HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hamrlik has refused 1 yr offer. (post #363)

Old
06-29-2011, 12:03 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Notice, I didn't say "size issue" i said, "grit issue".

And I have trouble understanding how anyone can say the Habs don't have a 'grit issue'. It's there, and it's pretty glaring. I'm not really concerned with the Habs adding a top 6 player, I think what the Habs have now is fine...but their bottom 6 needs a complete overhaul.

Also, I never said that dealing with Hamrlik prevents him from addressing, i'm not an idiot. But, I think the Habs could be a little more pro-active in addressing this need by perhaps acquring the rights to a guy like Rupp or Konopka, etc.

They've already got Gill/Spacek under contract...Gorges will be re-signed any day now, is Roman Hamrlik really a need right now?
Is he the exact answer - no. But look the Habs D. If one of Markov or Subban goes down? I'd be a bit more comfy with a d-man similar to Hamrlik. He tried to do whatever the organization asked of him and did it pretty well.

Two years for him at say 2.5 would not be a stretch IMHO for what he brings / brought. If Wiz walks, Hamrlik walks and Gauthier signs another D at 2.5 who brings less than what Hamrlik brought I'll not be happy. Right now this D is scary if the injury bug hits.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:06 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
You trust Wiz to hold down your defence? Ouch. That's like having Mike Green holding down your defence.
I did not say he is perfect. I said I am confident that he will perform as expected. I cannot say that about any other D we have signed right now. Read more carefully please.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Wow, how does it feel being right for a change?

How it feels... you will never know

PS.: I was right about many debated things like, Habs wanting another D to complete the top 4 when everyone said the D was set, I was right about the cap going up every year, and not going down when the 2008 financial crisis occured, I was right about teams taking overpaid players to reach the cap floor, I was right about Subban being ready for top unit for this season, I was right about Subban being ready for top 4 last year before the playoffs, I was right about Pac and Weber bouncing back when a lot of people gave up on them, same for Plex after his 39 points season, I was right about Plex signing before July 1st, was right about Markov for the same thing twice, I was right about Markov turning our record around when he came back last year, I was right about Halak hitting a bump in St-Louis, I was right about not being worried about Price at the beginning of the 10-11 season, I was right about Lapierre being on his last run with the Habs if he didn't start producing more and kept being inconsistent. Being wrong is a natural learning process to get closer to the truth. Everyone's wrong, and everyone's right, from time to time, the difference is what you learn from the times you were wrong.

To pretend you are any different is the real joke here.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 06-29-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:09 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Good. Very ****ing good. If I don't do my homework, I get my ass fired.

Someone gets it. A GM has to prepare for the worst BEFORE season. The season is like climbing Everest. Once you start, there's no time. There's no chance to adjust, better hope you prepared for the worst before the climb, or you're dead.

If we suffer again in January because of not preparing in summer, I will be well pissed. And so should we all be.

I give PG this summer. If he does not perform and prepare for the inevitable injuries and slumps this coming season, I will not support him next year. This is PG's time. I'm watching.
We have no cover for our top-6, bottom-6, and defense.

Top-6

Andrei - Can be a top-6 forward one night, and not look NHL caliber the next. Potential for a 60 point season or a 30 point season.

Gomez - Potential for a 30 point season, or a 55 point season.

Patches - Potential for a 30 point season, or a 60 point season.

Half our top-6 could either put in 60 point seasons or flop. Who do we have to replace them if they falter? Desharnais and a banged up Eller? And that's without even taking into account potential injuries to any of our top-6 players.

Bottom-6

We have a couple of spots completely vacant. And again, if someone goes down to injury, sucks, or gets called into top-6 duty we have nothing to call up from Hamilton. Palushaj? Engqvist?

Defense

We've been through this. Just refer to last season, minus Hamrlik. But ohhhh, we have Raphael Diaz.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

They beefin.

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Almost guaranteed that a major piece on D (Markov, Gill, Subban, Gorges) goes down with a LTI in the first 20 games.

The new NHL is big and fast and nasty... lots of injuries out there...

Keep Hamrlik.

He will be needed.

Last edited by Born in 1909: 06-29-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:23 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Almost guaranteed that a major piece on D (Markov, Gill, Subban, Georges) goes down with a LTI in the first 20 games.

The new NHL is big and fast and nasty... lots of injuries out there...

Keep Hamrlik.

He will be needed.
Who is Georges

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
How it feels... you will never know

Dude, calm down, I was kidding...

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xposbrad View Post
That's going to cause some problems. Weber is already weak enough on D. Paired with Spacek that's a line that is going to give up a bunch of goals..
Or you could look at how well that pairing did last season and find that it was comfortably beating the 3rd and 4th liners it was assigned against.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:28 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

not suprised, im sure a few teams will offer him 2-3y deals

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Ozymandias was right about a lot of things.

Too bad 485720857245704257297 other posters were right about the same thing.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Who is Georges
Apologies. Fixed.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RE-HABS

Either Hamrlik thinks he is owed a 2 year by the Habs, or he and his agent think he can get a 2 year and bigger money out there as UFA's on D like Bieksa and Pitkanen are gone already, along with a potential Ehroff.

Glad he rejected it, maybe PG really didn't want to sign him?

Maybe PG wanted to show a thanks for your help, but if you want to be a Hab here is a one year contract for a guy who is going to be 6-7 guy interchanging with Spacek and Weber.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I'm just gonna go allNate and say that I want us to sign a goat as our backup next year.

3 year deal worth 10 M.
The goat already signed in Philly for 9 years.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Actually they played very well together this season.
Hamrlik and Weber was even better. (second best +/- per 60 mins of icetime after... Spacek - Wisniewski)

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:41 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Thanks for all your hard work Roman, but its time for us to move on.

I would not have minded if he stayed for 1 more year at the most but I am kind of glad he rejected. I think it is time for Weber to make the jump and for us to finally see if he can become a regular in this league.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:46 PM
FrankMTL

I have a feeling that Hamrlik is looking for a 2 year deal worth 7 or 8 million...That would be his "discount" for Montreal. He would be overpayed at that salary considering his age.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Is he the exact answer - no. But look the Habs D. If one of Markov or Subban goes down? I'd be a bit more comfy with a d-man similar to Hamrlik. He tried to do whatever the organization asked of him and did it pretty well.

Two years for him at say 2.5 would not be a stretch IMHO for what he brings / brought. If Wiz walks, Hamrlik walks and Gauthier signs another D at 2.5 who brings less than what Hamrlik brought I'll not be happy. Right now this D is scary if the injury bug hits.
I don't know...it's good to have depth on defence, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Like I said

Markov, Subban, Gill, Spacek, Yemelin are all under contract right now, with Gorges, Weber soon to follow and Diaz & Carle as depth in the AHL. I understand why bringing back Hamrlik could be enticing in case injuries happen (as they no doubt will) but at where do you draw the line? They signed Yemelin this summer finally, are they going to give him a real shot, or just spot him into the lineup here and there...what about Weber? Is he going to get an extended look?

Habs have alot of depth on defence...obviously, if something happens to Markov or Subban, they're in trouble, but not many teams can adequately replace their top 2 dmen either.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:59 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

I like Hammer, super pro, and always stepped his game up when Markov was injured

But at the same time, it's time to move on

Thanks for your services, Hammer

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:00 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Just reading on the Avs board and they were happy when Hamrlik turned us down, I can see them easily offering him 2 years.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:02 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Just reading on the Avs board and they were happy when Hamrlik turned us down, I can see them easily offering him 2 years.
To play goalie?

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:03 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
To play goalie?
lol they are talking about offering Vokoun $7m x 2 years

Old
06-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
To play goalie?
To shore up a brutally bad defense.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Pleky Roks

Its too bad that Hamrlik turned down the Habs offer because he'd be a huge help for the rookies and would be one of the best performing, bottom pairing defencemen in the league, but the team made an offer and Hamrlik turned it down....not much you can do about that!!

I enjoyed watching Hamrlik during his time in Montreal....he was a rock on our blueline, he consistantly scored close to, or more than 30 pts a year and stepped up big time the last 2 seasons when Markov went down to injury. Hamrlik never got the credit he deserved because some people couldn't look past his big contract and focused on his few mistakes instead of recognizing how solid he really was!!

Hamrlik will be missed in Montreal, but there is no doubt he'll be signed by some other team and make the money he deserves!!

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:08 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
To shore up a brutally bad defense.
Keeping in mind Ryan O'byrne was their #3 dman in terms of TOI per game last year.