HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks to sign Leino, Laich or Gagne?

Old
06-29-2011, 04:22 AM
David71

vCash: 500
when was the last time a free agent crop was as bad as this year's ?

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:29 AM
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
when was the last time a free agent crop was as bad as this year's ?
Never! it is so horrible!

Imagine being a fan of a team who views free agency as its ''draft'' or ''second draft'' that would sure suck. It's Richards or bust for many teams and the rest is usually bargain basement crap a few weeks into free agency but this year in high demand at huge prices!

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:31 AM
GCM
Stork

Leino.

Gagne is an injury risk, something we have too much of and Laich has been re-signed now.

Leino is also a very good playmaker and that's his strength as a player and I think that meshes well with Kesler's shot.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:01 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
No interest in Leino at all, especially not at $4M. Would be nice if we could sign a pair of Pens. Give me Max Talbot for $2M and Tyler Kennedy for $2.75M.

06-29-2011, 01:08 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
No interest in Leino at all, especially not at $4M. Would be nice if we could sign a pair of Pens. Give me Max Talbot for $2M and Tyler Kennedy for $2.75M.
Kennedy I could see as a good fit on that 3rd line LW... but where does Talbot fit... a natural centre, with Malhotra and Lapierre locked into the 3rd and 4th line positions?

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:19 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
Kennedy I could see as a good fit on that 3rd line LW... but where does Talbot fit... a natural centre, with Malhotra and Lapierre locked into the 3rd and 4th line positions?
Talbot could move to the wing, and be a useful guy to go in on the draws whenever Manny is waived out (on the 3rd line).

I'd have Kennedy on the 2nd line. I think his style would gel very well with Kesler. He scored 21 goals last season and perhaps could take another step forward in his development. He's only 25.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

Quote:
Talbot could move to the wing, and be a useful guy to go in on the draws whenever Manny is waived out (on the 3rd line).

I'd have Kennedy on the 2nd line. I think his style would gel very well with Kesler. He scored 21 goals last season and perhaps could take another step forward in his development. He's only 25.
No to Kennedy. I think what Kesler needs is some size on his wing -- someone who can take some of the physical burden off Kesler.

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:40 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkph View Post
No to Kennedy. I think what Kesler needs is some size on his wing -- someone who can take some of the physical burden off Kesler.
Kennedy doesn't have the size, but he does have the feistyness. He plays a similar tenacious style of game as Kesler and I think the two would really mesh well.

Old
06-29-2011, 07:43 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

^I would rather have Higgins back instead of Kennedy

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:13 AM
Trolt

higgins in the PO's was amazing at winning board battles up into the end of the sanjose series. Too bad he could not convert, as that's expected of the 2nd line

Trolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:16 AM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolt View Post
higgins in the PO's was amazing at winning board battles up into the end of the sanjose series. Too bad he could not convert, as that's expected of the 2nd line
Higgins was terrific until he broke his foot vs Nashville. Relentless forchecker.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:16 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

I wonder if this is the year that more European players get brought over to North America. Surely there are some worthwhile KHL and SEL UFAs that can be brought over.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:21 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Higgins was terrific until he broke his foot vs Nashville. Relentless forchecker.
He wants to go back East.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:23 AM
eldiablo17

If they go into the season with the defense as is, which seems more and more likely, I would love for them to go after Leino. High skill guy who can help the 2nd unit PP and has been money in the playoffs.

eldiablo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:31 AM
Sedinery2011

Leino PLZ Gillis..the guy is a beast in the playoffs..thats the type of guy we need. I just hope we can get him for a reaosnable price.

Sedinery2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:33 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedinery2011 View Post
Leino PLZ Gillis..the guy is a beast in the playoffs..thats the type of guy we need. I just hope we can get him for a reaosnable price.
Just what we need, another soft winger

Leino is just as beastly in the playoffs as Fernando Pisani. He had 1 great playoffs, but didn't do anything this year. He'll be grossly overpaid at $4M. PASS

Old
06-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Canucker

Quote:
I say LeiNO! Unless he takes less than the $4m he's reported to want.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:53 AM
Kagee*

Quote:
Leino is just as beastly in the playoffs as Fernando Pisani. He had 1 great playoffs, but didn't do anything this year. He'll be grossly overpaid at $4M. PASS
I'd cut him some slack, as last season was his first full season in the NHL, he was stuck behind a deep team in Detroit, got moved to Philly & in his first NHL playoffs he has a stellar one for the rookie ages, his next season, his first full 81 games he scores 53 points.

In 11 games in the 10/11 playoffs has 5 points, with 3 goals, more than Raymond scored in 24 games, our 2nd line LW who is soft as butter and tends to shoot right at the goalie most of the time.

Leino is really strong on the skates, and is uber hard to knock off the puck, Philly fans are in love with this guy for a reason.

Quote:
Yeah he'd be the best option right now, he's a late bloomer and would look great playing with Kesler, and who knows how much better he can get, as this will be his 2nd full NHL season.

Plus he's clutch!

Quote:
On May 10, 2008, Leino signed a one-year contract with the Detroit Red Wings. Due to the Wings salary cap issues, Leino was then assigned to affiliate the Grand Rapids Griffins of the AHL. Red Wings coach Mike Babcock commented that Leino was the "best player" he had ever sent to the minors. Ville was eventually recalled from the Griffins on January 29, 2009.

In the first period of his NHL debut on January 31, 2009, Leino scored a goal against goaltender José Théodore in a 4-2 loss to the Washington Capitals. Leino is one of the few players that have scored a goal in their first NHL appearance.

Leino signed a one-way, two-year extension with the Red Wings on July 6, 2009.

On February 6, 2010, Ville Leino was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for Norwegian defenceman Ole-Kristian Tollefsen and a 5th-round pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. Leino had two goals and two assists in fourteen games with the Flyers in the regular season.

Leino started the 2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs in the press box, but injuries to Simon Gagné and Jeff Carter called Leino into action. Forming the most potent line in the Stanley Cup Playoffs with Daniel Brière and Scott Hartnell, Leino recorded seven goals and fourteen assists for 21 points in 19 games. This tied the rookie record for most points in the Stanley Cup Playoffs held by Dino Ciccarelli.

On March 12, 2011, Leino recorded his first career hat-trick against the Atlanta Thrashers.

On April 24, 2011, during the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs against Buffalo, Leino scored the game winning goal in overtime of game 6 of the series to bring Philadelphia even with Buffalo, 3 games to 3.
How much do you think MG should offer this guy? I'd be almost inclined to give him a Franzen like contract. at a lower cap hit of course.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote