HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Sign Nodl and Sestito

Old
06-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aghockey86 View Post
^^ would that mean they've been bought out?
No... I believe just Phantoms. I just don't understand how they would be off roster after being recalled. CBA rules are complex ones though.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:57 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Good catch, Rick... Entry level contract was indeed a two-way, and included signing and playing bonuses, with the Cap hit being $850K http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=756

Bottom line though is while the cash output may be greater with no AHL reduction, the Cap hit is still favorable for the Flyers by a little amount... Still a good sign (no pun intended) IMO.
All Entry Level Contracts are two way contracts.

Quote:
Just now noticed that Leighton is now listed with the Non-Roster Players along with Walker on CapGeek.com ... Thought with their being recalled up for the Posseason they were on the Roster until they were able to be waived down during/after Camp... This is a recent development there, and I must say the added Cap space looks mighty sweet.
One thing to keep in mind about Capgeek this time of year. Capgeek does not keep the Off Season Cap totals. They are giving you a guestimate of what the roster could look like for next Season and it's resulting Cap situation. Leighton, come July 1, is indeed on the Flyers Cap. Recalling him for the post season has nothing to do with it. All players signed to One way deals count against the Cap in the Off Season. And all players signed to two way deals are on the Cap in proportion to the number of days they spent on an NHL roster the prior Season. As two examples of that are the Flyers have to carry $142,257 of Cap space during the Summer for the time that Wellwood, Holmstrom, Gustafsson, and Syvret spent on the FLyers roster last Season. And they have to carry 962,258 of Cap space for Braydon Schenn based on the number of days he spent on LA's NHL roster.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
One thing to keep in mind about Capgeek this time of year. Capgeek does not keep the Off Season Cap totals. They are giving you a guestimate of what the roster could look like for next Season and it's resulting Cap situation. Leighton, come July 1, is indeed on the Flyers Cap. Recalling him for the post season has nothing to do with it. All players signed to One way deals count against the Cap in the Off Season. And all players signed to two way deals are on the Cap in proportion to the number of days they spent on an NHL roster the prior Season. As two examples of that are the Flyers have to carry $142,257 of Cap space during the Summer for the time that Wellwood, Holmstrom, Gustafsson, and Syvret spent on the FLyers roster last Season. And they have to carry 962,258 of Cap space for Braydon Schenn based on the number of days he spent on LA's NHL roster.
Much thanks... The sudden change of how they account for them through me off. I know that they re very quick with the contract changes and often beat all other sources... I assumed they were holding to CBA rules. So what I think you are telling me in this case is CapGeek is guesstimating the moves to try and represent how the Flyers will be handling the roster with theirs eyes on the Cap and next season's upcoming roster.

In any event, with Leighton and Walker not on the roster it looks better in regards to future possible moves... They have Lappy on the roster, as they should be, but putting him on LTIR (in our minds) also makes a serious dent on the Cap numbers in the Flyers favor.

Old
06-28-2011, 09:24 PM
DenverBoone

Has Sestito ever played in a NHL game?

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:26 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Has Sestito ever played in a NHL game?
He has played 13 NHL games

Old
06-28-2011, 09:58 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Ok so I am now completely confused about QOs.

How is Sestito making less than last year? His NHL salary was less than or equal to $660,000, thus it is supposed to increased by 10 percent for the purposes of his qualifying offer.

Tom Sestito
SEASON: 2010-11
AHL SALARY: $62,500
NHL SALARY: $577,500
P. BONUSES: $0
S. BONUS: $0
CAP HIT: $577,500

Since there are no bonuses, then no numbers need to be changed for the calculation of his NHL salary. Thus his QO should have been 1.10x$577,500 = $632,500

What is worse is I looked at other similar players, and they also have the same outcome. Do QOs work differently if you don't play X games in the NHL?

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:36 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post

How is Sestito making less than last year? His NHL salary was less than or equal to $660,000, thus it is supposed to increased by 10 percent for the purposes of his qualifying offer.

Tom Sestito

Since there are no bonuses, then no numbers need to be changed for the calculation of his NHL salary. Thus his QO should have been 1.10x$577,500 = $632,500

What is worse is I looked at other similar players, and they also have the same outcome. Do QOs work differently if you don't play X games in the NHL?
There are rules that hinge on what the the salary ranges are... I don't have them off hand but his range may come into play here.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:45 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:

Tom Sestito

Players do not have to accept QO's. The flyers have signed him to a contract less than his QO.

Last edited by Spongolium*: 06-29-2011 at 05:37 AM.
Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:26 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:

Tom Sestito

Way easier ... he just agreed to sign for less.

I don't know about his intentions, possibly the pay raise he got at the AHL level ($60K to $90K, +50%) or he thinks his chances to make the NHL are better the less he earns ... who knows.

Last edited by Rick Deckard: 06-29-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:50 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Players do not have to accept QO's. The flyers have signed him to a contract less than his QO.
Ohh. I thought a QO was the minimum they could offer.

Old
06-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Ohh. I thought a QO was the minimum they could offer.
Some players accept less than their QO if it increases their chances to get on the big team.

