HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(Post 191) Flyers will NOT submit an offer sheet on Stamkos (Stamkos Part II)

Old
06-29-2011, 05:28 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 500
(Post 191) Flyers will NOT submit an offer sheet on Stamkos (Stamkos Part II)

Mod edit:

http://www.csnphilly.com/06/29/11/So...247&feedID=695

Quote:
Another day of the Steven Stamkos Saga passed without any sign of movement from the Flyers as to whether they’ll extend an offer sheet for Tampa Bay’s restricted free agent center.

“A lot of indecision within a very decisive group, which isn’t like the Flyers,” said a source with knowledge of the talks.

The Flyers can’t decide among themselves whether it’s in their best interests to make an offer.

What are the reasons?

For starters, Tampa general manager Steve Yzerman told Flyers’ GM Paul Holmgren he will match any offer and the Flyers are starting to believe it because they’re hearing it everywhere.

“Whoever does this, Tampa has to match,” said the source. “It’s a bad position, but you have no choice. If you don’t sign this player in that market, you are guaranteeing yourself you have no upside with your fans. Yzerman knows that.”

So do the Flyers and the rest of the NHL.
Other thread passed 1,000 posts.

12 years/115 mill?

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-30-2011 at 06:19 PM.
PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:30 PM
JABEE

Let's get it done.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:35 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
Other thread passed 1,000 posts.

12 years/115 mill?
I could deal w/ 12 years / 105 million.

Somehow, the idea of Stamkos getting substantially more years and money than Crosby is something I cannot wrap my head around... plus a cap hit that huge could actually hurt this team.

$8.75M cap hit is pretty much the max I'd feel comfortable with... though Homer seems to be an expert at snuggling right up to the cap limit each and every single year, so if he offers 12 / 115, I guess he feels he can keep all of our guys well into the future.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:35 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

LOCK HIM UP.

as in, cue Tampa resigning in 3, 2, 1...

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

I still don't think he is worth it.

Btw, what people are saying that the Flyers are still debating internally to put in an offersheet, to me is proof that they had absolutely no offseason plan going in and are simply playing it by year.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Slowbro

pretty interesting tidbit i read:

stamkos commands more than 100m
the TB franchise was bought for that much a year ago.

billionaire or not, vinik won't bite.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:45 PM
Mota

Wasn't Bryz rumored at 7 years for 51 mil and ended up signing for 9?

I think if they give him 115 mil itll be a 14 or 15 year contract.

I think 12 years 100 mil is a fair amount (8.3 cap hit).

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:45 PM
Snipsnap12

they had a plan going into this offseason, and they completed it when they made the Richards/Carter trade. The plan was then to add some complimentary pieces to deepen/fill out the roster. I would assume everyone would have thought stamkos would have been locked up already, but the longer it went the more the flyers had to think about it.

The person I get tidbits from inside the organization informed me at the start of the week that stamkos was not in their.However like the media has been reporting some inside the org. say no way, and some are saying it is possible, so there is a debate, and likely there has not been an agreement as to what they are going to do.

My guess is that it wont happen, because it handcuffs them very badly if tampa sits on the offersheet for 7 days and then decides to match, leaving all the other free agents to sign with other teams by then.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

If you guys get Stamkos I think are better then last season.. Plus with all your youth from the trades you guys are going to be nasty.

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangerSince05 View Post
If you guys get Stamkos I think are better then last season.. Plus with all your youth from the trades you guys are going to be nasty.
If we dont get stamkos and sign, cole/gagne/langenbrunner this roster is going to be very deep, if we sign stamkos him giroux and JVR are going to tear ***** up...

Old
06-29-2011, 05:58 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I really don't think that they'll make an offer to Stamkos. I think the Flyers are going to look at shoring up the defense and possibly a forward or two. Holmgren and company need to settle down and just let things calm down a bit. There's no need to continually retool for the sake of retooling. Just find a couple of veterans who will fill in the required roles and go from there.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:03 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

We aren't going to get him, lets be honest.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:07 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

so we put an offsheet out on Friday on Stamkos for 115m/12 years. Stamkos signs it, TB has a week to match.
TB decides to wait a week to match. The Flyers are left with table scraps to sign in free agency because they couldnt sign anyone while they were waiting for TB to match.
Sorry I will pass on that scenerio.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
so we put an offsheet out on Friday on Stamkos for 115m/12 years. Stamkos signs it, TB has a week to match.
TB decides to wait a week to match. The Flyers are left with table scraps to sign in free agency because they couldnt sign anyone while they were waiting for TB to match.
ya it is a very high risk situation. And you know tampa will infact sit on it for a week to debate, and also to screw us.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:15 PM
LI Fly Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
My guess is that it wont happen, because it handcuffs them very badly if tampa sits on the offersheet for 7 days and then decides to match, leaving all the other free agents to sign with other teams by then.
I don't know, we can express interest in whoever and tell them to hang tight and see what happens with Stamkos, I'm sure they would understand and actually use it as leverage against other teams.

