HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks trade Ehrhoff's rights to NYI (4th round pick in '12)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I love that you always give the credit to the 2nd PP unit in 09/10 and the 1st unit in 10/11 to Ehrhoff and completely brush over the part where Ryan Kesler was on those units. You really think Ehrhoff was more important on the #1 PP unit than getting a 40 goal scorer on there who always took the attention of the #1 defenseman away from the Sedins?

Ehrhoff is a good offensive defenseman, but he's just barely made it to being a 50 point guy in his career. He fulfilled a role that Edler can probably step into this season.
The thing is, wasn't Edler on the #2 unit last year? So that's 3 guys that moved from #2 unit to the #1 unit. The setup is also completely different than in prior years.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Heh, ya I would not put any faith whatsoever in Kevin Bieksa replacing anyone's PP output...the days are gone for that guy. Solid 20-25 point defensive focused type from here on out I think. In fact, outside of Edler I dunno who the heck is going to produce on this blue line. Bring home Jovo?

Old
06-28-2011, 03:07 PM
VC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post

Hai Guyz

You'd think he would be able to get near the same dollars as Ehrhoff.

Old
Flik
Canucks fan for life

Bleh, love the Hoff, but I think we all saw this coming a mile away.

Old
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I love that you always give the credit to the 2nd PP unit in 09/10 and the 1st unit in 10/11 to Ehrhoff and completely brush over the part where Ryan Kesler was on those units. You really think Ehrhoff was more important on the #1 PP unit than getting a 40 goal scorer on there who always took the attention of the #1 defenseman away from the Sedins?

Ehrhoff is a good offensive defenseman, but he's just barely made it to being a 50 point guy in his career. He fulfilled a role that Edler can probably step into this season.
The same thing happened in San Jose though. In 08/09, their second unit with Setoguchi and Michalek was their most productive with Ehrhoff QBing it. The next season it fell of the face of the earth.

Ehrhoff isn't the only reason the PPs have been effective, but he's been a big part of it.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:08 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Starting to feel to me like Gillis is really serious on taking a legit run at Weber. We've already heard rumblings about it, and it almost feels like he was trying to get Ehrhoff to sign for a big discount, or else he was going to let him walk and shift his focus.

I love Ehrhoff, but I don't think this will be a massive loss. The cap space we save from not signing him will be used somewhere, and I think we'll all be pleased in the end.

I completely trust Gillis.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:09 PM
VC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
Edler can and has played the right side.
Not nearly as well though. Vigneault has always been a coach who prefers players playing their natural side.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:09 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Guess this means Sammy and Edler man the points on the first unit. Salo and Bieksa on the second?

Or maybe...just maybe...Ballard will get second unit PP time.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:10 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC View Post
Guess why nobody is really talking about Hannan is becuase the Canucks already have Hamhuis, Edler, Ballard and Rome sign for the left side with only Bieksa and Tanev signed for the right side. If he has any mobility would look alright inplace of Ballard if hes moved though the priority should be filling out the right side.
Babchuk?

RH D, 6'5, 215lbs (with obvious problems in the D zone...) but likely more like $2.25 mil or so. Managed to go a +14 last season between the Canes/Flames.

Old
Horrorshow

You're Tearing Me Apart, Gillis!!!!

Old
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Ehrhoff was the Sharks most prolific PP producer in his final year there - moreso than Dan Boyle.
No he wasn't.

Old
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Ehrhoff's agent, who last talked with the team this morning, is surprised by the leak.

This might not be over.

Hmmm...

Ehrhoff: "Umm Rick I hear you're done negotiating with the canucks. Why?"
Rick:"Believe me Christian I'm as surprised by that report as you are."
Rck:"Hey Mike. It seems I might have been a bit premature in terminating those talks."

Old
Anzes Eyes
5th line centre

It is a dream... a prayer but:

Rights of Erhoff for the rights of Shea Weber. Apparently, NSH can't agree and I'd be willing to throw money at Shea even if it might cause us some depth problems. With a premier defenseman this team would be SHOCKING!

Old
hlrsr

I'm surprised that there isn't a bit more worry here about this. Ehrhoff is our only defenseman that has real offensive flair and at the same time he can take a regular shift on D. Guys like Edler have some talent but they don't skate and shoot the puck with the swagger Ehrhoff does offensively.

Still hoping this is a negotiating tactic.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:11 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

****...he probably goes to Detroit if he makes it to UFA. It's going to weaken us and make one of our Western Competitors stronger. I hate this.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:12 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25EvaJ View Post

Rights of Erhoff for the rights of Shea Weber. Apparently, NSH can't agree and I'd be willing to throw money at Shea even if it might cause us some depth problems. With a premier defenseman this team would be SHOCKING!
Nashville is taking him to arbitration so they'll have an agreement. Any offer is going to have to blow them away and the rights of a UFA D-man barely creates a breeze.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25EvaJ View Post

Completely different situations. Weber is a restricted free agent. I'd rather us look at one of the forward RFAs than Weber.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
The same thing happened in San Jose though. In 08/09, their second unit with Setoguchi and Michalek was their most productive with Ehrhoff QBing it. The next season it fell of the face of the earth.

Ehrhoff isn't the only reason the PPs have been effective, but he's been a big part of it.
I'm not denying that. He moves the puck well, has an effective shot, and he's a good stickhandler. But I wouldn't pay 6.0 million a year for a guy that at times needs to be sheltered at ES (though strangely is a very good PK defender) and only scores 50 points. If you're going to pay that kind of money, you better be getting a guy that can touch 60 points -- or at least hit 50-55 consistently and/or be a top-pairing guy defensively. In my opinion, anyway.

Old
Toblerone
RIP Hickstead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
****...he probably goes to Detroit if he makes it to UFA. It's going to weaken us and make one of our Western Competitors stronger. I hate this.
This is what I don't want to see, but it is a very good possibility.

He would fit in with that team like a glove

Old
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
Nashville is taking him to arbitration so they'll have an agreement. Any offer is going to have to blow them away and the rights of a UFA D-man barely creates a breeze.
They will trade him before they let him walk into that arbitration hearing. Last thing they want is for him to get a 1 year contract and become a UFA.

Old
ugghhh

(for the PP, if Ehrhoff is gone) I'd like them to try out Hamhuis-Edler, at least for spurts. Both lefties, but I think Hamhuis as good vision and passing from the point on the PP and works well with the Sedins. Have Edler set up on the right side for one timers. I think Hamhuis also allows us to have a more fluid set-up than a guy like Salo (although I guess Samuelsson also provides this, I'm just not a huge fan of him on the point), which might let Kesler release up to the top of the slot/circles and use his wrist shot.

Old
Balls Mahoney
wants more Sesito

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC View Post
You'd think he would be able to get near the same dollars as Ehrhoff.
Yeah but he'd actually be worth 'em.

06-28-2011, 03:15 PM
VC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Babchuk?

RH D, 6'5, 215lbs (with obvious problems in the D zone...) but likely more like $2.25 mil or so. Managed to go a +14 last season between the Canes/Flames.
Even though he played for the Flames last year I don't remember much about Babchuk. Good size and a good shot and a running joke on the main boards is all that I can recall about him for some reason.

There is also Salo and Montador for the right side aswell.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugghhh View Post
I'd like them to try out Hamhuis-Edler, at least for spurts. Both lefties, but I think Hamhuis as good vision and passing from the point on the PP and works well with the Sedins. Have Edler set up on the right side for one timers. I think Hamhuis also allows us to have a more fluid set-up than a guy like Salo (although I guess Samuelsson also provides this, I'm just not a huge fan of him on the point), which might let Kesler release up to the top of the slot/circles and use his wrist shot.
Hamhuis doesn't have good offensive vision, at all. Use Bieksa if we don't sign anyone else, at least he has a proven track record.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Proto

I would probably go as high as 5.5 for Ehrhoff, but only if it was a deal for 4 years or less. If he wants extra years it would have to drop down to just north of 5.

Closed Thread