HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Ryan Strome

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2011, 01:39 PM
West Coast Isles Fan

vCash: 500
If Tavares wants to play center, you let the man play center...even if you think he might be better on the wing, which is debatable. He is our great hope to truly having an elite franchise player. We need to keep him happy. If we force him over to wing, I'm sure he'll be able to find another team that will happily let him be their #1 center when he is a free agent.

Old
06-28-2011, 01:48 PM
OlTimeHockey

Wait......and......see.....who......is.......bette r.......when.......the.......time.......comes..... ..

Old
06-28-2011, 02:48 PM
bluechipbonzo

When Tavares puts up 75+ points this season, more of the doubters will go away.

He is our number one centre, our franchise...Strome will play Kane to JT's Toews...

Old
06-28-2011, 03:45 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post

He is our number one centre, our franchise...Strome will play Kane to JT's Toews...
From your mouth to God's ears.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Wait......and......see.....who......is.......bette r.......when.......the.......time.......comes..... ..
Absolutely!

Old
06-28-2011, 05:24 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:

Have to agree with you, however I think JT will be the best of the 4, but that's for a different discussion.

JT is a center and he will be a center for the rest of his career. He is so dynamic, his playmaking skills are easily the best on the team, easily the best offensive player, look at what he has done to Moulson and PAP, imagine what he would do if he had two legit 60 point players, most likely turn them into PPG players. He is still very young, but from freshman year to sophomore year I saw a huge improvement in JT's game. I expect to see the same thing in year 3.

JT is our franchise, you let JT play where he want's to play, and where he will be the most effective.

Strome may be an outstanding player one day, but he isn't there yet, and if he ever does get there he still wont be as good as Tavares will be by than, and he is than we will have 2 super star forwards on our team.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:55 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
You know..I thought Strome would make a great sniper, but after looking at Highlights ...I have been living in Europe for the past while and didn't watch games as they weren't televised..gonna buy an ESPN subscription so I can catch the games from now on..Anyway..after looking at Tavares highlights, I am beginning to think he'll make a better sniper..he is quick, natural reflexes and a perfect eye..he is an awesome one timer...and decent hands.. the makings of a goal scorer...Strome I have to say has better hands than Tavares (lets hope it works at the pro level)...Strome finds Tavares open and boom...in the net..kabanov has great puck control too and has size. I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it.

I honestly can't say what's going to happen...who will play what position, but the analysts specifically said that the Isles drafted Strome to play with Tavares as those two would compliment each other immensely.
I think you got it backwards.

Tavares is a goal scorer but that doesnt make him a sniper. Not saying he cant, but his offense is not defined but his "sniping ability". In fact, i think his shot is the weakest part of his game and not his skating. His UNBELIEVABLE HANDS make up for his shot though and thats why he is such an great dynamic goal scorer.

Strome on the other hand (strictly based on youtube, I have never seen him play) looks to have a very very good shot. Quick release and a strong slapshot (stamkos like) His hands are obvisouly good and just like everyone else I went off that one video that everyone talks about. But as I watch more video of Strome you can see this kid oozes skill and speed on offense.

Tavares has great playmaking ability as he has proven which was never a huge point made by scouts before his draft. Strome again on the otherhand has had that "playmaking center" tag put on him for a while. So seeing them two play together is definitely going to be interesting.

Old
06-28-2011, 07:00 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
I think you got it backwards.

Tavares is a goal scorer but that doesnt make him a sniper. Not saying he cant, but his offense is not defined but his "sniping ability". In fact, i think his shot is the weakest part of his game and not his skating. His UNBELIEVABLE HANDS make up for his shot though and thats why he is such an great dynamic goal scorer.

Strome on the other hand (strictly based on youtube, I have never seen him play) looks to have a very very good shot. Quick release and a strong slapshot (stamkos like) His hands are obvisouly good and just like everyone else I went off that one video that everyone talks about. But as I watch more video of Strome you can see this kid oozes skill and speed on offense.

Tavares has great playmaking ability as he has proven which was never a huge point made by scouts before his draft. Strome again on the otherhand has had that "playmaking center" tag put on him for a while. So seeing them two play together is definitely going to be interesting.
What makes JT so special is what is between his ears. The kid's Hockey IQ is off the charts and he sees things that not many others are able to. He really doesn't wow you with his physical gifts. His skating is improved, but he's no speedster. His shot really isn't all that great. He has shown glimpses of his great hands, but I have yet to see the unbelievable hands that you have described. His one timers are absolutely horrendous. You look at him and the sum is way greater than his parts.

Now, he was thrust into probably the worst situation of all the #1 draft picks in recent memory. He seriously had nothing to work with. He was getting creamed regularly from other teams. I'm happy he made it through in one piece honestly. You look at all the other #1 picks and they all had some part of their game that really stood out. For instance, Hall has great wheels. Kane has great wheels. Stamkos has wheels and that wicked slapper. EJ has great size and skating ability. Basically, I would have to say that JT is the least physically talented #1 overall pick in quite some time.

What you're seeing from him now is that his physical abilities are developing and catching up to his mind. We saw him carry the puck a lot more this year and that goal against St. Louis (you know the one I'm talking about) showed me he's confident and doing the things that he used to do. His skating improved. He definitely got stronger. Give him another couple of seasons and he's going to be a major star. His hockey sense makes up for his physical limitations (I know it's harsh, but bear with me) and that's what is so rare. He does these little subtle things that most people don't see and as the talent grows around him, he'll blossom as well him elevating the play of his teammates. I think we've already seen that with the emergence of Moulson and Parenteau. This kid is a player, I think no one doubts that now.

As for Strome. He is seriously the human highlight reel. Great physical gifts and I like what I see in the hockey sense department. The kid just looks like a player, you can't take your eyes off him when he's on the ice. That's PERFECT for JT. JT is a ninja. The kid goes into stealth mode and then appears at the worst possible moment for the opposition. Strome would open up ice for JT and young Ryan has the vision to see where Tavares is going and then BAM! 'Nananananaaaa'! The other way around? No problem. JT finds Strome and BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM!

I think about what these two could do and it gives me big time wood. Like taking 3 viagara wood! That's my 2 cents.

Old
06-28-2011, 07:23 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
What makes JT so special is what is between his ears. The kid's Hockey IQ is off the charts and he sees things that not many others are able to. He really doesn't wow you with his physical gifts. His skating is improved, but he's no speedster. His shot really isn't all that great. He has shown glimpses of his great hands, but I have yet to see the unbelievable hands that you have described. His one timers are absolutely horrendous. You look at him and the sum is way greater than his parts.

Now, he was thrust into probably the worst situation of all the #1 draft picks in recent memory. He seriously had nothing to work with. He was getting creamed regularly from other teams. I'm happy he made it through in one piece honestly. You look at all the other #1 picks and they all had some part of their game that really stood out. For instance, Hall has great wheels. Kane has great wheels. Stamkos has wheels and that wicked slapper. EJ has great size and skating ability. Basically, I would have to say that JT is the least physically talented #1 overall pick in quite some time.

What you're seeing from him now is that his physical abilities are developing and catching up to his mind. We saw him carry the puck a lot more this year and that goal against St. Louis (you know the one I'm talking about) showed me he's confident and doing the things that he used to do. His skating improved. He definitely got stronger. Give him another couple of seasons and he's going to be a major star. His hockey sense makes up for his physical limitations (I know it's harsh, but bear with me) and that's what is so rare. He does these little subtle things that most people don't see and as the talent grows around him, he'll blossom as well him elevating the play of his teammates. I think we've already seen that with the emergence of Moulson and Parenteau. This kid is a player, I think no one doubts that now.

As for Strome. He is seriously the human highlight reel. Great physical gifts and I like what I see in the hockey sense department. The kid just looks like a player, you can't take your eyes off him when he's on the ice. That's PERFECT for JT. JT is a ninja. The kid goes into stealth mode and then appears at the worst possible moment for the opposition. Strome would open up ice for JT and young Ryan has the vision to see where Tavares is going and then BAM! 'Nananananaaaa'! The other way around? No problem. JT finds Strome and BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM!

I think about what these two could do and it gives me big time wood. Like taking 3 viagara wood! That's my 2 cents.
I agree with everything you said. And I think most of us could make a case about his hands.

This is one of his most underated goals and it is so damn sexy....This defines JT - Hockey sense + Amazing hands =

Last edited by StumpNYI: 06-28-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old
06-28-2011, 07:53 PM
steveat

When I say Stromes hands are better..I didn't mean by a mile...just a little better...Tavares may not have a hard shot..but he has an accurate shot and he can release it quick as soon as he gets it. He can find an opening in the smallest area.

Strome can see that and easily pass it over...both these guys I think will compliment each other...and he talked about working out with Tavares I think during the interview..I think the Isles saw this and capitalized with this draft.

Old
06-28-2011, 08:19 PM
StumpNYI

I have watched a lot of Tavares the last couple of years and cannot say the same about Strome. If his hands are anywhere near Tavares' mixed with the shot he has displayed and of course his speed then we have a gem on our hands. He has dropped the gloves a few times and shows a lot of heart for a kid his size and age as well. It would be a sight to see him doing those things at the NHL level but it will be a couple years before we get a glimpse.

Old
06-28-2011, 09:41 PM
bluechipbonzo

Strome is quick because of his hands...technically, his skating needs a lot of work.

Blowing by OHL is easy when you can twist them around with soft hands and slick moves- as Strome does.

Luckily, his stride can be worked on- and just as Tavares improved his skating so too will RS...

Moulson-Tavares-Petrov
Grabner-Strome-Nino
Bailey-Neilsen-Okposo
Ullstrom--Cizikas--Martin

Streit-Hamonic
Erhoff-de Haan
MacDonald-Mayfield

Poulin
Nilsson

Old
06-28-2011, 11:59 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
He is a better "complete" center than he gets credit for on fan boards. You are right on about his cognitive skills while playing. He thinks the game better than most.

Old
06-29-2011, 01:05 AM
Sverra
Plumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I think fans/analysts waste a lot of time wondering where players might fit in a line-up, who plays where, etc.

I believe that if you can play, you can play.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that player A will work well with player B in position X or Y. Who cares. Frankly, who even knows. The player Strome is at 18, in the OHL is not exactly relevant to what he'll be in the NHL.

I watched a replay of the Can-USA WJC game from 2009 where JT scored those two huge goals when Can was down 3-0 to the USA team, playing with DiDomenico and Esposito. He was incredible.

Tavares plays like a #1 Centre. Despite some doubters in his first couple of seasons, all I see is a leader, who cares about winning, wants to be the best, works as hard as anyone and has more ability than 99% of hockey players world wide. This is not a player I'd move to accommodate another player.

Would he make a great winger? certainly. But I see no reason to take a guy like Tavares and move him to accommodate someone else (not named Crosby).
you're right with that... +1

Old
04-10-2012, 03:58 PM
StrongIslanders90

I bumped this because I wanted to know from anyone who been watching Niagra in the playoffs how has strome looked?

Old
04-10-2012, 04:02 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:

Wow, good call.

Old
04-10-2012, 04:11 PM
SDIsles34

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
You know..I thought Strome would make a great sniper, but after looking at Highlights ...I have been living in Europe for the past while and didn't watch games as they weren't televised..gonna buy an ESPN subscription so I can catch the games from now on..Anyway..after looking at Tavares highlights, I am beginning to think he'll make a better sniper..he is quick, natural reflexes and a perfect eye..he is an awesome one timer...and decent hands.. the makings of a goal scorer...Strome I have to say has better hands than Tavares (lets hope it works at the pro level)...Strome finds Tavares open and boom...in the net..kabanov has great puck control too and has size. I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it.

I honestly can't say what's going to happen...who will play what position, but the analysts specifically said that the Isles drafted Strome to play with Tavares as those two would compliment each other immensely.

Simply put, NO. Maybe one day, who knows... but not right now.

Old
04-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I bumped this because I wanted to know from anyone who been watching Niagra in the playoffs how has strome looked?
Check out the prospects thread http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1151515

Old
04-10-2012, 04:28 PM
luki here

Quote:
Strome would open up ice for JT and young Ryan has the vision to see where Tavares is going and then BAM! 'Nananananaaaa'! The other way around? No problem. JT finds Strome and BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM!
how happy were you when you wrote that?

****ing funny stuff!!!

Old
04-10-2012, 06:27 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
how happy were you when you wrote that?

****ing funny stuff!!!
Haha, that's pretty funny. I must have taken a boatload of happy pills that day.

Forgot about that.

Old
04-10-2012, 06:31 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Closing this thread, all future posts should go in the Prospects thread as posted by Isles Junkie.

Closed Thread