherwise is just a hater.

Last edited by Padrino86: 06-29-2011 at 04:14 AM.
Padrino86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:50 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Lapierre downfall in Montreal started as soon as Jacque Martin became coach.It was crystal clear Lapierre was not one of his favorite , far from it.He basically lost his job to Tom Pyatt ( which is completely laughable ).Under Carbonneau Lapierre was very solid and he was always solid in the playoff regardless of situations (coach , role).He was a quebecois and for a montreal canadiens quebecois the off-ice issues were pretty low if they even ever existed.

Of course a team always can correct a mistake like losing a good player for basically nothing , but it's frustrating none-the-less as Lapierre was a fan favorite like it or not and you don't dump playoff warriors for players like Tommy Pyatt.

Anyway , just another reason out of the millions I have to hate Jacque Martin since the day he entered the NHL.Never would've I thought he was going to be our coach one day.Sad era.
slightly OT, but speaking of the bolded part, where were your praise for #13 in the last two PO runs ?

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

Ryan White is what Lappy should have been.

Love Whitey!

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post

Of course a team always can correct a mistake like losing a good player for basically nothing , but it's frustrating none-the-less as Lapierre was a fan favorite like it or not and you don't dump playoff warrors for players like Tommy Pyatt.

Lapierre played top 6 winger that year for some time. He played 76 games and played one more game than Pyatt did in the playoffs.

Martin clearly didn't dislike Lapierre. Lappy played himself out of his spot. Can't believe how easily the JM hate turns people into ignorant whiners. What a joke.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:

How do you know Lappy, as you call him, was deemed expendable? You know this because of your deep conversations with the GM? All we know are the facts. He asked to be traded.

"We" did not downsize anything. The Habs traded away a player for an asset.

And yes, it does mean that an unhappy guy changes the morale of a group. I can prove it too....you know it from your own family life and any other group you are in. When someone is pissed off, it affects everyone.

And about me running my mouth.... that is just uncalled for. It is simply untrue. No need to put on your "internet tough guy" costume.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
How do you know Lappy, as you call him, was deemed expendable? You know this because of your deep conversations with the GM? All we know are the facts. He asked to be traded.
“We had a discussion. I didn’t really ask to be traded but I wanted to know where things were at for me,” he said. “I asked if I was part of their plans and they pretty much said no."
Source: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...-lapierre.html
Your word against his about what is FACT.

Quote:
"We" did not downsize anything. The Habs traded away a player for an asset.
I didn't say we downsized. I said his departure was similar to a downsizing company letting go of employees.

When Lapierre was traded, we had a Pleks, Gomez, DD, Halpern, and him as centers and he was rotating with other fourth line players on the wing since the center spots were all locked up. That combined with his quote above does hint strongly that he was "expendable".

Quote:
And yes, it does mean that an unhappy guy changes the morale of a group. I can prove it too....you know it from your own family life and any other group you are in. When someone is pissed off, it affects everyone.

And about me running my mouth.... that is just uncalled for. It is simply untrue. No need to put on your "internet tough guy" costume.
No, you want to play Industrial-Organization psychologist, you better do more than appeal to mere intuition to "prove" that he's solely to blame. Not that Lappy didn't affect morale at all, but to what extent he did isn't so clear cut and dry, nor is "who started it".

Old
06-29-2011, 05:04 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Not sure why Montreal basically dumped LaPierre.

He was very strong player for the Canucks during the playoffs. Strong on the draw, good checker, good on the PK and at least some offense.

Hard to understand why he was bounced around.

Maybe we'll find some problems in his game next season but at this point looks like a very good bottom 6 player.
well that's exactly what he was for us, but fans here hated the guy because he did not fight enough....while he had a bad season.... and martin hated him because he dared to ask if he could play more than selke candidate tom pyatt ... who, we thought, figured in the plans.

I believe he had attitude and all, but what's irritating is the fact that we let other players walk that could have fit the bill ... like moore ... and we will go on and trade our traditionnal 2nd for a depth guy again this year.

Last edited by THE HOFF: 06-29-2011 at 05:12 PM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Travis Moen

One of my favourite all time habs player...

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:05 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Lapierre played top 6 winger that year for some time. He played 76 games and played one more game than Pyatt did in the playoffs.

Martin clearly didn't dislike Lapierre. Lappy played himself out of his spot. Can't believe how easily the JM hate turns people into ignorant whiners. What a joke.
What's funny is that he lost his spot to guys like Eller and Desharnais, the two guys people were ragging on Martin for not giving enough ice time to.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:02 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
“We had a discussion. I didn’t really ask to be traded but I wanted to know where things were at for me,” he said. “I asked if I was part of their plans and they pretty much said no."
Source: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...-lapierre.html
Your word against his about what is FACT.

No, you want to play Industrial-Organization psychologist, you better do more than appeal to mere intuition to "prove" that he's solely to blame. Not that Lappy didn't affect morale at all, but to what extent he did isn't so clear cut and dry, nor is "who started it".
OK, you got me with the interview. I did not see that same text elsewhere, and we will take the LA Times at their word. That does nothing to change that an unhappy person radiates bad vibes. It does not take a psychologist to understand that. The extent is not somethimng anyone can ever quantify, but it was clear friom how quick they moved him, that the team felt it was or could be a distraction.

As far as blame, who the hell cares who is to blame and who started what. The result is the guy wanted more, the team moved him.

I liked Lapierre's play (besides not always backing up the talk with the walk), at times I believed he was really developing into a player the Habs could use for years. The Habs management disagreed.

I do not like the way the Habs seem to make moves like this one and O'Byrne with no obvious replacement coming back, or someone from the minors who can step in right away. It reaks of reactionary knee jerking. If they did not have a plan for Lapierre, they should have been proactive and move him, instead of letting him fester and acting out of a position of weakness.

Last edited by Joe Cole: 06-30-2011 at 10:15 AM.