HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs to Offer Hamrlik a Contract? (Yyyyikes!) (UPD: Offered 1-yr contract post #683)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Considering it's a 1 year deal, I'd be very suprised if Hammer signs for less than 3M. He made 5.5 last year and had one of his best seasons as a hab last year. I wouldn't have any problem giving around 3.5M TBH.

The only thing that I really wish is getting rid of Spacek.
Didn't he say he'd take a discount to stay here? Pretty sure I read that somewhere.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:28 PM
le_sean

If he is given more than one year I will fly to Montreal and slap Gauthier.

Bad enough I'd have to watch that clown for one more season.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
Didn't he say he'd take a discount to stay here? Pretty sure I read that somewhere.
Yeah he did, but considering it'd be a 1 year deal, I believe that alone inflates his demand in terms.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:29 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

If you live in Ottawa why not just drive?

In any event, I'd pay your gas or air travel for you to follow through with it and post a video of it on YT.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:

Why do you hate Hamrlik that much? Imagine last season without him.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:33 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
35+ contracts are one of the biggest handicaps you can give yourself. There is zero, and I mean absolutely zero, reason to give Hammer a multi-year deal instead of a one year deal. Whatever amount you might save (500k?) offering him a couple of years pales in comparison to the ability to a) re-evaluate his role on a year-to-year basis, b) have the flexibility mid-season to bury him if he plays his way out of the lineup or if a trade opportunity comes up, and c) protect yourself if Hammer decides to hang them up at a moments notice.

If we were that concerned about saving 500k we would of sent Laraque to Wheeling rather than do him the favor of buying him out.

Journeymen are what they are, the moment you start giving them term on their contracts is when they stop being journeymen and start posing the risk for problems down the road.
Oh wow, two years, such a long contract. Come on man, you have watched Hammer for the last FOUR YEARS, you don't think he has another two years in him? The guy is a stalwart, in excellent shape, never gets injured, and plays big minutes.

C) is pretty much hogwash, you know if he signs a two year contract right now, he is not retiring in that contract. The chances of him doing so, is incredibly low.

Three years of Hammer, no, I don't want. Preferably I'll take one, but if two is the only way to get him signed, I'll take it. Hammer is valuable to us right now.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Zorba

so you wanna see a team with gill , spacek , and hamrlik?

Old
06-28-2011, 05:35 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
Originally Posted by 76ftw
Hammer is a lot better than Spacek...

They are both garbage!
Have you posted one coherent and meaningful post since you signed up here?

Spacek and Hammer are both solid defensemen given the right responsibilities.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Yeah he did, but considering it'd be a 1 year deal, I believe that alone inflates his demand in terms.
He's 37 though, no team would be willing to give him a multi-years deal.

Does he really want to leave Montréal for a mere (he's multi-millionaire, let's not kid ourselves) 1,5M$ when he's been here since 2007 ? He loves it here.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:36 PM
guest1467

Quote:
so you wanna see a team with gill , spacek , and hamrlik?
I clearly stated if they are going to re-up Hammer, I would want to see Spacek moved.

Follow along now.

Old
Hugo Sham

Quote:
maybe but all i see right now is horton pushing him off the puck for an OT goal and watching him flop / dive/ whatever at the blue line - i think on the OT game 7 goal

Old
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw
Hammer is a lot better than Spacek...

They are both garbage!
Hamrlik had very similar stats to superstar rookie Subban.

So PK is garbage too?

Old
06-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Zorba

Im following but Spacek is not getting traded. HE is slow and useless. brings nothing to the party. Why would a GM do us a favour? Unless you throw a high pick , you re gonna have spacek and hammer. WOW! That literally makes me ill

Old
06-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
He's 37 though, no team would be willing to give him a multi-years deal.

Does he really want to leave Montréal for a mere (he's multi-millionaire, let's not kid ourselves) 1,5M$ when he's been here since 2007 ? He loves it here.
His wife is young and from around here. It'll probably weight a lot on the decision.

I'm betting he'll do like Hal did.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:39 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
If you live in Ottawa why not just drive?

