HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez trade in the works? LEGIT SOURCES ONLY (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2011, 09:38 AM
bsl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Sorry..

We have no idea about the cash flow of TBL.
Last season cap was 55M, previous one was 51M and 2008-9 was 50.9M.
Seems attendance has gone up and PO covers for the 4M extra spent.
I can see their cap going up to 60M but they have two major contracts:
  • Stamkos this season;
  • Hedman next season.
Without looking at others players: Downie, Moore, Kubina, Clarke, Gervais...
So the real question:
  • Stamkos at 7M+;
  • Hedman at 6M+;
Can they keep both?
If yes, Malone and St-Louis or Vinny are gone.

Very good points. We all get pissed off about how fast Tampa has turned it around, AGAIN, after tanking.

But remember: They need to pay for their stars.

We can. They can't, apparently.

They may not have the revenue to afford it, ever.

And Stevie Y and Boucher may well come to regret that.

I wonder if they considered this when they ran south so eagerly...

The last laugh may be with us.

Old
06-29-2011, 09:50 AM
glenn77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
The 2011-12 salary cap is set at $64 million. The minimum team payroll (aka the "cap floor") is $48 million. This means each NHL team must spend between $48 - $64 million on players salaries for the next NHL season. Each team must at least pay $48 million in salaries next season and some teams are below that right now so they have to spend more to get to the $48 million figure. Hence hiring costly players.
Ok thanks for the clarification.
Never really looked into the ins-and-outs of how the cap works - I guess I can blame EA NHL hockey where you can trade and release to your hearts content LOL!

Thanks!

I have one more ques, if U don't mind. On the following site, it lists 2010-11 salary and 2010-11 Salary Cap Hit >> why are these numbers different?

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/Montreal/

For example, take Lars Eller as example:
Pos. PLAYER 10-11 SALARY 10-11 CAP HIT
C Lars Eller $875,000 $1,270,833

Old
06-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
You make it sound like Gomez led his teams to these kinds of results. Unfortunately he didn't. He happened to be playing on teams that had some success. That's about it.

I don't know why anyone would go to such lengths to defend a mediocre performer.
He was the top center on a team that won the cup and was #3 scorer in last year's playoffs.

Old
06-29-2011, 10:02 AM
ngc_5128

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn77 View Post
I have one more ques, if U don't mind. On the following site, it lists 2010-11 salary and 2010-11 Salary Cap Hit >> why are these numbers different?

The difference is because the cap hit needs to include any kind of bonus the player may or may not achieve. As a 1st round pick, his contract probably includes bonuses for winning any kind of major award, or perhaps performance bonuses.

Old
06-29-2011, 10:08 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn77 View Post
Ok thanks for the clarification.
Never really looked into the ins-and-outs of how the cap works - I guess I can blame EA NHL hockey where you can trade and release to your hearts content LOL!

Thanks!

The salary cap hit is calculated as the average yearly salary of a player. In other words the salary of a player can differ from year to year but not the cap hit.

Lets say hypothetical gritty third liner Joe Goon is paid 1m in 10-11, 1.3m in 11-12 and 1.5m in 12-13. His salary in 10-11 is 1m and his cap hit is 1.3m

Hope this helped!

Old
06-29-2011, 10:17 AM
glenn77

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
The salary cap hit is calculated as the average yearly salary of a player. In other words the salary of a player can differ from year to year but not the cap hit.

Lets say hypothetical gritty third liner Joe Goon is paid 1m in 10-11, 1.3m in 11-12 and 1.5m in 12-13. His salary in 10-11 is 1m and his cap hit is 1.3m

Hope this helped!

Many thanks - its starting to sink in now.

Old
06-29-2011, 10:21 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He was the top center on a team that won the cup and was #3 scorer in last year's playoffs.
When was that? The first one were he was clearly behind Arnott, or the second one were Madden outscored him?

Old
06-29-2011, 10:36 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Very good points. We all get pissed off about how fast Tampa has turned it around, AGAIN, after tanking.

But remember: They need to pay for their stars.

We can. They can't, apparently.

They may not have the revenue to afford it, ever.

And Stevie Y and Boucher may well come to regret that.

I wonder if they considered this when they ran south so eagerly...

The last laugh may be with us.
Jeff Vinnik owns the Lightning. They can afford anything we can. Trust me.

Old
06-29-2011, 10:43 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
When was that? The first one were he was clearly behind Arnott, or the second one were Madden outscored him?
Oh ****.. You mean the he had the 2nd most point on his team?

That ****ing sucks, what's he even doing in the NHL?

Old
06-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Jeff Vinnik owns the Lightning. They can afford anything we can. Trust me.
They could in theory but since Montreal spends to the cap and Vinik's Lightning hasn't I'm not sure you can count on the billionaire owner cutting a check for losses due to high salaries. Montreal you know can easily pay out everything just by their own revenues which is completely different.

Old
06-29-2011, 11:16 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Oh ****.. You mean the he had the 2nd most point on his team?

If by 2nd most points, you mean 7th most points tied with Jay Freakin' Pandolfo while getting prime ice time with top wingers then you're exactly right..

But yeah, 2nd most pts amongst centers.... with John Madden facing all the top opposition because back then teams were matching shutdown 3rd lines against 1st lines instead of how it is now (1st against 1st).

So he wasn't actually really a first line center on a stanley cup team. Or if he was, it doesn't hold the same weight than it does now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
That ****ing sucks, what's he even doing in the NHL?
Actually, it really does ****ing suck doesn't it ?

Old
06-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

I don't think Gauthier will trade Gomez this off season , the only way he do it if he can sign or trade for a legit second line center with experience. I don't think you can go with Eller and Desharnais next year without a guy in front of them in the depth chart. If they struggle both they will take a step back and fail under the pressure.

Gomez will have his last chance next year and even if he succeed and help the team he will be trade next year if DD or Eller have a good year. It's not the time this year to trade Gomez.

Old
06-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Max et Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
I don't think Gauthier will trade Gomez this off season , the only way he do it if he can sign or trade for a legit second line center with experience. I don't think you can go with Eller and Desharnais next year without a guy in front of them in the depth chart. If they struggle both they will take a step back and fail under the pressure.

Gomez will have his last chance next year and even if he succeed and help the team he will be trade next year if DD or Eller have a good year. It's not the time this year to trade Gomez.
Agreed.

And if Gomez is traded this summer, and we don't get an experienced C in return, it will be hilarious when, in 9 months, people here are *****ing and whining that we need a veteran C, since DD and Eller are kids. "Screw PG, what a bum, why did he trade Gomez?"

Old
06-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
CP, go look up gomez's toi from his time with the devils... If my memory serves me well, he wasnt even top 5, among fwds, in any of the years they had deep playoff runs, and I thinks his minutes actually dropped come playoff time.

Gomez was more "along for the ride" than he was a leader/top player for the bulk of his time in NJ.

Old
06-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
CP, go look up gomez's toi from his time with the devils... If my memory serves me well, he wasnt even top 5, among fwds, in any of the years they had deep playoff runs, and I thinks his minutes actually dropped come playoff time.

Gomez was more "along for the ride" than he was a leader/top player for the bulk of his time in NJ.
Along for the ride?
He was consistently in the top 5 point getters for those playoff teams and a huge part of their success. He lead the Devils in points in the playoffs twice during his stay. He had amazing years in NJ.

Yes he had a bad year last year but let's not start making **** up either. He was excellent in the playoffs for NJ and is still excellent in the playoffs.

Old
06-29-2011, 01:13 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

anyone care to tell my how he was at 15/16 ?

Old
06-29-2011, 01:18 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
If by 2nd most points, you mean 7th most points tied with Jay Freakin' Pandolfo while getting prime ice time with top wingers then you're exactly right..

But yeah, 2nd most pts amongst centers.... with John Madden facing all the top opposition because back then teams were matching shutdown 3rd lines against 1st lines instead of how it is now (1st against 1st).

So he wasn't actually really a first line center on a stanley cup team. Or if he was, it doesn't hold the same weight than it does now.

Actually, it really does ****ing suck doesn't it ?
Yeah... that was 8 years ago.. he was 23 years old.

What about 53pts in his 56 po games since the lockout? I didn't include this year's stats as this was a fluke.

You are right, I want anything to do with a player who is 0.94PPG in the playoffs, it's not good enough!

Old
06-29-2011, 01:24 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Gomez has played his whole career on defense first teams while TB has been a run and gun team.

I'm not saying Gomez is as good...but it's definitely not an "incredible difference". Lecavalier is no longer a 100 point guy and Gomez isn't as bad as all the creap we read about here.
I don't want Vinny, but he would be a ginormous upgrade over Scott 8 goal gomez.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Intense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgVvIfAUFn0

Old
06-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post
If you notice one thing in that video is that when he is successful he drives the net. Loves to give up the puck right before the blue line and rush the front of the net to redirect the return feed and bury rebounds.

One thing you notice about him too and even though he had a terrible point production this year is he is one of the best skaters with the puck in the league when breaking through the neutral zone. He's a one-man anti-trap when he's carrying the puck on the offensive rush. Needs to stop doing the perimeter thing when he does gain the zone though and drive the net.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Intense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
If you notice one thing in that video is that when he is successful he drives the net. Loves to give up the puck right before the blue line and rush the front of the net to redirect the return feed and bury rebounds.

One thing you notice about him too and even though he had a terrible point production this year is he is one of the best skaters with the puck in the league when breaking through the neutral zone. He's a one-man anti-trap when he's carrying the puck on the offensive rush. Needs to stop doing the perimeter thing when he does gain the zone though and drive the net.

Exactly ! I think his problems are more mental than anything else. All his physical skills are still there, he's only 31 years old. He just needs to go back to his successful ways.

Old
06-29-2011, 07:52 PM
HeShootsHeScores

Quote:
His homeworks should be to watch this video. It's a perfect example of how little details make a big difference. In the vid, he's not trying to dipsy doodle like he's playing Pee wee BB and he's driving the net. Basically his decisions were way better.

Old
06-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Coldplay
Courage

To those of you saying Gomez was a non factor on the Devils, that video completely shuts that idea out.

That's the Scott I want to see. That's the Scott I was a fan of long before he became a Hab.

You're 31, you can do it again. Come on.

Old
06-29-2011, 08:29 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
To those of you saying Gomez was a non factor on the Devils, that video completely shuts that idea out.

That's the Scott I want to see. That's the Scott I was a fan of long before he became a Hab.

You're 31, you can do it again. Come on.
Obviously he was a lot more than a non-factor but there are a lot of people here who claim he led the team to victory. He participated and contributed, I still have a hard time believing that he led the team.

Old
06-29-2011, 09:04 PM
Belso

Quote:
WTF happened to this guy!?!

Closed Thread