HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off Season Thread. Trade Spec/GM Mode - Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Crusher20

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
actually ,losing the wiz an pooliot will make the habs better.
Oh really? Mmm didnt know everyone relies on subban and price to carry this team... even tought its normal we cant predict even we will healthy.. will gionta decline, markov stay healthy, cammalleri reboind, etc...

Management as to be proactive and actually we are.doing the opossite.

Old
06-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
It just makes Palushaj the most logical candidate at the moment..
Palushaj isn't what we need in the bottom 6.

Old
06-28-2011, 11:54 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
3M for Barker

Id rather keep Pouliot
Yeah, 'cause that's for the next 10 years....I would have taken the gamble that the 2M of difference between both salaries, 'cause by keeping Pouliot it actually means you have to pay him..., could have been a nice bet, hoping he'd get his act together before his RFA year. 'Cause let say you can't sign Wiz or Hammer and that people suddenly Diaz is NOT yet NHL material, and then a guy like Weber is used on the tradefront to acquire something substantial up front...you will need another d-man. Clearly Barker is not necessarily THE solution but you do have to work with what you have and it's not a gimme that you'll have all the UFA's you want....

But in the end, as I expressed it after, it was more a post about how much I can,t believe this guy never improved the way I thought he would and a blind love with the idea that with us, he'd blossom. 'Cause at one point, it has to be our turn sometimes that a dissapointing guy, plays better here than elsewhere....

Old
06-29-2011, 12:17 AM
habshound247

I'd be interested in giving Cam Barker a shot as a 6th/7th defenseman.

The knock on him in Minnesota was that he never seemed into the game, and if you watched any Minnesota games, it was a valid point. But when he was in Chicago, with all that talent in front and alongside him, he played with more confidence. I'm wondering if he has lost his confidence and just needs to find it?

Old
06-29-2011, 05:20 AM
Night_Vole

Babchuk

Was giving some thought to him as an option during last year’s FA, when we were lacking a shot on the point.

I think if one thing has been proven over the last few seasons is how much our team is improved when we have that big bomb form the back end ala, Streit, Schneider, and now Wisenewski.

Obviously I’m all for resigning Wiz, but I’m convinced that other teams are probably gonna throw crazy money at him. So in the event that we can't...

Babchuk seems like a solid back up option that we be a nice stopgap to take the pressure of Weber and let him ease into a full time role properly. He is big and has a monster shot, somewhat suspect defensively but I believe this can be managed by insulating him on even strength and mostly playing him on the power play, shouldn’t be too much of a problem since both Markov and Subban play big minutes.

Ideally something like this

Markov-Subban
Spacek/Hammer-Babchuk
Gill-Georges
Yemelin-Weber

Old
06-29-2011, 05:27 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Babchuk is a terrible defender. He is Patrick Traverse with a big slapshot.

Subban is already a better shooter than Babchuk and Weber is darn close.

Babchuk is pathetically soft...........no thanks!

Old
06-29-2011, 06:33 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Vole View Post
Was giving some thought to him as an option during last yearís FA, when we were lacking a shot on the point.

I think if one thing has been proven over the last few seasons is how much our team is improved when we have that big bomb form the back end ala, Streit, Schneider, and now Wisenewski.

Obviously Iím all for resigning Wiz, but Iím convinced that other teams are probably gonna throw crazy money at him. So in the event that we can't...

Babchuk seems like a solid back up option that we be a nice stopgap to take the pressure of Weber and let him ease into a full time role properly. He is big and has a monster shot, somewhat suspect defensively but I believe this can be managed by insulating him on even strength and mostly playing him on the power play, shouldnít be too much of a problem since both Markov and Subban play big minutes.

Ideally something like this

Markov-Subban
Spacek/Hammer-Babchuk
Gill-Georges
Yemelin-Weber
We have Subban and Weber with big shots, plus Yemelin if not a bomb has an accurate shot that he gets through on one timers consistently as his goal totals last year show.

Babchuk's shot is basically his only above average skill, he is below average defensively and barely average with the puck and not very physical...I prefer investime time and energy into our young guys.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:37 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Tyler Kennedy

So I somehow missed that the Pens and Kennedy can't come to an agreement on a deal... and he's goning to hit the free market.

I am really high on him. Please PG this is the guy you want. 2nd/3rd line swing man, terrific work eithic, speed, and decent offence.

He is my number 1 taget.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:46 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

So the outlook is getting clearer now that PG has tendered the players management wishes to retain (assumption/needs are bolded):

[ -- CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR -- ]

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Top 6 ($3.000m)
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m)
Mathieu Darche ($0.700m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Ryan White ($0.650m)
Mid 6-9 ($2.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m)
Hal Gill ($2.250m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Roman Hamrlik ($2.800m) / Josh Gorges ($2.400m)
Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m) / Yannick Weber ($0.650m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Alex Auld ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS: Georges Laraque ($0.500m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,995,509; BONUSES: $400,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,304,491

[ ------------------------------------- ]

Prospects that will be called upon this upcoming season are in all likelyhood Palushaj and Engqvist. Could they make it in the roster right out of camp? Considering our needs Ithink not.

We need more physicality and better offensive consistency. Neither Palushaj nor Engqvist are the proper answer - yet.

So the question remains, with the remaining available UFA's, who fits the needs of a 3M$ mark roaming top 6 that can score 20 goals and has the grit and physical play to complement are top lines?

Also, still the remaining available UFA's, who can provide consistent offense for our 3rd line while been a top 6 replacement?

I for one see two potential signings: Miettinen and Upshall.
Care to factor in other targets?

Old
06-29-2011, 06:55 AM
OpenIceHit

vCash: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
So I somehow missed that the Pens and Kennedy can't come to an agreement on a deal... and he's goning to hit the free market.

I am really high on him. Please PG this is the guy you want. 2nd/3rd line swing man, terrific work eithic, speed, and decent offence.

He is my number 1 taget.
Small, light, doesn't play on the PK and not a big producer (carreer high last year with 45 pts) ... exactly what we need!

Old
06-29-2011, 07:03 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
Small, light, doesn't play on the PK and not a big producer (carreer high last year with 45 pts) ... exactly what we need!
I've seen this guy play a lot. He is in his mid 20's and is the hardest working man in show business. Trending upward after an injury-plagued season, 2-years ago. Size does not equate to toughness.

I read an article that says he plays in all siturations. Nearly 15 minutes a night (3 of which is on the PK and just under 2 on the PP)

I appreciate it when people bring the stats to the table and you are entitled to your opinion but I am right.

He is better than Laich imo.

Last edited by Boris Le Tigre: 06-29-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old
06-29-2011, 07:08 AM
OpenIceHit

vCash: 677
Quote:
I've seen this guy play a lot. He is in his mid 20's and is the hardest working man in show business. Trending upward after an injury-plagued season, 2-years ago. Size does not equate to toughness.

And this article says he plays in all siturations. Nearly 15 minutes a night (3 of which is on the PK and just under 2 on the PP)

http://*******************/articles/...mproved-player

I appreciate it when people bring the stats to the table and you are entitled to your opinion but I am right.

He is better than Laich imo.
The NHL website says that he plays an average of 0:02 per game on the PK. Anyway, if you've seen him a lot, I give you the benefit of the doubt but I'm not too hot about getting him nonetheless. I wasn't impressed at all when he played against us. But you're right, he's the typical player that the Habs management love to have on their roster ... even if the Pens didn't even qualify him.

Old
06-29-2011, 07:14 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
The NHL website says that he plays an average of 0:02 per game on the PK. Anyway, if you've seen him a lot, I give you the benefit of the doubt but I'm not too hot about getting him nonetheless. I wasn't impressed at all when he played against us. But you're right, he's the typical player that the Habs management love to have on their roster ... even if the Pens didn't even qualify him.
I'm being a dinkus...

I really like Kennedy. But I am no scout.

I think he's a perrenial 15/20 goals scorer and dynamite worker. And despite any concerns about his size he is a first to the puck type of player.

Carry-on

Old
06-29-2011, 07:20 AM
Protest the Hero

Kennedy is not a top 6 player imo. If you sign him, it's for his hard work and non stop skating, not goal production.

Old
06-29-2011, 07:22 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

And you appear to be right about the PK-time.

Although the Pens have some good PK guys: Talbot, Staal, Cooke, and Craig Adams all have over 2mins a game.

Kennedy appears to be 2nd unit PP guy. I think he could PK with us. We don't have that many bona fide PKers'.

Old
06-29-2011, 07:22 AM
Zam Boni

What are yout thoughts about Andrew Brunette?
Durable, 50-60 pts, slightly bigger than most of other forwards.
Maybe not an ideal top six winger, but could add some depth.

Yeah, he is old, and I haven't watched any Wild games in a while...

Old
06-29-2011, 07:29 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
Kennedy is not a top 6 player imo. If you sign him, it's for his hard work and non stop skating, not goal production.
Agreed, he can fill in that role from time to time like he did in Pittsburgh but not on a regular basis, would be a great 3rd liner especially playing with Desharnais, line would create plenty of offense

Old
06-29-2011, 07:37 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
What are yout thoughts about Andrew Brunette?
Durable, 50-60 pts, slightly bigger than most of other forwards.
Maybe not an ideal top six winger, but could add some depth.

Yeah, he is old, and I haven't watched any Wild games in a while...
He wouldn't be my plan A(Langenbrunner Cole Upshall) but might be a good plan B.

Old
06-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Courtnall6

think the Habs would consider bringing Michael Ryder back at the right price? Would he even come back? I imagine he is probably going to over-price himself anyway.

Old
06-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtnall6 View Post
think the Habs would consider bringing Michael Ryder back at the right price? Would he even come back? I imagine he is probably going to over-price himself anyway.
Could be a decent option on the 3rd line for 2.5-3 mil but I think he will look for and get 3.2-4 mil over 3-4 years somewhere where they need top 6 guys...maybe a cap floor team...Pho Fla NYI Nash etc

Old
06-29-2011, 09:17 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarto View Post
So the outlook is getting clearer now that PG has tendered the players management wishes to retain (assumption/needs are bolded):

[ -- CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR -- ]

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Top 6 ($3.000m)
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m)
Mathieu Darche ($0.700m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Ryan White ($0.650m)
Mid 6-9 ($2.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m)
Hal Gill ($2.250m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Roman Hamrlik ($2.800m) / Josh Gorges ($2.400m)
Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m) / Yannick Weber ($0.650m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Alex Auld ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS: Georges Laraque ($0.500m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,995,509; BONUSES: $400,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,304,491

[ ------------------------------------- ]

Prospects that will be called upon this upcoming season are in all likelyhood Palushaj and Engqvist. Could they make it in the roster right out of camp? Considering our needs Ithink not.

We need more physicality and better offensive consistency. Neither Palushaj nor Engqvist are the proper answer - yet.

So the question remains, with the remaining available UFA's, who fits the needs of a 3M$ mark roaming top 6 that can score 20 goals and has the grit and physical play to complement are top lines?

Also, still the remaining available UFA's, who can provide consistent offense for our 3rd line while been a top 6 replacement?

I for one see two potential signings: Miettinen and Upshall.
Care to factor in other targets?
Very good analysis. I think that's exactly what PG is looking for. A third line guy who can play first line if needed and play it well.

A guaranteed 15 goal guy third line, 20 if he plays with Pleks on the first. Hits, and makes room for Cammy.

PG will have to overpay. We can afford it. Let's see what happens guys!

Old
06-29-2011, 09:21 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

At this point, Cole and Talbot would be my choices. Re-sign Auld and we're good to go (assuming that Hamrlik will also re-sign).

Old
06-29-2011, 09:24 AM
bsl

Quote:

He is my number 1 taget.
You know, it's interesting guys. Something we don't consider much: If a young player can't agree on a contract, it means that he is confident in himself, and believes he is a good player who deserves more.

I don't think the young guys in the league want to be difficult, and go to arbitration. They worked damn hard to make the NHL and they don't want trouble.

So when they do ask for more and make things difficult, it's because they believe in themselves.

If I was PG, I'd keep a careful eyes on RFA players with such confidence, and teams that don't respond to them.

Old
06-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:

He is my number 1 taget.
Just because Sopel is leaving, it doesn't mean we need to replace him with another hideous beast.

Old
06-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

I seriously can't belive Jussi is getting no love. Guy is awesome.

Closed Thread