LI Fly Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Fly Guy View Post
I don't know, we can express interest in whoever and tell them to hang tight and see what happens with Stamkos, I'm sure they would understand and actually use it as leverage against other teams.
That might rub some players the wrong way, "we are trying to sign stamkos, but if we dont you are our second choice" If a player gets a good offer from another team he isnt going to hold back and miss out on that chance if he isnt certain to get an offer from us.

Big choices coming up

Old
06-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
I could deal w/ 12 years / 105 million.

Somehow, the idea of Stamkos getting substantially more years and money than Crosby is something I cannot wrap my head around... plus a cap hit that huge could actually hurt this team.

$8.75M cap hit is pretty much the max I'd feel comfortable with... though Homer seems to be an expert at snuggling right up to the cap limit each and every single year, so if he offers 12 / 115, I guess he feels he can keep all of our guys well into the future.
I'd like the cap hit to be at 8. Assuming they were to give him 15 years at that cap hit ($120 million), what is the maximum number of $12.86 million seasons they could give him while still staying within the CBA's "step-down" requirements?

Quote:
What other big fish are we looking to get in free agency? If they are truly not interested in Brad Richards, that makes Ville Leino the biggest UFA catch the Flyers are going after.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Flyerfan808

I'd love Stamkos but not at the cost of 4 first round picks and 8M a season for the next 15 years.

Let someone else offer sheet him.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:27 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

I think that if Stamkos signs an offer sheet with us, it is worth the risk of possibly missing out on other free agents. he's a piece that puts us right back in the win now mode. I mean worst case scenario, tampa matches... even if we don't sign any(there will be some left by july 7th), i'd be pretty comfortable putting out the current roster we have and then trading for a veteran role player at the deadline next year if need be.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:28 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post

What other big fish are we looking to get in free agency? If they are truly not interested in Brad Richards, that makes Ville Leino the biggest UFA catch the Flyers are going after.
Thats not the point. We wont be able to sign anyone offering that kind of deal. you know depth playets that we still need. You act like there is no risk. There is plenty of risk in doing this and that is probably the biggest one. if we give Stamkos an offersheet you can forget about Gagne, Cole, ect signing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
I think that if Stamkos signs an offer sheet with us, it is worth the risk of possibly missing out on other free agents. he's a piece that puts us right back in the win now mode. I mean worst case scenario, tampa matches... even if we don't sign any(there will be some left by july 7th), i'd be pretty comfortable putting out the current roster we have and then trading for a veteran role player at the deadline next year if need be.
It is not worth the risk. You drinking the same kool-aid Holmgren, Clarke, Snider are pushing? They think we are better right now then we were a week ago. We are not better. This team still needs a checking defensive center, a 7th defenseman among other things.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:31 PM
King Fish

Where are you getting 1 week to match? It's 48hrs as per NHLPA.

King Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:40 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Quote:
It is not worth the risk. You drinking the same kool-aid Holmgren, Clarke, Snider are pushing? They think we are better right now then we were a week ago. We are not better. This team still needs a checking defensive center, a 7th defenseman among other things.
i never said they were better but the roster right now is a playoff team with a bright future. we can always tinker in season if we need to. plus there will be other free agents available that can fill the checking center/7th defenseman role.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
That might rub some players the wrong way, "we are trying to sign stamkos, but if we dont you are our second choice" If a player gets a good offer from another team he isnt going to hold back and miss out on that chance if he isnt certain to get an offer from us.

Big choices coming up
If they are true professionals they should understand talent level and the business. Few players out there, and none of the FAs should think they are better than Stamkos, so from a business standpoint being "second choice" really shouldnt bother them.

They may hold off if it means a chance to play on a contending team with stamkos

Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkoll View Post
If they are true professionals they should understand talent level and the business. Few players out there, and none of the FAs should think they are better than Stamkos, so from a business standpoint being "second choice" really shouldnt bother them.

They may hold off if it means a chance to play on a contending team with stamkos
leino and cole will likely walk if we hold off to see about stammer.... gagne is the only one who I could see waiting in the wings to come back to philly, which is a good thing, but I actually think we can fit leino and gagne if we wanted to.

Old
06-29-2011, 07:01 PM
PlantersOye

I think we're a better team if Stamkos plays like he does in the regular season, but not sure about playoffs.

PlantersOye is offline   Reply With Quote