HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Green to DET

Old
06-28-2011, 08:25 PM
WingsOverAvs
Non Right Winger

vCash: 500
Mike Green to DET

Let me preface this by saying I'm not the biggest Mike Green fan....but after pondering the idea for a while it really made a lot of sense. Green currently has 1 year left on his deal where he'll make 5.25 million before becoming an RFA. Now, I get the feeling that DET is going to lose a bidding war for Erhoff/Wiz (who are similar players to Green minus the offensive upside and who could very likely command a larger payday). Washington has been rumored to be looking to unload Green so depending on the price this could be a great 1 year investment for DET. Green would be very movable at the deadline or would fetch a decent offer sheet return in the offseason (the latter being a great scenario for DET, netting them some very high draft picks). Smith is the same type of player and he should be able to step in to that role in the '12-'13 season. Mike Green has never been paired with someone that allows him to be that free wheeling type of dman without any accountability and DET has several so this could be the perfect opportunity for both DET and Green. Thoughts?

WingsOverAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:41 PM
icKx
What now?

I'm not sure we have anything the Caps want.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:43 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
I'm not sure we have anything the Caps want.
HUDLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will pass on Green though.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:11 PM
WingsOverAvs
Non Right Winger

Its only for 1 season though. Then we flip him for draft picks (he'll see offer sheets of 6 million from teams). Maybe Hudler + Ericsson + someone/something else (Eaves maybe if we get them all under contract) and then we sign Jovanovski to fill out the 6 defensemen

Old
06-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I think Green is actually getting a bit underrated here. Despite his defensive shortcomings, he's posted some very impressive +/- and has held down serious minutes on the power play and the penalty kill. The guy's not a hack.

As icKx said, though, I'm not sure what we have that they'd want - unless they're just looking at moving some salary off their books (which is possible).

06-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

If Holland actually pursued this idea, I'd be surprised.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind the idea. Pair him with someone like Stuart and it could work out.

Filppula and a 1st?

Caps get a solid 2nd line center, a 1st.

This only works if the Caps feel the cap space is worth it. Which I don't think they would go for.

It would probably be the price of; Filppula, Smith, 1st...to be honest, I wouldn't want the Wings to pay that price.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:29 PM
WingsOverAvs
Non Right Winger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I think Green is actually getting a bit underrated here. Despite his defensive shortcomings, he's posted some very impressive +/- and has held down serious minutes on the power play and the penalty kill. The guy's not a hack.

As icKx said, though, I'm not sure what we have that they'd want - unless they're just looking at moving some salary off their books (which is possible).
Well he and Semin are the two most rumored to be moved, both in the last year of their deal and both with hefty cap hits. Carlson, while not as gifted as Green, is the up and coming puck mover and makes Green somewhat expendable. I think they want more size and grit on the back end.....something Ericsson could provide if he plays to his capabilities.

Old
06-28-2011, 10:42 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

I'd be way more interested in Green than Semin. I don't think there's any way the Wings get their hands on Green, but he'd be a perfect fit in Detroit. A young, elite PMD. And a righty to boot. His defensive game has been improving and he can effectively play the PK. A top-4 of....

Lidstrom - Green
Kronwall - Stuart

Too good to be true.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Dogkota

I would offer something substantial for Green. He would be an ideal replacement for Rafalski (ie: better than Rafalski) at a great price. Filppula + Ericsson + prospect + 1st or something in that neighborhood. Despite defensive limitations and recent injury woes, Washington would be stupid to let him get away. He's part of a very select group of elite offensive defensemen and is a powerhouse when used effectively.

Dogkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:50 PM
wingsfan17

He was straight up garbage this playoffs when I saw him, more in the second round than the first. He just looked so lazy defensively, I mean I heard that he wasn't that great on D, but it was almost a joke. Maybe that was just a low point in his career, but from what I've seen he seems like too much of a defensive liability and I wouldn't want him.

wingsfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:12 PM
no.95

Guy looks like a ******, pass. Good player though.

no.95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:22 PM
WingsOverAvs
Non Right Winger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsfan17 View Post
He was straight up garbage this playoffs when I saw him, more in the second round than the first. He just looked so lazy defensively, I mean I heard that he wasn't that great on D, but it was almost a joke. Maybe that was just a low point in his career, but from what I've seen he seems like too much of a defensive liability and I wouldn't want him.
He is a defensive liability....in Washington. He'll never be an elite defenseman, but as I said in my opening post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOverAvs View Post
Mike Green has never been paired with someone that allows him to be that free wheeling type of dman without accountability and DET has several so this could be the perfect opportunity for both DET and Green
That said, none of the puck moving UFA defensemen are anything to write home about defensively, so....

Old
06-28-2011, 11:25 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

I'd love to see Green play with Detroit/Lidstrom and under Babcock.

Not sure what Detroit could offer the Caps though other than Filppula.

Jules Winnfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:59 AM
pokerandpucks
Rookie User

Green has concussion issues, big red flag

Smith might be ready for a top 4 job in 12-13, but saying he should be or will be is way premature. People said the same thing about Ericsson, too.

Washington just re-signed Laich, they're not going to be looking for a forward. Kindl+ might get it done, but again, with is concussion issues I'd be leery of trading for him.

Saying he's not bad defensively because of his +/- is inaccurate. +/- is goal differential, not how good you are defensively. If a d-man scores 15 20 points and is -2, and another guy scores 60 and is +10, does that mean the guy who's +10 is better in his own end, or does it just mean he scored a ton and it cancelled out his defensive lapses a bit?

pokerandpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:35 AM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerandpucks View Post
Green has concussion issues, big red flag
Big red flag? Meh. He had a concussion. It's a concern, a small amount of risk, sure. But every potential addition to the team will carry some risk/shortcoming/flaw/drawback. It's about finding a good risk/reward ratio, and I think Green's is better than most. Again though, I don't think he's coming to Detroit.

Quote:
Saying he's not bad defensively because of his +/- is inaccurate. +/- is goal differential, not how good you are defensively. If a d-man scores 15 20 points and is -2, and another guy scores 60 and is +10, does that mean the guy who's +10 is better in his own end, or does it just mean he scored a ton and it cancelled out his defensive lapses a bit?
No one used his +/- as evidence that he's not bad defensively. Winger said that he's had a good +/- in spite of his defensive shortcomings. That's something different.

+/- combines offense and defense and, albeit somewhat crudely, gives you an idea of a player's overall impact or value. So, even though Green has defensive shortcomings, he still has made a very positive impact in recent years, to the tune of +69 in his past 192 games; an 82-game average of +30.

+/- aside, Green really improved his defensive game this season. It was mostly a by-product of Washington's transition to a more defensive strategy from previous seasons, but has made him a more well-rounded defenseman nonetheless. He still has holes in his defensive game, but at least he's trending in the right direction.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:41 AM
Nut Upstrom
JIMMY GO GANGBUSTERS

Please no, the guy is immature with ego and concussion problems - his big head may be why he's gotten concussed in the first place.
Add to that his defensive liabilities, his salary and the fact that Washington would want too much for what is essentially a one year rental.
I'm not a big fan of any of the current UFA d-men right now, maybe we should back off on the soon-to-be over-paid crop this off-season. Re-sign Ericsson and hire a couple of solid and reliable d-men like Hejda and/or Skrastins or maybe look into Babchuk and his right handed bomb.
If we're going to trade for a d-man see if Winnipeg's looking for something reasonable in a trade for Bogosian.

I'd cuss and cry if we package Filppula for Green.

Nut Upstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:47 AM
ricky0034

Green's defense is heavily underrated on hfboards

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 02:38 AM
Adityase

Send a message via AIM to Adityase
Um... Wash would demand Stuart or Kronwall for starters and although an Ericsson/Filppula package might work... Ericsson's not technically a Red Wing currently so it's not like we can trade him. Does the NHL do sign and trades? And even if they do why would he do that instead of testing the market?

Frankly I wouldn't want to lose Stuart or Kronwall for Green, but it was an interesting idea...

Adityase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:51 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

Cant we trade Eriksson rights?

I do think Green is being really really undervalued. The guy was up for a Norris just two years ago and that is never solely based on offensive numbers and his so-called horrendous defensive play completely and utterly overlooked/ignored by the NHL establishment.

If we could land Green it would be fantastic.

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:29 AM
waltdetroit

Green has moments when he is effective on the PK but is very inconsistant. He has nowhere near the passing ability of Rafi (who does). He is best as a 4th forward jumping into the play, great shot, but rarely impresses with D in his own end. The Caps have great young D, stockpiled talented prospects, so they traded their 1st round pick this year. Don't know if they'd take picks or prospects. What they need is an experienced D. For either Green or Semin, it might take Kronner. Wouldn't do that for either.

waltdetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:10 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

You could trade Kronwall, a first a Tatar and not get Green.

Way to expensive.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:28 AM
pokerandpucks
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
You could trade Kronwall, a first a Tatar and not get Green.

Way to expensive.
There isn't a defenseman in the NHL I would make that deal for right now. One, there aren't any guys that much better than Kronwall to make it worthwhile long term. If Chara was younger, or Pronger was 27 instead of 93, maybe. Two, they'd still need a defenseman after that and they lose one of their best forward prospects and a first round pick.

pokerandpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Nordic*

Detroit is always the safe and boring organization in the trades-department.

This would never happen.

We always rely on our old guys bailing us out for yet another season, and another, and then another.

Guess what, it isn't working and we can't hope to get as lucky with the picks as we've been in the past.

We'll never get a new Lidstrom or Datsyuk on the 6th round.

Prepare for another dead wings era, I've said this for a couple of years now - and it will happen unless this organization agrees to get rid of a couple of the older players for picks - and then have a couple of so-so years.

I say.

Let's see what we can get for Hudler, Franzen, Filppula, Cleary, Stuart and Zetterberg (yeah, I said it. The time has come to shop him since his legs and back are killing him).

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerandpucks View Post
Washington just re-signed Laich, they're not going to be looking for a forward. Kindl+ might get it done, but again, with is concussion issues I'd be leery of trading for him.
I was thinking they wouldn't be interested in a forward, either, but they also brought in Arnott and Sturm last year to bolster their strength at forward. I got to wondering if Washington is looking to sacrifice a high end piece or two to build up greater depth behind AO/Backstrom. If so, maybe picking up a couple of young, relatively affordable forwards with Cup experience would be enticing to them, especially if they look to move Semin in a separate deal for a D or are hoping to sign a D this summer.

If I was Washington, I'd be looking to keep both guys and doing what I could to make that happen. But maybe falling short for a couple of years in a row has their GM looking to push some buttons and change things around.

Winger98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Detroit is always the safe and boring organization in the trades-department.

This would never happen.

We always rely on our old guys bailing us out for yet another season, and another, and then another.

Guess what, it isn't working and we can't hope to get as lucky with the picks as we've been in the past.

We'll never get a new Lidstrom or Datsyuk on the 6th round.

Prepare for another dead wings era, I've said this for a couple of years now - and it will happen unless this organization agrees to get rid of a couple of the older players for picks - and then have a couple of so-so years.

I say.

Let's see what we can get for Hudler, Franzen, Filppula, Cleary, Stuart and Zetterberg (yeah, I said it. The time has come to shop him since his legs and back are killing him).
Hahahaha.

with our dead propect pool, yes, the dead wings era is coming!

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote