HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grinder of Choice?

View Poll Results: which of these would you sign @ 1.75-2.75m/yr
WARD 13 25.49%
UPSHALL 24 47.06%
D'AGOSTINI 5 9.80%
ARTUKHIN 9 17.65%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Steve Downie
id love him but bolts wont move him unless overpay. i think they would want Girardi for starters and that is too much for him..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
rather have Anthony Stewart over Ward. Stewart is younger bigger a little more expensive and has a bit more skill. rangers need another power forward like Stewart not another 4th liner PK player like Ward...
I guess I understand your concern about Ward but not too many "4th liners" lead their teams in scoring during the POs...He was the best player on the ice for nashvillewithout a doubt...Could be an offensive flash but could be that his offense is catchig up to checking/skating/defense/PK...eh, moot point, we got other fish to fry....

And, sorry, I'm with JAS on on how to score more..I think we got more then enough players that know how to crash and bang and screen, what we don't have is players that can shoot/score (outside of Gaborik---if healthy) and playmake (outside Steppan)..This team needs more skill to go along with the players like Dubi, Cally, Prust, Boyle, whoever that can go to the crease and net..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
so crashing the net doesnt help score goals lets get more finesse players who overpass the puck and play the side boards and not in front of the net...

This team scores goals crashing the net, and outworking the other team. That's not a weakness on this team...Cally, Dubi, Prust, Fedetenko, Boyle, even Stepan regularly crashed the net. It's the decided underwhelming amount of skill that kept this team on the playoff bubble all year.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
asparkoflife

Upshall

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:20 PM
drewcon40

Supersonic - interesting candidate. Last summer, the NHL network had a special on Michael Del Zotto's off season workouts. MDZ, Stamkos, and Steve Downie all worked out under Gary Roberts.

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:20 PM
azrok22

vCash: 1738
I reject your premise. I do not need to pick one of these 4!

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
This team scores goals crashing the net, and outworking the other team. That's not a weakness on this team...Cally, Dubi, Prust, Fedetenko, Boyle, even Stepan regularly crashed the net. It's the decided underwhelming amount of skill that kept this team on the playoff bubble all year.
yea i understand that but most of the guys you mentioned arent that big outside of Dubi and Boyle. rangers can use size. rangers want to win but look at the teams that went far in the playoffs, they had good goaltending which the rangers have and big guys like Lucic Bergeron and Horton who are over 6'2 200 lbs...

Old
06-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Machinehead
Because Rongos

vCash: 50
I gotta go with Ward. The Preds are my #2 and Ward is my favorite player. We don't really need him though so I'd prefer to pass and keep him in Nashville.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:29 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

I see I'm the only one that voted D'agostini, and I have to say that surprises me a bit.

He's, quite easily, the most offensively gifted of this group, and had an excellent season last year—20+ goals, 40+ points, and a solid PK presence to boot. He's also got an awesome snap shot, and could potentially play with Gaborik on the top line in a pinch, or could just play there in general—he's got slightly above average skills, so he probably wouldn't look out of place. He's probably the least experienced of this group as well—I'm not sure if we have seen the best of his game, as of yet. He could easily turn into a 25-30-55 penalty killing 2nd line winger, somewhat in the mold of an Erik Cole or a Jussi Jokinen, whom I have seen many suggest signing this summer.

06-29-2011, 04:31 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
yea i understand that but most of the guys you mentioned arent that big outside of Dubi and Boyle. rangers can use size. rangers want to win but look at the teams that went far in the playoffs, they had good goaltending which the rangers have and big guys like Lucic Bergeron and Horton who are over 6'2 200 lbs...
And, the Rangers drafting approach has been to select similar players. And, Fedetenko is big, too. The Rangers have size coming through the system. They need top notch skill.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Scottie Upshall

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
rather have Anthony Stewart over Ward. Stewart is younger bigger a little more expensive and has a bit more skill. rangers need another power forward like Stewart not another 4th liner PK player like Ward...
Anthony Stewart is not an Unrestricted Free Agent. He's Restricted. Joel Ward is Unrestricted.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:33 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
Anthony Stewart is not an Unrestricted Free Agent. He's Restricted. Joel Ward is Unrestricted.
Stewart was not given a qualifying offer—he will be an unrestricted free agent on Friday @ 12 P.M.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Of the players listed, Ward. I'd prefer Konopka to any of them as his price would be less and he excels on faceoffs which is what we really need.

