HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs to Offer Hamrlik a Contract? (Yyyyikes!) (UPD: Offered 1-yr contract post #683)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Roulin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
they want to resign hammer to a year fine. but to have hammer, spacek, gill ALL in the lineup at the same time next year is ****ing lunacy. this team lost because it was slow soft old and couldn't make an outlet pass. i have to believe some kind of deal for spacek is out there...

we will have 8 D signed if spacek stays..

hammer gorges markov, gill subban emelin weber spacek
We started last season with 8D (O'Byrne & Picard instead of Emelin & Weber). It's not unusual.

Old
06-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Zorba

I guess you dont recognize sarcasm! Hammer has done his job well here for 4 years . Its time to move on. The NHL has become younger and faster. Hammer has shown the last two playoffs he wears out. Yea yeah yeah, you will say he played too much. I ll say old legs. PASS and move on

Old
06-28-2011, 04:49 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
If Markov plays this season, you have a much different look to the team. If his legs are what they used to be, the mobility of the D will be improved. If he gets hurt again, or is no longer a top player, then we have a problem.

It seems obvious that the Markov signing is the major issue of the offseason. Hamrlik is a depth move. A smart one IMO, but really not what will determine whether the team takes a step forward or not.
Markov never had great mobility, he was always on the bottom 3 bracket of speed on the back end. If you are looking for mobility, you are looking to upgrade the existing Wiz spot. Someone who has good movement, pinching skills, and can move the puck. Not always the easiest asset to find, but there are some out there.

Last edited by PyrettaBlaze*: 06-28-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old
06-28-2011, 04:49 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I hate when people mention Gill.

Gill has ALWAYS been slow and has ALWAYS played with that lack of foot speed. So he does things differently to make up for it.

Hamrlik and Spacek have BECOME slow and still try to play the same way, like pinch at terrible times and not be able to catch up to the play.

There's a big difference.
doesnt change the fact that Gill is still slower than both, and will always be...

when the goal is to be faster and more mobile, not signing the slowest of them all is a huge step in achieving this goal...

Old
06-28-2011, 04:51 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I didn't put words in your mouth.

If you'll please direct your attention to the ? mark at the end of the sentence, this symbol is used to represent a question.

Now if Hamrlik finished with similar stats to Subban (top pairing minutes, between 30-40 points, Hamr finished with a better +/-, and more blocked shots) and you think Hamrlik is garbage, it begs the question, do you think Subban is garbage too.

Also, players don't go much quicker than 20-30 mph. They're not motorcycles.
I don't mean to step into your discussion, but I don't think that's what he's getting at.

I see the argument that it doesn't make much sense having 3 regular D-men on the roster at 37+ years old. None of them are mobile, Hamrlik being the most of the 3 and he's by no means quick.

There was speculation going into 2009-2010 that our defense was too old and too slow, how does it look going into 2011-2012 with the same 3 stooges in the line up? It's certainly not an improvment on the core, Subban or no Subban. I'm ok with Hamrlik coming back for one year, in the 3-3.5M area *IF* Spacek can be dealt.

Old
06-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Zorba

my biggest beef is Gauthier should have waited for July 1 for Gill and for hammer. IF by then he couldnt upgrade with a more mobile guy then sign one of those 2 not both. This team was not good enough last year and it looks like it will be the same team this year. YEs I know markov is back

Old
06-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Markov never had great mobility, he was always on the bottom 3 bracket of speed on the back end. If you are looking for mobility, you are looking to upgrade the existing Wiz spot. Someone who has good movement, pinching skills, and can move the puck. Not always the easiest asset to find, but there are some out there.
I have always been impressed by Markov's lateral mobility. As for "good movement, pinching skills" and puck movement? I'll take classic Markov over Wiz any day. Hopefully Markov still has those skills.

Old
06-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Bullsmith

2 years at 5 mil total is my max. More term or dollar and you have to let him walk. I'd do more for a one year but as at 35+ contract, the years are a nightmare.

The lack of talent going UFA reinforces the need to build internally, through the draft and good asset management. PG's sold the future to keep a decent team competitive, but we need to stop giving away 2nd and 3rd round picks (much less first) until the org gets restocked. Our top prospect pool is getting awfully shallow.

Old
06-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Jakomyte

Lol @ people who are drooling over the thought of signing Jagr, then saying Hamrlik is too old at 37 to contribute, especially considering how much he stepped up in Markov's absence the past two years.

Old
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Markov is plenty mobile, he's just not fast. He's kind of like a less flashy defenseman version of Kovalev in that way.

Old
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What the hell are you talking about? That's a post if left field if I ever read one.

1-where have they ever said they were happy with a first round exit?

2-they have already made changes, so you post makes even LESS sense.
If a person in control is unhappy with an outcome, they typically will change things around.

But........PG re-signed Gill, now offering a contract to Hamrlik, Spacek is still on the team. And those 3 slow and old DMen did NOTHING to help us in the playoffs.

So, a rational human being can extrapolate that since PG is bringing all 3 old guys back, that he must be happy with their performance that led to a first round playoff exit.

To be unhappy with that result would mean getting rid of the old guys and bringing in more mobile and younger DMen.

Old
06-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
I don't mean to step into your discussion, but I don't think that's what he's getting at.

I see the argument that it doesn't make much sense having 3 regular D-men on the roster at 37+ years old. None of them are mobile, Hamrlik being the most of the 3 and he's by no means quick.

There was speculation going into 2009-2010 that our defense was too old and too slow, how does it look going into 2011-2012 with the same 3 stooges in the line up? It's certainly not an improvment on the core, Subban or no Subban. I'm ok with Hamrlik coming back for one year, in the 3-3.5M area *IF* Spacek can be dealt.
Well that's just it, what he got at is this :

Quote:
They're both garbage
Referring to Hamrlik vs Spacek.

I wasn't responding to anything else he said. So yeah, please do, don't butt-in.

Old
06-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Andy

ENOUGH WITH THE TWITTER SOURCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
06-28-2011, 04:59 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

If Hamrlik signs he will be a bargain for the ability he has shown and I firmly believe he has something left in the tank if the rest of the D can stay reasonably injury free.

Hamrlik Part 2 coming if he re-signs. LOL

Old
06-28-2011, 05:00 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
my biggest beef is Gauthier should have waited for July 1 for Gill and for hammer. IF by then he couldnt upgrade with a more mobile guy then sign one of those 2 not both. This team was not good enough last year and it looks like it will be the same team this year. YEs I know markov is back
And if we struck out and they got signed? We'd be thing into the season with Carle, Weber and Yemelin all on the roster.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:00 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
Lol @ people who are drooling over the thought of signing Jagr, then saying Hamrlik is too old at 37 to contribute, especially considering how much he stepped up in Markov's absence the past two years.
Well for starters Jagr was a superstar, a legend. Hamrlik was at his best an ok #1 defenseman on a bad team and a good #2 defenseman on a good team. There is a little bit of a difference there.

I am fine with Hamrlik coming back, I'd be very happy infact. Just so long as Spacek is moved. I can honestly see this next season:

Markov-Subban (great first pairing if Markov stays healthy)
Hamrlik-Spacek (Spacek on the right side = balls)
Gill-Gorges (fine for their role)

I'd even go as far as to bring back Hamrlik the following season to play the third pair. He's rock-solid for a guy playing 18-20 minutes. He can't effectively play more at this stage, IMO.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:02 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

I just feel like one of Emelin or Weber needs to have a full-time spot next season. We have to begin the youth movement back there, plain and simple. Atleast start one guy at a time, surely the other will get a chance once injuries pile up.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:03 PM
prairie hab

I'm so rattled that we didn't even make Wisniewski an offer.

Trust me - we will regret not re-signing the Wiz.

Markov will break like glass again, and Hammer, Gill and Spacek are one year older. Gorges provides zero offense, as will Emelin. Can't see Weber making a huge impact offensively. Teams will be on to PK.

If we don't address the top 6 with an ELITE forward, we will struggle towards mediocrity yet again.

Wisniewski was on pace for a 50-60 point season. How do you replace that???

FRICK!

Old
06-28-2011, 05:06 PM
guest1467

Another avenue to take if you want to increase your mobility is to trade Gorges. Here is a guy who isn't particularly mobile(and coming off a knee injury to boot). Difference is, he is actually a viable trading asset to get something valuable in return.

Move Spacek and Gorges, sign Hammer and Wiz(or sign someone like Erhoff, or make a move for a mobile puck moving defensemen) and you are left with something like this:

Markov-Subban
Hammer-Wiz(or something comparable)
Gill-Emelin
Weber

Looks quite mobile and strong to me.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post

Markov will break like glass again, and Hammer, Gill and Spacek are one year older. Gorges provides zero offense, as will Emelin. Can't see Weber making a huge impact offensively. Teams will be on to PK.

If we don't address the top 6 with an ELITE forward, we will struggle towards mediocrity yet again.

FRICK!
LMAO... y know... Wiz had two major knee injuries so far in his career. It's only been the two last seasons where's he had some luck on the injury front.

He's as much a risk factor than Markov is, evenmore so IMO, since he plays a gritty style compared to Markov.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:10 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
If a person in control is unhappy with an outcome, they typically will change things around.

But........PG re-signed Gill, now offering a contract to Hamrlik, Spacek is still on the team. And those 3 slow and old DMen did NOTHING to help us in the playoffs.

So, a rational human being can extrapolate that since PG is bringing all 3 old guys back, that he must be happy with their performance that led to a first round playoff exit.

To be unhappy with that result would mean getting rid of the old guys and bringing in more mobile and younger DMen.
All things considered (heavy ice-time mostly), Gill and Hammer weren't exposed in the playoffs.

Spacek, yes. The best thing he ever did for us in a Habs jersey is eat some Bell Center glass in Game 6 for that 5 minute PP. He really is a thorn in our sides at this point. He should be offered to all teams, and if there's only lukewarm interest I would be completely comfortable in giving up a pick/prospect to get him shipped out of here.

That being said, it does seem pretty obvious that even if we cleared Spacek's 3.833 that we wouldn't retain Wiz. That's just a terrible decision. Letting a 27 year old mobile, rugged, and PP QB walk is a big mistake for this team and a step in the wrong direction.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:10 PM
supertzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post

FRICK!

pretty much on board with this, unfortunately there is no elite forward to sign. No offer for Wiz must mean he is just way too expensive or he's dead set on a destination other than Montreal and the organization is aware of it.

Gomez is going to have to have a nice rebound year for our offense to improve as well as Patches playing like he did pre-injury--with the latter much more likely than the former.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:11 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
doesnt change the fact that Gill is still slower than both, and will always be...

when the goal is to be faster and more mobile, not signing the slowest of them all is a huge step in achieving this goal...
Gill excels in a role where his positioning, reach and shot blocking far outweigh his lack of speed. Hamrlik does not excel enough in any area of the game to be used in a specialized role effectively, and therefore is of no use to this team if we wish to improve.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:13 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Gill excels in a role where his positioning, reach and shot blocking far outweigh his lack of speed. Hamrlik does not excel enough in any area of the game to be used in a specialized role effectively, and therefore is of no use to this team if we wish to improve.
Except for the fact that he is our best current 5 on 5 defensemen outside of Markov.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:15 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

So what you're saying is that every team, except for Boston, should let all of there UFAs walk because, in essence, they've all failed? Furthermore, a rational human being can extrapolate that now all UFAs except for Tomas Kaberle, Shane Hnidy and Michael Ryder have been rendered obsolete considering they are all failures.

We'd better hurry and call the KHL then!

P.S. Do you see how ridiculous that logic is?

Closed Thread