HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez trade in the works? LEGIT SOURCES ONLY

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2011, 03:55 PM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Pierre Gauthier loves to help the Lightning organization.

So why not we trade Gomez for Lecavalier?

With the money they save, they are okay to sign Stamkos!

And on our side, we have a big centerman, a little bit better than Gomez, but with a horrible contract. BUT it prevent us to have Stamkos on the Maple Leafs or on the Flyers.
We will only be complaining about Gomez for 3 years more if not 1. Don't think I could handle the complaints for the next 8 years with Vinnie!

Old
06-28-2011, 03:55 PM
billy piton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post
To those who say that there are no free agents to replace Gomez THIS year, if you get the opportunity to dump the contract you do it. Next year the FA crop might be better, but Gomez will be a year older and may or may not be coming off a bounce-back season.
if he doesn't bounce back we could dump him to minors and buy him out following year.

it is much safer choice than playing next season with plekanec and the couple of unproven kids.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:56 PM
usernam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post
To those who say that there are no free agents to replace Gomez THIS year, if you get the opportunity to dump the contract you do it. Next year the FA crop might be better, but Gomez will be a year older and may or may not be coming off a bounce-back season. Moreover, the cap space can be used at the trade deadline or frankly next off-season. Just because we have cap space doesn't mean we have to use it immediately.

And for what it's worth, I think Lars or DD playing with Gionta and a health MaxPac would do very nicely, particularly if you factor in Lars' upgrade over Gomez defensively.
The FA crop next year is actually worse in terms of centermen. If we want to replace Gomez on the short term, we have to rely on trading for a #2 centerman. I don't think Martin has much faith in giving that many minutes to Eller or DD.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 06-28-2011 at 04:41 PM. Reason: you know why...
Old
06-28-2011, 04:15 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
While I cannot argue that the contract is terrible, I think your exagerating a little when you say he's just a "bit" better.
The problem with Lecavalier is defense. Despite all the whinging about him, Gomez has been on the ice for no more goals than Plekanec. Lecavalier, OTOH, was literally the worst at it for the Bolts for a couple years back then (now, granted, the Bolts were terribad at that time).

Old
06-28-2011, 04:18 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The problem with Lecavalier is defense. Despite all the whinging about him, Gomez has been on the ice for no more goals than Plekanec. Lecavalier, OTOH, was literally the worst at it for the Bolts for a couple years back then (now, granted, the Bolts were terribad at that time).
Gomez also has Gionta as a winger who excels defensively. Not trying to a paint picture in which Vinny is good defensively (he isn't) but Gomez isn't much better if at all.

The pro's vastly out way the con's, all things considered on the ice.

Old
06-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles30 View Post
I understand that. But all the floor teams need to spend money this year. If they add money on multi-year contracts (such as Brian Campbell of UFA signings) then they will already be at the cap floor next year. If they are already at the cap floor, the savings from Gomez's contract are irrelevant.
I doubt all those teams will sign players to multi year contracts and suddenly all be at the cap floor.

Old
06-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post
The FA crop next year is actually worse in terms of centermen. If we want to replace Gomez on the short term, we have to rely on trading for a #2 centerman. I don't think Martin has much faith in giving that many minutes to Eller or DD.
I think the FA crop next year is worse than this year in general. If we can get rid of Gomez's contract we should do it right now, but the results wont be immediate. We'd have to wait on Eller and Desharnais to fight it off. I'm not sure why people seem to believe that Martin has a vendetta against young players. The other option would be to sign Richards, but I wouldn't throw big money at him.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 06-28-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: really?
Old
06-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
We will only be complaining about Gomez for 3 years more if not 1. Don't think I could handle the complaints for the next 8 years with Vinnie!
the guy will be top3 scorers on this team, peoples won't complaint

Old
06-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post
Exactly. As good as Stamkos is, the compensation would most likely be 4th 1st rounder. I know it's interesting but it's too much sacrifice, it's not in the Habs' philosophy aswell.
I would not hesitate to trade 4 1st rounders for Stamkos. Not a second

Old
06-28-2011, 04:35 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
I would do it if we hadn't pissed away McDonagh.

Old
06-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
I would do it if we hadn't pissed away McDonagh.
Which is ironic, since we'd get rid of the guy we traded McDonagh for, in order to get Stamkos.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:03 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

A few years ago eveybody on this board said Theodore's contract was unmovable adn Gainey traded it to Colorado. At 5 million a year for 3 more years in a 39 million total payroll, it was as bad as Gomez today at 7 million a year. You can never tell by these things.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:10 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Carey Price,Louis Leblanc, Jarred Tinordi, Nathan Beauilieu, Max Pacioretty, PK Subban. Our drafting has been nothing short of outstanding the past few years. On a team that relies so heavily on building from within, you would want to sacrafice four more potantial Subbans or Paccioretty's or Price's.
You would give up all that for one player?

Old
06-28-2011, 05:14 PM
HeShootsHeScores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
the guy will be top3 scorers on this team, peoples won't complaint
You serious? ak quarantesix is top3 scorer...and you know how people like to complain about him.

Old
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
Carey Price,Louis Leblanc, Jarred Tinordi, Nathan Beauilieu, Max Pacioretty, PK Subban. Our drafting has been nothing short of outstanding the past few years. On a team that relies so heavily on building from within, you would want to sacrafice four more potantial Subbans or Paccioretty's or Price's.
The only one proven on that list is Price. Subban looks great but still only 1 year and even less for Patches. Stamkos is going to be a stud for years and other than Price and Subban, I would trade all of the others (combined) straight up for Stamkos - not that Tampa would do it.

Old
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
For Stamkos? In a heartbeat. (Also, Subban was a second rounder.)

Old
06-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Celtic Cross

apparentley, and i read this on the trade boards, but on a twitter account somebodys saying Gomez has been informed about a trade might be coming

Old
06-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Cross View Post
apparentley, and i read this on the trade boards, but on a twitter account somebodys saying Gomez has been informed about a trade might be coming
I made that twitter account 2 hours ago.

Thank you.

Closed Thread