HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is your Breakout Ranger for next season?

Old
06-29-2011, 05:34 PM
freewheeler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
I'm thinking Datsyuk-lite.

freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:38 PM
3Four3

I'm going with Cally. Had 48 points and missed 20 games. He could have easily notched 60 this season. If only he could work on his shot a little more. I'm calling it: 75 points for Cally, barring any injuries that takes him out of 10 plus games.

Stepan is another one I'm rooting for. Not bad for a rookie season and I hope he becomes immune of the sophomore slump. Hopefully, he's adjusted and knows what to expect from a full NHL season + playoffs, albeit short for the latter.

Del Zotto. Oh, do or die for that one. He better bring it.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Anisimov is gonna put the league on notice by blowing up offensively. I feel he has the skill to do so. I'm thinking Datsyuk-lite.
So by lite you mean skim?

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:40 PM
freewheeler

If Rangers sign Richards, and decide to keep the Pack line in-tact, maybe Stepan gets the chance to play RW on the 1st. I like the idea of Prust-Boyle-Hagelin, and we have plenty to patch together different 4th line mixes. The only thing I don't like about it is I think they'd probably like to continue his development as a center, especially with his work needed on faceoffs. But if Anisimov is as beloved as members here and the organization has suggested, and Richards is signed 6+, something has to give.

Gabby - Richards - Stepan
Dubi - Anisimov - Capt. Cal
Prust - Boyle - Hagelin
Avery - Zuccs - Weise

I think that contends...

Old
06-29-2011, 06:02 PM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
So by lite you mean skim?

He has shown flashes of craftiness handling the puck & has pulled some sweat moves that led to more than a few goals with that sneaky wrist shot of his. If he can do it on a more consistent basis....I honestly don't think its that much of a stretch. By lite, there's no way he'll ever posses the skillz that Datsyuk has defensively. Datsyuk is an absolute beast at stripping players of the puck.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Death By BB Gun
#therightway

I liked what I saw from Ryan last season. It makes me wonder what he could've done with a full season/postseason. I think he'll be the new captain next season and I think he'll take it in stide and flourish.

Death By BB Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Michael Del Zotto will be back with a vengeance. He will score over half a point per game.

I will also be rooting for Zuccarello. If he can establish himself as a solid, 50+ point second liner, it will he big for the Rangers. The defense is terrific, but we need guys who can make it happen on offense.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Blazephr

Just for fun. I'm a huge, huge fan of Datsyuk. I only pray Arty turns out to be half the player.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Elvis Presley
Aka #30

PRUST PRUST PRUST!

Someone has to believe... I guess...

Elvis Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Blazephr

now i can't stop looking at you-tube clips.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:31 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

When people use Datsyuk-lite to talk about Arty's upside, they don't mean he'll be as good as Datsyuk.

Two-way center with good hands, ability to do stuff with the puck, and can take the puck away without turning it over.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:32 PM
freewheeler

Quote:
I honestly don't think its that much of a stretch. By lite, there's no way he'll ever posses the skillz that Datsyuk has defensively. Datsyuk is an absolute beast at stripping players of the puck.
I do.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Anyone thinks Wolski might have a breakout year? He is working on his skating with Barb Underhill, which is helpful in and of itself, and as a sign of his desire to make it.

He is very, very close to being a good second liner, but needs to be. more consistent and stronger. Even though skating isn't a problem, improving it would improve his game. If Bure's skating was "not a problem" average instead of phenomenal, he would have been a second liner, not a superstar. Similarly, if Wolski can go from average to excellent, it could make up for some other flaws.

Better skating, 5-10 pounds of additional muscle and an improved on-ice effort would make him a good second liner who would be very valued by the coach and the fans.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Blazephr

And Datsyuk was fortunate to start his career on a high octane offensive Detroit team. I get jealous watching Red Wings games.

@freewheeler

so far you've had two responses, and two words. Nice talking to ya.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSapLlama View Post
Artem Anisimov.

You could argue that he has already done so, because 44 points in your second year in the NHL is nothing to scoff at, but I really think Anisimov is going to put it all together this year.

I made a bold prediction in an earlier thread that he will be better then Jordan Staal, and I stick by it. He is extremely talented on both sides of the puck, and the only thing that is really holding him back is consistently using his talent. He has shown flashes of brilliance in both a defensive and offensive capacity, and if he can have them on a more consistent basis, he will be a treat to watch.

I predict a season for 25 goals and 35 assists for Anisimov this year over the course of a full season (injuries not withstanding).
Better than Jordan Staal? That is beyond ridiculous. Jordan Staal would easily be our first line center and if we had him, we wouldn't need to be throwing crazy money at Brad Richards. Seriously, if Anni ends up being half the all around player that Jordan Staal already is, he'll be doing fine and the rangers will have a solid 2nd or 3rd line center. I say if Anni produces 20-22 goals and 25-30 assists, that would be terrific production from him although I kind of expect him to have similar or marginally better #'s than last year.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Larry Melnyk

Ryan Hollweg - we all know the kid can skate and hit, but he also has the ability to PK and the hands to score...Oh wait, that was a mistake from a few years ago..

And why I'm afraid to answer this now....But seriosly, I'm not sure if there really will be a player to "breakout"..Everybody being mentioned has aleady done good things and good things are expected..Can't really come up with a surprise...but ..I'll say STEPPAN..I know he scored 40 pointsd last yeat but that one year of expereince with important ice time will make a huge difference...I see all facets of his game improving..AND if the Rangers sign Richards it could put him in a very good position as the number 2 playmaker and the number 2 PP center...and rarely get the top defensive coverage....60-65 points...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Better than Jordan Staal? That is beyond ridiculous. Jordan Staal would easily be our first line center and if we had him, we wouldn't need to be throwing crazy money at Brad Richards.
Jordan Staal is a borderline 2nd line center as of now. The guy has never broken 50 points. Don't get the obsession with his gameógreat defensive player, relatively mediocre offensively. Weak, inaccurate shot, bad vision, and average hands. He is not, by ANY means, a legitimate #1 center.

Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Agree with Anisimov, also nominate Tim Erixon. He'll be on our second pairing by December
Our 2nd pairing is already set, be happy if Tim Erikson just makes the team out of camp.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:41 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Tim Erixon (3rd to 1st), he'll be playing top pairing with Mark Staal by the end of the year.

Wojitek Wolski busts it out with a new skating style. We see a WW like we've never seen before. Flying around and working for a new contract.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Kershaw

I'll take a reach and say Stepan will be an all star for us next year.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Tim Erixon, he'll be playing top pairing with Mark Staal by the end of the year.

Dang, I'd really hate to see Staal demoted to CT....JK

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
THIS is a fun thread.

Of guys who've played on the team before, Anisimov, Stepan, Sauer & McDonagh are all the leading possibilities, IMO. I guess you could also throw Dubi and Cally in there, but in order for either to really "break out" from previous performances they'd have to hit ~70 points. In MDZ's case we're hoping he RETURNS to breakout status, so I'm not sure he counts. Erixon is an obvious choice as a rookie. Less obvious rookie choices would be Hagelin, Valentenko or Kundratek. And then there are out-of-left-field kids, who no one expects to make the team, but could come on like Skinner did for the Canes last year (e.g. Thomas).

The nice thing is that there are a LOT of good choices there - and it's entirely possible that more than one have what we consider "breakout" seasons. To choose just one, I'm going to go with Stepan, although I honestly think what'll happen is you'll see marked, steady improvement by all four of the first names I mentioned plus Erixon stepping right in as a capable contributor from day 1, without any necessarily startling leaps forward.
First of all, there is no one on our roster who even remotely resembles Jeff Skinner. Your talking about a player who might end up as a 40/40 guy in his 2nd season.
Secondly, if I had to chose a player on our roster for a possible breakout season, the obvious choice would be McDonagh. He has terrific speed,tremendous balance and exceptional lower body strength. He is a stud who will be our best defenseman for years to come and I firmly believe that he will become one of the top defensive defensemen in the league in a few years once he gains additional experience. Watch his game closely for all the little things he does so effectively and you'll agree with my assessment of him.
He will become an all star for his performance on the ice and not because he's Eric and Jordan Staal's brother.

Old
06-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:
Just for fun. I'm a huge, huge fan of Datsyuk. I only pray Arty turns out to be half the player.

Half the player Datsyuk is, how about 1/10 the player! Datsyuk is the best all around player the red wings have had since #9. Yes, better than Stevie Y and Fedorov.

Old
06-29-2011, 07:18 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
First of all, there is no one on our roster who even remotely resembles Jeff Skinner. Your talking about a player who might end up as a 40/40 guy in his 2nd season.
Secondly, if I had to chose a player on our roster for a possible breakout season, the obvious choice would be McDonagh. He has terrific speed,tremendous balance and exceptional lower body strength. He is a stud who will be our best defenseman for years to come and I firmly believe that he will become one of the top defensive defensemen in the league in a few years once he gains additional experience. Watch his game closely for all the little things he does so effectively and you'll agree with my assessment of him.
He will become an all star for his performance on the ice and not because he's Eric and Jordan Staal's brother.
Oh come on, is there a reason you had to just default right to combative off the bat? I just meant "like Skinner" in that he would be someone who came to camp completely off the radar for a spot on the big club, who is penciled in to go back to juniors/Europe/the AHL, but forces the team to keep him.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Michael Del Zotto will be back with a vengeance. He will score over half a point per game.

I will also be rooting for Zuccarello. If he can establish himself as a solid, 50+ point second liner, it will he big for the Rangers. The defense is terrific, but we need guys who can make it happen on offense.
Boy, it's nice to be the ultimate optimist and shoot high, but I don't see it with MDZ or Zucc. I would be thrilled if MDZ just gains enough confidence back to make the team out of camp and be a solid 3rd line pairing guy who contributes 30+ points. As far as Zucc goes, don't see him making it at all and I think he may be out of the league by the end of the season. I'm sticking with McDonagh as our breakout player this year.