HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrew Alberts signs 2-Year, $2.45m deal ($1.225/year cap hit)

Old
06-29-2011, 04:44 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 500
Alberts Montador pairing would be very nice.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
luongo321

solid deal. he's a good player. hopefully ehrhoff will come back on july 1st and take a discount to play with a team that puts their team before money.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bleach Clean

Dollars must have made sense. This excludes Parent from the line-up IMO. They'll likely take a run at Montador, and if he signs for decent value:

Edler-Salo
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Ballard-Montador
Alberts-Rome

Basically, Montador for Ehrhoff. Hopefully, the top 6 there are the top 6 during the next year. Come to think of it, I'm not sure the entire top 6 (with Ehrhoff) played together at any point during the regular season or playoffs. Ballard was usually scratched. Salo came back after Edler went down. Then, Hamhuis and Ehrhoff got injured in the playoffs at different points. Something to think about...

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:45 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Insurance in case Tanev isn't NHL ready (I hope).

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

It's a good deal, IMO. Cap inflation probably bumped it up a bit, but it's a good signing and the two-year term gives us some stability. Similar to Rome's signing last year.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:46 PM
keslerburrows

I guess thats a good signing.

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:46 PM
skg

That's five LHD on the roster: Hamhuis, Edler, Ballard, Rome and AA. I hope to god they're not thinking of trying Ballard on the right side again. That didn't work out well last year.

skg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:47 PM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Dollars must have made sense. This excludes Parent from the line-up IMO. They'll likely take a run at Montador, and if he signs for decent value:

Edler-Salo
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Ballard-Montador
Alberts-Rome

Basically, Montador for Ehrhoff. Hopefully, the top 6 there are the top 6 during the next year. Come to think of it, I'm not sure the entire top 6 (with Ehrhoff) played together at any point during the regular season or playoffs. Ballard was usually scratched. Salo came back after Edler went down. Then, Hamhuis and Ehrhoff got injured in the playoffs at different points. Something to think about...
You know AV will put in Rome before either of those players.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Good news for the rest of the league, you guys mean. Mike Gillis just doesn't understand how to build a defense. At all. He's done a great job on the Canucks' forwards but he's a disaster everywhere else.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Luck 6
\\_______

People expecting under a mil are being very ridiculous. He made a mil last season, and he played great all year. He was one of our pleasant surprises out of camp, and by all accounts I see no reason why he doesn't deserve a raise. 1.22mil is cheap, I was expecting closer to 1.5mil. I like Alberts much better than Rome, I hope he can be out there playing games a lot.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Edler Salo*
Hamhuis Bieksa
Ballard Tanev
Alberts Parent
Rome

That's not bad saving us from injuries.

Old
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Meh.

Don't really care either way, the guy only played 42 games for us last year. I guess he'll play more in the coming season since we've lost depth. Indifferent to the money involved...I guess this is a question of comfort because I don't see any real fall-off if we hadn't retained him.

I'm assuming he'll be around the 8th guy on the depth chart since I'd like at least one upgrade on him and Rome via free agency with the dollars we have at our disposal.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:49 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Horse View Post
Good news for the rest of the league, you guys mean. Mike Gillis just doesn't understand how to build a defense. At all. He's done a great job on the Canucks' forwards but he's a disaster everywhere else.
lol number 1 for all defensive statistically. Defense fell apart due to injuries. 0/10 attempt.

Old
TLinden16
Horse

Assuming Salo is being signed...I think this points Gillis cap in one of two directions

A) Montador type isn't being signed, and Alberts IS that signing. #5-6 guy.

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Salo
Ballard-Alberts
Rome, Tanev, Parent

B) Gillis is stocking right back up the depth to 10 NHL capable blueliners again.

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Salo
Ballard-XXX
Alberts, Rome, Tanev, Parent

Option C being Ballard moved but I'm starting to think that is not in the cards.

TLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Horse View Post
Yeah, such a disaster on D. We managed to make it to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals because of the depth on D that MG created without his #1 d-man in Hamhuis and AV's #1 d-man in Aaron Rome. Yup, MG knows nothing.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post
Assuming Salo is being signed...I think this points Gillis cap in one of two directions

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Salo
Ballard-Alberts
Rome, Tanev, Parent

B) Gillis is stocking right back up the depth to 10 NHL capable blueliners again.

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Salo
Ballard-XXX

Option C being Ballard moved but I'm starting to think that is not in the cards.
Parent wasn't even all that good in the AHL. More importantly he's still eligible for waivers (both ways). Chances are they will keep him in the AHL until he is ready to start the year with the Canucks without being sent down. That's not the case right now.

Alberts doesn't play the right side so Option A doesn't work either.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Salo
Ballard-Alberts
Rome, Tanev, Parent

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Salo
Ballard-XXX

Think that would be a big mistake as Montador, while not a true top four guy, has at least the capability (my opinion) of filling in that role if required (temporarily).

Sure we may have 9/10 capable D - but how many are capable top four D (that includes injury prone Salo)?

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Diven

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
As it stands right now (assuming we lock up Salo) we have 9 guys I'd feel comfortable with playing at least NHL 6th D minutes:

Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Salo, Ballard, Alberts, Tanev, Rome, Parent.

I think we're likely to add 1 more defenseman as well. We're pretty well equipped to deal with injury on the back end.

Cap hit is fine. I think he made around 1.1 last year so it's the same or maybe even a bit less in relation to the new cap.
We definately have depths. I'm a little concerned that so much of it is on the left side. Ideally I would like a 5th dman quality guy on the right side.

Any additional depth I would hope would be provided by the farm. Sauve and Connauton hopefully can provide that.

Diven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:53 PM
eklunds source

Why do I see Parent sketched in as an 8th or 9th D?

Am I the only person who doesn't think he's NHL calibre, at least yet? His experiment last season was a disaster..

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:55 PM
m9

I thought Alberts played very well last year, easily outplayed Ballard and Rome. He was horrible in 2009-10 but he settled in nicely last year. I've got no problem with an Alberts/Tanev 3rd pairing with Rome as #7.

Also, he's the #1 example why we can expect a bounceback year from Ballard. Alberts significantly improved over 09/10 in our system, so hopefully in the fall Ballard will do the same.

My perfect scenario is playing out so far. Next, just need to ditch Salo and Rome and sign Jovo..

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:55 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Not happy with this signing at all. He's a slow defenseman and we frankly have better players on our depth chart. I'd much rather give Parent a shot than see him waste away in the minors another season. Tanev also deserves a shot to stick here full-time, and I don't see AV's little pet Rome being dumped to the minors anytime soon.

06-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Parent wasn't even all that good in the AHL. More importantly he's still eligible for waivers (both ways). Chances are they will keep him in the AHL until he is ready to start the year with the Canucks without being sent down. That's not the case right now.

Alberts doesn't play the right side so Option A doesn't work either.
This has me scratching my head too. Parent sucks. Big-time. I have more confidence in guys like Sauve and Sweatt.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Why do I see Parent sketched in as an 8th or 9th D?

Am I the only person who doesn't think he's NHL calibre, at least yet? His experiment last season was a disaster..
No, count me in on that as well.

He was pretty much a disaster at the NHL level last year, and was adequate at the AHL level. Unless he's improve a lot since I last saw him I doubt he's even under consideration for a NHL spot. Though I guess anything can happen out of camp.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bleach Clean

Rome is a Left Shot, but I remember reading that he prefers playing on the right side. Can anyone confirm this? If so, this signing makes more sense. Alberts in if Ballard goes south. Rome in one Salo gets injured.

People are underestimating the worth of Alberts to the team. He buys in. The coaches trust him. He gets the system. He clears the net and is sound positionally. Who will do that on the open market for 1.25m?

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Not happy with this signing at all. He's a slow defenseman and we frankly have better players on our depth chart. I'd much rather give Parent a shot than see him waste away in the minors another season. Tanev also deserves a shot to stick here full-time, and I don't see AV's little pet Rome being dumped to the minors anytime soon.

Alberts is way better than Parent.