HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Richards' agent: "Tell Darcy to be aggressive"

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

vCash: 500
If it turns into a pure bidding war, I don't think we will necessarily be in the running, though we probably have as much cap space as anyone. I don't think that's Regier's and Pegula's philosophy. I think more likely Regier will put together a competitive offer while aggressively preaching why Buffalo is the place where Richards wants to be, given his already stated wish list of stable ownership and the ability to be a Cup contender for an extended period of time. IMO, in those last two categories Buffalo is right up there with the best in the league.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:46 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Goooooood!!

Old
06-29-2011, 04:59 PM
11Owen
Thanks, Feaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
If it turns into a pure bidding war, I don't think we will necessarily be in the running, though we probably have as much cap space as anyone. I don't think that's Regier's and Pegula's philosophy. I think more likely Regier will put together a competitive offer while aggressively preaching why Buffalo is the place where Richards wants to be, given his already stated wish list of stable ownership and the ability to be a Cup contender for an extended period of time. IMO, in those last two categories Buffalo is right up there with the best in the league.
My thoughts exactly. There likely will be one or more teams that offers him either more money but I'm hoping Richards doesn't let money decide where he's going.

Old
06-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Ted Black was just on WGR, and I missed most of it. But from what I did catch, he sounded very confident that something would happen this weekend (not necessarily Richards). When asked if we should fasten our seatbelts, he hesitated for half a second, then said, "Yes. We plan to be as aggressive as necessary."

He also said that Terry and Kim are prepared to travel wherever they have to Friday.The Sabres are in it to win. Whether or not that pans out, we shall see.

Still, I'm confident that even if Richards lands in NY with Torts, the Sabres have enough other targets that fill holes that they can make at least one positive contribution to this team.

Old
06-29-2011, 05:08 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I think so. He is believed to be looking for an eight year 50-55mil contract. Handing him an 8yr 60mil deal couldn't hurt.
9 years, 70 million, front-loaded.

Do it.

Old
06-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
Ted Black was just on WGR, and I missed most of it. But from what I did catch, he sounded very confident that something would happen this weekend (not necessarily Richards). When asked if we should fasten our seatbelts, he hesitated for half a second, then said, "Yes. We plan to be as aggressive as necessary."
Without hearing the actual audio, I'd bet money that his non-response when asked about Richards is just more of the protocol Regier has been following: don't risk getting into possible trouble by naming specific players belonging to other teams. The last thing a GM who once had a fax machine malfunction cost him a player's rights is to have the winning offer to Richards get nullified by accusations of tampering before 7/1.

Black's "aggressive as necessary" reinforces the speculation many have noted that Pegula wants to make a "big splash" - and, in the process, send a message around the NHL to all potential future acquisitions that Buffalo is serious about winning and a big-time player just like all of the glamour teams.

Just a hunch but I strongly suspect that he knows that overpaying in the short term may cost him more money than warranted for one player but will reap a much larger return on his investment by quickly demolishing the stigma the rest of the NHL looks at Buffalo with based on their past frugality. To come up successful with the most highly-sought after player in free agency, against the big name teams, would send such a message instantly; to bid on him and come up short over simple economics may only perpetuate the notion that most people around the NHL probably have - that the Sabres will do what it takes to win up to a certain level only and thus are still in the second tier of franchises not willing to go the full distance.

Quote:
He also said that Terry and Kim are prepared to travel wherever they have to Friday.The Sabres are in it to win. Whether or not that pans out, we shall see.
Apparently, Richards will be in Missaugua, only a drive away from Buffalo. The market opens at noon - TP & Kim should order a buffet delivered with their complements to Morris' office and wait in the lobby to hand the Sabres' offer over in person rather the conventional over-the-phone method the rest of the NHL will try.

Old
06-29-2011, 05:25 PM
sabresfan129103

If anything Darcy should get into a bidding war just to **** over the Rangers or Leafs by driving the price up. I honestly think we have no shot at the guy.

Old
06-29-2011, 05:29 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Just a hunch but I strongly suspect that he knows that overpaying in the short term may cost him more money than warranted for one player but will reap a much larger return on his investment by quickly demolishing the stigma the rest of the NHL looks at Buffalo with based on their past frugality.
Great point, 'tip. Interesting perspective.

Old
06-29-2011, 05:41 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
9 years, 70 million, front-loaded.

Do it.
This is my biggest fear. No thanks.

Old
06-29-2011, 05:54 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Apparently, Richards will be in Missaugua, only a drive away from Buffalo. The market opens at noon - TP & Kim should order a buffet delivered with their complements to Morris' office and wait in the lobby to hand the Sabres' offer over in person rather the conventional over-the-phone method the rest of the NHL will try.
I honestly think your going to see them do this. Just a hunch

Last edited by Clock: 06-29-2011 at 06:04 PM. Reason: quote fix
Old
06-29-2011, 05:54 PM
SwordStanley10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vein View Post
i really like the tsn video on the sabres, free agency & pegula.
I nearly pissed myself in excitement. Even if we dont land Richards, we know that Pegula will do ANYTHING to make this team a winner, and even being involved in the bidding will help remove the stereotypes of mismanagement and cheapness that have plagued this team.

Plus, Bob Mckenzie knows his ****. If hes reporting it, you know the message is being sent loud and clear around the league.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
This is why the Regehr move was such a key piece. Offering Richards a big contract isn't the first move to bring in help from outside -- bringing in one of the highest regarded defensive defensemen in the NHL was. Go big for Richards, sure. It's damned refreshing to actually be in the conversation instead of dealing with the foregone conclusion that Buffalo won't be doing a thing (or nibbling at scraps and leftovers).

06-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Bob McKenzie's words -- http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/#clip493036

Rock. Rock on.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:15 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post

Rock. Rock on.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

Rock. Rock on.
cant wait any longer

quick question.... when does free agency start? midnight thursday? noon friday???

Old
06-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
cant wait any longer

quick question.... when does free agency start? midnight thursday? noon friday???
Noon Friday

already took the day off

Old
06-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:

Rock. Rock on.
Awesome to hear. Even if Richards doesn't sign here, having national media attention on Pegula and the Sabres commitment to winning just helps chip away bit by bit at the perception that surrounds this franchise.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:20 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
I have loved Brad Richards since the 98 Draft in Buffalo where at 13 years old I met Lecavalier and told him that Richards was going to score more points than him. Didn't come true yet, but I still don't think there's any benefit to giving Richards an 8 year deal, especially at a $7.5m cap hit. If this was 5 years ago and he's 26 or something it'd be a different thing alltogether, but I feel like he's going to get seriously overpaid simply because he's the best player available in what is pretty much an awful year for UFAs.

There's obviously been a ton of excitement around Pegula allowing us to spend to the cap, but I feel like the timing is off for going after a UFA. I would much rather use that cap room to have available to retain our core and never let another star see free agency again. I would be much happier to see them go after a 2nd line center via trade, maybe something like the Regehr situation where we take on a bit of salary and don't end up giving up much in return. No idea what his status is, but I'd go for a guy like Mike Fisher from Nashville. Kind of had an off year but absolutely capable of being a 2nd line center and 2 years left on a 4.2m cap hit contract means he shouldn't be too pricey in a trade.

Am I the only one that would be disappointed if they signed Richards to an 8 year deal?

Old
06-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
cant wait any longer

12 Noon EST on Friday.

Interestingly, I was watching NHL Live over lunch hour and they had Holik on as a guest to share his experiences as an UFA once. Hradek noted that the free agency period used to begin at midnight - and that Dallas had people camped outside Holik's door not only with a contract offer but all kinds of promotional DVDs, etc. about Dallas to woo him with.

I wonder how many of the Canadian media may be camped outside Don Meehan's and Pat Morris' office on Friday...

Old
06-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Sabretip

Quote:

Rock. Rock on.
Dregehr had a similar report and video segment on his "Insider" program last night. Nice to see that the Canadian Press isn't overlooking the significance of the Regehr deal last weekend and taking little ol' Buffalo seriously.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:32 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadthestampede View Post
this needs to be reposted and watched by all ....

Old
06-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordStanley10 View Post
I nearly pissed myself in excitement. Even if we dont land Richards, we know that Pegula will do ANYTHING to make this team a winner, and even being involved in the bidding will help remove the stereotypes of mismanagement and cheapness that have plagued this team..
That aspect, I'm not so confident of. Yes, just the fact that they're now willing to compete for high-priced players is a departure from the stereotypes the Golisano regime nurtured - but the Sabres also seem to have this reputation of always being on the cusp only to come up short in the end, regardless of effort. If they bid and lose, that perception of "yeah, they tried but in the end failed" will linger.

If they bid and win over heavy competition, that perception will be blown to bits.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:43 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Great point, 'tip. Interesting perspective.
When one takes Pegula's professed time table of 3 years to win not just 1 Cup but more than 1, urgency is clearly on his mind and time is of the essence. I sense that he's learned enough in his business dealings that pennywise, pound-foolish applies more often than not and that the best marketing tool any successful venture can use is action by doing.

If he spends $$$ to sign Richards but in so doing, the marketing message that such a huge investment/willingness will have changes a lot of agents, players and media members' minds in one fell swoop. Subsequently, it makes the next potential acquisitions not only easier to make but soon lead to players wanting to discount their asking price just to hop on the Pegula bandwagon. Ultimately, that $$$ he spent ends up coming back to him and his team at two or three times the value he first spent.

It's a smart way to approach it and one I firmly believe he's working under.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:49 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:

Still, I'm confident that even if Richards lands in NY with Torts, the Sabres have enough other targets that fill holes that they can make at least one positive contribution to this team.
Any other teams in the league have that in their back pocket? I don't think so. And it's already worked once. Amazing.

That Regehr deal was huge - it makes everything the organization does and says between now and Friday that much more effective. Now that they've broken the ice, it makes everything else that much easier.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
When one takes Pegula's professed time table of 3 years to win not just 1 Cup but more than 1, urgency is clearly on his mind and time is of the essence. I sense that he's learned enough in his business dealings that pennywise, pound-foolish applies more often than not and that the best marketing tool any successful venture can use is action by doing.

If he spends $$$ to sign Richards but in so doing, the marketing message that such a huge investment/willingness will have changes a lot of agents, players and media members' minds in one fell swoop. Subsequently, it makes the next potential acquisitions not only easier to make but soon lead to players wanting to discount their asking price just to hop on the Pegula bandwagon. Ultimately, that $$$ he spent ends up coming back to him and his team at two or three times the value he first spent.

It's a smart way to approach it and one I firmly believe he's working under.
I don't think it is prudent to go and sign a "bad contract" for non-hockey reasons. There is something to what you are saying but that isn't enough of a reason to go over whatever Darcy would judge to be a sensible contract, because Pegula has already done plenty to signal to the world that the Sabres are serious. So while getting Richards would continue to signal that and would do so in arguably the biggest way yet, missing out on him wouldn't be a setback in that regard. Signing him to a deal that harms the Sabres' cap situation would become a setback in hockey terms and thus also be a setback to "Pegula Power".

Obviously, what a "bad contract" or "harmful deal" consists of is subjective, so everything I said is predicated on one judging such criteria themselves. There's a large area between fair value and overpayment where signing Richards would still be prudent in hockey terms, but to cross beyond that area to make some kind of point about how serious the Sabres are would do far more harm than good.

Closed Thread