UFAs / Roster Changes / Trades / Qualifying Offers 2011? Part III

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2011, 03:59 AM
Corey Perry*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishFury View Post
What exactly does a qualifying offer mean? Do the players given offer sheets have to sign?
It's when a team offers one of their RFA's a contract. The player can either sign that contract, or sign an offer sheet from another team, if another team offers him one. The team can either match the offer sheet, and retain the player, or not match it, and the player is then property of the new team. The old team then gets compensation for the loss of the player in draft picks, and how many and what kind of draft picks depends on how much the player signed for.

If the team doesn't offer the player a QO, the player is then a UFA.

I'm about 95% sure that's correct.

EDIT: And players who are offered an offer sheet do not have to sign it.

Last edited by Corey Perry*: 06-29-2011 at 04:05 AM.
Old
06-29-2011, 04:05 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfold View Post
I pretty much agree with this. I'd rather pay Talbot than Drury.
I agree with this to a certain extent. If the plan is to mold Mcmillan to be a center then I 100% agree, but Drury is significantly better in the FO dot than Talbot. Drury won almost 57% of the FO's he took last season compared to Talbot's 48.5%. The point of a 3rd line center IMO is to have him be good in the FO's and on the PK. Both are very good on the PK and willing to sacrifice the body, but if you aren't going to win a faceoff in a crucial situation well then you lose a lot of value as a 3rd line center.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:09 AM
FinnishFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Perry View Post
It's when a team offers one of their RFA's a contract. The player can either sign that contract, or sign an offer sheet from another team, if another team offers him one. The team can either match the offer sheet, and retain the player, or not match it, and the player is then property of the new team. The old team then gets compensation for the loss of the player in draft picks, and how many and what kind of draft picks depends on how much the player signed for.

If the team doesn't offer the player a QO, the player is then a UFA.

I'm about 95% sure that's correct.

EDIT: And players who are offered an offer sheet do not have to sign it.
Thanks. That's how the Ducks lost Penner right? Edmonton made an offer sheet that the ducks couldn't match.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:11 AM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
Thanks. That's how the Ducks lost Penner right? Edmonton made an offer sheet that the ducks couldn't match.
Yes.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:20 AM
FinnishFury

So say Dan Sexton doesn't sign his offer sheet for whatever reason. What would happen to him? Would he just not be allowed to sign with other NHL teams, and for how long?

Old
06-29-2011, 04:26 AM
alx83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
Now I may be a little drunk, but a healthy Chris Drury scores 30 points and has "intangibles". I'm saying in the FA 3rd line center market, he is our 3rd best option IMO of course. I would rather him and $1.5-2M for one or MAYBE 2 years, than our third line being composed of BMac and scrubs...

Yeah, you must be.

He'd be the last option. His degenerative knee condition has likely ended his career. We'd be better off with Handzus than him. Like many have speculated, it seems like he'll retire because he just can't contribute like he used to. I was a big Drury fan, but all the Rangers fans have made it known exactly what he's been reduced to at this point.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:30 AM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
So say Dan Sexton doesn't sign his offer sheet for whatever reason. What would happen to him? Would he just not be allowed to sign with other NHL teams, and for how long?
He has untill December 1st to sign a contract with the team that holds the rights to him (us), and if he doesn't sign by then, he sits out the rest of the season and he cannot play in the NHL untill the next season. He can play in Europe or in the AHL though...

Old
06-29-2011, 04:32 AM
FinnishFury

Awesome thanks! That helps alot.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:39 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Burke wouldnt match because the contract to Penner was absurd. Not sure if it was after they made a QO to him or not though and I'm on my phone so I'm too lazy to look it up.

Old
06-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
Burke wouldnt match because the contract to Penner was absurd. Not sure if it was after they made a QO to him or not though and I'm on my phone so I'm too lazy to look it up.
You answered the question yourself when you said "Burke wouldn't match..." That's how we were able to get first rounders from the Oil.

Looking online late last night and discovered Penner is an UFA. I wouldn't mind getting Penner back. Re-unite Penner with Getz-Pears. Bobby goes to the second line to add more scoring umph. Plus, Penner would be great in front of the net on PP's.

Old
06-29-2011, 10:17 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
You answered the question yourself when you said "Burke wouldn't match..." That's how we were able to get first rounders from the Oil.

Looking online late last night and discovered Penner is an UFA. I wouldn't mind getting Penner back. Re-unite Penner with Getz-Pears. Bobby goes to the second line to add more scoring umph. Plus, Penner would be great in front of the net on PP's.
Penner is the guy I want to target in 2012, would give us some great depth, and as you said, able to put Bobby on the second line.

Old
06-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Mooseduck

Looks like Splashville may have accidentally released some of their fish back into the ocean. oops -> Spaling, O'Reilly, Halischuk, Kostitsyn are mentioned.

Old
06-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Not only is the market for centers slim, but expensive. Damn Laich 4.5, Kopecky at 3, and Talbot asking for 2? Maybe Murray should ante up for Weiss after all.

Old
06-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Elvs

With all the recent signings we've seen, I expect Goc to get around $2.4 mil and Upshall around $3 mil... I'm guessing we'll see the Ducks making a $2-3 mil signing and then another cheaper signing for slightly over $1 mil.

Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Visnovsky, Lydman and Hiller are all bargains now.

Old
06-29-2011, 11:27 AM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

vCash: 150
The cap should not have gone up that much.
Is Penner a Ufa this offseason or next

Old
06-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
The contracts given out have likely lessoned the liklihood of Weiss being traded because of his value to his own team money-to-production wise and the cost it would take other teams to get him.

Old
06-29-2011, 11:39 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 50
Sadly Blake's cap hit isn't looking so bad right now. Lupul too.

Too bad we're bound by $.

Old
06-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

I'm with Karacter, I'd like to see Drury given a chance here. He can still put up 25-30pts and provide everything else you'd like from a 3rd line center, provided he's healthy. At worst, he takes Marchant's spot on the 4th line. Hell, he's already being paid an assload by the Rangers, he'd probably come extremely cheap.

Old
06-29-2011, 12:04 PM
wesott11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseduck View Post
Looks like Splashville may have accidentally released some of their fish back into the ocean. oops -> Spaling, O'Reilly, Halischuk, Kostitsyn are mentioned.
Wow that's a huge mistake. I heard nashville isn't worried about it because the league originally stated they were tendered a QO. I guess time will tell.

And to the people interested in drury, wouldn't you prefer someone who is a little more stable? Someone who can be depended on to play most of the season?

Old
06-29-2011, 12:04 PM
The Mighty Duck
#9 all the way...

I can't image that Drury could play with Parros. But as a 3rd-liner, I think he could be very solid, when we roll three scoring lines.

Old
06-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Would love someone more stable than Drury, but the FA center class is extremely thin and if Bob sits on his hands, we may be stuck with another makeshift third line. Goc, Belanger, Handzus and to a lesser extent Reasoner, and Fiddler would be better than Drury IMO but they are the cream of the crop in UFA centers really...and every team always feels like they can add a 3rd or 4th line center so the market should be wide open and expensive for them.

Old
06-29-2011, 12:29 PM
davidy2d
Heater Clap Bombs

If we can't get "the" guy Bob is looking for, then I hope he either goes through a trade for a center or picks up a free agent winger to round out the third line and just give mcmillan the role. Better to get a solid winger over a gamble centerman in that scenario I would think.

Old
06-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Hawktopus

These borderline crazy contracts for FAs makes me be fairly scared for how the next CBA is going to be handled next season.

How many teams are even able to spend the cap?

The Canes signed LaRose at 2 years for $3.4 million. Hopefully Jokinen doesn't follow suit, I'm on the boat that would love to see him in a Ducks uniform.

Old
06-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidy2d View Post
If we can't get "the" guy Bob is looking for, then I hope he either goes through a trade for a center or picks up a free agent winger to round out the third line and just give mcmillan the role. Better to get a solid winger over a gamble centerman in that scenario I would think.
If the Ducks can sign Jokinen or Leino to fill the top 6 imagine a third line of Blake-Mcmillan-Upshall. Talk about speeeeeed, even though that line would probably never work in real life on NHL 12 it would be fast.

Not sure of the status of Erik Cole, but I would love his speed and tenacity in the top 6, but he would cost much more than any of the aforementioned names, plus he doesn't really address the problem of a weak bottom 6.

Old
06-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuck View Post
The cap should not have gone up that much.
Is Penner a Ufa this offseason or next
Penner is an UFA next year.

This year he is LA's top left wing. Sorta puts a reality check on the whole LA IS THE BESTEST TEAM IN THE PACIFIC

Closed Thread