HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Germany

Leon Draisaitl

Old
06-29-2011, 05:32 AM
Tronador

vCash: 500
Leon Draisaitl

Any comments on his really awesome statistics?

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=71913

What do you expect, are there any chances, that he can progress similarly to Tobias Rieder and Tom Künhackl?

Tronador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Maverick41

I came across his amazing stats a few months ago, and have been wondering the same thing ever since. He was obviuosly playing on a powerhouse team since his teammate, and presumably linemate Dominik Kahun put up equally impressive numbers.

Without having seen them play, I will not pretend to know how good they might be, but I'm really looking forward to see how they progress.
With Draisaitl I'm quite optimistic given his pedigree. His father was no Erich Kühnhackl, but he was a very good player.

Maybe there are some people here who know a little more about Leon and can share some of it.

Maverick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:50 AM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronador View Post
Any comments on his really awesome statistics?

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=71913

What do you expect, are there any chances, that he can progress similarly to Tobias Rieder and Tom Künhackl?
Those stats are absolutely ludacris!

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Those stats are absolutely ludacris!
They are, but the competition is not really high level.

Frederik Tiffels, for example, who ist only 5 months older that Draisaitl played in the DNL against much tougher competition and did pretty well.
It is really difficult to tell whose numbers were more impressive, but like I said, it will be interesting to see how a guy like Draisaitl develops.

Old
06-29-2011, 01:57 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41 View Post
They are, but the competition is not really high level.
why is it not a high level? it's the highest level for his age group, playing hockey hotbeds such as bad tölz, landshut etc.
and the stats from the championship round are against the best 5 other teams in the whole country (berlin, tölz, landshut, düsseldorf and krefeld).

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 04:01 AM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
why is it not a high level? it's the highest level for his age group, playing hockey hotbeds such as bad tölz, landshut etc.
and the stats from the championship round are against the best 5 other teams in the whole country (berlin, tölz, landshut, düsseldorf and krefeld).
I just mean, that some players like (Tiffels and Rieder) play oder played in the DNL at this age. And I am pretty sure the competition level is higher in the DNL than in the Schüler Bundesliga. Although due to his late birthday it my comparison could be off, since he was only 14 at the start of the 10/11 season.
It was also meant in comparison to other junior leagues. I just don't think the level of competition in German juniors is as high as it is in some other countries. Therefore I just don't think his numbers should be overvalued. They are great numbers from both Draisaitl and Kahun but it is not unheard of that players put up insane numbers at this level.

I hope that clarifies what I meant.

Old
06-30-2011, 04:40 AM
zecke26

Quote:
I hope that clarifies what I meant.
ah ok, i see.

but i honestly can only remember rieder to put up similar numbers:

2007-2008 EV Landshut U16 Schüler-BL 34 113 64 177 59

he was at the age of draisaitl at that time. if you look at kühnhack:

2006-2007 EV Landshut U16 Schüler-BL 27 38 41 79 38

of course you can't compare those stuff much since the strengths of the teams are not even close. mannheim is the U16 powerhouse, winning basically every year, landshut is usually just a good team. but the numbers of kahun and draisaitl are unheard of in those dimensions. 100-130 points can happen, but around 200 is on another level.

the next step to the DNL will be interesting though. kahun is really small, draisaitl is hopefully grown to 6'0 or so. kühnhackl and rieder were able to dominate in their first full DNL season, i doubt kahun and draisaitl will. both have the curse of a deep mannheim team in the DNL. that could hurt.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:38 AM
Maverick41

Quote:
ah ok, i see.

but i honestly can only remember rieder to put up similar numbers:

2007-2008 EV Landshut U16 Schüler-BL 34 113 64 177 59

he was at the age of draisaitl at that time. if you look at kühnhack:

2006-2007 EV Landshut U16 Schüler-BL 27 38 41 79 38

of course you can't compare those stuff much since the strengths of the teams are not even close. mannheim is the U16 powerhouse, winning basically every year, landshut is usually just a good team. but the numbers of kahun and draisaitl are unheard of in those dimensions. 100-130 points can happen, but around 200 is on another level.

the next step to the DNL will be interesting though. kahun is really small, draisaitl is hopefully grown to 6'0 or so. kühnhackl and rieder were able to dominate in their first full DNL season, i doubt kahun and draisaitl will. both have the curse of a deep mannheim team in the DNL. that could hurt.
Thanks for the numbers of Kühnhackl, I only could find his numbers from 07/08 in the DNL, and also for putting things in perspective. Rieder was indeed the only one who got close to the ridiculous numbers of Kahun and Draisaitl. I has thought at first, that Rieder was a year younger when he put up 177 pts, but I got that mixed up.

Interesting to see that Kahun and Draisaitl were followed by 5 players from Frankfurt. Gradl with 135 pts as a D and Arnold racking up 83 pts at his age also very impressive.

I also agree wholeheartedly with your last paragraph. Mannheims roster is kind of scary but I think it is both a blessing and a curse. It will be more difficult for them to put up huge numbers, when you have to share the ice time with guys like Kurth and Tiffels, to name just two. But playing on a good team and practicing regularly with many good players could still be a good thing.
Kahun's size is definitely a concern at this point, although he still has some time to grow. Maybe he gets a growth spurt and makes it to 5'11 or so, which would be nice. Draisaitl is about the same height as I was at his age, maybe an inch smaller. Now I'm 6'4.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:59 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Interesting to see that Kahun and Draisaitl were followed by 5 players from Frankfurt. Gradl with 135 pts as a D and Arnold racking up 83 pts at his age also very impressive.
don't mix that. frankfurt played in another league basically. the schüler bundesliga is tricky.

the south had two groups (A and B) with 6 teams each. they play home and away against each opponent in their group. that's 10 games.
then the first 3 of each group build the "meisterschaftsrunde" while the bottom 3 of each build the "abstiegsrunde". both rounds are 20 games.
so the season for a player in the south has 30 games, but the level of competition can be different. the best 3 teams from the "meisterschaftsrunde" go to the "endrunde" to play for the championship.

the north is different. there's a group A and B, but they don't mix with each other. group A is the upper group. they play 30 games and the first 3 make it to the "endrunde" to play against the south for the title.
the last placed team in A get relegated to play B next season.
group B plays 28 games (only group with 8 teams) and the winner gets promoted to A for next season.
so A and B in north are two leagues, who share the name schüler-bundesliga, but consists of different levels.
frankfurt was the the best team in north B and got promoted without losing a single game, but they had much worse competition than mannheim for example.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league...p?leagueid=349

there you can see the groups and i hope my explanation was good enough.

Quote:
I also agree wholeheartedly with your last paragraph. Mannheims roster is kind of scary but I think it is both a blessing and a curse. It will be more difficult for them to put up huge numbers, when you have to share the ice time with guys like Kurth and Tiffels, to name just two. But playing on a good team and practicing regularly with many good players could still be a good thing.
usually the jungadler were able to develop players even though they had good depth. it's a well-run organization, so i expect them to get kahun and draisaitl on track.
it won't be easy though.

Quote:
Kahun's size is definitely a concern at this point, although he still has some time to grow. Maybe he gets a growth spurt and makes it to 5'11 or so, which would be nice. Draisaitl is about the same height as I was at his age, maybe an inch smaller. Now I'm 6'4.
5'10 or 5'11 at that each is not bad. even a 5'7 guy could end up at 6'0.
i was 6'1 at that age and i am 6'2 now. so growth is really nothing you can plan. we'll see what happens, but at least draisaitl won't have the size issue.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:51 AM
Maverick41

Quote:
don't mix that. frankfurt played in another league basically. the schüler bundesliga is tricky.

the south had two groups (A and B) with 6 teams each. they play home and away against each opponent in their group. that's 10 games.
then the first 3 of each group build the "meisterschaftsrunde" while the bottom 3 of each build the "abstiegsrunde". both rounds are 20 games.
so the season for a player in the south has 30 games, but the level of competition can be different. the best 3 teams from the "meisterschaftsrunde" go to the "endrunde" to play for the championship.

the north is different. there's a group A and B, but they don't mix with each other. group A is the upper group. they play 30 games and the first 3 make it to the "endrunde" to play against the south for the title.
the last placed team in A get relegated to play B next season.
group B plays 28 games (only group with 8 teams) and the winner gets promoted to A for next season.
so A and B in north are two leagues, who share the name schüler-bundesliga, but consists of different levels.
frankfurt was the the best team in north B and got promoted without losing a single game, but they had much worse competition than mannheim for example.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league...p?leagueid=349

there you can see the groups and i hope my explanation was good enough.
Yes thank you, the explanation was good enough. I knew that there were different groups, I just nevere considered Frankfurt and Mannheim playing in different groups, since the two cities are not exactly that far away from each other. I nevere bothered to check which group they were playing in. I guess when it comes to hockey Frankfurt is pretty far up north, especially at junior level.

EDIT: Since we were talking about size before. This Kid kind of freaks me out.

Last edited by Maverick41: 06-30-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old
06-30-2011, 09:17 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Yes thank you, the explanation was good enough. I knew that there were different groups, I just nevere considered Frankfurt and Mannheim playing in different groups, since the two cities are not exactly that far away from each other. I nevere bothered to check which group they were playing in. I guess when it comes to hockey Frankfurt is pretty far up north, especially at junior level.
when it comes to junior hockey frankfurt is never anything close to the top.
i hope that will change now. the re-start with a closer connection to the young lions will hopefully lead to a better youth program. even though most of the good players from rhein-main region go to mannheim, a good program in frankfurt would help hockey a lot. nauheim is simply not big enough to support that.

Quote:
EDIT: Since we were talking about size before. This Kid kind of freaks me out.
i plan to watch most of his games this season, so i hopefully can give you a scouting report later this year. i have no idea if he can play, but his size is indeed special.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:40 AM
Maverick41

Quote:
when it comes to junior hockey frankfurt is never anything close to the top.
i hope that will change now. the re-start with a closer connection to the young lions will hopefully lead to a better youth program. even though most of the good players from rhein-main region go to mannheim, a good program in frankfurt would help hockey a lot. nauheim is simply not big enough to support that.

i plan to watch most of his games this season, so i hopefully can give you a scouting report later this year. i have no idea if he can play, but his size is indeed special.
So true, I live near Frankfurt, and I know there is still some interest in the Lions, but the roots are just not that deep. I really hope they take the chance to rebuild with a solid foundation in youth hockey.

It would be great if you could provide some insight on the kid, and any other that might stand out.

Old
04-18-2012, 12:54 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Now has 2g 5a in 4games, far and away the best player on his team at 16yo. Is he staying in Germany? I don't see any European team drafted him.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 01:55 AM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Now has 2g 5a in 4games, far and away the best player on his team at 16yo. Is he staying in Germany? I don't see any European team drafted him.
There has been no official word, but I think he might stay one more year in Germany and then move over to North America. But this is just me guessing. I have no source for this.

Old
04-18-2012, 02:09 AM
EHCler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
He plays for the youth team of the Mannheim Adler. I really hope he makes the jump to the CHL. He has not much to proove in DNL anymore and I do not think makes sense for him to play against men yet.

Lets not forget kid is Draft eligabale 2014.

EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 05:04 PM
defensehockey19

Any word on if this kid is coming over to the CHL? Heard some OHL teams are interested.

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 05:20 PM
sturmthis
@Zen_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Any word on if this kid is coming over to the CHL? Heard some OHL teams are interested.
Found an article from the U17 tournament back in December (Dec 2011). Draisaitl had this to say,

Quote:
In fact, Draisaitl admits he may have outgrown his country in terms of hockey challenges at his age. He has seen the success other German prospects such as former Windsor Spitfire Thomas Kuhnhackl, Kitchener's Tobby Rieder and Portland's Marcel Noebels have had in coming to North America to pursue their dreams.

“Yes (I want to play in the NHL),” Draisaitl said. “That's my goal.

“It's a dream to come here to play. Maybe I have to go to Canada after this year.”
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...tar-ca-5915867

sturmthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 06:09 PM
defensehockey19

Interesting! Thanks for the response! Really hope to see this kid wear Maroon and White and suit up for the Petes.

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Maverick41

Draisaitl was selected 2nd overall by the Prince Albert Raiders in the CHL Import Draft.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:09 AM
TheHoff

Draisaitl posted 2 goals and 4 assists in 4 preseason games with the Prince Albert Raiders. I'm pretty interested in how this guy will do next season! Can anyone give me some infos about how he's doing in NA so far?

TheHoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Jaeger03

Had a pretty good game against Canada today.

Jaeger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 08:53 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

He looks good on both ends of the ice too.

dingbathero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Anymore news on this kid ? Those stats back home were unreal. How is he doing ? Where is he projected to be drafted ?

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:39 PM
GermanNuck

@Richie
I heard that he's doing great in the WHL, 9 goals, 19 Assists in 33 games so far.
And he looked great in Germanys WJC Games althought his team is pretty weak. He's projected to be an 2014 first-rounder, some say even top 5 is possible, but it's still too early to tell.

GermanNuck is offline   Reply With Quote