HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hamrlik has refused 1 yr offer. (post #363)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-28-2011, 05:24 PM
  #1
PyrettaBlaze*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,264
vCash: 500
Hamrlik has refused 1 yr offer. (post #363)

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/ho...position.shtml

Rules regarding rumors/sources:

If the link is censored (*****), then it obviously isn't a valid source. Don't bother posting random twitter accounts either since they'll be deleted immediately.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/321998.html


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 06-29-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Updated OP with confirming link.
PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:26 PM
  #2
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,805
vCash: 500
Wednesday is going to be a great day. Hopefully Hamrlik signs and the Jays win the game I'm going to see live!

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:26 PM
  #3
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,026
vCash: 500
we can only hope that tomorrow's decision is that both sides have mutually agreed to move on. I appreciate Hammer's work over the last 4 seasons, but if we bring him back we will have a worse defence than last season, which means we have eliminated ourselves as serious cup contenders right off the bat.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:27 PM
  #4
Rushin Joo
Registered User
 
Rushin Joo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 8,184
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
I won't sleep in excitement.

Rushin Joo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:29 PM
  #5
JimmyDarmody
Registered User
 
JimmyDarmody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1
Another avenue to take if you want to increase your mobility is to trade Gorges. Here is a guy who isn't particularly mobile(and coming off a knee injury to boot). Difference is, he is actually a viable trading asset to get something valuable in return.

Move Spacek and Gorges, sign Hammer and Wiz(or sign someone like Erhoff, or make a move for a mobile puck moving defensemen) and you are left with something like this:

Markov-Subban
Hammer-Wiz(or something comparable)
Gill-Emelin
Weber

Looks quite mobile and strong to me.
You don't even need to move Gorges really. Just get rid of Spacek.

Sign Wiz at 5 for 25 with a NTC for the first 3 years.

Depending on what type of salary Hammer is looking at, and Gorges to some extent, keeping these guys is possible.

Markov-Wiz/Subban
Hammer-Subban/Wiz
Gill-Gorges
Emelin/Weber

I would consider that an elite defensive unit. Great PP and PK pairings too. Along with potential elite goaltending it goes a long way in mitigating what's clearly an anemic group of forwards.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:31 PM
  #6
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,403
vCash: 500
I hope the fact that they have offered him a contract means they found a taker(Florida?) for Spacek.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:33 PM
  #7
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I hope the fact that they have offered him a contract means they found a taker(Florida?) for Spacek.
It means something is going to happen that will send a D elsewhere, I'm fairly sure. Whether it's Spacek being dumped or a trade for a forward is anybody's guess though.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:33 PM
  #8
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,455
vCash: 500
As long as its under $3 million and we somehow get rid of Spacek I'd gladly take Hamrlik to pair with Yemelin or Weber.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:33 PM
  #9
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,457
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I hope the fact that they have offered him a contract means they found a taker(Florida?) for Spacek.
Florida would be better off waiting till Saturday and offering Hammer $3.83m than taking on Spacek.

Floor teams won't be taking on bad contracts until after UFA period is over and then after the sucky UFA period signings are over.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:34 PM
  #10
Dekar
Registered User
 
Dekar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bound Kingdom
Posts: 5,106
vCash: 500
Bottom-pairing ice-time that would be better spent on getting Weber some more experience (assuming we bring Weber back). A waste, I say.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:35 PM
  #11
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
You don't even need to move Gorges really. Just get rid of Spacek.

Sign Wiz at 5 for 25 with a NTC for the first 3 years.

Depending on what type of salary Hammer is looking at, and Gorges to some extent, keeping these guys is possible.

Markov-Wiz/Subban
Hammer-Subban/Wiz
Gill-Gorges
Emelin/Weber

I would consider that an elite defensive unit. Great PP and PK pairings too. Along with potential elite goaltending it goes a long way in mitigating what's clearly an anemic group of forwards.
I like that defense as well. Certainly possible, and another option I looked at. There were two basic reasons I think moving both Spacek and Gorges is a decent move:

1) Gorges can be packaged with another asset to pick up an actual decent two-way winger, something we are looking for(well I would like us to be looking for one).

2) I am not sure I like the idea of both Emelin and Weber being on the outside, in the press box off the bat. I would like one of them at least to have a spot on the lineup, both for morale and development reasons. We did start last season with 8 defensemen, but you also have to consider that one of those extras was Picard, who both had really no developmental upside, and is not someone you have a problem with sitting in the press box because he is not an important asset to the team, as opposed to Weber and Emelin.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:36 PM
  #12
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,216
vCash: 500
Better be damn cheap, less than 3million. He is not top 2 anymore and should not be getting those minutes.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:36 PM
  #13
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I hope the fact that they have offered him a contract means they found a taker(Florida?) for Spacek.
I would prefer that both of them get shipped out.

Markov-Gorges
Wizniewski-Subban
Gill-Emelin

is a substantially better defence than

Markov-Gorges
Subban-Gill
Hamrlik-Emelin

Hamrlik has gotten worse every year he has been with us (understandable due to his age) and this trend is assured to continue. Choosing Hamrlik over Wiz also ruins our pp. Our pp last season was one of the worst in the league before we picked up Wiz, so we can expect it to be the same without him. It baffles me how people think Hamrlik can make us better. He can't. He just isn't goo enough anymore, and his dreadful playoff series against Boston showed that he is likely finished. I know some will say he may do better in a reduced role, but I disagree. He sucks on the pk, and the pp, but he is more useful 5 on 5. However 5 on 5 he is still only a little above average. We need to have 4 top 4 defencemen, and choosing Hammer over Wiz leaves us with just 2 top 4 dmen.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:36 PM
  #14
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,863
vCash: 500
From the last thread that was closed......

Posted by Twisted.......

So what you're saying is that every team, except for Boston, should let all of there UFAs walk because, in essence, they've all failed? Furthermore, a rational human being can extrapolate that now all UFAs except for Tomas Kaberle, Shane Hnidy and Michael Ryder have been rendered obsolete considering they are all failures.

We'd better hurry and call the KHL then!



P.S. Do you see how ridiculous that logic is?





Hockey is not a zero sum game. There is no "if you lose then you get rid of all of your UFA".

But there is a concept called improving your roster to have a better shot at winning the one and only Cup.

Gill, Spacek and Hamrlik were all GREAT players at one time. But like everything in life, they have gotten older. Hockey is a fast game. There are only a handful of players in the NHL who have been genetically gifted to continue to excel in their late 30's early 40's. Gill, Spacek and Hamrlik are not included in that group.

Time for them to go or again face disappointment during the playoffs (if we indeed reach them). The cry from the crowd was that the Canadiens needed faster and stronger DMen.

Now we are reduced to trying to rationalize why Hamrlik should possibly be on the roster.

A lot of Canadiens fans have simply grown accustomed to accepting mediocrity. And PG is leading the charge!!!!

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:43 PM
  #15
hockeyman*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 305
vCash: 500
I wonder if he'll sign..

hockeyman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:47 PM
  #16
zzoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,106
vCash: 500
If he's signed, then it's bad news because we still have old and slow defensemen: Spacek, Gill and Harmlik. Ideally, we should have only 1 of those, not 3.

I hope he's signed for less than $2M, but it's utopia.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:48 PM
  #17
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I would prefer that both of them get shipped out.

Markov-Gorges
Wizniewski-Subban
Gill-Emelin

is a substantially better defence than

Markov-Gorges
Subban-Gill
Hamrlik-Emelin

Hamrlik has gotten worse every year he has been with us (understandable due to his age) and this trend is assured to continue. Choosing Hamrlik over Wiz also ruins our pp. Our pp last season was one of the worst in the league before we picked up Wiz, so we can expect it to be the same without him. It baffles me how people think Hamrlik can make us better. He can't. He just isn't goo enough anymore, and his dreadful playoff series against Boston showed that he is likely finished. I know some will say he may do better in a reduced role, but I disagree. He sucks on the pk, and the pp, but he is more useful 5 on 5. However 5 on 5 he is still only a little above average. We need to have 4 top 4 defencemen, and choosing Hammer over Wiz leaves us with just 2 top 4 dmen.
Not sure how you categorize "worse", last year at 34 points +6 and 22+ minutes a night, that's top 4 on any NHL team and his best year of the 4 he played with us. Wisniewski is a bit better but will cost twice the cap hit over 4-5 times the term. Comparing 1 year at 2.75-3 mil to 5 years at 5-5.5 mil is comparing apples to oranges.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:48 PM
  #18
Gainey#1*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa/Calgary
Posts: 2,308
vCash: 500
I won't be able to fall asleep tonight with anticipation.

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:50 PM
  #19
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,457
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
I won't be able to fall asleep tonight with anticipation.
Get really really drunk that way when you wake up to the news that he resigned, your hangover won't feel as bad.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:52 PM
  #20
Gainey#1*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa/Calgary
Posts: 2,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Get really really drunk that way when you wake up to the news that he resigned, your hangover won't feel as bad.


Actually, it would probably make it worse!

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:57 PM
  #21
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Not sure how you categorize "worse", last year at 34 points +6 and 22+ minutes a night, that's top 4 on any NHL team and his best year of the 4 he played with us. Wisniewski is a bit better but will cost twice the cap hit over 4-5 times the term. Comparing 1 year at 2.75-3 mil to 5 years at 5-5.5 mil is comparing apples to oranges.
It was quite apparent that Hamrlik was not near as effective as his numbers showed. It is also worth noting that defence scoring totals were for some reason greatly inflated last season. Hamrlik should not be in consideration for this team, and if he is on this team we will be icing virtually the same as last year's expected defence except swapping Spacek for Emelin. Tell me, how is that a recipe for improvement? Anybody who wants Hamrlik to stay believes that last year's team was good enough to win the stanley cup, which is patently untrue. The goal should be to get better, not stay the same. It is well known that in sports if you didn't get better, you got worse.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:00 PM
  #22
couris
Registered User
 
couris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,988
vCash: 500
Markov
Subban
Gill
Spacek
Weber
Emelin
Diaz
Hamrlik?
Gorges?

Too many Ds...I say Spacek gets GTFO.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:07 PM
  #23
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 15,934
vCash: 500
Let's use logic here... you can tell me at any point where the logic goes wrong. Surely there must be something wrong with my logic because this just seems dumb.

1. We think 1.3M is too much for Pouliot at 13goals30ish pts with no PP time and being yoyoed non-stop only to finally lend on 4th line with no confidence while being one of the top producer per ice time on the team. So we don't sign qualify him.

2.We don't trade any dmen and make an offer to Hammer thus plan on having :

Markov-Gorges
Spacek-Hamrlik
Subban-Gill
Weber
Emelin

3. There's nothing left on the UFA market forward wise.

4. Our D is complete with 8 NHLers.

5. Our goaltending is set with Price + random sub 1.5M back up.

So... how do we plan on getting to the cap exactly ? And if we don't plan on getting to the cap, why didn't we keep Pouliot again ?

I'm REALLY curious to see what's going to happen in the coming 2 weeks...

Either management plans on not giving any chance to Emelin to make it and will sign a dman come july 1st or we have some trades brewing up or we don't plan on spending to the cap. Those are the only conclusions I can reach at this time...

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:07 PM
  #24
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
It was quite apparent that Hamrlik was not near as effective as his numbers showed. It is also worth noting that defence scoring totals were for some reason greatly inflated last season. Hamrlik should not be in consideration for this team, and if he is on this team we will be icing virtually the same as last year's expected defence except swapping Spacek for Emelin. Tell me, how is that a recipe for improvement? Anybody who wants Hamrlik to stay believes that last year's team was good enough to win the stanley cup, which is patently untrue. The goal should be to get better, not stay the same. It is well known that in sports if you didn't get better, you got worse.
The popular excuse I keep hearing is that "Markov is like a UFA signing" since he missed large portions of 2 seasons ago and all of this season (more or less).

If Markov gets injured and we are left with only Subban to carry the offense-from-the-backend load we could be in serious trouble. Hamrlik is one year older now, Spacek is inept in that role now. We would have to hope that Weber/Yemelin or Diaz can step into the limelight and provide secondary scoring from the D position. That's a lot to ask in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Let's use logic here... you can tell me at any point where the logic goes wrong. Surely there must be something wrong with my logic because this just seems dumb.

1. We think 1.3M is too much for Pouliot at 13goals30ish pts with no PP time and being yoyoed non-stop only to finally lend on 4th line with no confidence while being one of the top producer per ice time on the team. So we don't sign qualify him.

2.We don't trade any dmen and make an offer to Hammer thus plan on having :

Markov-Gorges
Spacek-Hamrlik
Subban-Gill
Weber
Emelin

3. There's nothing left on the UFA market forward wise.

4. Our D is complete with 8 NHLers.

5. Our goaltending is set with Price + random sub 1.5M back up.

So... how do we plan on getting to the cap exactly ? And if we don't plan on getting to the cap, why didn't we keep Pouliot again ?

I'm REALLY curious to see what's going to happen in the coming 2 weeks...

Either management plans on not giving any chance to Emelin to make it and will sign a dman come july 1st or we have some trades brewing up or we don't plan on spending to the cap. Those are the only conclusions I can reach at this time...
Exactly, I share your views on this one...

As a fan I'd be pissed if the team didn't spend to the cap (especially when you look at astronomical ticket price increases). We deserve the best product possible, now admittedly the FA pool has gotten more shallow but I expect PG to take a dip in it. I'll be extremely disappointed if we go into next season with a copy-cat image to what we had last season + Pactches/DD/White full-time. At the very least improve the team via a trade if at all possible, having seen all the players getting moved recently some for peanuts... Well, you get the idea.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:16 PM
  #25
DJ Breadman
Registered User
 
DJ Breadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
Bottom-pairing ice-time that would be better spent on getting Weber some more experience (assuming we bring Weber back). A waste, I say.
you are bang on, if he signs either Weber or Emilien's development will be hampered because we all know JM will play Vet's over young players, there's no way Spacek or Hammer will be sitting in the press box

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.