HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia

Youth hockey in Russia

Old
06-28-2011, 02:24 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

vCash: 500
Is it sure that Grigorenko will play in CHL next season? I read rumours only.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 02:30 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Is it sure that Grigorenko will play in CHL next season? I read rumours only.
If he leaves we can forget about him being the next great Russian star.

Peter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:06 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
This is very true.

It baffles me how every intelligent Russian hockey fan knows that the KHL expanding to the West is nothing but a waste of Russian resources, but the leadership of the KHL does not realize this.
well I am sure they understand it, it's nothing but populism. I believe Medvedev (KHL's) has other goals aside from hockey. I see a shift into politics sooner than later.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:11 AM
cska78

I am extremely against players of Grigorenko's level (Kuznetsovs, Tarasenko's of the world) leaving to NA early. Leave @ 22-23 even 24 once you are a complete player. Lesser caliber players, who may not be able to earn themselves a regular shift in the KHL - is another story, some may benefit form competitive hockey and big ice-time.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:36 PM
NMF78

Quote:
This is very true.

It baffles me how every intelligent Russian hockey fan knows that the KHL expanding to the West is nothing but a waste of Russian resources, but the leadership of the KHL does not realize this.

Well i'm from western europe and i also agree (although expanding into slovakia does make sense because its not that far and its a country with a hockey tradition).

Expanding beyond a league naturals borders rarely or never works.

NMF78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:52 PM
yunost

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
I understand your point, I just don't think KHL today warrants good competition and offers good ways for a player do develop. It's just a good place for a fringe NHLer to make a stop-gap, earn some money and take a breather to go conquer the NHL or for some guy who can't play @ 115% 82 games a season any longer due to age or injuries to still keep his career alive and make decent $$$. KHL only has a handful good teams and the only reason why - players are grossly overpaid.
If you wanna tell me, that teams in the KHL are anywhere close to the NHL in players development, training practices, attitude of the players and etc I will have to disagree with you completely. Moreover, KHL, unlike the NHL is not geared towards parity and doesn't give the teams an equal chance to succeed - it's the league for the richest.

Quote:
This is very true.

Guys, I have no idea where you are getting such negative/pessimistic views of the KHL. I disagree with the both of you. I understand that some of your frustration stems from the fact that you like the KHL, and you want it to do well.

I have a different view. A view that does not include the NHL Hegemony.
Why is it that the KHL has to specifically develop in such a way as to directly target the NHL in every comparable way? In that sense, your right, it wont beat the NHL in any foreseeable future. That being said, lets look at it from a different perspective. The KHL has been very successful in doing the things it set out to do. From a competitive perspective, it is an international brand that has outdone its European counterparts by a large margin.
The KHL is a recognizable brand in North America, as opposed to the SM-Liiga, Extraliga etc.
There is an increasing amount of attraction to foreigners, and I mean professionals such as Chervenka, Omark, and more.
It is a lot more organized, and streamlined(KHL VHL MHL).

Thats not necessarily my point. I want to expose the idea that it is not the KHL who overpays, but the NHL that underpays. Im sorry, but 82 games at 115% with the amount of injuries in the NHL(At least triple the KHL), preceded by 3 years of dogfighting in the AHL making less than plumbers only to sign a 1.5mil/year contract that will be taxed 40%??? **** that. Really. At any age.

I want to point out that this is basic economics. The NHL and KHL make their offers to the market(players), and they choose what is better to them. If the KHL is able to offer more than the NHL, good for them. Why does that cause strange reactions for people? Right now, that NHL is able to propagate the fact that is is the best and the most stable to an extent where people take very large pay-cuts to play there instead of the KHL. Thats fine. It might change though.

Speaking of the high price offers, that is completely an issue of its own that has nothing to do with anything. Clubs have money, and due to the low amount of skilled players avalable(most are already in the NHL) it is offering high prices to get the little available that they can get. Obviously when more skilled players are in the league(MHL grads, new Europeans that chose KHL instead etc.), and the more prominence that the KHL gains, the prices will be more streamlined.

I think the KHL offering such prices is a good thing for the players. It decreases the opportunity for the NHL to exploit the players.

-
What I like a lot about the KHL is the fact that they are and independent operating league that does not see itself as a second-rate league like the SEL for example. What I mean by that is that the KHL organizes and structures itself in a way where it accommodates itself and not the NHL. If it is unprofitable, it wont sign a transfer with the NHL. They wont blindly send their youth to the CHL. And they will not buy into pressure from anybody including the west(like other european nations who have been kissing the west's ass and have ruined their hockey programs).

Cska78, the KHL is inferior in Player Development? No, I think that the KHL has the development portion figured out, if anything developing players from childhood in one club is the ultimate way of development that caters to the team. Not like the NHL, relying on being the best league and expect all players to show up and dictate which AHL team to send them to so they can get roughed up by goons with no future. Then to throw out the players they ruined, and to take the ones that happened to succeed.

Speaking of draft, the KHL has that taken care of that as-well. Although its effectiveness is debatable, its use isn't. With the creation of the MHL and MHL B, hockey in Russia is expanding and alot more kids are being put on the map. KHL players will not exclusively be made in 24 MHL teams but from talented Russians everywhere. They need to be sorted. Long term should also be taken into consideration. Personally, I think the draft has become better and more serious each year since its inception. In the future(<--), I strongly believe that many Europeans and eventually North Americans will choose to go to the KHL before the NHL for reasons such as easier to make a roster and way more money than the AHL. All those players need to be sorted- for the equality of teams that is apparently violated in the KHL.

Fact is some teams are richer than others. Everywhere. The KHL is doing much better with the salary cap, and will soon introduce a hard cap that will be voted on by all clubs. Thats that.

As an organizational philosophical standpoint, I think it is already equal to the NHL. And I respect that.
-

I have no idea why Americans and Canadians are so concerned for the profitability of Russian owners. It bewilders me. Why do you care if Ivan from Penza is making a profit running his club? The league is profitable, the club pays the bills, and the players are happy. Quite frankly that should be enough reason for everyone to shut their mouths and accept the fact that the club does well.

As for the expansion into the west, I used to be against it. But the more I think about it, the less I care. Why not? From its inception, the leagues goal was to become pan-European and expand hockey markets. The KHL has been much more successful in doing that compared to the NHL who could not care less about the sport in general. The NHL does absolutely nothing- it tours Europe to promote itself, get Europeans to leave their home clubs and then tosses them back when they are worn out. Slovakian and Czech hockey have been the main victims of this. The KHL on the other hand wants to establish a club there, train its youth and nurture the sport- even at a loss sometimes. Imagine how good it would be for hockey to have 60 million Italians talk about hockey, and new generation professional Italian players?
I dont particularly care if they do or not, but it is not a negative to the KHL at all.

Besides, they are not wasting Russia's resources, they are wasting personal resources. I dont care where that goes. It is personal choice. If a Russian wants to invest in Italian hockey, good. Whats the problem. You cant force the man to put his personal money towards Russian hockey.
If anything I would rather see resources being wasted on west hockey teams than London homes and Bentleys.
It is also a misconception to think that Russia is wasting its resources. Russia offers no tax exemptions for foreign charity and and the KHL finds the nationals of that country to support those clubs. As far as I know, LEV is not using Russian money, Budivelnyk was supposed to be funded by a Ukranian, and Medvedev will certainly get an Italian to fund the proposed Milan team. The Russian federation is not handing out checks to foreign clubs. I have no idea how people formulated this thought.

Now, consider this: the KHL has pulled of all this in the matter of 3 years.

I think we could use some optimism

yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post
As for the expansion into the west, I used to be against it. But the more I think about it, the less I care. Why not? From its inception, the leagues goal was to become pan-European and expand hockey markets.
The money to run these foreign teams will come from Russia. Russian money is being squandered abroad with zero benefit to Russia or Russian hockey.

Quote:
Besides, they are not wasting Russia's resources, they are wasting personal resources.
If the money is owned by Russian people then it is Russian resources.

Quote:
If a Russian wants to invest in Italian hockey, good. Whats the problem.
The problem is that this money will leave Russia and never return. And if the KHL is helping to develop Italian/Slovak/Finnish hockey what does Russia or Russian hockey gain from it? The KHL should exist to develop Russian and ex-Soviet countries hockey (looking at this from pure political point of view even Latvia could be excluded from the KHL because of Latvia's foreign and internal policy, but let's keep them in because Riga is a great hockey city).

Quote:
You cant force the man to put his personal money towards Russian hockey.
True, but you can block him from investing his money to West European KHL team by not allowing the KHL to expand to West Europe.

Quote:
If anything I would rather see resources being wasted on west hockey teams than London homes and Bentleys.
Of course that is true, but if a man wants to waste his millions to hockey then let's offer him an opportunity to do that in Voskresensk or Penza, or maybe even Sochi or Rostov-on-Don, instead of London.

Quote:
As far as I know, LEV is not using Russian money, Budivelnyk was supposed to be funded by a Ukranian, and Medvedev will certainly get an Italian to fund the proposed Milan team.
I have no idea about this so I cannot really comment.

In general I view the KHL positively. It is certainly a big upgrade over the Russian elite league in the 1990's and early 2000's. It is by far the best league in the old continent. It can keep the best non-NHL Russians home. It can even bring some NHL level Russians to play in Russia. It has generated new interest in hockey in Russia and abroad. Many hockey fans in a traditionally anti-Russian country like Finland follow the KHL (although the KHL is also ridiculed or hated by many hockey fans in Finland). Even one Finnish TV network is showing the KHL matches regularly, which could not have happened just five years ago.

Where the KHL needs to improve is mostly junior development. It is too early to say how many quality players the MHL can develop.

Also, the tempo of the game is too slow in too many KHL games. This even showed in the last World Championships where Russian team played with a slower tempo than teams like Finland, Sweden and Canada. The old USSR used to play with a far higher tempo than other teams. The KHL needs to make it's game faster and more modern. There is more skill in the KHL than in other European leagues, but the coaches need to focus on getting more out of these players and force them to play with higher tempo.

Peter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:28 PM
cska78

i pretty much agree with everything Peter has said, and without neat-picking I got nothing else to add.

KHL has it's great point and it has it's bad points...I feel awful loosing hockey hot-beds like Setun', Voskresensk, Togliati, while watching russian money flow into Rigas, Poprads, Turkeys, and MIlans of the world

Old
06-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF78 View Post
Well i'm from western europe and i also agree (although expanding into slovakia does make sense because its not that far and its a country with a hockey tradition).

Expanding beyond a league naturals borders rarely or never works.
Excellent point! The NHL consists of only two countries, and of the 7 Canadian teams in the NHL, 5 are less than 50 km from the US border.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Excellent point! The NHL consists of only two countries, and of the 7 Canadian teams in the NHL, 5 are less than 50 km from the US border.
BTW, I am counting Winnipeg, formerly Atlanta, as one of the 7.

Old
06-28-2011, 09:20 PM
obsenssive*

Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
foreign investment by a private company is a good thing with the potential for market capitalization. the difference is it's money taken from the natural resources of Russia.

obsenssive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 03:46 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

HC LEV Poprad - they have no money from Russia as I know.
Draft KHL - what is original idea of draft NHL? IMO to focus ONLY on canada (60s), later US and with globalisation to Europe.

KHL does the first step - to focus for Russia - like NHL did in 60s. IMO it is ok, why should NHL/ KHL draft intervene into other countries? why should NHL/ KHL draft ruin developing system in Sweden, Slovakia or so? I like what KHL does. They dont sign drafted Finn to play in MHL at 17 years. They just wait until he is fully developed (like Riga signed Lucenius). I hate about NHL draft that they force europeans to play in CHL, AHL instead of developing at home. So, europeans junior leagues fall

Old
06-29-2011, 05:51 AM
cska78

Quote:
HC LEV Poprad - they have no money from Russia as I know.
Draft KHL - what is original idea of draft NHL? IMO to focus ONLY on canada (60s), later US and with globalisation to Europe.

KHL does the first step - to focus for Russia - like NHL did in 60s. IMO it is ok, why should NHL/ KHL draft intervene into other countries? why should NHL/ KHL draft ruin developing system in Sweden, Slovakia or so? I like what KHL does. They dont sign drafted Finn to play in MHL at 17 years. They just wait until he is fully developed (like Riga signed Lucenius). I hate about NHL draft that they force europeans to play in CHL, AHL instead of developing at home. So, europeans junior leagues fall
force to play in the CHL? Really....

Old
06-29-2011, 06:05 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
force to play in the CHL? Really....
ok, I did not write it clear. Look at idea of agents "it is better if you play in CHL, you have higher chance to be drafted in NHL"

I know, there are some problems in developing in Europe (especially Slovakia, Czech) but why swedes go to CHL? Do they have terrible conditions at home? Why did Yakupov do the same? What about Grigorenko?

OK, nhl team does not force, but agents. And reason? NHL draft

Old
06-29-2011, 07:05 AM
cska78

Quote:
ok, I did not write it clear. Look at idea of agents "it is better if you play in CHL, you have higher chance to be drafted in NHL"

I know, there are some problems in developing in Europe (especially Slovakia, Czech) but why swedes go to CHL? Do they have terrible conditions at home? Why did Yakupov do the same? What about Grigorenko?

OK, nhl team does not force, but agents. And reason? NHL draft
Most likely, even if Grigorenko gets PT in the KHL this year it will be very little, so most of the time he will be playing in the MHL which is worse than CHL. If he comes to the CHL he may loose some of the Russian schooling, but will gain a high draft choice a good contract and the chance to play against most of the best players in the world. If your aspirations - to make a name in hockey - you choose the latter rout. KHL is $$$ and not much more.

Old
06-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Guys, I have no idea where you are getting such negative/pessimistic views of the KHL. I disagree with the both of you. I understand that some of your frustration stems from the fact that you like the KHL, and you want it to do well.

I have a different view. A view that does not include the NHL Hegemony.
Why is it that the KHL has to specifically develop in such a way as to directly target the NHL in every comparable way? In that sense, your right, it wont beat the NHL in any foreseeable future. That being said, lets look at it from a different perspective. The KHL has been very successful in doing the things it set out to do. From a competitive perspective, it is an international brand that has outdone its European counterparts by a large margin.
The KHL is a recognizable brand in North America, as opposed to the SM-Liiga, Extraliga etc.
There is an increasing amount of attraction to foreigners, and I mean professionals such as Chervenka, Omark, and more.
It is a lot more organized, and streamlined(KHL VHL MHL).

Thats not necessarily my point. I want to expose the idea that it is not the KHL who overpays, but the NHL that underpays. Im sorry, but 82 games at 115% with the amount of injuries in the NHL(At least triple the KHL), preceded by 3 years of dogfighting in the AHL making less than plumbers only to sign a 1.5mil/year contract that will be taxed 40%??? **** that. Really. At any age.

I want to point out that this is basic economics. The NHL and KHL make their offers to the market(players), and they choose what is better to them. If the KHL is able to offer more than the NHL, good for them. Why does that cause strange reactions for people? Right now, that NHL is able to propagate the fact that is is the best and the most stable to an extent where people take very large pay-cuts to play there instead of the KHL. Thats fine. It might change though.

Speaking of the high price offers, that is completely an issue of its own that has nothing to do with anything. Clubs have money, and due to the low amount of skilled players avalable(most are already in the NHL) it is offering high prices to get the little available that they can get. Obviously when more skilled players are in the league(MHL grads, new Europeans that chose KHL instead etc.), and the more prominence that the KHL gains, the prices will be more streamlined.

I think the KHL offering such prices is a good thing for the players. It decreases the opportunity for the NHL to exploit the players.

-
What I like a lot about the KHL is the fact that they are and independent operating league that does not see itself as a second-rate league like the SEL for example. What I mean by that is that the KHL organizes and structures itself in a way where it accommodates itself and not the NHL. If it is unprofitable, it wont sign a transfer with the NHL. They wont blindly send their youth to the CHL. And they will not buy into pressure from anybody including the west(like other european nations who have been kissing the west's ass and have ruined their hockey programs).

Cska78, the KHL is inferior in Player Development? No, I think that the KHL has the development portion figured out, if anything developing players from childhood in one club is the ultimate way of development that caters to the team. Not like the NHL, relying on being the best league and expect all players to show up and dictate which AHL team to send them to so they can get roughed up by goons with no future. Then to throw out the players they ruined, and to take the ones that happened to succeed.

Speaking of draft, the KHL has that taken care of that as-well. Although its effectiveness is debatable, its use isn't. With the creation of the MHL and MHL B, hockey in Russia is expanding and alot more kids are being put on the map. KHL players will not exclusively be made in 24 MHL teams but from talented Russians everywhere. They need to be sorted. Long term should also be taken into consideration. Personally, I think the draft has become better and more serious each year since its inception. In the future(<--), I strongly believe that many Europeans and eventually North Americans will choose to go to the KHL before the NHL for reasons such as easier to make a roster and way more money than the AHL. All those players need to be sorted- for the equality of teams that is apparently violated in the KHL.

Fact is some teams are richer than others. Everywhere. The KHL is doing much better with the salary cap, and will soon introduce a hard cap that will be voted on by all clubs. Thats that.

As an organizational philosophical standpoint, I think it is already equal to the NHL. And I respect that.
-

I have no idea why Americans and Canadians are so concerned for the profitability of Russian owners. It bewilders me. Why do you care if Ivan from Penza is making a profit running his club? The league is profitable, the club pays the bills, and the players are happy. Quite frankly that should be enough reason for everyone to shut their mouths and accept the fact that the club does well.

As for the expansion into the west, I used to be against it. But the more I think about it, the less I care. Why not? From its inception, the leagues goal was to become pan-European and expand hockey markets. The KHL has been much more successful in doing that compared to the NHL who could not care less about the sport in general. The NHL does absolutely nothing- it tours Europe to promote itself, get Europeans to leave their home clubs and then tosses them back when they are worn out. Slovakian and Czech hockey have been the main victims of this. The KHL on the other hand wants to establish a club there, train its youth and nurture the sport- even at a loss sometimes. Imagine how good it would be for hockey to have 60 million Italians talk about hockey, and new generation professional Italian players?
I dont particularly care if they do or not, but it is not a negative to the KHL at all.

Besides, they are not wasting Russia's resources, they are wasting personal resources. I dont care where that goes. It is personal choice. If a Russian wants to invest in Italian hockey, good. Whats the problem. You cant force the man to put his personal money towards Russian hockey.
It is also a misconception to think that Russia is wasting its resources. Russia offers no tax exemptions for foreign charity and and the KHL finds the nationals of that country to support those clubs. As far as I know, LEV is not using Russian money, Budivelnyk was supposed to be funded by a Ukranian, and Medvedev will certainly get an Italian to fund the proposed Milan team. The Russian federation is not handing out checks to foreign clubs. I have no idea how people formulated this thought.

Now, consider this: the KHL has pulled of all this in the matter of 3 years.

I think we could use some optimism
Yunost,

I agree totally with your philosophy and outlook. People are already burying the KHL before it ever got started. The NHL has been in business for 80 years, and if you read what that league encountered at the outset and during the Great Depression of the '30's and '40's, the problems of the KHL seem mild by comparison. Some people seem to be saying that Russia is hopeless and impervious to change, so why bother trying?

Why bother trying to improve over the RSL by starting a new league run by incompetent Russian thieves? Let's go back to the RSL, sign a transfer agreement with the NHL that pays the Russians $250,000 for Ovechkin, who will put at least $500 million in the pockets of NHL owners, who will in turn contribute to Hockey Canada's youth development so that they can continue to embarrass Russia in international tournaments?

Why bother trying to start a new junior league that brings together a greater concentration of Russia's most talented young players, and creates a situation where they have an opportunity to get live game experience competing against other talented players who are eager to compete? Instead, let's go back to the old RSL system where youth players sit around and do nothing, and then when they go to international tournaments and look lost while losing by five 5 or 6 goals to Canada, the US, Sweden and Finland. Maybe if they are good enough, they can achieve that career with the Hershey Bears or the Maine Moose that they always dreamed of!

If the KHL and MHL fail, we will probably know it sooner rather than later. Like Yunost, I think both leagues were a great idea that showed some real optimism and even determination to upgrade Russian hockey.

Old
06-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Most likely, even if Grigorenko gets PT in the KHL this year it will be very little, so most of the time he will be playing in the MHL which is worse than CHL. If he comes to the CHL he may loose some of the Russian schooling, but will gain a high draft choice a good contract and the chance to play against most of the best players in the world. If your aspirations - to make a name in hockey - you choose the latter rout. KHL is $$$ and not much more.
I think you overrate the quality of experience playing in the CHL. Most young athletes have a tendency to play down to the competition, and the competition would be much weaker in the CHL than the KHL. The CHL has as a lot of 17-year old kids, but probably nobody even close to his talent level. He would be playing against weaker competition every night, and would only face 18- or 19-year olds that were at his level only a couple of times a year. And because he is Russian, and probably doesn't speak much English, he will do what almost all Russian players do in the NHL and CHL and AHL - sit back quietly and play a submissive role on the team, instead of leading. I'm not sure those are conditions that make his career grow.

Old
06-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Zine

Quote:
I think you overrate the quality of experience playing in the CHL. Most young athletes have a tendency to play down to the competition, and the competition would be much weaker in the CHL than the KHL. The CHL has as a lot of 17-year old kids, but probably nobody even close to his talent level. He would be playing against weaker competition every night, and would only face 18- or 19-year olds that were at his level only a couple of times a year. And because he is Russian, and probably doesn't speak much English, he will do what almost all Russian players do in the NHL and CHL and AHL - sit back quietly and play a submissive role on the team, instead of leading. I'm not sure those are conditions that make his career grow.

Also, Grigorenko will be playing in the QMJHL which is, by far, the weakest CHL league. He'd likely face stronger competition in the MHL on many nights (slightly older players).

His move to NA may be good for his NHL draft status, but its a risky and unnecessary move for development. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:44 AM
cska78

Quote:
I agree with your logic, only is CHL worse than MHL, where he will play the most, no, quite on contrary - better. Now, is he gonna play in the KHL - probably yes, some, but not much, 4-5 15 second shifts where the coach would bench him for every mistake - is that good for development - again - no.

Old
06-29-2011, 11:54 AM
wings5

Quote:
I agree with your logic, only is CHL worse than MHL, where he will play the most, no, quite on contrary - better. Now, is he gonna play in the KHL - probably yes, some, but not much, 4-5 15 second shifts where the coach would bench him for every mistake - is that good for development - again - no.
Isn't CSKA's new coach them same coach who coached their MHL team last year? If this is the case you would think he would have a good idea of Grigorenko's talent level and would be able to trust him with more icetime.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:37 PM
wings5

Also, does anyone know anything about the team Shelbourne Red Wings of the Greater Metro Junior A Hockey League? I don't know much about the league but I found it strange how it is in Ontario and almost the whole team is Russian.

http://gmhl.net/wrapper/team.php?tea...07&area=roster

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:27 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Isn't CSKA's new coach them same coach who coached their MHL team last year? If this is the case you would think he would have a good idea of Grigorenko's talent level and would be able to trust him with more icetime.
no, he (Butsayev) is "just" assist coach of CSKA. Head coach is Supler. But you are right generally

Old
06-29-2011, 01:54 PM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Also, does anyone know anything about the team Shelbourne Red Wings of the Greater Metro Junior A Hockey League? I don't know much about the league but I found it strange how it is in Ontario and almost the whole team is Russian.

http://gmhl.net/wrapper/team.php?tea...07&area=roster
look under the Canadian junior teams we had a discussion about this league. commercial league, players have to pay annual fee (upwards 25,000 a year). Usually players not talented enough to crack any AAA and A junior leagues.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
I don't disagree that CHL is better than MHL at this point in time. He has the right to do what he wants. I just don't believe going to the CHL is the best move. Canada has an excellent and well-developed feeder program to the CHL, but in the end, they have to staff 60 teams. Just like the NHL, there are too many teams, so the talent level is diluted. With 60 teams, most players will be hard-working and motivated, but only average talents. Also, he will no choice but to play NHL style hockey, which emphasized dumping the puck in and forechecking. That is not Grigorenko's game, but it is the NHL game. We'll see.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Revo

Quote:
I don't disagree that CHL is better than MHL at this point in time. He has the right to do what he wants. I just don't believe going to the CHL is the best move. Canada has an excellent and well-developed feeder program to the CHL, but in the end, they have to staff 60 teams. Just like the NHL, there are too many teams, so the talent level is diluted. With 60 teams, most players will be hard-working and motivated, but only average talents. Also, he will no choice but to play NHL style hockey, which emphasized dumping the puck in and forechecking. That is not Grigorenko's game, but it is the NHL game. We'll see.
He'll no doubt have to adapt to some extent, but Patrick Roy's system is made to let skilled players express their talent, it's not the boring grinding style that's slowly taking over.

Revo is offline   Reply With Quote