HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards' agent: "Tell Darcy to be aggressive"

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390

It sure sounds like the Sabres are in the hunt.

Quote:
"With our offices in Mississauga, we know Buffalo hockey well. It's a real good community to live in with passionate hockey fans and a team that is on the rise. Excellent goaltending, an emerging defense and lots of forward that are skilled and lots of forwards that provide some grit and tenacity. If they call, we'll certainly receive them with open arms and listen."

Old
06-29-2011, 03:16 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

vCash: 500
Still trying to wrap my head around Buffalo being a destination for hockey players. It feels weird just to even consider it.

Kinda like it.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:24 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

It's going to take a pitch from management, but I maintain some hope. Still surreal to think it's possible at all.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:25 PM
chadthestampede
The Humanoid Typhoon

http://jawandapuck.blogspot.com/2011...ly-1-2010.html

Old
06-29-2011, 03:26 PM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 213
Of course he wants Darcy to be aggressive...he would want every GM to be aggressive and run up the bidding on his player...

Old
06-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagining Defeat View Post
Of course he wants Darcy to be aggressive...he would want every GM to be aggressive and run up the bidding on his player...
This. I hope Richards has sincere interest and not just using us to increase his other offers.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
It's going to take a pitch from management, but I maintain some hope. Still surreal to think it's possible at all.
I take comfort in the fact that I know they'll make a very good effort to obtain Richards. If, at the end of the day, they aren't the team he chooses, that's fine because Richards earned the right to choose where he plays.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:29 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

I realize it's probably still unlikely but I would love to see Richards come here if for no other reason than that it would solidify the changing of the culture in Buffalo. The rest of the league would have to look at it in different light when they think about coming here because they will remember Brad Richards and Robyn Regehr saying yes.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Clock

I'm happy to be running in the race even if we don't win it.

7.5 cap hit for eight years aggressive enough?

Old
06-29-2011, 03:34 PM
LGB24

Great to know we are in the hunt. Richards stated the most important thing to him was steady ownership that wants to win. If he is true to his word Im sure Pegula will get talking to him and raise his interest about Buffalo

Old
06-29-2011, 03:35 PM
blitzschmitz

I dont think Richards will be a Sabres come Friday but with saying that you never know.I think to have a shot we need to A-match what a team is willing to pay that he would consider playing for B-Get Terry and his wife to talk to him and his wife if he has one it seems to work lol C-Pray

Old
06-29-2011, 03:35 PM
LGB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post

I was thinking the same. I would love this deal, however I've heard several times he wants a 10 year offer. What really is aggressive?

Old
06-29-2011, 03:42 PM
slip

Another reason why trading for Regehr was so huge: it shows to Richards that Buffalo means business and isn't content with empty talk about building a better team.

Make it happen Darcy.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
From the WGR interview, it was clear some of the things he said were of the generic nature to encourage all comers to bid as if their bid has a chance. However, there's no doubt he said enough honest things to indicate that he holds Buffalo good regard. He very strongly indicated he thinks highly of Buffalo's front office and coaching staff, which could be huge. He also indicated he thinks very highly of Buffalo as a "hockey market" (fans, etc), and though I'm sure he'd be positive towards whatever fanbase the interviewer represented, in this case it is clear he meant it.

How strongly he views Buffalo's roster in terms of 'could they contend with Richards immediately' is in question but he does obviously hold it with regard as an up-and-coming unit.

All in all the interview confirmed that a. he sees what anyone should be able to see about the positive aspects of the Buffalo Sabres at the moment and b. there will be a whole lot for Brad to consider when the offers start pouring in.

It's good that we at least know he isn't in the dark regarding Buffalo.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:45 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post

I think so. He is believed to be looking for an eight year 50-55mil contract. Handing him an 8yr 60mil deal couldn't hurt.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagining Defeat View Post
I think his comment is as much about showing a clear interest and aggressively laying out the case from Buffalo, rather than saying "tell Darcy to give us a huge offer".

Old
06-29-2011, 03:53 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I think his comment is as much about showing a clear interest and aggressively laying out the case from Buffalo, rather than saying "tell Darcy to give us a huge offer".
I agree with your positive spin, Rob. It's difficult not to be cynical nowadays when it comes to athletes and money, but I sense some genuine interest on the part of Richards and his entourage.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post

It sure sounds like the Sabres are in the hunt.
And that quote from Morris sounds even more encouraging, in that whatever preconceptions / fears Richards may have about the WNY region as a place to live and play in have probably already been partially dismissed by Morris - which is perfect if true. I think we all more or less believe that in terms of stable ownership, winning roster and financial capacity, the Sabres can compete with anyone else - it was the negative image of the city that we feared would be the turn-off for Richards or any other free agent.

I'm feeling even more confident now of Friday's outcome.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:59 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
I agree with your positive spin, Rob. It's difficult not to be cynical nowadays when it comes to athletes and money, but I sense some genuine interest on the part of Richards and his entourage.
And as much as anything, it's obvious that Richards will receive substantial offers from the 'good teams' and even bigger offers from the 'poor ones', so I don't think they'll need Buffalo's offer to drive up negotiations. I think it's more about determining which teams that have good situations are expressing serious interest, so they can narrow down the list before even getting into contract talks (which the man himself said).

Old
06-29-2011, 03:59 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I think so. He is believed to be looking for an eight year 50-55mil contract. Handing him an 8yr 60mil deal couldn't hurt.
Pegula realizes the fastest way to a cup runs through Brad Richards. The guy is an aggressive SOB; he's like the Warren Buffet of the hockey world, a kind of country bumpkin who, when you're not looking, puts your balls in a clamp until you scream uncle as you hand over all your worldly possessions.

An aggressive contract offer from Buffalo is well within the realm of probability and might just do the trick.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
From the WGR interview, it was clear some of the things he said were of the generic nature to encourage all comers to bid as if their bid has a chance.
I doubt Morris believes the 29 other GMs are listening to WGR - any hyping he was done was very likely for the Sabres' benefit and ears.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
And that quote from Morris sounds even more encouraging, in that whatever preconceptions / fears Richards may have about the WNY region as a place to live and play in have probably already been partially dismissed by Morris - which is perfect if true. I think we all more or less believe that in terms of stable ownership, winning roster and financial capacity, the Sabres can compete with anyone else - it was the negative image of the city that we feared would be the turn-off for Richards or any other free agent.

I'm feeling even more confident now of Friday's outcome.
agreed...those statements show to me (especially the roster assessment) theyve already sat down and taken the time to look at the Pros of going to Buffalo.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I doubt Morris believes the 29 other GMs are listening to WGR - any hyping he was done was very likely for the Sabres' benefit and ears.
That's not what I was trying to imply. I am saying some things are the kind of thing he would say to any market he was being interviewed for, very open-ended generic things. That's to be expected. Then he said things which were very obviously sincere and ultimately positive from the Sabres perspective.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:37 PM
vein

i really like the tsn video on the sabres, free agency & pegula.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:37 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
I was thinking the same. I would love this deal, however I've heard several times he wants a 10 year offer. What really is aggressive?
The way I see it, if we offer 7.5 for 8 and he counters with 7.5 for 10, we accept. There is no disadvantage compared to the deal we offered until nine years from now, by which point he will have helped us compete for the cup plenty of times.

However painful his contract, or the cost to buy it out, might be then, its worth it. Signing Richards and trading for Regehr is the loudest, strongest possible message to the world that Pegula is for real, Buffalo is for real. It would destroy the city's 'unfavorable destination rep' in one fell swoop. (well okay, two fell swoops)

Closed Thread