HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1: Pick #15 (J.T. Miller, F)

View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with the NYR 1st Round Pick? (do NOT vote until player is drafted)
Very Happy 57 20.80%
Somewhat Satisfied 91 33.21%
Neutral 34 12.41%
A little unhappy, but I can live with it 22 8.03%
I'm furious at Slats and Gordie 8 2.92%
I don't know enough to have an opinion 62 22.63%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Dakota Sioux

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Interesting to hear from UND fans that they think he will play wing.

Hes better suited as a center because of his playmaking ability and his two way play, but he does play all three forward positions.

Hopefully he gets a shot at both wing and center.
Don't get me wrong. I can see him playing at center this coming season and if he is good at draws he will be there. The Sioux pride themselves in winning faceoffs and he will play there if he can win them consistently. Nothing is ever etched in stone when it comes to Hakstol and his coaching staff.

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:01 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikTheKing30 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUAmSoo3gBk

I wish I could do that when I was 17-18 years old...wait, I wish I could do that now. Kid's a beast.
What are you talking about? That's just DUMB. Great way to throw your back out, never mind the chance that you overbalance and drop a 100 lb weight somewhere where it can do damage.

Now that he's our property, he damn well better A) wear a belt, B) have a spotter and C) refrain from doing stupid macho ******** that doesn't actually help you build strength but can end your career in a heartbeat!

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:03 PM
broadwayblue

Yeah, sure looks like an easy way to pull/tear/break something pretty badly.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:36 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
Don't get me wrong. I can see him playing at center this coming season and if he is good at draws he will be there. The Sioux pride themselves in winning faceoffs and he will play there if he can win them consistently. Nothing is ever etched in stone when it comes to Hakstol and his coaching staff.
You know UND better then i do.

I hope he plays both. Who knows what we will need him as in the future.

I will be following UND this winter :-)

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:56 PM
ecemleafs

hes just really tough he can do that with a 100 pound dumbbell...ya'll are just jelly u cant do that.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:58 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
What are you talking about? That's just DUMB. Great way to throw your back out, never mind the chance that you overbalance and drop a 100 lb weight somewhere where it can do damage.

Now that he's our property, he damn well better A) wear a belt, B) have a spotter and C) refrain from doing stupid macho ******** that doesn't actually help you build strength but can end your career in a heartbeat!

I've never seen anyone do snatches with a spotter. And they actually do help you build strength in multiple muscle areas, plus help you deliver that burst of strength when you need it (ie. checking).

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:05 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Quote:

Not to be that guy or or a jerk or anything but all athletes do this kind of lifting. It's called a dynamic exercise. Normal lifting (biceps curls, bench press, etc) is all static lifting, which only targets one muscle group. Doing dynamic exercises requires all the muscles in your body to work together, thus increasing total body strength, functional strength, and total body coordination, which is much more applicable to sports (like hockey) than standard static lifting.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:49 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
I've never seen anyone do snatches with a spotter. And they actually do help you build strength in multiple muscle areas, plus help you deliver that burst of strength when you need it (ie. checking).
You know what, I will take back the comment about a spotter. I will grant you that when doing dead lift, clean & jerk and snatch exercises, most people don't use one. (Although it's always a good idea to have someone watching and available to step in and help, especially when pushing yourself to extremes with heavy weights.) I can only say that I was so alarmed by his technique that I wanted someone there to stop him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikTheKing30 View Post
Not to be that guy or or a jerk or anything but all athletes do this kind of lifting. It's called a dynamic exercise. Normal lifting (biceps curls, bench press, etc) is all static lifting, which only targets one muscle group. Doing dynamic exercises requires all the muscles in your body to work together, thus increasing total body strength, functional strength, and total body coordination, which is much more applicable to sports (like hockey) than standard static lifting.
I understand the concept of dynamic vs. static. It's the basis of the argument why free weights in general are superior to machines for building practical strength. As you say, the former work entire muscle groups in a manner that is more applicable to developing strength for real world applications whereas the latter are good to isolate a specific muscle.

Look, I will admit that I'm not an expert, but I've done a fair amount of lifting over the years and I highly doubt that the Rangers organization would approve of him doing a snatch where he throws a 100lb. weight over his head while jumping 2 feet in the air. Maybe this is just me being an old fogey at 40, but I have quite literally NEVER - not once - seen that particular technique in any weight room over the last 25 years. Leave the ground by 2 inches during the initial upward thrust? Sure. 2 feet? Never.

Old
06-29-2011, 08:06 AM
Levitate

he's not really jumping 2 feet, he's kind of pulling his legs up when he does it so it looks like his feet are going higher off the ground.

I don't know a ton about one armed dumbbell snatches, but in all that doesn't look too bad (perhaps barring the hop...I've seen other people do it with the hop, and other people not do it, though they tend to be doing much lower weights). Back could maybe be straighter but he's not rounding it all the way or something.

I have to imagine the US development team has some strength coaches on staff and if they thought he was doing something horribly unsafe then they probably would have corrected it by now

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:10 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
he's not really jumping 2 feet, he's kind of pulling his legs up when he does it so it looks like his feet are going higher off the ground.

I don't know a ton about one armed dumbbell snatches, but in all that doesn't look too bad (perhaps barring the hop...I've seen other people do it with the hop, and other people not do it, though they tend to be doing much lower weights). Back could maybe be straighter but he's not rounding it all the way or something.

I have to imagine the US development team has some strength coaches on staff and if they thought he was doing something horribly unsafe then they probably would have corrected it by now
As I said, I'm not an expert, but that looks like a couple of kids messing around in the weight room to me - or at the very least not utilizing good form.

But again, maybe I'm just an old fogey who's not up to speed with newer methods and it's time for me to start every post with *Grandpa Simpson voice* "in MY day..."

Old
06-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Pizza

It's good to know that the annual crap fest on the Rangers 1st round pick has started. I was worried there might be a disturbance in the force.

-He'll be killed the first time he gets hit hard....

-No, wait he'll kill himself in the gym.

Sheesh! Keep your diapers dry ladies. Wait till Reg Grant, Graves and Messier get a hold of him.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:59 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
It's good to know that the annual crap fest on the Rangers 1st round pick has started. I was worried there might be a disturbance in the force.

-He'll be killed the first time he gets hit hard....

-No, wait he'll kill himself in the gym.

Sheesh! Keep your diapers dry ladies. Wait till Reg Grant, Graves and Messier get a hold of him.
Hahahaha. I like the pick and I have no doubt that they already have him well in hand.

Old
06-29-2011, 01:31 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
I was going to mention that when I saw the video. I don't know too much about lifting weights, but I know of a guy who used to be a pretty good prospect but hurt his back doing little jumps when lifting too much weight. Yes, he had other hockey-playing related problems, but the back thing did not help at all.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Quote:
As I said, I'm not an expert, but that looks like a couple of kids messing around in the weight room to me - or at the very least not utilizing good form.

But again, maybe I'm just an old fogey who's not up to speed with newer methods and it's time for me to start every post with *Grandpa Simpson voice* "in MY day..."
It was uploaded by the fitness program he worked with.

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:29 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
#NYR 1st round pick JT Miller: "I came here & realized this is the real deal immediately...it's pumped me up for the years to come"
Quote:
JT Miller: "I want to have my best year ever and then get here as soon as I can to play with the big guys..it's something to look forward 2"
https://twitter.com/#!/thenyrangers

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote