HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ranking our Prospects

Old
06-26-2011, 06:44 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

vCash: 500
I can start the ranking process.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 06:57 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
I can start the ranking process.

top 15

1-Leblanc
2-Beaulieu
3-Tinordi
4-Kristo
5-Yemelin
6-Weber
7-Gallagher
8-Palushaj
9-Bournival
10-Bennett
11-Avstin
12-Engvist
13-Nash
14-Nygren
15-Carle

did i miss someboday?

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 06:57 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

First thread up.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 08:54 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Tinordi has all the tools to be an elite shut down d-man in the Chara-Weber-Regehr mold...size, mobility, hockey sense plus a nasty edge...that makes him a candidate to be a #2 or 3 guy.
His upside is no.4 defenseman, he just doesnt have the skills to be more than this.. His passing and stickhandling are below average.. If we are lucky we get a Komisarek type of d-man..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:56 PM
Fatguy266

My own opinion:
1- Beaulieu
2- Kristo
3- Leblanc
4- Tinordi
5- Yemelin
6- Palushaj
7- Nygren
8- Avtsin
9- Bournival
10- Gallagher
11- Diaz
12- Engqvist
13- Nattinen
14- Berger
15- Ellis

Fatguy266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:16 AM
Dharvey33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
IMHO the current habs prospect pool has not been as weak since the Houle era.
You say this just because Eller and Subban are not Prospects anymore, but put those two in and you have a pretty deep prospect pool IMO.

I prefer our prospect pool than the prospect pool of the Bruins,flyersm Leafs The flames or the wild. That's 3 team from our division with a decent but not great prospect pool.

We might not have a young stud (except maybe Beaulieu) but we have many roles players on the team and Players with a lot of heart and character. Leblanc Bournival are really good offensive two way prospects you need those types of players to win.

We have far from the best prospect pool in the NHL but we have far from the worst either.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:04 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
His upside is no.4 defenseman, he just doesnt have the skills to be more than this.. His passing and stickhandling are below average.. If we are lucky we get a Komisarek type of d-man..
He made huge strides in that area in the second half, he has much better hockey sense and poise than Komisarek ever had.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:11 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

I haven't done them up for months but quite sure Leblanc be #1 on my list. I have Gallagher higher than most. He is small but fearless and can score. I taped top prospects game and memorial cup final game, need to watch those games again and focus on Beaulieu before I do up a draft list.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:56 AM
Weip

Sorry I wasn't here the last three years, but why no love for Fisher? Is he dead or something?

Weip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:17 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
we haven't had two potential franchise players like Price and subban in a long, long time.
Price has played over 200 games in the NHL, he isn't a prospect anymore. Subban, the argument could be made, might still be considered a prospect but not many will see him that way.

Obviously Price and Subban are elite talents but that doesn't change the fact that the Habs prospect pool really isn't very good and doesn't have much, if any, top end talent.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:18 AM
HomaridII

TonyMarinaro Tony Marinaro
Montreal Canadiens 1st round pick Nathan Beaulieu @n8THEggr8 2 join @SimonT990 and I shortly on The Morning Show @theteam990 www.team990.com

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 08:30 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Price has played over 200 games in the NHL, he isn't a prospect anymore. Subban, the argument could be made, might still be considered a prospect but not many will see him that way.

Obviously Price and Subban are elite talents but that doesn't change the fact that the Habs prospect pool really isn't very good and doesn't have much, if any, top end talent.
The point is if both those players had a normal development path they'd still be highly regarded unless of course they started to suck in the AHL. And for all intents and purposes would still be prospects had it not been for their fast development.

Of course they aren't still prospects but it's kind of silly to call our prospect pool ****** when we just cleaned out the cupboard. In the Houle era we also didn't have a Subban.

If you add Subban, Pacioretty, White, Desharnais, Darche all back to the list of "prospects" then the cupboard isn't bad at all, these players however have graduated from being prospects or unsigned vets (Darche).

It's kind of stupid to say our prospect pool looks like piss when we just emptied the cupboard is all I'm saying. Unless you basically tanked for 5 years you won't have a solid pool after taking out 5-6 solid players like that.

Consider the situation:

-Lower middle of the pack to upper middle of the pack team (pick wise)
-Just brought up several players the last few years.
-Traded some assets to fill holes and/or change of scenery.
-Still have: Nash, Bournival, Leblanc, Kristo, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Diaz, Emelin*, Weber*, Eller*

I put those three players with a * because they haven't proven a lot at the NHL level yet but most of them have played pro and done it well in instances. They're pretty much still prospects.

So then I ask how is the following as paper thin as people make it out to be:

Beaulieu - potential top 3 D with QB potential.
Eller - Potential top 2 center
Desharnais - 3rd line center potential with possibility (long shot) of top 6
Weber - Potential top 4 offensive dman
Emelin - Nasty defensive D who can chip in from time to time, top 4 potential.
Diaz - Another D in the mold of Streit
Tinordi - Potential top 4-6 D in the mold of Komisarek but bigger
Leblanc, Kristo, Bournival - All ranging from top 6-9 potential.
Nash - Potential to be a good bottom pairing D
Carle - Project with potential to be an NHL D one day
Engqvist - Potential 4th line center
Avtsin - The wild card...

Then you add:

Subban - #1 dman
White - solid 4th liner who is physical and fights
Pacioretty - Top 6 winger powerforward
Pouliot - Questionable at this time

Plus numerous players I forgot. Obviously we don't have a Crosby and obviously we didn't bottom out for 5 years so we aren't going to be one of these teams that has a solid prospect pool and is a top 10 NHL team. Looking at it realistically it's about as good a prospect pool as we could have and ultimately even if we had a few young Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Richards, Carter, whoever, people would still be complaining that our cupboard is abysmal even though those players have graduated. You can't really win.

We have Subban and if it weren't for his ridiculous development curve he'd still be in our pool and highly regarded. Price same thing, he'd only be coming up in the last year or two if normal progression is an indication. We have nothing to worry about imo.

Last edited by neofury*: 06-27-2011 at 08:40 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 08:37 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
The point is if both those players had a normal development path they'd still be highly regarded unless of course they started to suck in the AHL. And for all intents and purposes would still be prospects had it not been for their fast development.

Of course they aren't still prospects but it's kind of silly to call our prospect pool ****** when we just cleaned out the cupboard. In the Houle era we also didn't have a Subban.

If you add Subban, Pacioretty, White, Desharnais, Darche all back to the list of "prospects" then the cupboard isn't bad at all, these players however have graduated from being prospects or unsigned vets (Darche).

It's kind of stupid to say our prospect pool looks like piss when we just emptied the cupboard is all I'm saying. Unless you basically tanked for 5 years you won't have a solid pool after taking out 5-6 solid players like that.
I think you are extremely confused as to what an NHL prospect is.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:31 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weip View Post
Sorry I wasn't here the last three years, but why no love for Fisher? Is he dead or something?
Pretty much.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:23 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weip View Post
so wrong LOL!

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:03 AM
xposbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
But on the habs board, he has what it takes to be a #2. lol
I've seen him play a bunch of games, and he's definitely not a top #2 potential, he'll end up being a 4th/5th guy at best. Basically a poor man's Komisarek. He doesn't have the vision to get it out of the zone, and under pressure he makes mistakes, especially with his passing. He also looks a bit weird sometimes when he stickhandles. If he has the potential to be a #2 with us, you're basically saying we are going to have a crappy set of dmen playing at that time.

Even Gorges who is and will be far better than Tinordi on D, and who has more offensive upside is not a top 2 guy. But Tinordi is lucky he's a tall beast, otherwise his skills would not be enough to get him into the nhl.

Last edited by xposbrad: 06-27-2011 at 11:08 AM.
xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:49 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I think he had it fairly easy feeding pucks up to everyone in that Sea Dogs forward group, and I think Despres is a full tier above him talent-wise, if not in terms of basic fundamentals.
Remember Despres is projected to be a #3 or #4 NHL defenseman and is a full 2 years older than Beaulieu. Which in the CHL is huge difference. At 18 years Despres was far behind Beaulieu at 18.

Old
06-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Remember Despres is projected to be a #3 or #4 NHL defenseman and is a full 2 years older than Beaulieu. Which in the CHL is huge difference. At 18 years Despres was far behind Beaulieu at 18.
True, very true. I don't think Despres was "far behind" at 18 though. He still managed 32 points on a much weaker, far from Mem. Cup calibre Sea Dogs team, and was still a 1st round pick, for example.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:49 PM
leafsfan2point0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
You say this just because Eller and Subban are not Prospects anymore, but put those two in and you have a pretty deep prospect pool IMO.

I prefer our prospect pool than the prospect pool of the Bruins,flyersm Leafs The flames or the wild. That's 3 team from our division with a decent but not great prospect pool.

We might not have a young stud (except maybe Beaulieu) but we have many roles players on the team and Players with a lot of heart and character. Leblanc Bournival are really good offensive two way prospects you need those types of players to win.

We have far from the best prospect pool in the NHL but we have far from the worst either.
flyers aren't in your division

leafsfan2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Sorry to nitpick, but the difference between Beaulieu and Despres is 1 year and just over 4 months. NB was among the oldest for his draft year, and SD was among the youngest for his.

Roulin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:14 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
True, very true. I don't think Despres was "far behind" at 18 though. He still managed 32 points on a much weaker, far from Mem. Cup calibre Sea Dogs team, and was still a 1st round pick, for example.
Despres will go on to be good NHL defenseman...Beaulieu a notch higher.

Old
07-26-2011, 12:51 PM
lacrosseguy

Watched them both alot, depres very very good will play in NHL, Beaulieu a touch riskier but will more upside..he plays very up tempo game, some nights will frustrate you but when all is said and done i believe will be a tremendous player !!!

lacrosseguy is offline   Reply With Quote