In any event, I'd pay your gas or air travel for you to follow through with it and post a video of it on YT.
Well I'd want to get there as quickly as possible, obviously

Quote:
Why do you hate Hamrlik that much? Imagine last season without him.
It's not so much that I hate Hamrlik the player, I just hate the idea that the team is willing to stay the same as last year. To me the biggest problem last season, and especially the playoffs, was the terrible mobility of the defence. Hamrlik and Spacek have slowed down so much it's unreal. To me they are both a detriment to the team. I'd rather Gauthier spend more money on a younger and more mobile defenceman.

I just don't think he adds anything to this team anymore. I don't think they are that much better with him. But I do think they would be much better with someone younger that can play solid minutes.

Of course you will have people come here and say "well he's played so many minutes, blah blah". Wow, he played the most minutes on a team full of bottom pairing defencemen and a rookie. That's not very impressive to me.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Zorba

DOnt put words in my mouth please. I didnt compare those two and they have 14 years in age difference and about 50mph in skating difference. Let him go UFA, he will get very few offers

Old
Poulet Kostopoulos

To the people who wishes Hammer gone, who exactly do you see replacing him?

Old
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
maybe but all i see right now is horton pushing him off the puck for an OT goal and watching him flop / dive/ whatever at the blue line - i think on the OT game 7 goal
The puck bounced right onto Horton's stick, **** happens. It was game 5.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:42 PM
znk

I cant say I'm impressed those who call Hamrlik garbage. He's the one that picked up the slack for Markov.
He lead the team in ice time the last two seasons. He's a workhorse and is our most physical D. Give him Spacek's money and trade Spacek and we are a better team.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:42 PM
icerocket

Hammer was overused and gassed by the end of the playoffs.

Without those major injuries I see Hammer being productive again.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:45 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
It's not so much that I hate Hamrlik the player, I just hate the idea that the team is willing to stay the same as last year. To me the biggest problem last season, and especially the playoffs, was the terrible mobility of the defence. Hamrlik and Spacek have slowed down so much it's unreal. To me they are both a detriment to the team. I'd rather Gauthier spend more money on a younger and more mobile defenceman.

I just don't think he adds anything to this team anymore. I don't think they are that much better with him. But I do think they would be much better with someone younger that can play solid minutes.

Of course you will have people come here and say "well he's played so many minutes, blah blah". Wow, he played the most minutes on a team full of bottom pairing defencemen and a rookie. That's not very impressive to me.
And yet you're ok with Gill signing ? really...

as for getting younger on D, that ship sailed when PG gave Tall-man a 1yr contract... obvious for anyone. You dont sign the slowest D to ever play for the Habs when you want to get younger/more mobile...

Old
06-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Roulin

Quote:
If Markov plays this season, you have a much different look to the team. If his legs are what they used to be, the mobility of the D will be improved. If he gets hurt again, or is no longer a top player, then we have a problem.

It seems obvious that the Markov signing is the major issue of the offseason. Hamrlik is a depth move. A smart one IMO, but really not what will determine whether the team takes a step forward or not.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Hugo Sham

they want to resign hammer to a year fine. but to have hammer, spacek, gill ALL in the lineup at the same time next year is ****ing lunacy. this team lost because it was slow soft old and couldn't make an outlet pass. i have to believe some kind of deal for spacek is out there...

we will have 8 D signed if spacek stays..

hammer gorges markov, gill subban emelin weber spacek

Old
06-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
DOnt put words in my mouth please. I didnt compare those two and they have 14 years in age difference and about 50mph in skating difference. Let him go UFA, he will get very few offers
I didn't put words in your mouth.

If you'll please direct your attention to the ? mark at the end of the sentence, this symbol is used to represent a question.

Now if Hamrlik finished with similar stats to Subban (top pairing minutes, between 30-40 points, Hamr finished with a better +/-, and more blocked shots) and you think Hamrlik is garbage, it begs the question, do you think Subban is garbage too.

Also, players don't go much quicker than 20-30 mph. They're not motorcycles.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:47 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
And yet you're ok with Gill signing ? really...

as for getting younger on D, that ship sailed when PG gave Tall-man a 1yr contract... obvious for anyone. You dont sign the slowest D to ever play for the Habs when you want to get younger/more mobile...
I hate when people mention Gill.

Gill has ALWAYS been slow and has ALWAYS played with that lack of foot speed. So he does things differently to make up for it.

Hamrlik and Spacek have BECOME slow and still try to play the same way, like pinch at terrible times and not be able to catch up to the play.

There's a big difference.

Closed Thread