HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden May Void His Contract If Kept In Minors Next Season?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-28-2011, 06:19 PM
  #26
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,523
vCash: 500
How can a player just void his contract. Doesn't that make all contracts worthless?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:22 PM
  #27
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,440
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
How can a player just void his contract. Doesn't that make all contracts worthless?
A player cannot unilaterally void his contract. However, once a player fails to perform under the contract, the team can terminate it.

Obviously, once Redden decides to not show, etc. the Rangers would immediately terminate the contract, making him a UFA (while dancing the Irish Gig), but they would not be obligated to do so, and could instead keep the contract on the books, refuse to pay him, and prevent him from playing for another team.

People refer to this as Redden voiding the contract because the Rangers' response to his refusal to report is pretty self-evident.

EDIT: Contracts aren't worthless because either party can still demand performance. Only together can they terminate the deal.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:26 PM
  #28
NHRangerfan
enfoonts
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 3,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
I love how people seem to find a way to take blame of Sather. Im not sayin Redden plays with a lot of emotion or he doesent but im tired of the same story like Drury that there skills deterioated, as if they were worth when they signed but somehow got worse when they got here. Yes hes speed might have slowed a bit but an NHL hockey player does not just lose his skills. The fact is other guys get better, league is faster, something that should be anticipated by scouts watching the game. Redden was who he was when we signed him.
How did I take the blame off Sather? Please see the Gomez was a good signing thread for my thoughts on Sather. Frankly if your gonna put words in my posts at least be somewhere in the neighborhood.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:30 PM
  #29
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,209
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
I love how people seem to find a way to take blame of Sather. Im not sayin Redden plays with a lot of emotion or he doesent but im tired of the same story like Drury that there skills deterioated, as if they were worth when they signed but somehow got worse when they got here. Yes hes speed might have slowed a bit but an NHL hockey player does not just lose his skills. The fact is other guys get better, league is faster, something that should be anticipated by scouts watching the game. Redden was who he was when we signed him.
It's still 100% Sather's fault. Redden's game was deteriorating before he cam here--I remember all the Ottawa fans coming here to tell us that Wade sucked and wasn't close to the player he was just a few years prior. Part of signing a guy to a long term deal is projecting what kind of player he'll be a few years down the road. Slats really swung and missed on his projections, I guess.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:22 PM
  #30
SML
Registered User
 
SML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 3,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
The reason why i stated that id rather next year than this year is because Redden being in the AHL really helped and mentored the young defense back there. I believe that Mcdonagh and Sauer both said that Redden really helped them to refine their game and be ready for the next step. Id really love it if he could continue to do that with Kundratek, V-Tank, and the new guys like McIlrath, Pashnin and Parlette.
You think Redden was a mentor to the young Dmen who bypassed him? I think the two of them looked at Redden and said "if this clown can get 6.5 a season, we're gonna get rich. Let's go get paid" Let's hope he continues to "mentor" all our young players...

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:28 PM
  #31
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,209
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
You think Redden was a mentor to the young Dmen who bypassed him? I think the two of them looked at Redden and said "if this clown can get 6.5 a season, we're gonna get rich. Let's go get paid" Let's hope he continues to "mentor" all our young players...
That clown still managed 450 points in nearly 1000 NHL games.

The "mentoring" that people have talked about in this thread is straight from the horses mouth--people like Ryan McDonagh and the Hartford coaching staff. Here's McDonagh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McDonagh
"He’s a great guy, a great player for that team down there,” McDonagh said. “He’s toward the end of his career and to go through what he did, he could have a different attitude. But he has an incredible attitude, staying out late on the ice. I ask him a lot of questions. He’s probably sick of me. He’s helped me a lot. A lot of mental things, too."
http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2011/0...ryan-mcdonagh/

Tomas Kundratek and Blake Parlett made similar comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Parlett
I was like a sponge around Wade everyday trying to learn everything I could from him. He is a great player and is really dedicated off the ice. He leads by example and helped me with a lot of little things in my game.
http://bluelinestation.com/2011/06/0...blake-parlett/