For example, said rookie contract was 900K, team might not want him at almost a million if he isn't worth it. So he signs for 500K to play on the fourth line

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:58 AM
EasyMac

Quote:
Some players accept less than their QO if it increases their chances to get on the big team.

For example, said rookie contract was 900K, team might not want him at almost a million if he isn't worth it. So he signs for 500K to play on the fourth line
I wouldn't be surprised if this is the reasoning for taken a lesser salary. He takes the league minimum, increases his chance of being kept on the big club, and makes 550K for the year. Or he goes for a larger salary, signs for 850K, becomes a bit less desirable to keep up (has to be head and shoulders above a player like Wellwood who has a small cap hit), gets sent to the minors and, despite having an 850K salary, spends the year only making 90K (or whatever his AHL salary would be).

It does make some financial sense from a players perspective when they can't get a one-way day.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:20 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:

pretty much. his agent probably gave him that advice

"well, you see, my other client, Wade Redden....."

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:26 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Just to make sure. If Sestito rejected the offer and the Flyers didn't offer something that meets a QO, then he could have hit UFA?

Old
06-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Just to make sure. If Sestito rejected the offer and the Flyers didn't offer something that meets a QO, then he could have hit UFA?
If they just offered the deal he signed? Yes, he would become an UFA.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

From what I now understand... Nodl, rather than sign the one year QO at a 10% increase, opted to take a two year one that was $5K less on average than his last Entry Level one which included bonuses... so that he would have the security of another contract year in the NHL.

Old
06-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 687
There is no summer cap, players aren't paid during the summer. Teams can actually go over the cap by 10% in the off-season but must then be cap compliant by a set date, typically October 1st (unless there's European games earlier).

Being on a 2-way deal Sestito is probably gambling that he'll get to spend more time on the NHL roster getting paid $550k rather than his AHL salary of $90,000. If he'd signed at something closer to $600-650k he drops further down the call up list.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:38 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
There is no summer cap, players aren't paid during the summer. Teams can actually go over the cap by 10% in the off-season but must then be cap compliant by a set date, typically October 1st (unless there's European games earlier).

Being on a 2-way deal Sestito is probably gambling that he'll get to spend more time on the NHL roster getting paid $550k rather than his AHL salary of $90,000. If he'd signed at something closer to $600-650k he drops further down the call up list.
There is absolutely a Summer Cap. Teams are limited to the Upper Limit plus the 10% exemption you mentioned.

Old
06-29-2011, 01:03 PM
EasyMac

Quote:
From what I now understand... Nodl, rather than sign the one year QO at a 10% increase, opted to take a two year one that was $5K less on average than his last Entry Level one which included bonuses... so that he would have the security of another contract year in the NHL.
Technically I think Nodl did receive a contract that was over his QO, his actually salary was lower then the 850K cap hit he had last season (another prior post had more info about this). His actually salary was around 700K, and I believe that this is what the QO is based off of, not his salary plus bonuses (ie when Schenn's contract is up, his QO won't be over 3 million, but will rather be based on his base salary)

Old
06-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

Not to throw this way off topic.

That's pretty much what I said, but bad choice of words on my part. What I meant was that cap dollars are not being accrued during the offseason. The dollar count doesn't begin to add up until the season starts. So we aren't wasting cap space by having guys like Leighton, Walker, etc on the active roster right now. From my understanding, there is no cap accrual from the first day after the regular season ends until the first day of the new season begins.
Once July 1st hits, the player's full year salary is taken into account for that 110% threshold that cannot be exceeded.

Overall, Nodl and Sestito, by agreeing to lower salaries than expected, have made it more likely that they'll make the team and therefore more likely that they'll make more money in the season ahead.

Old
06-29-2011, 01:10 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMac View Post
Technically I think Nodl did receive a contract that was over his QO, his actually salary was lower then the 850K cap hit he had last season (another prior post had more info about this). His actually salary was around 700K, and I believe that this is what the QO is based off of, not his salary plus bonuses (ie when Schenn's contract is up, his QO won't be over 3 million, but will rather be based on his base salary)
That's right, Nodl's base salary was only 600k last year, so a QO of 660k. And the Kings negotiated a great contract with Schenn that actually has his base salary go down in year 3, but the bonuses go up. 900k, 900k, 810k which means his QO will be only 891k when his entry level deal expires. Not that I think/hope that number will even be a starting point when the time comes.

Old
06-29-2011, 01:47 PM
EasyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
And the Kings negotiated a great contract with Schenn that actually has his base salary go down in year 3, but the bonuses go up. 900k, 900k, 810k which means his QO will be only 891k when his entry level deal expires. Not that I think/hope that number will even be a starting point when the time comes.
Hopefully he will be playing at a level that he will be demanding a contract for more then his QO, otherwise ouch for the trade.

I personally loved JVR's bonuses. Sure he may have been 2nd overall, but the Flyers didn't give him anywhere near the potential bonus package most top picks get. Even Turris, who was picked next, had about 1 million more in bonuses in his contract. That means a lot for this upcoming season with no bonus cushion.

Old
06-30-2011, 03:13 AM
GoldBlooded
Doop

Love to see my favorite player getting a new contract. Looking forward to the rest of the offseason.

GoldBlooded is offline   Reply With Quote