HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks trade Ehrhoff's rights to NYI (4th round pick in '12)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
We had enough power plays to effect the outcome of the series. We failed to score at even an average rate on the power play (which led to the Bruins being able to take even more liberties as there would be NO consequences even if a penalty was called).
Ya, as mentioned our PP trouble in the final really had nothing to do with quantity; basically our entire first unit outside of Daniel were injured.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:36 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Are people seriously this quick to turn on Gillis? I trust his judgement. Didn't people jump on him for the Malhotra contract last summer? Aside from the initial Sundin offer and Ballard, who aside from last year has been a solid 2nd pairing Dman through his career, Gillis has made zero mistakes.

If he doesn't want to pay Ehrhoff over $5mil, so be it. He probably has something up his sleeve.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
Ehrhoff isn't the PP QB, that is clearly Henrik Sedin. Ehrhoff is way to erratic and flaky to QB an elite PP.
Ehrhoff is one of the top 10 PP point men in the world...

I'm dumbfounded by many Canucks fans opinions of this guy. He's been solid in every facet of the game when healthy for this team and was our #1 defenseman in '09-10.

Do people just start disparaging his play so they're not disappointed if he inevitably leaves? Because this guy has been a stud for us.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanchion for MVP View Post
Are people seriously this quick to turn on Gillis? I trust his judgement. Didn't people jump on him for the Malhotra contract last summer? Aside from the initial Sundin offer and Ballard, who aside from last year has been a solid 2nd pairing Dman through his career, Gillis has made zero mistakes.
Bernier?

Old
06-28-2011, 05:39 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post

I'm dumbfounded by many Canucks fans opinions of this guy. He's been solid in every facet of the game when healthy for this team and was our #1 defenseman in '09-10.

Do people just start disparaging his play so they're not disappointed if he inevitably leaves? Because this guy has been a stud for us.
All true. But he is not the most important part of the PP.

PP QB = most important part of the PP.

IMO we are getting bent over symantics. Ehrhoff is our best defensman for the PP, yes. But thats IT. He is not the 'QB'.

Its not black or white. Its grey.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:41 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Bernier?
Thought that was Nonis. Make that three mistakes then.

He built the team that made it to the finals. Have some faith in him, people.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:41 PM
vanwest

Quote:

I think part of the problem is that people tend to focus on his weaknesses and remember his play in the SCF when he was clearly hurt. I don't think it's any accident that he was the main point man on the number one power play. Clearly he's not a Norris defenceman but he's at the next level below that and an elite offensive defenceman. We won't be able to replace that unless Edler takes another step forward.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:

Agreed. His departure leaves a huge gap to be filled. It remains to be seen if it can be done.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
All true. But he is not the most important part of the PP.

PP QB = most important part of the PP.

IMO we are getting bent over symantics. Ehrhoff is our best defensman for the PP, yes. But thats IT. He is not the 'QB'.

Its not black or white. Its grey.
I guess we may find out. Wouldn't be surprised to see the PP take a considerable hit if Ehrhoff leaves town. Even with the 4 other pieces returning.

I'm still really surprised they haven't been able to get something done. As Gillis' #1 offseason priority I thought Ehrhoff was a lock to return.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:45 PM
dingdong

I'm not worried at all. Ehrhoff had a lot of points, but if Edler had played as many games he would've had more points. On top of that, Edler is better defensively. Basically, I see Edler picking up Ehrhoff's role and doing it better. We'll most likely have Salo, too, so we won't be lacking for rockets from the point.

Im fact, picking up a D-man who's sounder defensively to replace Ehrhoff even strength might help the overall picture noticeably.

All speculation, but not a big problem IMO

Old
06-28-2011, 05:45 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Good riddance. He's so overrated on these boards. Good offensive dman and subpar defensively.

Keith Ballard could be a solid replacement in terms of puck mover. I read somewhere that his assists/60min is better than Ehrhoff's were. And this is without playing the PP.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
This is not a good situation.

Ehrhoff is one of the best PP defenders in the league and the first Canuck defender in 15 years to score 50 points in a season. This team is built on our quick transition game and fast puck movement, and Ehrhoff is, amongst our defenders, the biggest part of that. And the things people are saying here about his defensive play are ridiculous – he’s logged massive minutes in every situation for this team, and the fact that he had a poor Finals (while very hurt) and a poor back end to the Chicago series doesn’t change that.

If we lose him, it’s a major step backward for the franchise in terms of our ability to contend for next season. We certainly won’t be able to replace him out of this year’s UFA pool.

And some people here have totally lost perspective. If you’re excited about another year of Keith Ballard at $4.2 million but hate the idea of Christian Ehrhoff at $5.5 million, you’re one of them.
It really depends on the terms of a 5.5M deal. How many years (probably longer than we'd like)? NTC? Again, strong possibility.

We are probably going to lose Ehrhoff to free agency. And no, we won't likely replace what he brings to the table. But in his absence is cap flexibility. We have an opportunity to improve our forward depth at a limited expense to our defensive quality. Limited in that Ehrhoff's offensive contributions can be somewhat offset by our other dmen. Edler, for instance, still has room to grow as a player.

So, on balance, it's less than ideal. But I think maybe not as bad given where we can improve as a team in other areas.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Diamonddog01

Does anyone not remember how badly the team needed a PMD prior to the trade to acquire him?

And how acquiring him completely changed the makeup and style of the team for the better?

His loss will be huge. I'd give him 5.5 max, I guess he is looking for more than that unfortunately.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Canucker

Ehrhoff is getting more love around here than he deserves. Yes he's a good PP defenseman, and he's a decent top 4 guy 5-on-5 but he's more of a beneficiary of playing with the Sedins than anyone. Not saying he doesn't do anything on his own but the Sedins are the bread and butter on the PP. If Gillis caves to the wishes of Ehrhoff it sends a very poor message to players he just signed and players he'll have to sign in the future. We'll be fine without him.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Kid_Roll

It blows my mind that Ehrhoff has become this black hole on defence the minute he wants to leave and Keith Ballard is looked at as a suitable replacement for him....

I like Keith. I think he has some solid skills. But after last season, you think he is going to slip right into Ehrhoff's role and produce the same results? No. No no no.

This feels like "Draft Day/Free Agent" syndrome where the guy with the new car smell is going to be amazing, yet 2 months into the season I guarantee the loss of Ehrhoff will be noticed on this team when the new guy is struggling to get the puck out of his zone and transition it to the forwards with regularity. Watch people be all over the next person who tries to take over Ehrhoff's role with this team.

If Ehrhoff signs for $6 million +, then fine, we can't afford it, but $5 million? Sign the guy. He has huge trust from AV (AV uses him to eat minutes many times) and is our slickest skater on defence and plays a HUGE part of being able to play the kind of hockey the Canucks like to play, the quick transition from defense to forward, as well as a solid hockey sense for when to make a pinch.

Again, I love Ballard, but it's gotten to the point with Ballard where he can't even pivot without seemingly fallen down. He needs to be rebuilt up, not thrust into a top 4 role he isn't ready for.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Does anyone not remember how badly the team needed a PMD prior to the trade to acquire him?

And how acquiring him completely changed the makeup and style of the team for the better?

His loss will be huge. I'd give him 5.5 max, I guess he is looking for more than that unfortunately.
I guess if they can't remember that far back they don't recall what happened to the team's offense when Jovanovski left either...

I would give Ehrhoff 5 years, $6mil before signing Bieksa to his deal. We don't have anyone to replace what Ehrhoff does. A healthy Keith Ballard could do what Bieksa does, save winning a fight every 20 games.

Old
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
It blows my mind that Ehrhoff has become this black hole on defence the minute he wants to leave and Keith Ballard is looked at as a suitable replacement for him....

I like Keith. I think he has some solid skills. But after last season, you think he is going to slip right into Ehrhoff's role and produce the same results? No. No no no.

This feels like "Draft Day/Free Agent" syndrome where the guy with the new car smell is going to be amazing, yet 2 months into the season I guarantee the loss of Ehrhoff will be noticed on this team when the new guy is struggling to get the puck out of his zone and transition it to the forwards with regularity. Watch people be all over the next person who tries to take over Ehrhoff's role with this team.

If Ehrhoff signs for $6 million +, then fine, we can't afford it, but $5 million? Sign the guy. He has huge trust from AV (AV uses him to eat minutes many times) and is our slickest skater on defence and plays a HUGE part of being able to play the kind of hockey the Canucks like to play, the quick transition from defense to forward, as well as a solid hockey sense for when to make a pinch.

Again, I love Ballard, but it's gotten to the point with Ballard where he can't even pivot without seemingly fallen down. He needs to be rebuilt up, not thrust into a top 4 role he isn't ready for.
So...leaving him to rust for weeks and then throwing him into the Stanley Cup Finals is NOT brilliant coaching?

Old
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Ehrhoff is getting more love around here than he deserves. Yes he's a good PP defenseman, and he's a decent top 4 guy 5-on-5 but he's more of a beneficiary of playing with the Sedins than anyone. Not saying he doesn't do anything on his own but the Sedins are the bread and butter on the PP. If Gillis caves to the wishes of Ehrhoff it sends a very poor message to players he just signed and players he'll have to sign in the future. We'll be fine without him.
That's exactly it. People forget that we have 2 of the most creative forwards in the league QBing the PP. Ehrhoff was solid on there but I have yet to see him make a smart play or pass. It was usually just head down and shoot.

Samuelsson/Edler is an easy replacement for the PP.

In terms of puck movement, Ballard is just as good of a skater and I wouldnt doubt that he has a bounce back season.

Too much panic going on over here for a guy who is clearly looking for big bucks.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
The sad part of losing Ehrhoff is Canucks acquired the asset for next to nothing and will in turn receive nothing if he becomes UFA and signs elsewhere - team will be no further ahead than it was 2 years ago.

DTS said it best - we don't have anyone to replace what Ehrhoff does regardless of whatever. And so do a bunch of other teams. Supply and Demand.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:56 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
I'll miss his fire and grit though

Old
06-28-2011, 05:57 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
The sad part of losing Ehrhoff is Canucks acquired the asset for next to nothing and will in turn receive nothing if he becomes UFA and signs elsewhere - team will be no further ahead than it was 2 years ago.
Two years of good hockey for the price of none isn't so bad.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:57 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post

Gold.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
So...leaving him to rust for weeks and then throwing him into the Stanley Cup Finals is NOT brilliant coaching?
Hahah, surprisingly it was not the best move. Who would have thought?

Old
06-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
What's the big deal? He just caved to the wishes of Bieksa. Kevin came out of negotiations with big money, term, a NTC and front loaded money just in case there's a work stoppage. Kudos to Kevin's agent on that one. Bieksa got a ridiculously good contract for a guy with his awful track record. Let's be honest, Bieksa gave the team terrible value on his last contract - a contract that made him the team's highest paid dman the last time around as well.

If Bieksa gets a longterm commitment with 1 good season in his last 3, Ehrhoff deserves a longterm commitment up to $6mil...

Old
06-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Canucker

Quote:

That one will always be a rookie mistake by Tanev, but Ehrhoff didnt show a lot of support for his teammate thats for sure. Clifford would have eaten him alive but ya have to at least get in there and show you've got the kid's back.

Closed Thread