I can't find the Kundratek quotes right now. Anyway, I think it's pretty evident that he has been very helpful in working with the younger defenseman. I know Redden sucks and is a fun punching bag, but he has really handled this like a pro.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:35 PM
  #32
SML
Registered User
 
SML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 3,743
vCash: 500
Okay, quote whomever you wish. First, no rookie is ever going to come out and say anything but positive things about a veteran with a microphone in his face. Second, if there weren't the off ice rumors about the circumstances of Reddens decline on the ice, I might buy in to your "leadership" scenario. But we can't discuss that in this forum.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:35 PM
  #33
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram
 
BKBlackRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Richland, Wa
Country: Barbados
Posts: 569
vCash: 500
So he should retire and coach...give him $4 mil to get him off the cap..wink wink

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:39 PM
  #34
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE
 
Evil Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YOU MAKE SOME MO
Posts: 1,899
vCash: 500
Redden's a perfectly acceptable 5th defenseman. he'll find work

Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:04 PM
  #35
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,209
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Okay, quote whomever you wish. First, no rookie is ever going to come out and say anything but positive things about a veteran with a microphone in his face. Second, if there weren't the off ice rumors about the circumstances of Reddens decline on the ice, I might buy in to your "leadership" scenario. But we can't discuss that in this forum.
I love it, it's just like Drury--people dislike him, so any statements from players or coaches praising said player are made out of courtesy to that player, not because it's actually true.

You're entitled to your opinion, certainly. I would argue that all available evidence points to your view being incorrect. But I digress. We all know what they say about opinions.

To the "rumors," as far as anyone knows, they're just that. If I had a nickel for every completely unsubstantiated rumor like the one you're alluding to, well... You know where I'm going with that.

And I don't believe I referred to Redden as a leader. I said he has handled this like a professional, and applauded him for his efforts to help our younger players. Do you think that he has NOT been trying to help the youth? Mentoring the younger generation is a relatively common operation for veteran players at any level. I don't know why anyone would feel compelled to fabricate stories of him skating late with the kids.

I've hardly showered the guy with accolades. I just don't get why people need to take shots at the guy when he has been nothing but a good citizen for the organization.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:33 PM
  #36
NYRangers16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Westchester
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather View Post
Redden's a perfectly acceptable 5th defenseman. he'll find work
It's the contract. Drury at 1.5m is a valuable role player/Pk/3rd line center. At 7m he's hated.

Redden is the same - at a mil per year for a year or two he's got good value as a bottom pair guy for someone. Put him on Washington or Pit and he probably scores 5+ goals and 30+ pts too.

But yea, obviously this doesn't really matter to us...just realise that after we cut them loose they will find a role somewhere.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:40 PM
  #37
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Okay, quote whomever you wish. First, no rookie is ever going to come out and say anything but positive things about a veteran with a microphone in his face. Second, if there weren't the off ice rumors about the circumstances of Reddens decline on the ice, I might buy in to your "leadership" scenario. But we can't discuss that in this forum.
They don't have to say anything about Redden. They could say he's a good veteran presence and leave it at that. I don't think those guys are exaggerating when they say any of that stuff.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:04 AM
  #38
free0717
Registered User
 
free0717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Wade is not walking away from the 16.5 $ million bucks owed to him. Case Closed.
Mr. Moderator, please close this thread. This aint gonna happen.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:09 AM
  #39
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,102
vCash: 500
As to the speculation from some regarding his heart and drive to play at the hardest level, this seems to suggest he's lacking in those departments:

Quote:
26. Dany Heatley had a broken hand during the season and suffered a high ankle sprain in Game 3. Despite that, definitely got the sense the organization is frustrated with him. The great shot is still there, but he's in danger of what happened to Wade Redden. Redden didn't take conditioning seriously and it caught up with him. Heatley must avoid the same path. (I'm not suggesting Heatley's going to the minors.) As one GM said, "When he's not scoring, he doesn't look good." He needs to get himself in position to score more.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...-priority.html

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:28 AM
  #40
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,286
vCash: 500
eklund says we might have a deal to send redden out west lol...don't believe it but man would that be awesome

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 03:39 AM
  #41
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Wade is not walking away from the 16.5 $ million bucks owed to him. Case Closed.
Mr. Moderator, please close this thread. This aint gonna happen.
you only say this because you don't have millions already stashed away in your bank account. you only say this because you don't know the feeling of coming so close to the stanley cup only to have it taken away from you. you only say this because you don't understand what it would be like to live a lifetime of regret knowing that in the short amount of time you had left with the game and career you grew up with and truly love, you gave up your last chance to reach for lord stanley's cup. fight and you may fail. take your $6.5M and you will live a wealthy life at least awhile. and dying in your bed many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance, to come back here as young men and tell our enemies that they may take our lives but they will never take our freedom!

If I'm Wade, I make it back to the NHL. I fight to reach those dreams. I end my career on my own terms. I win the Masterson trophy and shove it up Sather's ass!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:13 AM
  #42
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26
 
Lion Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
Good to see alot of people here sticking up for him. At least you all know what side of the fence your on.


I don't see it the same way at all. If im an NHL caliber Defenseman with the skills that Redden had. I am going to make some noise out there. Even if...Even if my game is detiorating, I am going to give it just a little bit more to do what I can do to stay in the lineup. I didn't see that happen with Redden here. He had a chance to make the squad, and he didn't step up and take it. Therefore, I question his heart and willingness to compete to stick at this level.


I don't dislike the guy at personally. He's porobably a great guy. As for the comments from other teammates. Is that the least bit surprising? These guys have each others backs. Lots of comraderie between hockey players, and that's part of what makes this game so great.

I'm going to use a different example here of what I am talking about. Steve Eminger was a guy on the outs looking in. He came to NY and didn't know if he was going to get regular time. He siezed the opportunity by sacrificing himself and his body every chance he got. He made himself noticed. He hit everything, he had the fight in him to never give up on a play...forced a player wide, put a forward off balance so he didn't get a clean shot, to clear out the front of the net. He went after it, and he was rewarded with a job.

Say what you will about Redden, I just don't think he went after it and at the end. When skills deterioirate, you need to make up for it in other areas. He failed in doing so.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:32 AM
  #43
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,486
vCash: 500
ummmmmm yea right I will believe it when I see it

The Rangers may have a deal to send Redden out west.


good old Eklund twitter

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:49 AM
  #44
mullichicken25
Registered User
 
mullichicken25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Good to see alot of people here sticking up for him. At least you all know what side of the fence your on.


I don't see it the same way at all. If im an NHL caliber Defenseman with the skills that Redden had. I am going to make some noise out there. Even if...Even if my game is detiorating, I am going to give it just a little bit more to do what I can do to stay in the lineup. I didn't see that happen with Redden here. He had a chance to make the squad, and he didn't step up and take it. Therefore, I question his heart and willingness to compete to stick at this level.


I don't dislike the guy at personally. He's porobably a great guy. As for the comments from other teammates. Is that the least bit surprising? These guys have each others backs. Lots of comraderie between hockey players, and that's part of what makes this game so great.

I'm going to use a different example here of what I am talking about. Steve Eminger was a guy on the outs looking in. He came to NY and didn't know if he was going to get regular time. He siezed the opportunity by sacrificing himself and his body every chance he got. He made himself noticed. He hit everything, he had the fight in him to never give up on a play...forced a player wide, put a forward off balance so he didn't get a clean shot, to clear out the front of the net. He went after it, and he was rewarded with a job.

Say what you will about Redden, I just don't think he went after it and at the end. When skills deterioirate, you need to make up for it in other areas. He failed in doing so.
im sorry to be so blunt, but this is bunch of speculative ******** on top of being wildly ignorant

i wanted to stay out of this thread but this was too much

you and i dont know jack **** about how much he wanted it or how hard he tried....what we DO know if that he's not the player he once was, and has been extremely professional throught this entire situation

and for the record, his most unprofessional momment was a reported shouting match between him and Torts upon learning about his removal from the line up....sure sounds like a guy that doesnt give a **** about playing to me

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:34 AM
  #45
NHRangerfan
enfoonts
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 3,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Good to see alot of people here sticking up for him. At least you all know what side of the fence your on.


I don't see it the same way at all. If im an NHL caliber Defenseman with the skills that Redden had. I am going to make some noise out there. Even if...Even if my game is detiorating, I am going to give it just a little bit more to do what I can do to stay in the lineup. I didn't see that happen with Redden here. He had a chance to make the squad, and he didn't step up and take it. Therefore, I question his heart and willingness to compete to stick at this level.


I don't dislike the guy at personally. He's porobably a great guy. As for the comments from other teammates. Is that the least bit surprising? These guys have each others backs. Lots of comraderie between hockey players, and that's part of what makes this game so great.

I'm going to use a different example here of what I am talking about. Steve Eminger was a guy on the outs looking in. He came to NY and didn't know if he was going to get regular time. He siezed the opportunity by sacrificing himself and his body every chance he got. He made himself noticed. He hit everything, he had the fight in him to never give up on a play...forced a player wide, put a forward off balance so he didn't get a clean shot, to clear out the front of the net. He went after it, and he was rewarded with a job.

Say what you will about Redden, I just don't think he went after it and at the end. When skills deterioirate, you need to make up for it in other areas. He failed in doing so.

I don't see where anyone is sticking up for him...he was already starting to slip when he came here and was a terrible signing...pretty sure everyone here has posted that.

These guys have each other's backs? Jagr had an issue with Mara and he was sent to Boston...Messier had issues with guys and they were sent packing.

Is heart gonna make Eminger a better offensive player? Because based on the above if he had "heart" he would make himself better offensively.

You can't make up for lack of or declining skills with heart this isn't a Disney movie...heart doesn't give you speed to win the race to the corner for the puck. Redden was pretty one-dimensional in Ottawa, when you lose that dimension it's pretty much over.

Terrible UFA signing by Sather, and as I recall either right before or right after he signed Roszy to his fat contract as well compounding the Redden mistake even further.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:38 AM
  #46
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26
 
Lion Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
im sorry to be so blunt, but this is bunch of speculative ******** on top of being wildly ignorant

i wanted to stay out of this thread but this was too much

you and i dont know jack **** about how much he wanted it or how hard he tried....what we DO know if that he's not the player he once was, and has been extremely professional throught this entire situation

and for the record, his most unprofessional momment was a reported shouting match between him and Torts upon learning about his removal from the line up....sure sounds like a guy that doesnt give a **** about playing to me
Shake your head all you you want, but ease up on the ignorant comments. No need to toss out personal insults, especially when YOU are putting words in my mouth.

You want to keep your blinders on go ahead...but this guy failed, and when it was coming down to the very end he knew he was on the outs and didn't get the job done. He didn't stand out and he didn't make any noise when his job was on the line...Except the supposed shouting match after all was said and done. Too little too late. Now, he's got $6.5 million reasons to stay in the AHL.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:47 AM
  #47
NHRangerfan
enfoonts
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 3,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
im sorry to be so blunt, but this is bunch of speculative ******** on top of being wildly ignorant

i wanted to stay out of this thread but this was too much

you and i dont know jack **** about how much he wanted it or how hard he tried....what we DO know if that he's not the player he once was, and has been extremely professional throught this entire situation

and for the record, his most unprofessional momment was a reported shouting match between him and Torts upon learning about his removal from the line up....sure sounds like a guy that doesnt give a **** about playing to me
+1

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:53 AM
  #48
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Do it Redden! Christmas in July.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:56 AM
  #49
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,859
vCash: 500
If Redden had only 1 year remaining,a team would probably take him. There is so much money available with the $48.3M floor and not enough players. The CBA expires in September 2012 so he will be a compliance buyout and it won't count against the cap.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:13 AM
  #50
NHRangerfan
enfoonts
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 3,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Shake your head all you you want, but ease up on the ignorant comments. No need to toss out personal insults, especially when YOU are putting words in my mouth.

You want to keep your blinders on go ahead...but this guy failed, and when it was coming down to the very end he knew he was on the outs and didn't get the job done. He didn't stand out and he didn't make any noise when his job was on the line...Except the supposed shouting match after all was said and done. Too little too late. Now, he's got $6.5 million reasons to stay in the AHL.
Supposed shouting match? LMFAO this has now become surreal.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.