HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs interested in Hemsky.

Old
06-29-2011, 01:20 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Hemsky is one of the most talented players in the league, and he is not soft at all. Just because he has a European name, does not make him soft. He does have injury concerns...But either way, the guy puts up PPG numbers on a terrible team.
He can also create offense out of seemingly unthreatening plays, and can generate points Even Strength, which is a weakness of ours.

I would be ecstatic if we could get him.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Bullsmith

The issue is what Hemsky would cost. We have a slot for him, but we don't have excess assets to part with. The last few years have seen the organizational depth get pretty decimated. On the plus side, we seem to have cap space and money to use it. On the down side, there's clearly a league-wide shortage of talent. Too many teams.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:23 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 250
Eh, his injury history has be a bit worried, but I wouldn't mind having a player like Hemsky on the team. He's not a soft Euro.

The asking price for Hemsky would probably be quite a bit though.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
He can also create offense out of seemingly unthreatening plays, and can generate points Even Strength, which is a weakness of ours.

I would be ecstatic if we could get him.
I agree but don't get your hopes up. Oilers will wait until trade deadline

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:27 PM
MarkovsKnee

I wouldn't be surprised if he is traded. Hemsky is a UFA after this season and there is NO WAY Oilers are signing him at his current salary of $4.1m. That was a steal for them as it is. His new contract will make him a $5.5m to $6m player easy. With the Oilers young, offensive depth, they could easily pass on re-signing him. If they don't trade him this summer, I expect them to trade him before the deadline.

Oilers might as well see what they can get for him.

Knowing the Oilers, they probably want another 1st rd. pick. I'd prefer to keep our 1st rd 2012.

I know there are a lot of Columbus fans who want him badly.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CammerScores View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he is traded. Hemsky is a UFA after this season and there is NO WAY Oilers are signing him at his current salary of $4.1m. That was a steal for them as it is. His new contract will make him a $5.5m to $6m player easy. With the Oilers young, offensive depth, they could easily pass on re-signing him. If they don't trade him this summer, I expect them to trade him before the deadline.

Oilers might as well see what they can get for him.

Knowing the Oilers, they probably want another 1st rd. pick. I'd prefer to keep our 1st rd 2012.

I know there are a lot of Columbus fans who want him badly.
The Oilers will try to make the PO this year so I think they will wait and see

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:30 PM
ScopeHockey

I got traded for Hemsky in 2000. I wonder who won that trade .

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Miller Time

To Edm
Gomez
Gorges
3rd 2012

To Montreal
Hemsky
Plante

Hate to give up gorges, but you gotta give to get & give to get-rid-of...

Hemsky adds some much needed offensive punch and plante should b able to compete for bottom pairing spot by next year, if not sooner, while adding size/toughness to the depth chart.

With markov/subban, gill/hamrlik?/spacek, emelin/weber/Diaz, we have decent d depth, and Gomez off the books makes it easier to either lock up Wiz, and/or overpay for a guy like Hannan or jovo to make up for losing Gorges.

Oilers desperately need a guy like gorges on the back end, and adding Gonez affords them more patience on bringing up rnh... Not too mention adding experience to a very green top 9 group.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gustave

Yeah, let's complain about acquiring legit top 3 talent. We have too much as we speak right?

He's more than welcome.

Add grit/toughness to the bottom lines and leave the top 6 to talent, whatever size it may come with.

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:34 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Hemsky had major troubles staying healthy. I think we had our share of injury problems recently

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:34 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
Yeah, I agree. They seem to actually want to be competitive this season. They should keep him. If they are completely out of it by the mid-point of the season then they'll offer him around. If they are fighting for a play-off spot then I expect it to go down to the wire. It might be a Smyth situation where they trade him on the day.

The only way he does not get traded is if they are in a play-off spot, or are less than 10 pts. from a play-off spot at the deadline, or actually want to sign him.

We'll see. I can't see them trading him now.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:35 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
To Edm
Gomez
Gorges
3rd 2012

To Montreal
Hemsky
Plante

Hemsky adds some much needed offensive punch and plante should b able to compete for bottom pairing spot by next year, if not sooner, while adding size/toughness to the depth chart.

