HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr + Kovalchuk

Closed Thread

Old
09-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
how legit is spectors
Spector's gathers reports from other sources, he doesn't report rumors.

this report was from ESPN radio

Old
09-05-2005, 09:20 PM
Balej20*

vCash: 500
http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/spe...e_rumours.html

thats the Spectors Link, and as was previously mentioned, they gather rumors from other sources. The Kovalchuk rumor was from ESPN Radio.

Old
09-06-2005, 01:05 AM
eco's bones

On the why Bettman wants Kovalchuk in Atlanta---it's to protect that market he determined to make in the south. It trumps any marketing advantage the league would have with Ilya in NYC.

Old
09-06-2005, 07:34 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Thanks everyone

I like that he (or she) does go to an effort to quote his sources. Unfortunately, I don't see anything on that page or in his archives referring to an ESPN radio source claiming that the teams are negotiating a deal for Kovalchuk - perhaps he took it down for some reason? (Or maybe I just missed it when scanning the page?)

Interestingly, in his archives he does quote the Brooks article on Kovalchuk as well as an earlier Ottawa Sun article stating that some of the big signings (Nash, Lecavalier) were motivated by fear of the Rangers' cap space - and his analysis is that he seriously doubts that NY will make an offer to a major RFA any time soon.

Old
09-06-2005, 07:36 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangerFan
I like that he (or she) does go to an effort to quote his sources. Unfortunately, I don't see anything on that page or in his archives referring to an ESPN radio source claiming that the teams are negotiating a deal for Kovalchuk - perhaps he took it down for some reason? (Or maybe I just missed it when scanning the page?)

Interestingly, in his archives he does quote the Brooks article on Kovalchuk as well as an earlier Ottawa Sun article stating that some of the big signings (Nash, Lecavalier) were motivated by fear of the Rangers' cap space - and his analysis is that he seriously doubts that NY will make an offer to a major RFA any time soon.
its under archives

it just saids supposedly, St Louis and NYR contact ATL on a trade and the Devils may get involved as a three team deal which has them shipping off Kozlov and Friesen

Old
09-06-2005, 07:38 AM
in the hall

SPECTOR'S MAILBAG.

My thanks to "Blues Puckhead" for the following on Ilya Kovalchuk: "ESPNEWS and ESPN Radio reported that the Blues and the
Rangers have both contacted Atlanta about Ilya Kovalchuk. There is
speculation that there is a possible three team trade in the works
involving the New Jersey Devils. In the report, the Devils are looking
to dump Jeff Friesen and Viktor Kozlov."

Old
09-06-2005, 08:56 AM
Fletch

Bettman's bear-term objective....

is to get hockey support up, which I believe in many minds would be helped by having Kovalchuk and possibly a winning team in New York today. Secondary to getting the fans back is success in cities such as Atlanta, Nashville and the like, I believe at least. All you hear is NHL numbers as a whole - nobody's broken it down to the point they say that the Predators can't survive.

Old
09-06-2005, 09:12 AM
OleOleOleOleBureBure

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
I agree with most of Rodent's rant...but the main reason i've been for dealing Jagr is that he doesn't fit in with a major rebuild. he alone has a great chance of knocking us right out of contention for a top 3 pick. plus, as Rodent says, he's not a leadership guy that the kids can look up too. and he's a great value to any team. i don't buy the part about "Which club can afford to take on the remaining $4.8M without offloading a big salary back onto Glen Sather?" JJ at 4.8 mil/per is the BEST DEAL in hockey. there are at least a handful of teams that could, and would, make it work.

OleOleOleOleBureBure, as far as offering Kovalchuk a 5 year deal at 7 mil/per with a 25 mil signing bonus...well that won't work. the signing bonus is prorated over the life of the contract as far as the cap is concerned, so that would be like offering him a 12 mil/year deal, which is not possible.
Broadway, how do you figure? 5 years at 7M per year is = 35M. with a 25M bonus, he still gets 2M/ year. how do you get 12M per year????

Old
09-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Fletch

I think the calculation is like...

5 years at $7MM per + $5MM ($25 million bonus divided by 5 years) = $12 million per year.

What you're saying, I believe, is $25 million bonus + 5 years at $2 million per which equals $7MM per.

Old
09-06-2005, 12:08 PM
eco's bones

At the risk

of turning this into Rodent's new rantsite (and I hope he doesn't mind) here's todays very entertaining and articulate (at least to me) rundown on what possibly is going on in Kovalchuk's and Sather's and Waddell's minds right now:

http://www.leaderboard.com/rodent.htm

Old
09-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Let's keep all the Kovalchuk stuff together in one thread.

Closed Thread