HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez trade in the works? LEGIT SOURCES ONLY (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2011, 08:05 AM
macavoy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Vinnie's contract might be THE most untradeable out there. Big markets don't want 7.7 mil cap hit for another 9 years...small markets don't want to have to pay 10 mil per year for another 5 years.
Regardless, his point was right that Stamkos isn't being traded for Gomez + all the gold in the world.

Old
06-29-2011, 08:19 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Vinnie's contract might be THE most untradeable out there. Big markets don't want 7.7 mil cap hit for another 9 years...small markets don't want to have to pay 10 mil per year for another 5 years.
The habs would. He's added value marketing wise... and don't forget that if he retires earlier, he won't count for 9 more years.

I'm sure there are a lot of big markets knocking on the Bolts door concerning Vinny.

Old
06-29-2011, 08:21 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
The habs would. He's added value marketing wise... and don't forget that if he retires earlier, he won't count for 9 more years.

I'm sure there are a lot of big markets knocking on the Bolts door concerning Vinny.
He isn't going to be great marketing if he is getting 50 points per season at 10 million per, it would be PR nightmare.

Old
06-29-2011, 08:30 AM
OpenIceHit

vCash: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
He isn't going to be great marketing if he is getting 50 points per season at 10 million per, it would be PR nightmare.
He never got near 50 pts except last year when he got 54 pts in 65 games and in 2001-2002. And his cap hit is 7.7M and not 10M. Why are you concerned by the 10M? Are you Geoff Molson?

For around 300K more, he would be an incredible upgrade compared to Gomez. But as we all know, it won't happen.

Old
06-29-2011, 08:34 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
He never got near 50 pts except last year when he got 54 pts in 65 games and in 2001-2002. And his cap hit is 7.7M and not 10M. Why are you concerned by the 10M? Are you Geoff Molson?

For around 300K more, he would be an incredible upgrade compared to Gomez. But as we all know, it won't happen.
Your going to be concerned if the cap drops. Plus, all players who got points elsewhere like Cammalleri, Gomez and Gionta aren't getting the same points in the Montreal system as they were elsewhere. Is Vinnie going to come here and all of sudden break the mould?

Maybe, but if he does it is because he and the players are allowed to play how they can play, and the chemistry is there too.

I like Vinnie, but I don't see him coming here unless TB is really cash strapped and offer to take Gomez and also give us a top prospect to take that contract.

Don't get me wrong, I would have my Vinnie jersey, but the fans in Montreal will be all over Vinnie the same way they are with Gomez if he doesn't produce.

Old
06-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post

Why would the Habs need Vinnie for marketing? They already have gazillions. He wouldn't give them anything bigger than Subban and Price.

Old
06-29-2011, 08:52 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Your going to be concerned if the cap drops. Plus, all players who got points elsewhere like Cammalleri, Gomez and Gionta aren't getting the same points in the Montreal system as they were elsewhere. Is Vinnie going to come here and all of sudden break the mould?

Maybe, but if he does it is because he and the players are allowed to play how they can play, and the chemistry is there too.

I like Vinnie, but I don't see him coming here unless TB is really cash strapped and offer to take Gomez and also give us a top prospect to take that contract.

Don't get me wrong, I would have my Vinnie jersey, but the fans in Montreal will be all over Vinnie the same way they are with Gomez if he doesn't produce.
Even if the cap drops, we're still stuck with Gomez cap hit which is about the same as Lecavalier.

As for the production, Gomez got the same stats his first year in Mtl as his last one in NY. Same thing with Gionta. Cammalleri is one of the best player during the playoffs, he just has to bring it to the regular season also and we all know he can, especially if he doesn't play with Gomez.

With the Stamkos deal coming up, you know that TB will have to move some salary. We still have to see how and Lecavalier is just pure speculation.

Finaly, of course if a 7M player scores 7 goals, he will get criticised...

Old
06-29-2011, 08:56 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Even if the cap drops, we're still stuck with Gomez cap hit which is about the same as Lecavalier.

As for the production, Gomez got the same stats his first year in Mtl as his last one in NY. Same thing with Gionta. Cammalleri is one of the best player during the playoffs, he just has to bring it to the regular season also and we all know he can, especially if he doesn't play with Gomez.

With the Stamkos deal coming up, you know that TB will have to move some salary. We still have to see how and Lecavalier is just pure speculation.

yes the cap hits are both effected by a drop in the cap and all that but like.. 3 years is better then 9 years.

Old
06-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

"incredible upgrade"?

That's a good one. He's put up 191 points the last 3 years playing with guys like Stamkos and St.Louis in an offensive system. Gomez has put up 155 playing in a defensive system in Montreal. That 12 points a year can easily be made up if you plug Gomez on TB's roster the last 3 years.

Right now Gomez is massively underrated because everybody craps on him about his contract. Lecavlaier if he was in Montreal would be seen the same way because of HIS contract and expectations even higher.

Old
06-29-2011, 09:00 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:

I'm speaking 5 years from now, not the next 3 years.

Old
06-29-2011, 09:01 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
"incredible upgrade"?

That's a good one. He's put up 191 points the last 3 years playing with guys like Stamkos and St.Louis in an offensive system. Gomez has put up 155 playing in a defensive system in Montreal. That 12 points a year can easily be made up if you plug Gomez on TB's roster the last 3 years.

Right now Gomez is massively underrated because everybody craps on him about his contract. Lecavlaier if he was in Montreal would be seen the same way because of HIS contract and expectations even higher.
You can keep believing Gomez is the Wizard of Oz. I would love to see him play on the second line in TB. I can't believe you're comparing Gomez to Lecavalier especialy after the last playoffs. Lecavalier can bring his team to the next level, Gomez can't.

Old
06-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Coldplay
Courage

You're my new favorite poster.

Quote:
"incredible upgrade"?

Old
06-29-2011, 09:06 AM
Nnelg

I keep hearing statements that "Florida has to start over-paying for players", and Gomez name pops up from time to time as to going to Florida.

My ques is this: why does Florida have to start over-paying if they are way under the cap? I am confused. Isn't it better to be under the cap than over?

Old
06-29-2011, 09:06 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
"incredible upgrade"?

Gomez has only played two seasons in MTL.

I'm sure St. Louis scoring a lot has nothing to do with Lecavalier either, right?

In the last 3 years;

Lecavalier 0.85 PPG (or a 70-point-per-season pace).
Gomez 0.66 PPG (or a 54-point-per-season pace).

Even if you just want to count the two years for Gomez in MTL;
0.61 PPG (or a 50-point-per-game pace).

Lecavalier in that time is;
0.84 PPG (or 69-point-per-season pace).

Old
06-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
You can keep believing Gomez is the Wizard of Oz. I would love to see him play on the second line in TB. I can't believe you're comparing Gomez to Lecavalier especialy after the last playoffs. Lecavalier can bring his team to the next level, Gomez can't.
Yeah Gomez's team hasn't made the final 4 any time recently nor has he won any cups right?

Old
06-29-2011, 09:09 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Yeah Gomez's team hasn't made the final 4 any time recently nor has he won any cups right?
He was just a mooching passenger, don't forget!

Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Gomez has only played two seasons in MTL.

I'm sure St. Louis scoring a lot has nothing to do with Lecavalier either, right?

In the last 3 years;

Lecavalier 0.85 PPG (or a 70-point-per-season pace).
Gomez 0.66 PPG (or a 54-point-per-season pace).
Gomez has played his whole career on defense first teams while TB has been a run and gun team.

I'm not saying Gomez is as good...but it's definitely not an "incredible difference". Lecavalier is no longer a 100 point guy and Gomez isn't as bad as all the creap we read about here.

Old
OpenIceHit

Quote:
And it was all because of him. Ya right!

Old
06-29-2011, 09:11 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn77 View Post
I keep hearing statements that "Florida has to start over-paying for players", and Gomez name pops up from time to time as to going to Florida.

My ques is this: why does Florida have to start over-paying if they are way under the cap? I am confused. Isn't it better to be under the cap than over?
What? Gomez overpaid? You didn't hear the news? According to some, he's the new messiah...

Old
06-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Gomez has played his whole career on defense first teams while TB has been a run and gun team.

I'm not saying Gomez is as good...but it's definitely not an "incredible difference". Lecavalier is no longer a 100 point guy and Gomez isn't as bad as all the creap we read about here.
Only last year (in the past three seasons) has Tampa Bay severely outscored Gomez's teams. The two seasons previous, Lecavalier and Gomez's teams have tied for offensive output (210 goals and 217 goals). This year was the only year that Lecavaliers team severely outscored Gomez - most likely due to St. Lous & Lecavalier finally getting some help (Stamkos).

Old
06-29-2011, 09:15 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
"incredible upgrade"?

Also Vinny did it in 224GP and Gomez did it in 235GP. Vinny didn't play with MSL or SS on 5V5 in the last two seasons, so why bring that up?

Vinny scored a lot of goals, Gomez feeded a lot of secondary assists, Gomez stats are inflated.

Vinny is 10X the man and the player that Gomez is. But his contract is ugly ugly ugly.

Old
06-29-2011, 09:18 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn77 View Post

The 2011-12 salary cap is set at $64 million. The minimum team payroll (aka the "cap floor") is $48 million. This means each NHL team must spend between $48 - $64 million on players salaries for the next NHL season. Each team must at least pay $48 million in salaries next season and some teams are below that right now so they have to spend more to get to the $48 million figure. Hence hiring costly players.

Old
06-29-2011, 09:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Also Vinny did it in 224GP and Gomez did it in 235GP. Vinny didn't play with MSL or SS on 5V5 in the last two seasons, so why bring that up?

Vinny scored a lot of goals, Gomez feeded a lot of secondary assists, Gomez stats are inflated.

Vinny is 10X the man and the player that Gomez is. But his contract is ugly ugly ugly.
Maybe 10% better, not 10x the player.

He played with St.Louis in 08-09 and the 2nd half of last year...and he was with both on the PP.

Old
06-29-2011, 09:32 AM
HCH

Quote:
You make it sound like Gomez led his teams to these kinds of results. Unfortunately he didn't. He happened to be playing on teams that had some success. That's about it.

I don't know why anyone would go to such lengths to defend a mediocre performer.

Old
06-29-2011, 09:37 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
You make it sound like Gomez led his teams to these kinds of results. Unfortunately he didn't. He happened to be playing on teams that had some success. That's about it.

I don't know why anyone would go to such lengths to defend a mediocre performer.
Not to mention he was playing with guys like Brodeur, Stevens, Rafalski, Neidermeyer, Mogilny, Holik, Arnott, Sykora, Elias, Maden ... all in their prime!! Wow! That was a contender!!!

Closed Thread