With markov/subban, gill/hamrlik?/spacek, emelin/weber/Diaz, we have decent d depth, and Gomez off the books makes it easier to either lock up Wiz, and/or overpay for a guy like Hannan or jovo to make up for losing Gorges.

Oilers desperately need a guy like gorges on the back end, and adding Gonez affords them more patience on bringing up rnh... Not too mention adding experience to a very green top 9 group.
I doubt Habs would get anything close to fair value for Gorges without him playing at least a hand ful of games. No team would gamble like that

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:39 PM
tinyzombies

Hemsky is not soft. Put that to rest now. And I cannot stand soft players. He is an elite playmaker in the right scenario and a magician with the puck. Not sure we are the right scenario, but there you go. He's gonna be expensive...

Would be a sweet combo with a guy like Patches that drives the net.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:39 PM
RE-HABS

Hemsky is almost a Point-Per-Game player when healthy. Oilers probably want to deal him as he is a UFA next year. Would they take Gomez (no joke, and would Gomez go there)?

Gomez would be a vet centre to play with Smyth and kids, plus allow the Oilers to get to Cap floor with lower actual paid salary in the 2 final years.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
If they can get a pair of quality defensemen it's possible and if that's what they're shooting for Hemsky shouldn't be available. Mind you, the last time Tambellini & Co. tried to make the playoffs they ended up with Taylor Hall so Hemsky could be available at the deadline..

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:42 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
To Edm
Gomez
Gorges
3rd 2012

To Montreal
Hemsky
Plante

Why not do the Oilers a favour and take Souray of their hands?

That way you don't give up Gorges.

Put Souray on waivers, he clears then send to Hamilton. Then have him on recallable waivers and maybe a team picks him up, we are on the books for half the money. The salary owed to Hemsky and Souray equal that to what Gomez makes this season.

Old
06-29-2011, 01:43 PM
billy piton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Don't know what's the asking price, but I'm not sure how much they can realistically ask for a pending UFA.
they got pretty much for penner (1st, former 1st, and cond 2nd). i wouldn't pay as much for hemmer.

billy piton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:43 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice 31 View Post
Eh, his injury history has be a bit worried, but I wouldn't mind having a player like Hemsky on the team. He's not a soft Euro.

The asking price for Hemsky would probably be quite a bit though.
they need a center and they need good defensmen. would you do gomez + gorges for hemsky? would they?

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
they need a center and they need good defensmen. would you do gomez + gorges for hemsky? would they?
Edmonton seems focused on building a forward corps of 23-and-under for whatever reason. I doubt they would be interested in Gomez.

They are crying out for quality NHL defensemen though.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:45 PM
LyricalLyricist

Hemsky is a beast. A legit borderline franchise like player. Forget top 6, he's a legit top line forward. He'd go very well with Cammalleri and Plekanec.

Hemsky-Plekanec-Cammalleri
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Kostitsyn-Eller-Desharnais

As top 9.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy piton View Post
they got pretty much for penner (1st, former 1st, and cond 2nd). i wouldn't pay as much for hemmer.
He's played quite a few more games.

At the same time, they're in a bad spot for Hemsky. Either they trade him now with his history, or wait for the deadline to show he can play until then, but if he gets hurt, they can't deal him.

As I said, I'm not sure what would be the asking price.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Zorba

it was said at the draft Hemsky is going to sign a long term deal. He is actually going to be part of their rookie camp as a coach. He wants to stay in Edmonton, so no idea where this bogus rumour came from.

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Markovskaya

It's certainly not with players like Hemsky that we're going to win that 25th cup.

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:52 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
it was said at the draft Hemsky is going to sign a long term deal. He is actually going to be part of their rookie camp as a coach. He wants to stay in Edmonton, so no idea where this bogus rumour came from.
They were trying to trade him to the Kings at the deadline, but LA wouldn't part with the requested Schenn.

Old
06-29-2011, 01:53 PM
FF de Mars

Hemsky has injury concerns. The Oilers are gambling if they retain him until the deadline. He might go down and then they couldn't trade him for a 1st. Maybe they want to go the safe way and get what they can while they can.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote