HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kasparaitis-the leader of the Rangers

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2005, 06:22 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Kasparaitis can also teach them the dangers of allowing the money to go to their heads.Kasparaitis sought out help for a drinking problem 11 years ago.It's interesting that Rick Kozak spent the summer working out at the Rangers facility instead of hanging out at home after he had the bar incident at Kamloops last summer

Old
09-04-2005, 06:31 PM
ftyutin51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Kasparaitis can also teach them the dangers of allowing the money to go to their heads.Kasparaitis sought out help for a drinking problem 11 years ago.It's interesting that Rick Kozak spent the summer working out at the Rangers facility instead of hanging out at home after he had the bar incident at Kamloops last summer
What bar incident? I didn't know Kaspar had a drinking problem..

Old
09-04-2005, 06:37 PM
eco's bones

[QUOTE=Janerixon]I see kasper being paired with tyutin, both being russian and giving kasper the chance to mentor a young defenseman similar to his mold, just tyutin has more offensive upside

i see the defense as this
malik-poti
kasper-tyutin
rullier-kondratiev

sc: purinton

Pretty much agree with this except I see Purinton moving up to forward and Rullier, kondratiev and Lampman rotating as 5-6-7 D.

Old
09-04-2005, 06:50 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftyutin51
What bar incident? I didn't know Kaspar had a drinking problem..
Rick Kozak and one his junior teammates(I can't remember his name)at Kamloops got into the bar fight with some other patrons before last season.Kamloops shipped off the teammate after the fight and Kozak was shipped off a few months later

Kasparaitis did have a drinking problem but he has been clean for a long time

Old
09-04-2005, 07:44 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
I see kasper being paired with tyutin, both being russian and giving kasper the chance to mentor a young defenseman similar to his mold, just tyutin has more offensive upside

i see the defense as this
malik-poti
kasper-tyutin
rullier-kondratiev

sc: purinton

Pretty much agree with this except I see Purinton moving up to forward and Rullier, kondratiev and Lampman rotating as 5-6-7 D.
Umm........I'm pretty sure Kaspar is Lithuanian.

Secondly why are we playing Rullier? These guy will just get into fights and have lose a defenseman for 5 minutes. Just another Dale Purinton.

--**We JUST SIGNED MICHAL ROZSIVAL!!!!! A guy who is much better than both Purinton and Rullier. In fact they shouldnt start a game this year! Rozsival is a good defenseman.

Old
09-04-2005, 08:09 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner
Okay, I am now convinced then.
Alrighty, then.

Old
09-04-2005, 09:15 PM
Draft Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch
Yea but he plays for Russia internationally and can speak Russian to Tyutin and Kondratiev. Definitely a plus.

Old
09-04-2005, 09:31 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Great article. One of my favorite players just got more popular in my head.

Hopefully this is mentioned during the season by JD and such (it probably will be).

Old
09-05-2005, 01:14 AM
Janerixon

Quote:

Secondly why are we playing Rullier? These guy will just get into fights and have lose a defenseman for 5 minutes. Just another Dale Purinton.

--**We JUST SIGNED MICHAL ROZSIVAL!!!!! A guy who is much better than both Purinton and Rullier. In fact they shouldnt start a game this year! Rozsival is a good defenseman.
draftGuru already answered your question that kasper plays for team russia in international games and speaks russian, so thats why id like him paired with tyutin plus kasper could be a good mentor for tyutin

as for rullier, kings fans love him, hes suppossed to be fairly mobile, i have no problem playing a d-man who fights, dont u remember jay wells or jeff beukeboom? Maybe you dont, but one of them would fight once per game usually, having an intimidating d-man and having a d-man who will fight are two very different things and opposing players may be a little weary of of taking a cheap shot on a goalie or they just may know they are going to get punished with a hit or in a fight

if rullier can indeed play defense and skate then he may make the team, as for rozsival its still not offical, obviously if we signed him id play him over rullier, but whos to say poti wont be dealt?

Old
09-05-2005, 08:04 AM
Fletch

Wells wasn't a good fighter...

I remember Mick Vukota breaking his nose while James Patrick was trying to fight-off Mick with Jay. Liked Jay a lot - wasn't too mobile, but a hard-working, 6th defenseman.

As for Kings fans lovig him...did they even get a chance to know him? I guess they saw a lot of Manchester games since he's never played an NHL regular season game in his life...and he's going to be 26.

Old
09-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:

Rullier really isn't just a goon. His huge pim number laster year were caused cause the ahl was loaded with tough guys last year and his team was far from tough. His numbers should be a badge of honor with him as he fought cause no one else would.
Not saying he should be a starter but he is far more then a goon.

Old
09-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I remember Mick Vukota breaking his nose while James Patrick was trying to fight-off Mick with Jay. Liked Jay a lot - wasn't too mobile, but a hard-working, 6th defenseman.

As for Kings fans lovig him...did they even get a chance to know him? I guess they saw a lot of Manchester games since he's never played an NHL regular season game in his life...and he's going to be 26.

Not trying to be a jerk but did you ever see Jay fight? Mick broke his nose when he suckered Jay with arms down in a scrum along the glass, Ask Dave Brown how tough Jay Wells was lol The guy is a top 25 of all time in Glove dropping

Old
09-05-2005, 09:42 AM
Janerixon

Quote:

Hey i never said jay wells was bob probert, but my point was that having defensemen that can and are willing to fight are pretty helpful to a team, i dont buy the theory that your enforcer should be nothing but a goon, the rangers havent had an enforcer in a while, the closest thing we had was chris simon who was a player for us but who also fought. the point of my post was that teams can have defensemen who fight and sit in the box for 5 minutes and survive through it, the rangers had 2 of them in wells and beuke and were able to overcome those situations, im not saying were gonna win the cup, but the nonsense that playing a d-man who can play defense and fight is basically garbage

as for rullier, when i went on the kings board kings fans were pretty disappointed about losing him, seemed like they felt he was going to have a chance to make the pros, are you trying to imply that kings fans dont follow their minor league teams? Everyone here is obviously a wolfpack fan since they are our minor league team, but do we refer to ourselves as wolfpack fans our ranger fans? I mean i know alot about 25 year old former pack player lawrence nycholat who played what 9 nhl career games, so i think your comment about kings fans knowing about rullier is way off base

Old
09-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Fletch

No...

but somehow I happened to see his nose get broken and remember the look on his face. I know it was a sucker punch - perhaps I shouldn't have thrown that scenario into what I thought of Wells as a fighter, but it's one of the more vivid memories I have, aside from his toothless smile, that I remember.

I do agree Jan, except for the way this team has been constructed. I normally do not see the need for an 'enforcer', i.e., a Stu Grimson; rather have guys on the team that can take care of themselves. This team does not seem to be a team with a bunch of guys who can take care of themselves and may need a little help.

Rullier may be a decent #6/7 defenseman who will step-up for his teammates - which will be great (although I've seen him play zero times and wonder why a soon-to-be 26 year old has never played in the NHL, which is why I don't pencil him in). And I'm not implying nada. It seems that losing him may be like losing Gillies. I did question how often people got a chance to see him play - could be a lot - could be little - and could be going off Internet reports. It's a question...is there an answer? When I hear comments about certain people, for me, I like it to be substantiated. That's just me - I've never seen him play - never heard of him as a matter of fact - would like to know more about him, but usually like to know from where the analyses come.

Old
09-05-2005, 10:35 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru
Yea but he plays for Russia internationally and can speak Russian to Tyutin and Kondratiev. Definitely a plus.
I know he plays for Russia and can speak Russian but still you can not call him a Russian.

Old
09-05-2005, 10:53 AM
eco's bones

Rullier wasn't going to play in the NHL last year no matter what he did. I can think of a couple hard nosed D (Sean O'Donnell, Bob Boughner) that didn't really make it until 24-25 and turned out to have productive careers. Maybe we shouldn't count him in before we see him but he shouldn't be ruled out either. The fact is though if Donald Brashear on opening night decides he's going to camp out right on top of Kevin Weekes who is going to take him on? It won't be Poti. And I don't want it to be Tyutin. Malik? Kaspar? Kaspar can be miserable to play against but he's considerably smaller.

Old
09-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Fletch

Having not seen Rullier...

I can't say him, personally. Purinton was a fighter, but wasn't the greatest crease-clearer. If he can play tough and not be a liability, then great. If he's out there to strictly goon-it-up, then I hope there are other alternatives. If Brashear parks his arse in front of Weekes and Rullier keeps going out there and getting sent to the box - that's what I'd consider to be part of a liability. And why point to Brashear? There are tons of non-fighters/lightweights who park themselves in front of the net. Each pairing needs a crease-clearer.

O'Donnell, by the way, was 23+ when making his NHL debut, not a few months shy of his 26th b-day. Boughner was older, about 24. I do get your point, however, and don't, and haven't, disputed it. Its a mark on my checklist when I haven't had a chance to see someone play - and am not making a decision either way - just asking questions to gain additional knowledge.

Old
09-05-2005, 01:41 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
I can't say him, personally. Purinton was a fighter, but wasn't the greatest crease-clearer. If he can play tough and not be a liability, then great. If he's out there to strictly goon-it-up, then I hope there are other alternatives. If Brashear parks his arse in front of Weekes and Rullier keeps going out there and getting sent to the box - that's what I'd consider to be part of a liability. And why point to Brashear? There are tons of non-fighters/lightweights who park themselves in front of the net. Each pairing needs a crease-clearer.

O'Donnell, by the way, was 23+ when making his NHL debut, not a few months shy of his 26th b-day. Boughner was older, about 24. I do get your point, however, and don't, and haven't, disputed it. Its a mark on my checklist when I haven't had a chance to see someone play - and am not making a decision either way - just asking questions to gain additional knowledge.
One reason to point to Brashear is because he's dangerous and I don't think Poti or maybe even Malik will want to touch him. But it could also be a Primeau or a Thornton. It's just a way of pointing out how little real grit we have on the backline. I seem to recall Rullier on MSG against Hartford once or twice last year---apart from that I can't tell you much about him either. As far as him battling with Brashear whatever penalties will probably be offsetting sometimes and will even out otherwise as Brashear has quite the reputation.

Old
09-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Fletch

I don't know eco's...

and I mean, I really do not know. An inexperienced defenseman trying to battle it out with an experienced forward in front of the net more often than not will get the one penalty, typically cross-checking, and the Rangers will be a man down. I agree about the softness on defense, but even when being tough, one needs to be smart. Purinton was tough, but to often not smart, and very often not physical unless it came to dropping the gloves. Right now this team has one guy to battle with those in front of the net - and I believe a team needs one on each line. But of course, that player needs to be NHL-ready and can't be out-matched no matter how tough or physical he is.

Old
09-05-2005, 04:50 PM
eco's bones

It's not so much that he's inexperienced it's that he has no NHL experience. I also looked in on the Kings forum after we signed him and the great majority of posters there were disappointed as they thought he had a legitimate shot to make their team. It remains to be seen what kind of a skater he is but Simpson who you were touting is not a great skater either but handles the front of his net well. That is Simpson's greatest strength. Apart from Kaspar there's no one that I would say that is very physical right now on our D and he is stocky but not big. Tyutin and Kondratiev in this regard are ? There is nobody back there that will drop the gloves for real. The closest D we have to that are Liffiton and Taylor. Purinton and Strudwick I've made into forwards because of skating issues and anyway I think one or the other or maybe even both won't make it.

Old
09-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

So who is going to be captain this year?

Old
09-05-2005, 11:20 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Probably Kasp IMO. If the rangers are really serious about the rebuild they should have the guy who spends all his time helping the kids out, they will really look up to him.

Closed Thread