HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Potvin vs. Robinson

Closed Thread

Old
09-01-2005, 11:11 PM
arrbez
bad chi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Potvin vs. Robinson

Larry Robinson

Vs.

Denis Potvin

Both won multiple Norris' and were key cogs in their respective dynasties. I never saw either play at their prime.

So for those who did see them, who was better?

Old
09-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Larry Robinson was a superb player.

Denis Potvin is the second greatest defenseman in my lifetime.

Old
09-01-2005, 11:23 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

The guy with the record for career +/- and second best single season +/-, Larry Robinson. Robinson is quite simply the most complete player I ever saw play defense.

Old
09-01-2005, 11:23 PM
Corey

By a narrow margin I'd take Robinson: better defensively, better fighter, longer career.

Old
09-01-2005, 11:27 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez
Larry Robinson

Vs.

Denis Potvin

Both won multiple Norris' and were key cogs in their respective dynasties. I never saw either play at their prime.

So for those who did see them, who was better?

WOW, This is a good one!

I think I'd take Potvin though. He was nasty to play against, he could fight, he could score a ton of points was probably one of the most complete defensemen I've ever seen.

I also think he never gets truely enough credit for his incredible career.

Old
09-01-2005, 11:58 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Larry Robinson was a superb player.

Denis Potvin is the second greatest defenseman in my lifetime.
Out of curiosity, is that behind Bourque? Or are you old enough to have seen Orr?

Old
09-02-2005, 08:19 AM
mcphee

Potvin, if you broke down individual skills, comes out ahead, but not as much in actual play. Potvin could do it all really well and would dominate his part of the ice. Robinson maybe came in just a bit under him. He had a penchant for passing up the middle to a streaking Lafleur or Cournoyer, passes that would drive Bowman nuts. Larry had the advantage of playing beside one of the all time greats,while Potvin played beside excellent players but no one who is close to Savard. That doesn't diminish Robinson, but it is a factor. Robinson's easily one of my all time favorites, I think is one of the finest people to play the game, but I'd have to take Potvin. I hate to though. When comparing players like this,you tend to forget about Serge Savard. I don't know if we listed him in the what if thread,but without his injuries,he'd be just a notch below Orr. In the 68 or 69 playoffs [I forget which] he was doing things that you just didn't see from anyone else,other than Orr. There was no limit to what he could have done. He became a great all around d men and the underrated member of the big 3 out of necessity when his mobility diminished.

Old
09-02-2005, 01:07 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Both are great defencemen. I'd give the edge to Potvin.

Old
09-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
When comparing players like this,you tend to forget about Serge Savard. I don't know if we listed him in the what if thread,but without his injuries,he'd be just a notch below Orr. In the 68 or 69 playoffs [I forget which] he was doing things that you just didn't see from anyone else,other than Orr. There was no limit to what he could have done. He became a great all around d men and the underrated member of the big 3 out of necessity when his mobility diminished.
I can almost remember the broken leg he suffered running into the old goal posts. There was a time when there was no give to them. I don't think it was long after his injury that the collapsible pegs came out. It was one of those injuries that looked awful on the replay.

As to the original question, I believe they are very comparable players so I'd flip a coin. I would take Robinson if forced to choose, partly because I saw alot more of him. But I always respected Potvin and his importance to the Islanders dynasty.

Old
09-02-2005, 11:11 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez
Out of curiosity, is that behind Bourque? Or are you old enough to have seen Orr?
Orr.

I have vague memories of #4, albeit post-1972.

I am convinced that I will never see a greater hockey player in my life.

Old
09-03-2005, 12:01 AM
Darth Milbury

Potvin was the far more explosive player offensively. Probably the better skater.

Robinson was no more physical, but more intimidating (because of his size). I remember when Montreal turned him lose on the wing, and he terrorized dmen.

There were both stellar defensive dmen.

Which was better? Hard to say. But, I will say that I none of the "greats" of the recent generation (Lidstrom, Pronger, or even Borque) were the equal of Potvin and Larry R.

Old
09-03-2005, 02:12 AM
Charge_Seven

Felix Potvin by a long shot

Old
09-03-2005, 11:14 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Potvin was the far more explosive player offensively. Probably the better skater.

Robinson was no more physical, but more intimidating (because of his size). I remember when Montreal turned him lose on the wing, and he terrorized dmen.

There were both stellar defensive dmen.

Which was better? Hard to say. But, I will say that I none of the "greats" of the recent generation (Lidstrom, Pronger, or even Borque) were the equal of Potvin and Larry R.
After posting,I was thinking that Bourque was similar to Potvin in that defensively, esp. down low, he depended on lower body strength to just pin,or neutralize guys. If either of those 2 got leverage, you weren't going anywhere. Larry would take guys off the rush and pin them ,or drive them to the boards, much higher in the zone. You don't see D men taking guys to the outside like that anymore. Of those 3, Potvin had by far the 'mean streak', that you like to see. My only criticism of Bourque is that I thought that in his 1st 3 or 4 seasons, he would get beat a lot 1 on 1. His defensive game took time to devekop. That's pretty weak criticism though because it did develop and you know what kind of player he became. Early on though,I thought he got credit before it was due. I'd rate them Potvin,Bourque,Larry, as 1A,1B,1C, though I'd still wear my Hab glasses and draft Robinson 10 times out of 10.

Old
09-05-2005, 01:20 AM
Hyped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
But, I will say that I none of the "greats" of the recent generation (Lidstrom, Pronger, or even Borque) were the equal of Potvin and Larry R.
No question here. Bourque would be closest, but still not quite there...

Closed Thread