HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Mark Howe elected to 2011 Hockey Hall of Fame

Old
06-28-2011, 02:21 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Congrats on Mark Howe getting into the HHOF. Long overdue and about time.

We need to get Fred Shero in next. Lindros can freakin wait.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 02:24 PM
drownedsailors

vCash: 500
I'm so Happy!!

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 02:41 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Congrats to Mark on finally escaping the WHA bias!

It's a pretty good Hall of Fame class, really.

06-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Better late than never... Congratulations to a worthy inductee.

... Now, will Shero ever be inducted? I fear not due to bias against the BRBs.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
... Now, will Shero ever be inducted? I fear not due to bias against the BRBs.
Mike Emrick is going to have to sell him a bit more hard.

Bill, I know you wrote about this, but to all the people who thinks Mike hates the Flyers, Mark Howe doesn't get in unless Doc consistently pushes for him to get in. He's been at it almost since he was elected to the committee. Same will go for Shero, I guess. Shero has to get in before Pat Burns, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's holding Pat Burns out.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Mike Emrick is going to have to sell him a bit more hard.

Bill, I know you wrote about this, but to all the people who thinks Mike hates the Flyers, Mark Howe doesn't get in unless Doc consistently pushes for him to get in. He's been at it almost since he was elected to the committee. Same will go for Shero, I guess. Shero has to get in before Pat Burns, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's holding Pat Burns out.
Emrick was with the Flyers in some capacity or another between 1983 and 1993 and was with the Maine Mariners, then the Flyers AHL club, before that IIRC... so Mike had plenty opportunity to see and appreciate Mark firsthand. It would surprise me if he didn't fully understand just how great a career Howe had.

I suppose Emrick learned to appreciate Freddy The Fog as he was getting his feet wet in the business and then seeing the effects of Shero's years with he Flyers while Mike was with the Organization.

Pity Mike long association with our arch enemies across the Delaware has turned him against the O&B.

I appreciate his work to get Mark in but feel that sooner or later the NHL had to realize and recognize Howe's outstanding career... Sadly I don't expect that his help with Shero will succeed, nor that the Hall selection committee will enshrine the leader of the NHL's renegade hooligans of the Mid-Seventies.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:39 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Emrick was with the Flyers in some capacity or another between 1983 and 1993 and was with the Maine Mariners, then the Flyers AHL club, before that IIRC... so Mike had plenty opportunity to see and appreciate Mark firsthand. It would surprise me if he didn't fully understand just how great a career Howe had.

I suppose Emrick learned to appreciate Freddy The Fog as he was getting his feet wet in the business and then seeing the effects of Shero's years with he Flyers while Mike was with the Organization.

Pity Mike long association with our arch enemies across the Delaware has turned him against the O&B.

I appreciate his work to get Mark in but feel that sooner or later the NHL had to realize and recognize Howe's outstanding career... Sadly I don't expect that his help with Shero will succeed, nor that the Hall selection committee will enshrine the leader of the NHL's renegade hooligans of the Mid-Seventies.
Emrick didn't leave the Flyers on the best of terms. He got into a public spat with management (Ron Ryan was a key figure in the team' structure at that time) centering around his contract including obligations upon the completion of what was his last deal. He wanted more opportunity to do other work besides hockey (he did NFL for a while and maybe lacrosse) but the Flyers wanted someone solely dedicated to the team, more so a company face. In came the return of Gene Hart to TV after being on radio for a few years, something supported by fans -- the team sent a survey around to season-ticket holders, but his age worked against during that second stint.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:42 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Nice!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:51 PM
infidelappel*

Well deserved, long overdue. Congrats.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Doyle

Finally, Howe Takes Rightful Place with Hockey’s All-Time Elite

http://nhlhotstove.com/finally-howe-...ll-time-elite/

Quote:
Also a member of Hockey’s Royal Family, Mark is the first-born son of Gordie “Mr. Hockey” Howe and his late-wife, Colleen.

During a 22-year career split between the World Hockey Association and National Hockey League, Howe posted 405 goals and 1,246 points in 1,355 games. In 929 contests over 16 seasons in the NHL, he scored 197 goals and recorded 742 points.

Howe played ten dominating years with the Philadelphia Flyers, which were sandwiched between his first three seasons with the Hartford Whalers, and his final three with the Detroit Red Wings. For most of those years during the 1980′s in Philadelphia, Howe and defense-partner Brad McCrimmon were the top pairing in the league.

Counted on to put up impressive offensive numbers from the blue line each year was only part of the greatness of the now-56-year-old native of Detroit. During the course of his NHL career, Howe was a combined +400 in the plus / minus ratings, including a league-leading +85 in the 1985-85 season.

Not many players could control a game the way Howe could, and few who watched him play will forget his classy way, his smooth skating stride, and his blistering wrist shot.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-28-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Emrick didn't leave the Flyers on the best of terms. He got into a public spat with management (Ron Ryan was a key figure in the team' structure at that time) centering around his contract including obligations upon the completion of what was his last deal. He wanted more opportunity to do other work besides hockey (he did NFL for a while and maybe lacrosse) but the Flyers wanted someone solely dedicated to the team, more so a company face. In came the return of Gene Hart to TV after being on radio for a few years, something supported by fans -- the team sent a survey around to season-ticket holders, but his age worked against during that second stint.
Thanks, MSE, I totally forgot about all that crap... Explains the ill feelings I suppose. I was never a fan of his... Spoiled by Geno I guess.

Old
06-29-2011, 10:20 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Howe also had a no-trade clause at the time of his trade from Hartford. He lifted it because of his desire to play in Philadelphia.

The importance of the Game 1 win in 1985 against the Rangers is overlooked. Howe's OT goal was an enormous sense of relief.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-29-2011 at 10:28 AM. Reason: typo
Old
06-29-2011, 10:27 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
when i first read this, i thought it was the Flyers HOF. With that being said, LeClair will probably never get in

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:27 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
The importance of the Game 1 win in 1985 against the Rangers is overlooked. Howe's OT goal was an enormous sense of relief.
They showed that goal this morning on Comcast.

There simply is no way to describe how important that goal was.

There is also no way to describe my disappointment that the video of it exists nowhere on the interwebs.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:52 PM
04' hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Congrats on Mark Howe getting into the HHOF. Long overdue and about time.

We need to get Fred Shero in next. Lindros can freakin wait.
AGREE.....lindros can wait and wait and wait......

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:55 PM
brian822

Quote:
Howe also had a no-trade clause at the time of his trade from Hartford. He lifted it because of his desire to play in Philadelphia.

have that game on tape. Flyers blew a lead lat in the 3rd but Howe saved them

brian822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:10 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
They showed that goal this morning on Comcast.

There simply is no way to describe how important that goal was.

There is also no way to describe my disappointment that the video of it exists nowhere on the interwebs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian822 View Post
have that game on tape. Flyers blew a lead lat in the 3rd but Howe saved them
Good stuff. I have hope someone can put it on youtube.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:57 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Jay Greenberg posted a column with quotes from Mike Keenan:

http://www.csnphilly.com/06/29/11/bG...280&feedID=695

Quote:
“Everybody makes a poor decision from time to time,” said Mike Keenan Wednesday. “I think Mark took more risks in the neutral zone because he knew he could recover.

“He would make a faux pas, give up the puck that gave the opponent a start the rest of the way, and next thing you know, two strides later, Mark was right beside the guy.

“It was fluid, effortless. You could hear the difference at ice level in the sound of his blade barely digging into the ice, almost like he was wearing slippers out there.”

Midnight tolled for two Flyers finalists in 1985 and 1987 in Edmonton against the greatest offensive machine ever. It’s now six Oiler Hall of Famers from those two series against one for the Flyers, which tells you how good that one was, even if you take into account that for all intents and purposes Keenan essentially used Howe for two.

“I laugh now when I hear about the [burden on] Chris Pronger, playing 27 minutes a game,” said the coach. “I used Mark 30 or 31 a game because I could.

“There was such an economy, to him that he could move the puck out of the zone either by passing or carrying it out. He also could go back and recover the [dumped] puck so well, he wasn’t hit very often and when Ron Hextall came along Mark’s joke was that it was going to add 10 years to his career.”
Quote:
“When I became coach of the Flyers (in Howe’s third season with the team) there were a lot of things Mark had to sort out,” said Keenan. “He had to find out just how good he really was, which I could convince him of by giving him that much ice time and responsibility.

“But the comparisons with his father were there, too. He was so humble and respectful he never thought he could be that good compared to his father, a hurdle he had to overcome to find his own comfort level.

“He never tried to be his father, held him such high esteem that he thought being compared to him was almost an embarrassment.”

Old
06-29-2011, 07:02 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I noticed something, throughout his entire NHL (not WHA) career, is there any other d-man throughout the 80s and early 90s that had a better +/- than Howe? Howe, from 1979 to 1995, had a +/- of +400. Even in the heavily offensive year of 92-93 he was a +22.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:14 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^I'm not sure of the numbers but he also played forward (LW) in his early NHL days with the Whalers.

Old
06-29-2011, 07:41 PM
DickTony

Random Mark Howe story...when I was a kid, there was a period of time where my grandmother was working in real estate. She sold a house to Mark Howe and didn't realize he was a great player in his own right...she instead asked her for two autographs from Gordie, which he gave to her, rather graciously I might add. I was only like 10 at the time, and the Gordie autograph was great (and personalized, which means he went to see him to get it), but I would of loved to have a Mark Howe signature hanging on my wall. I wish I would have seen him play.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 02:55 PM
mirimon

Congrats to Howe. Long, long overdue imo.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote