HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gomez trade in the works? LEGIT SOURCES ONLY (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2011, 10:27 PM
campmolson19

vCash: 500
I know Buffalo is on that list

Old
06-28-2011, 10:52 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
For Stamkos, I'll do the maximum (12 years/ 12 millions per). Sure he will be overpaid, but it is worth it. Salary ca say hi, but we can fit him in our line up and we are definitely a contender.
Glad you're not GM. I care about cups, not individual stat leaders. We couldn't afford any complementary players.

Old
06-28-2011, 11:08 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
Neither will happen,but I would absolutely take Stamkos over ANY goalie including price
Maybe you should re-think that strategy.
Stamkos, Vinny, St-Louis, Malone, Gagné, Hedman, Ohlund, incredible depth players scoring like Bergenheim, Moore and Purcell, could not do much of a better job than us versus the same team except we were without any fire power outside Cammy, while missing 2 key Dman, not having a top 6, but with Price.

Not sure about your decision there. At least, it would be a long thought out process.
But I do agree, in any event, Stamkos will be re-signed by TB and Price won't be going anywhere.

Old
06-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Emanresu Wen

Pacioretty - Stamkos - Cammalleri

this is a dream I wouldn't like to be woke up

Old
06-28-2011, 11:17 PM
Blob Buster

I'll go out and be ready to eat a lot of crow if I'm wrong, but there is absolutely no way that Gauthier will trade Gomez this summer.

The Gomez acquisition, while a horrible mistake in terms of cap space and asset management (really, give up a first rounder!!!), but it was an important centerpiece of having veterans sign as UFAs. While Gomez hasn't been working too well last season, I thought his first season here wasn't bad (probably as good as we can expect from him; second line center production). He also brought leadership to the team, although how good it is is debatable.

Trading him without a back up plan (which at this point, would be signing Richards/trading for a top two line center) would send a pretty bad message to the veterans of the team, and could wreak havoc in the dressing room. I'm sure Martin and Gauthier know that very well, and they do seem to appreciate the general leadership of the team at the time, and won't risk messing that up right now.

Next summer is another ball game though.

Old
06-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
As of right now there are a lot of teams under the cap floor however the teams that are far from it, we'll say under 40 million with atleast 4-5 players to sign are

Dallas Stars 38 million 17 players signed
New York Islanders 36 million 17 players signed
Carolina Hurricanes 36 million 14 players signed
Winnipeg Jets 35 million 15 players signed
Phoenix Coyotes 31 million 15 players signed
Colorado Avalanche 29 million 14 players signed
Florida Panthers 23 million 12 players signed

Toronto, Ottawa, Edmonton, Columbus, Tampa, NYR, St Louis and Nashville are all under the cap floor as well but are 40 million and up and wont' have trouble reaching it.

Old
06-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanresu Wen View Post
Pacioretty - Stamkos - Cammalleri

this is a dream I wouldn't like to be woke up
You're lucky....I'm actually in a nightmare I'd LIKE to wake up soon. Gomez....McDonagh....Gomez.....McDonagh....

Old
06-28-2011, 11:25 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

What I'm thinking is, if we do ship out Gomez, then Pierre HAS to have a plan to land another 1st or 2nd line center or there Is NO way in hell he'd complete the deal .

Old
06-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blob Buster View Post
The Gomez acquisition, while a horrible mistake in terms of cap space and asset management (really, give up a first rounder!!!), but it was an important centerpiece of having veterans sign as UFAs.
I had a dream that one day....somebody will explain to me how in hell was having Gomez the underachiever a centerpiece of getting UFA's compared to Koivu the warrior. That's, again, Gomez the guy the Rangers HAD to move compared to Koivu the guy who was worship by all the teams with his intensity and work ethic. And the guy also had his share of points and playoffs numbers as well. I will never believe that a player would see the Habs going from Koivu to Gomez and THEN think that this team is NOW really doing some efforts to be better....Makes no sense then, makes no sense now.

Sorry, but try overpayment. That's a centerpiece in getting UFA's....

Old
06-29-2011, 12:31 AM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Islanders, Phoenix, Colorado, Florida ... and I am missing one.

I didn't come up with the list, I read it somewhere, there were 5 teams though on the article I read ..
Carolina? So far they have $36 mil on their salary.

Old
06-29-2011, 12:49 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by habshound247 View Post
Montreal doesn't have a capable second line center if they deal Gomez, and the UFA market is not pretty. I would rather they hold him, re-sign Price, Subban and Eller(once healthy) to long-term deals and solidify the core of the team for the next 5 years. Can always deal him July 1, 2012 when his cap hit is more than cash paid out. You will get something of value for him then, and if he gets his game back on track, maybe more than is realized.
Priority should be to get rid of him. We could think about the rest later. For second line center you can alternate between Eller, DD and a cheap one that you can aquire like Bélanger or Arnott.

Old
06-29-2011, 12:51 AM
JohnLennon

Why did we even make a part two... We don't have a single legit source. I was expecting the OP to at least have ONE, but nope.

Old
06-29-2011, 12:55 AM
Blob Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I had a dream that one day....somebody will explain to me how in hell was having Gomez the underachiever a centerpiece of getting UFA's compared to Koivu the warrior. That's, again, Gomez the guy the Rangers HAD to move compared to Koivu the guy who was worship by all the teams with his intensity and work ethic. And the guy also had his share of points and playoffs numbers as well. I will never believe that a player would see the Habs going from Koivu to Gomez and THEN think that this team is NOW really doing some efforts to be better....Makes no sense then, makes no sense now.

Sorry, but try overpayment. That's a centerpiece in getting UFA's....
There certainly was a connection for Gionta, already having played and had success with Gomez. Maybe the money alone would have convinced Gionta to come, but he said getting Gomez helped convince him (and I have no doubts other team would have offered the same money). As for Cammalleri, he had similar offers from others teams (Leafs being one) and he preferred Montreal. There again, maybe the money alone would have made it, who knows?

Old
06-29-2011, 01:22 AM
billy piton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Priority should be to get rid of him. We could think about the rest later.
great strategic thinking!

Old
06-29-2011, 01:28 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Priority should be to get rid of him. We could think about the rest later. For second line center you can alternate between Eller, DD and a cheap one that you can aquire like Bélanger or Arnott.
Rarely do we agree on things...

Though my first choice would be Jussi Jokinen

Old
06-29-2011, 02:19 AM
compile

vCash: 611
Quote:
There certainly was a connection for Gionta, already having played and had success with Gomez. Maybe the money alone would have convinced Gionta to come, but he said getting Gomez helped convince him (and I have no doubts other team would have offered the same money). As for Cammalleri, he had similar offers from others teams (Leafs being one) and he preferred Montreal. There again, maybe the money alone would have made it, who knows?
I met Cammer at a banquet for the school he went to (friend was djing and called me). I had a chance to talk to him.
He told me he didn't sign for the leafs for 1 reason.
I'm paraphrasing what he said to me...
"I live in Toronto in the off season. I don't want to work where I live and seeing how the Habs have a rich history it was a no brainer. "

Believe me or not, but that's what he told me.
I also know a guy that is close friends with the Molsons and he told me pre-playoffs that they had a talk with him and told him that his play is unacceptable and he needs to pick it up and if he doesn't they have no choice but to force PG to deal him or face playing in the minors come Janurary 2012.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:40 AM
OneSharpMarble

It shouldn't suprise me people are still bringing up that same old crap about other players signing to play with gomez. Sounded hilariously stupid then and it still does.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:24 AM
hockeyman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy piton View Post
great strategic thinking!
Exaclty what I was thinking..

Anyways I noticed you were from Zagreb, you ever see Mirko Cro Cop walking down the streets?

Mans A Legend.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:16 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
you mean 31 pts (and 36 yo) Arnott ? really ?

Old
06-29-2011, 04:29 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenRetina View Post
I met Cammer at a banquet for the school he went to (friend was djing and called me). I had a chance to talk to him.
He told me he didn't sign for the leafs for 1 reason.
I'm paraphrasing what he said to me...
"I live in Toronto in the off season. I don't want to work where I live and seeing how the Habs have a rich history it was a no brainer. "

Believe me or not, but that's what he told me.
I also know a guy that is close friends with the Molsons and he told me pre-playoffs that they had a talk with him and told him that his play is unacceptable and he needs to pick it up and if he doesn't they have no choice but to force PG to deal him or face playing in the minors come Janurary 2012.
I don't believe the minors part. They would trade him way before sending him to minors

Old
06-29-2011, 05:29 AM
Rutabaga

In order to trade Gomez, we need to wait that his value, as a second-line center go as high as possible.
But then, we need someone to replace him as our players in the system are not ready to do so. With the value of the available player, as high as possible, too, maybe even higher since Gomez, another available player, got traded...

Old
06-29-2011, 05:29 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Thing is, the story out there was that Gionta REALLY wanted to stay a Devils EVEN AFTER GOMEZ HAS BEEN TRADED HERE. Lamoriello made him an offer, than Habs came back with that incredible offer....so instead of jumping at it right away, Gionta WENT BACK to Lamoriello asking him what he should do (as in, if you upgrade your offer, I'll come back) to what Lamoriello suggested to jump on the Habs offer 'cause he'll never get it with him or anywhere else. Sorry, but that's not a "Geez, Gomez is there let's go" type of reactions. But more a response to journalists ABOUT "Was Gomez a factor for you to come here" to which he answered favorably, what can he say though? "Euh, no not all, money was the only reason...". Surely, it was a nice little thing to have....but a key role? No way.

Old
06-29-2011, 07:14 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
You're lucky....I'm actually in a nightmare I'd LIKE to wake up soon. Gomez....McDonagh....Gomez.....McDonagh....
First think I read this morning. LOL. Doesn't take you a lot to lose your sleep.

it's not like McDonagh is some kind of future defensive stud of something. Don't you feel this is a tad "drama queen"?

Old
06-29-2011, 07:42 AM
Blob Buster

Quote:
Thing is, the story out there was that Gionta REALLY wanted to stay a Devils EVEN AFTER GOMEZ HAS BEEN TRADED HERE. Lamoriello made him an offer, than Habs came back with that incredible offer....so instead of jumping at it right away, Gionta WENT BACK to Lamoriello asking him what he should do (as in, if you upgrade your offer, I'll come back) to what Lamoriello suggested to jump on the Habs offer 'cause he'll never get it with him or anywhere else. Sorry, but that's not a "Geez, Gomez is there let's go" type of reactions. But more a response to journalists ABOUT "Was Gomez a factor for you to come here" to which he answered favorably, what can he say though? "Euh, no not all, money was the only reason...". Surely, it was a nice little thing to have....but a key role? No way.
Ok, you're probably right we could have gotten everybody without Gomez, but you have to figure management thought they needed to add a big name center and they didn't want to continue with Koivu. Why they thought Gomez would work is a mistery, and a mistake we'll continue paying for for a while. What it did do was show that management was serious about changing the face of the team, for what that is worth, and it probably sent a message to the dressing room/ UFA that something was changing in Montreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Sorry...

Gomez is a keeper unless we get significant more offense and size.
In this context, I can not see him being traded.

Gomez + Beaulieu + 1st + Prospect might do it for Stamkos.
We have no idea about the cash flow of TBL.
Last season cap was 55M, previous one was 51M and 2008-9 was 50.9M.
Seems attendance has gone up and PO covers for the 4M extra spent.
I can see their cap going up to 60M but they have two major contracts:
  • Stamkos this season;
  • Hedman next season.
Without looking at others players: Downie, Moore, Kubina, Clarke, Gervais...
So the real question:
  • Stamkos at 7M+;
  • Hedman at 6M+;
Can they keep both?
If yes, Malone and St-Louis or Vinny are gone.

In that context: Vinny or St-Louis vs Gomez can make sense.
Real question is: what do we need to add to make this story look good.
No way in hell would Tampa trade Stamkos to take back a huge cap hit. They would trade Lecavalier way way before, and get rid of his extremely long contract. Pretty sure they wouldn't trade St-Louis either, his contract and cap hit are not a problem.

Old
06-29-2011, 07:57 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
No way in hell would Tampa trade Stamkos to take back a huge cap hit. They would trade Lecavalier way way before, and get rid of his extremely long contract. Pretty sure they wouldn't trade St-Louis either, his contract and cap hit are not a problem.
Vinnie's contract might be THE most untradeable out there. Big markets don't want 7.7 mil cap hit for another 9 years...small markets don't want to have to pay 10 mil per year for another 5 years.

Closed Thread