HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks trade Ehrhoff's rights to NYI (4th round pick in '12)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2011, 02:17 PM
thenextone

vCash: 500
Weber is going to arbitration so we can't even send him an offer sheet. Nashville won't walk away no matter what bc he will get Keith money as an award.

As for people disparaging Bieksa's PP number and the 2nd unit in general...you guys do realize the first unit routinely played more than 90 seconds out of every PP right? The 2nd unit usually cleaned up 20 seconds per PP and barely had a chance

Old
06-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrorshow View Post
You're Tearing Me Apart, Gillis!!!!
The Room!!!

ahahahha

Old
06-28-2011, 02:18 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Man...I don't like this at all.

Old
VC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Yeah but he'd actually be worth 'em.
He definitely has all of the tools to be a stud #1. Never really put it all together. One would wonder if this coaching staff and system can do anything for him?

Old
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Hamhuis doesn't have good offensive vision, at all. Use Bieksa if we don't sign anyone else, at least he has a proven track record.
They might just stick with Samuelsson on the 1st unit and go with some combination of Bieksa/Salo/Ballard on the 2nd unit.

Or Brad Richards on the first...

Old
06-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Man...I don't like this at all.
Neither do I; to be honest this is the main issue I have with the Bieksa contract. I don't mind paying the guy the money, but it pretty much negated any chance we had of re-signing Ehrhoff as soon as pen hit paper. To offer Ehrhoff the same money as Bieksa is downright stupid. I'd have sooner let Bieksa walk and kept Ehrhoff at higher salary well replacing Bieksa by committee with guys like Montador and Ballard. Knock off Bieksa's salary and replace him with a more affordable guy and giving Ehrhoff $6 million doesn't look as daunting to me. If I'm Ehrhoff looking at a guy like Bieksa making $4.6 million on an apparent 'discount' I'm thinking I'm worth $6+ mill per year.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Crows*

Ballard of mallard insurance.

This is the reason they aquired him.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

If this means that we're able to land a legit top 6 forward with the money we would have been spending on Ehrhoff, then so be it.

Gillis, package Ehrhoff, Hodgson, and Schroeder to Nashville for Weber. Get it DONE.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Neither do I; to be honest this is the main issue I have with the Bieksa contract. I don't mind paying the guy the money, but it pretty much negated any chance we had of re-signing Ehrhoff as soon as pen hit paper. To offer Ehrhoff the same money as Bieksa is downright stupid. I'd have sooner let Bieksa walk and kept Ehrhoff at higher salary well replacing Bieksa by committee with guys like Montador and Ballard. Knock off Bieksa's salary and replace him with a more affordable guy and giving Ehrhoff $6 million doesn't look as daunting to me. If I'm Ehrhoff looking at a guy like Bieksa making $4.6 million on an apparent 'discount' I'm thinking I'm worth over $6+ mill per year.

Ehrhoff is not worth 6 million.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:25 PM
VC

Quote:
Hamhuis doesn't have good offensive vision, at all. Use Bieksa if we don't sign anyone else, at least he has a proven track record.

It just too back the kind of points he put up in Junior and the minors didn't carry on into the NHL. One blip of a 38 point season and then averages out around 25 points a season.

A guess to powerplay point men if nobody else is brought in...

Edler - Ballard/Hamhuis
Samuelsson - Bieksa

Old
06-28-2011, 02:25 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Neither do I; to be honest this is the main issue I have with the Bieksa contract. I don't mind paying the guy the money, but it pretty much negated any chance we had of re-signing Ehrhoff as soon as pen hit paper. To offer Ehrhoff the same money as Bieksa is downright stupid. I'd have sooner let Bieksa walk and kept Ehrhoff at higher salary well replacing Bieksa by committee with guys like Montador and Ballard. Knock off Bieksa's salary and replace him with a more affordable guy and giving Ehrhoff $6 million doesn't look as daunting to me. If I'm Ehrhoff looking at a guy like Bieksa making $4.6 million on an apparent 'discount' I'm thinking I'm worth $6+ mill per year.
Agreed. I think Ehrhoff is worth 5-5.25, but not more. It is a bit weird that they haven't offered him close to that.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:27 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextone View Post
Weber is going to arbitration so we can't even send him an offer sheet. Nashville won't walk away no matter what bc he will get Keith money as an award.
Argh. I wish people would educate themselves on the arbitration process. They will trade him sooner than they let him go to arbitration because the result of that arbitration hearing will be a one year contract taking him to UFA. If they can't re-sign him right now while he's an RFA, what chance do they have of doing it when he has the option of actually testing free agency?

They gave themselves more time but if they can't sign him before the hearing he will be traded. At least that way they would get a whole bunch of top assets in return.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:27 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC View Post
Even though he played for the Flames last year I don't remember much about Babchuk. Good size and a good shot and a running joke on the main boards is all that I can recall about him for some reason.

There is also Salo and Montador for the right side aswell.
Babchuk is like a bigger Salo, but not quite as mobile.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Crows*

Someone create a picture of gillis as Boris from rocky and Bullwinkle. He has an evil plan. He's stroking his Stache.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:28 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
The Room!!!

ahahahha
Hello doggy!!!

Old
06-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Momesso

There's no way Nashville would take a gamble on Erhoff. They're pretty stingy.

You could make an argument that it's worth overpaying Erhoff to some extent if it means we can dangle Ballard for a top 6 forward.

But losing Erhoff is not the end of the world. He's been injured two years in a row now in the playoffs and has been rendered a major liability as a result.

I just hope he doesn't land in Chicago.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variant View Post
Ehrhoff is not worth 6 million.
Almost nobody is worth what they get on July 1st.

Especially when it's a weak UFA market, they're an offensive D-man, and the salary cap just went up.

I think he'll get Rafalski's money.

Old
vanwest

I don't think that we can replace what Ehrhoff brought to the team. We had the number one power play and Ehrhoff was the quarterback. I can't see any player on our team who can do what he does. His defensive game has some flaws but he was a huge part of our offence from the defence that led this team to the President's Trophy. His poor performance in the finals probably makes it easy to forget what he did during the year and the rest of the playoffs. If we could get him signed for $5.25 or less than I think we should do it. If it's more than that then I agree we should let him walk.

Old
ugghhh

Quote:
I disagree. I don't think he found a place on the PP last year, and definitely didn't always make great plays in the offensive zone. But, he showed a lot of flashes playing with the Sedins. He made a lot of passes to them that the other defenseman on our team are unlikely to see/make. I think if he gets more time and they put in the work, he has a bit more of an understanding of what the Sedins are going to do. IIRC, I think there was a quote in the papers at one point where the one of the Sedins even mentioned this.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Variant

Hoff isn't worth a contract more then 5 million, and the last thing this team needs is an albatross contract. Losing Ehrhoff will hurt our transition game and our PP, but then again our PP wasn't exactly doing any favors for us during the finals. If anything this gives an opportunity for Ballard to step in, that is if the coaching doesn't want to destroy he's confidence first.

What the Canucks need is to save money and add more stability and reliability in the back end. The back end fell to pieces without Hamhuis and Rome. I think they should add another guy in that vein, which is why I hope they go after Montador.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
No he wasn't.
Yes he was. Ehrhoff led the Sharks in PP points per minute - well ahead of Dan Boyle, while being on the 2nd unit...

Old
06-28-2011, 02:39 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variant View Post
Hoff isn't worth a contract more then 5 million, and the last thing this team needs is an albatross contract. Losing Ehrhoff will hurt our transition game and our PP, but then again our PP wasn't exactly doing any favors for us during the finals. If anything this gives an opportunity for Ballard to step in, that is if the coaching doesn't want to destroy he's confidence first.

What the Canucks need is to save money and add more stability and reliability in the back end. The back end fell to pieces without Hamhuis and Rome. I think they should add another guy in that vein, which is why I hope they go after Montador.
Ehrhoff was playing in the finals with a separated shoulder. Kesler, Edler and Henrik were also playing hurt. That's why our PP wasn't working.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Bleach Clean

Ehrhoff's rights for Wisnieski's rights?

Old
06-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Hello doggy!!!
LickTheEnvelope, Seems to me, that you're an EXPERT

Old
06-28-2011, 02:44 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Ehrhoff's rights for Wisnieski's rights?
Gillis should be all over that. Get him out of the West and away from Chicago/Detroit.

However, I don't see Montreal doing that. THey got Markov back and have Subban as well.

Closed Thread