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:37 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

R2 - Go watch Torts and R2 on Tampa together. Torts charged up his batteries and let him loose on the ice. Go watch the guy WC that just happened. It's a damn season full of highlight real hits in a short tournament. He's a Russian Hollweg though, you've got to keep him under control and Torts was able to, no one else was so he left back to the KHL.

R2 is big, strong, heavy, likes to hit, and skates like the wind. He's scary. He does go flying in so fast he catches player turning around and he gets caught all wound up like other players who play on the edge and that physical.

Last edited by vipernsx: 06-29-2011 at 04:43 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
R2 - Go watch Torts and R2 on Tampa together. Torts charged up his batteries and let him loose on the ice. Go watch the guy WC that just happened. It's a damn season full of highlight real hits in a short tournament. He's a Russian Hollweg though, you've got to keep him under control and Torts was able to, no one else was so he left back to the KHL.

R2 is big, strong, heavy, likes to hit, and skates like the wind. He's scary.
and has no offense skill at all.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:46 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

Quote:
Wouldn't say that.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:48 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
I'm not looking for much out of a 4th line center. Though he is good on faceoffs so he's got everything else that fits the bill.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:49 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Wouldn't say that.

Islanders can make anyone look good.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Islanders can make anyone look good.
so can the rangers....remember the Mike Rupp hat trick. good 4th liner and that is all he is.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:54 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Gotta go with Upshall on this one. Got alot of speed and plays a physical game. Not to mention he has some good offensive instincts.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:37 PM
hockeyman001

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
Jesus, 6'4 257? Is Artyukhin just a roided out version of Prust?
No. Prust has a brain and actually puts up points. Artyukhin has more puck skills but has a bad brain and runs around trying to flatten people (most of his hits could be called charging), putting himself out of position on both sides of the puck and taking dumb penalties. Then he looks tough by picking on middleweights, taking further dumb penalties.

Oh, and he's not 1/10th the penalty killer Prust is.

hockeyman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:49 PM
XLJ

Out of those four, IMO Upshall is the best player. Artukhin would provide some entertainment. The guy is a great skater and hits like a truck. He can be dirty at times too and gets under players skin.

But I really dont see the need to add another grinder. Fedotenko probably going to be resigned. You want to keep a spot open for a young kid too. We have more than enough bottom 6 forwards.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

How do you figure Artyukhin is "good for" 15-19 goals? He has 19 goals in 199 career NHL games and has never scored more than 7 in a year.

Ward, Upshall and D'Agostini are all good players. Upshall is more of an underachieving third liner than a grinder. D'Agostini put up 46 points last year, which is more than any of them have ever put up in their careers. Upshall put up 22 goals last season, which is more goals than any of them have ever scored in a season. I voted D'Agostini, but Upshall is an equally good choice. Ward's not far behind, but Artyukhin is not in the same class, really. He's out of work, has never put up the numbers you say he can, and takes horrendously stupid penalties.

Anthony Stewart is another good choice.

Edit: To answer your specific question, though, I wouldn't take ANY of them on a 2M+ contract. Wouldn't go higher than 1.5M for ANY of them. Not even sure WHAT you're thinking when you say on a 2-2.75M contract; almost 3M for a fourth line grinder? Nah, I'm okay with Prust/Boyle/Fedetenko for a combined 4M.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:09 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Brand Prust

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote