HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

The Official Duncan Siemens Appreciation Thread

Old
06-26-2011, 03:13 PM
NHL33*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
What this defense really needs is more soft midgets who get pushed around yah thats it.
You can always get defensive defensemen via trade and free agency, if they didn't consider Siemens BPA at #11 then they ****ed up. I'm willing to reserve judgment on the pick, but Murphy was probably the draft selection they should have gone with.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Freudian
Calmer than you are

vCash: 50
I'm glad we passed on Murphy. Not only is he very short, he has basically no frame to add muscle.

I know the HF mantra is that you can always learn defense, you have to be able to hold your own to start with.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Gdav

I sure hope Siemens turns out to be a stud so it doesn't hurt as much knowing we passed on Larsson. I think Landeskog will be great but I can't just help thinking we will look back and say damn Larsson is good

Gdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 04:07 PM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdav View Post
I sure hope Siemens turns out to be a stud so it doesn't hurt as much knowing we passed on Larsson. I think Landeskog will be great but I can't just help thinking we will look back and say damn Larsson is good
Ya I love the Landeskog pick but I would have liked it more if Larrson had already been taken, but between the two picks I thought the AVS showed they want to get bigger and more physical. It's a fun time to be an AVS fan and watch this young skilled team be put together

StuckOutHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 04:20 PM
SuperJoe

vCash: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
What this defense really needs is more soft midgets who get pushed around yah thats it.
PLease tell me you've seen him at least one game to be making comments like that. With your dumb reasoning, the Edmonton OIlers would have the best dman core in the league, well look at the size of those pylons, while we are at it, let's call the Wilds i'm sure they would be open to trade Barker he's 6'3'' 215lbs. Murphy's 5'11'' will fill up to probably 195lbs, they're many dman of that size in the NHL, tell me for one sec you wouldn't want Enstrom, cause he's a midget, come on man. Anyway welcome aboard Duncan, i'm hoping you will take the lead as the number one dman in Saskatoon and keep your head in the game.

SuperJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 04:34 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I'm glad we passed on Murphy. Not only is he very short, he has basically no frame to add muscle.

I know the HF mantra is that you can always learn defense, you have to be able to hold your own to start with.
This guy makes Frodo Baggins look like Dwayne Johnson

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Here's what ESPN's draft blog said about Duncan at the combine:

Quote:
One prospect who interviewed particularly well was defenseman Duncan Siemens. Said one scout: "We asked him the same questions that we ask most kids: What's your game? Strengths? Weaknesses? Adjustments you're going to have to make? He absolutely nailed it. I couldn't have described his game any better. He had never impressed me [on the ice] as a guy who might have that type of insight or intelligence. You hear that, though, and you come away thinking that he'll figure things out and will do what it takes to get to the next level."

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:10 AM
Ice Apes

Just got back from the draft today. Spent a few days hanging out in Minnesota afterwords..... Was able to meet Sakic and get my jersey signed! Anyways, was also able to meet Siemens and got him to sign my hat. He's a super nice guy, and seems like hes got a good head on his shoulders. Wished him luck and he seemed dead set on making the team in the next year or two.

Ice Apes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:16 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
I posted my scouting reports on a ton of other WHL picks all over HF boards, but never posted the Siemens one here....so here it is:

Quote:
#2 Duncan Siemens – D – Saskatoon Blades

- Siemens provides a unique blend of size, skating ability and toughness to the blueline. At 6’3 and around 200 pounds, he’s also already got pro size. The thing that sets Siemens apart from other blueliners his size is his skating ability. He’s got great top end speed, solid acceleration and good East-West mobility. He’s at his best when he’s jumping into the rush and creating offense by driving lanes. That skating also allows him to be a bit riskier as he can get back into position well. He’s a solid passer and is good starting a team’s transition. He does tend to over think things and can get himself in trouble by holding on to the puck too long in his own zone. Quicker decisions are big for him as he needs to rely more on his instincts. He doesn’t have a great shot and struggled at times on the Blades powerplay this year. His overall puck skills are an area he needs to work on if he wants to provide some offense at the next level. Overall he’s an imposing package that also shows strong leadership abilities. Ranking him ahead of McNeill was a tough call. Personally, I think Siemens has the ability to be a strong top 3 defenseman. To me, that’s more valuable than someone who will be a solid number 2 center.

NHL comparable: Ed Jovanovski

Top end potential: Top 3 defender

Pick prediction: Top 15
For the others, visit:

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2...-part-two.html

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:33 AM
NWAvs

Quote:
Might be too easy for the other team to get a shot off against Cumiskey-Siemens.
Post of the year.

NWAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 08:13 PM
wings5

Quote:
Might be too easy for the other team to get a shot off against Cumiskey-Siemens.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

His name does suggest the punch line "That's not glaze."

Old
06-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

I think Siemens actually has a shot at making this year's team. I can't imagine he's too far behind Elliot in terms of development if they play on the same pairing.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:34 PM
niwotsblessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
I think Siemens actually has a shot at making this year's team. I can't imagine he's too far behind Elliot in terms of development if they play on the same pairing.
Siemens is two years younger than Elliott, youngest kid in the draft actually. Elliott also played for LEM in the playoffs last season which is a small but meaningful step.

niwotsblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
...that's not exactly how it works. Just bc they are on the same pairing doesn't mean they are the same player...

Old
06-30-2011, 01:31 AM
forsbergavs32

vCash: 133
This fight gave me a laugh....Siemens vs Seaman

forsbergavs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:57 AM
BrickAHL
#Shermy is ELEPHANT

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsbergavs32 View Post
This fight gave me a laugh....Siemens vs Seaman

Siemens kicked his ass.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:37 AM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
His name does suggest the punch line "That's not glaze."

Avsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:25 AM
electricjib

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwotsblessing View Post
Siemens is two years younger than Elliott, youngest kid in the draft actually. Elliott also played for LEM in the playoffs last season which is a small but meaningful step.
Elliot also had an amazing game for the Avs last pre-season. He was all over the place on the ice.

electricjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:58 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

If he gets the 9 game try out will be my yardstick.

Old
08-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Had the pleasure of chatting with a pair of people "in the know" yesterday. A well connected Kelowna Rockets scout and someone from inside the Blades organization.

The feeling around Siemens is that they are going to give him every chance in the world to make the team. Even with the signings of guys like O'Brien and Hunwick, the team feels as if Siemens could potentially come in and earn a role with the Avs.

This might not be ground breaking news or anything, but it kind of is...because it sounds as if Colorado has no idea how their blueline will shake out come training camp.

Several of these rookies (Siemens, Elliott, Barrie, Chouinard, Gaunce) could force some of the vets (Hunwick, O'Brien, Cumiskey) to the sidelines.

I've said it before and I will say it again, Siemens isn't ready. He has all the tools in the world to play at the next level already, including an NHL man body at the age of 17, but he still has too many mistakes. He's not ready.

The feeling seems to be that he will get to play in all the exhibition games and potentially 4-5 to start the season before being sent back.

I know everyone here in the Blades office is crossing their fingers he's back...and I truly think he will be. I also expect to see a 'C' on his chest here in the WHL.

Old
08-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
That confirms the feeling Iv'e had as a whole, that signing a billion people for a few spots is pretty much just a prerequisite for a preseason royal rumble for a spot on the team. I like it.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 04:19 PM
avsfan9

where is seimens as compared to say larsson or hamilton. are they predicted to be much better or are they close? can someone give some insight.

avsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan9 View Post
where is seimens as compared to say larsson or hamilton. are they predicted to be much better or are they close? can someone give some insight.
He was definitely a tier below those two guys. But with guys this age it's always a crap shoot, especially defenseman. Not to mention all three play different styles of game, with Hamilton and Larsson both being much better offensive players.

Old
08-05-2011, 04:49 PM
The Kingslayer

I dont want to rush Siemens and I think regardless of how he plays in camp he needs to go back to the Blades but thats just me.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote