HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jagr's Agent Contacts Rangers (Signs with Philly | 1 yr @ $3.3MM)

Old
06-21-2011, 10:17 PM
rangerjoe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
i'd hate to see him go to pittsburgh. guy won two cups and he gets boo'd off the ice since he left. now many of those same fans want him back? guess it's the same ones who disappeared for most of the last decade then came back when they started winning.
Exactly...***** fans for Sh!tsburgh...

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 04:55 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
i'd hate to see him go to pittsburgh. guy won two cups and he gets boo'd off the ice since he left. now many of those same fans want him back? guess it's the same ones who disappeared for most of the last decade then came back when they started winning.
please. the guy left on horrible terms and proceeded to play for 2 teams pens fans despise. i'm pretty sure brian leetch in a pens sweater would (following a trade demand) would cause a few boos at msg. for most pens fans, one nasty breakup doesn't erase 11 years, 2 cups, & 5 scoring titles. coming back to the team where he spent his prime and made a name for himself would be a good way to end a HOF nhl career.

Sour Shoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 06:38 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Can't really argue about anything you said.

Brooks/Gross/Staple

Spector

Zippy

Carpinello
Gross is terrible. Nice guy who has zero sources. How can someone who has covered the Rangers for 2 papers have no Rangers or NHL sources?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:59 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...pZ816X0MpM16qO

Quote:
I don't want to put this the wrong way, but teams that want me and think I can help them have been calling me, and the Rangers never called, so I don't think they would want me," Jagr told The Post by phone last night from his home in the Czech Republic.
Quote:
I don't want to be a guy who says, 'Do you need me; do you want me?' It's not like I'm looking for a job," No. 68 said. "Teams know I'm serious about coming back. If Glen thought I could help, he would have told me.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:02 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Just to add another quote...

Quote:
He laughed loudly when asked if he believes he could adjust to playing maybe nine minutes a night for, say, the Red Wings.

"Nine minutes? Do you think I'm that bad that I would play only nine minutes?" Jagr asked rhetorically.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:45 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Ranking the beat writers...I think it would make for an interesting thread in itself... It's not like they read this site or anything to see what is being discussed

Jagr doesn't strike me as a guy that is going to play for a paycut to win. I mean...I am sure he wants to go to the team he will have the best chance to win with, but I just don't see him taking less money than any of the other teams are offering him.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:49 AM
bubba5

Jagr will go to the team that offer the highest cash. Plain and Simple!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:08 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Jagr will go to the team that offer the highest cash. Plain and Simple!
Then he wouldn't come back to NHL. KHL is the golden cow for Jagr.
I think he wants to be relevant. Thus, he would never go to an obscure team, even though that team might be good. Wanting that is not necessarily an upfront agreement to get lesser pay. But he is not just for money. He wants Sather to admit he was wrong by offering him a comeback to NY. But it is not, IMO, the main consideration for him. Sather will not contact him first. That is why Slats may be using his outreach extention AKA Larry to establish some initial contact.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:27 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Then he wouldn't come back to NHL. KHL is the golden cow for Jagr.
I think he wants to be relevant. Thus, he would never go to an obscure team, even though that team might be good. Wanting that is not necessarily an upfront agreement to get lesser pay. But he is not just for money. He wants Sather to admit he was wrong by offering him a comeback to NY. But it is not, IMO, the main consideration for him. Sather will not contact him first. That is why Slats may be using his outreach extention AKA Larry to establish some initial contact.
It's a bit far fetched, but would be interesting if this did establish contact b/w the two camps.

I've heard and totally understand the idea that Torts/Jagr wouldn't be a great mix, but would Babcock/Jagr be one either? Isn't Babcock known as a tough taskmaster as well?

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:43 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
It's a bit far fetched, but would be interesting if this did establish contact b/w the two camps.

I've heard and totally understand the idea that Torts/Jagr wouldn't be a great mix, but would Babcock/Jagr be one either? Isn't Babcock known as a tough taskmaster as well?
Babcock is a better coach. Detroit is a better organization. Red Wings is a better team. The rest (exposure, publicity, fanbase attention, media coverage) that is required for true stardom is the same. Rangers advantage is availability of the cap space. Plus, with Drury departure and Richards signing elsewhere the Rangers could be easily Jagr's team again, while Detroit is packed with veteran leadership. To lesser extent Euro tour in October and Winter Classic in Jan may represent an interest for him too.
In any case things may turn out to be serious. The limited role proposal of 3 min per period is not Larry's. It has Rangers written all over.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Kostik

Seems like clash of the egos, Sather's vs Jagr's.
Rangers did cut the ties logn time ago, Rangers are not in need of RW.
Jagr will sign elsewhere, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Montreal, in that order imo.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Please sign with the wings. 2nd favorite team, would definitely buy a player shirt.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:37 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
Seems like clash of the egos, Sather's vs Jagr's.
Rangers did cut the ties logn time ago, Rangers are not in need of RW.
Jagr will sign elsewhere, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Montreal, in that order imo.
Sather clashed with everyone. Hence the results. Gomez, Redden, Drury. Nice.
At 9 min per game it looks they are stipulating 4RW position. We have a perennial opening there. On PP Jagr can play any side. It is defense where he is particular.
I agree JJ will sign elsewhere.

Old
06-29-2011, 01:24 PM
McIlrathsWrath

Jagr considering $2 M offer?

I would love jags back at that price. Imagine a jags-Richards-gabs line. Jagrs ability to dangle alone would open up Space for gabs

... I wanted to put this under speculation and share a link but I can't figure out how on my iPhone...

McIlrathsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:30 PM
rangers1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEANbrAVERY View Post
I would love jags back at that price. Imagine a jags-Richards-gabs line. Jagrs ability to dangle alone would open up Space for gabs

... I wanted to put this under speculation and share a link but I can't figure out how on my iPhone...
I'd rather give 1yr/2mil to Jagr than to Vinny...but its not happening.

rangers1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:34 PM
McIlrathsWrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1314 View Post
Exactly, he would be more of an asset. But like you said... It's not happening. He's gonna go back to the place that boo'd the sight of him since he left.

Old
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1314 View Post
Yup. No question about it.

****ing Pittsburgh.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

vCash: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEANbrAVERY View Post

Isn't Jagr a RW? At this point in his career I don't think he'll do too much dangling but his shot is probably still superb.

Last edited by bettercallstaal: 06-29-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: I can't spell
bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:44 PM
McIlrathsWrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post
Isn't Jagr a RW? At this point in his career I don't think he'll do too much dangling but his shot is probably still superb.
Yes he is. I did a little NHL '11 line shuffling there

Old
06-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Pens easily became the favorites for the cup with Jagr.

Jagr, Malkin, Crosby on offense? Can you imagine Letang and those three on a PP? I **** myself just thinking of that.

People here who think Jagr is washed up are going to be in for a nice surprise when the season starts. Then they will be saying, hmm maybe we should have tried to bring him back..

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:53 PM
rangers1314

I have no doubt that he can still be a 20-25 goal scorer. He will MORE than justify his salary, which is apparently going to be 2mil.

rangers1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:59 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

If Jagr does choose Pittsburgh it's going to be really hard for me to hate the Penguins like I should.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 02:11 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
Pens easily became the favorites for the cup with Jagr.

Jagr, Malkin, Crosby on offense? Can you imagine Letang and those three on a PP? I **** myself just thinking of that.

People here who think Jagr is washed up are going to be in for a nice surprise when the season starts. Then they will be saying, hmm maybe we should have tried to bring him back..
The season starts and Jagr is hot.

As the season winds down and the physical wear and tear takes it's toll on his old arse, he will fade.

Favorites after adding a 39 year old player that hasn't played in the NHL for 3 years?

I'm not buying it.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Definitely want Jagr on the team, especially if Brad Richards is signed.

Dubinsky - Richards - Gabby
Wolski - Stepan - Jagr
Zuccarello - Anisimov - Callahan
Hagelin - Boyle - Prust

That's a hell of a lineup there. Pretty much everyone can get 10+ goals and the top-9 can also hit 20 goals.

The Rangers were 29 goals behind the NHL leader (Vancouver) in Goals For last year. If Brad Richards can get Gabby back to 40 goals, and Brad and Jagr can each score half a dozen goals more than whoever they would be replacing, that's an extra 30 goals production.

With Brad Richards and Jagr added to the team (as well as Erixon and hopefully a competent QB in MDZ), the Rangers could be the dark horse contender.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
The season starts and Jagr is hot.

As the season winds down and the physical wear and tear takes it's toll on his old arse, he will fade.

Favorites after adding a 39 year old player that hasn't played in the NHL for 3 years?

I'm not buying it.

Except Jagr won't be playing first line minutes. He would be on the second line (Wolski-Stepan-Jagr)... a second line that will play no more than the third line (Zuccarello-Anisimov-Callahan). Plus the fourth line of Hagelin-Boyle-Prust will get significant minutes.

First line: 20 minutes
Second line: 15 minutes
Third line: 15 minutes
Fourth line: 10 minutes

I definitely think Jagr can last into the end of the season if he plays only 15 minutes a game. Let's keep in mind that this time around he won't be playing in the All Star game, as he always has in the NHL and the KHL. That will be an extra break for him.

Worst case, we sit Jagr every now and then in March and move Callahan back to the top-6. Still not bad if Jagr gets only $2 a year.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote