HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrew Alberts signs 2-Year, $2.45m deal ($1.225/year cap hit)

Old
06-29-2011, 05:31 PM
orcatown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Parent wasn't even all that good in the AHL. More importantly he's still eligible for waivers (both ways). Chances are they will keep him in the AHL until he is ready to start the year with the Canucks without being sent down. That's not the case right now.

Alberts doesn't play the right side so Option A doesn't work either.
Don't know where you come up with some of this stuff

Parent played well at the AHL level and was obviously a cut above any other Moose defenseman perhaps with exception of Flood.

Noel acknowledged him as important part of the team on several occasions and he was sorely missed in the playoffs

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...wAllComments=y

Parent's problems where, as usual, with the injuries. His play was actually quite good.

If Parent can ever get beyond the injuries that have plagued him he becomes an option on your bottom pairing. However, it looks like some of his problems are chronic and that (not so much as his play) makes him doubtful

Signing of Alberts at the price seems very good. If he can ever maintain the play he showed at the beginning of last year it's an excellent deal.

Last season he never seemed to fully recover after the Staubitz hit.
I think hits like that were a main cause of why we get so many injuries on the defense. The team needs to consider ways to reduce the way our D. gets run.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:31 PM
VC

I like Alberts as a depth defensemen, even in the regular 6. Hes got the size that you would feel it when he hits you. Just wondering where everybody is going to fit. 5 signed leftside defensemen and only 2 for the rightside.

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Ballard
Alberts
Rome

Sounds like Salo will be back so helps make picture a little clearer. Still hope for an additional rightsider.

Last edited by VC: 06-29-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: premature postulation
VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Slapshot_11

Unless Ballard is gone this signing confuses me

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:42 PM
MS

Not impressed.

Alberts is to me the defensive version of Tanner Glass. An extremely skill-limited player with a bit of grit who can provide decent cover in limited minutes during the regular season, but can’t be played in the playoffs. Well below average NHL defender, nowhere near as good even as Rome.

The guy was just godawful when he was put in the lineup this postseason (and 2010 playoffs as well), and to me is a league minimum player if he’s kept around. Shouldn’t be more than a one-year deal, either.

When Salo is signed, this means we have 7 guys on one-way deals plus Tanev. Not exactly a lot of room there for upgrades.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:46 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Don't mind but I agree with the thoughts on adding righties. Maybe Ballard will be moved?

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Who says we won't?
I've still got to check, but I'd guess cap space will start being an issue (as we also need to re-sign/sign some wingers).

Tanev can be used at the "callup" guy since he doesn't have to clear waivers (re: issue of so may guys on one-way deals as it is) - but I'd prefer him to be in the top six (cheap cap hit). Any little bit to help us sign wingers.

Now of course, if Ballard gets moved then my opinion will be different.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Why? The UFA market is not the place to "team build". Unless you get hometown discounts the UFA market should be avoided. I'll be happy with a Salo signing, or even Montador if he were willing to play ball Gillis style. Trades are what we need. We have assets we just need a willing partner, and we've got all summer for that.
As has been discussed numerous times it's just asking for a load of trouble...if Tanev can't handle 82 games, if Ballard doesn't improve, if/when Salo goes down for an extended period, etc. It's just trusting too many factors to go your way for my liking...it's like the exact opposite of what we did last year.

I'd be fine with a guy like Montador, but I'd have rather tried for two guys off free agency and left Alberts alone. We already have Rome, who is basically Alberts under-paid clone.

I'd have preferred looking at guys like Hejda, Babchuk, Montador or Hannan. It's not like we can't afford one or two of these guys on Ehrhoff's proposed salary. Now with this Alberts signing it just leaves one less spot for an upgrade.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I've still got to check, but I'd guess cap space will start being an issue (as we also need to re-sign/sign some wingers).

Tanev can be used at the "callup" guy since he doesn't have to clear waivers (re: issue of so may guys on one-way deals as it is) - but I'd prefer him to be in the top six (cheap cap hit). Any little bit to help us sign wingers.

Now of course, if Ballard gets moved then my opinion will be different.
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Salo
Alberts - Montador
Rome
Tanev

Not sure how I feel about this lineup.

Not even really sold on Salo returning to be honest, love what he brings to the table but his injuries screw up our defence.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:51 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I really wish we didn't make this signing. Alberts just offers nothing that we couldn't have gotten internally. IMO it's a waste of cap space unless we're planning on getting rid of Rome which I highly doubt.

As it stands, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we found a way to dump Ballard, and went into the season with our defense looking like this:

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Salo
Rome-Tanev
Alberts

06-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Shorthander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25EvaJ View Post
Why do you think that?
There are a lot of teams that need a d-man, a lot of teams that need to spend to reach the floor, and the cap increase will inflate all contracts signed this summer.

Shorthander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I really wish we didn't make this signing. Alberts just offers nothing that we couldn't have gotten internally. IMO it's a waste of cap space unless we're planning on getting rid of Rome which I highly doubt.

As it stands, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we found a way to dump Ballard, and went into the season with our defense looking like this:

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Salo
Rome-Tanev
Alberts
Oh ye of little faith.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Not impressed.

Alberts is to me the defensive version of Tanner Glass. An extremely skill-limited player with a bit of grit who can provide decent cover in limited minutes during the regular season, but can’t be played in the playoffs. Well below average NHL defender, nowhere near as good even as Rome.

The guy was just godawful when he was put in the lineup this postseason (and 2010 playoffs as well), and to me is a league minimum player if he’s kept around. Shouldn’t be more than a one-year deal, either.

When Salo is signed, this means we have 7 guys on one-way deals plus Tanev. Not exactly a lot of room there for upgrades.

Defensive version of Tanner Glass? lol ouch. That's harsh. I disagree though.

Alberts doesn't run around in his own zone as much as Rome. And on occasion, will make a pass up the ice, instead of chipping it off the glass. I thought he played pretty well in the playoffs for being a depth guy.

I don't understand the hate.

To Bobby Lu: Any free agent option for a 6/7th dman would have cost more. This way, you solidify a depth spot on the cheap, so you are able to spend more for and FA option that you like. Hejda will get 3m. Hannan might get 2m. And Montador can still be brought in.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:54 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Salo
Rome-Tanev
Alberts
Good Lord!

What do we have an internal cap now? Was I not informed? Jeeze, that is an absolute nightmare to me...this is a premium example of how to disassemble a succesful blue line...not build one.

Old
06-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot_11 View Post
Unless Ballard is gone this signing confuses me
It doesn't confuse me. Alberts is a depth d-man.

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Salo
Ballard - Tanev
Rome - Alberts.

That's still a pretty damn solid group of defense. I think Edler will step it up next year. He was in talks for the Norris before he got injured. I'm thinking he'll step back up to that level again which will help ease the loss of Ehrhoff. We also will have a full season of Salo... make that half a season more of him potentially be healthy.

Ballard should have a better season.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the fact that we're losing Ehrhoff. He was perfect for our system. That and the fact that the money we're saving on Ehrhoff can be used on a top-6 forward. I'm looking at someone like Gagne who will likely offset the amount of offense we'd lose from not having Ehrhoff. Defensively we're not missing much as it wasn't exactly Ehrhoffs strong suit save for being able to get back quickly to help odd man rushes against.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Defensive version of Tanner Glass? lol ouch. That's harsh. I disagree though.

Alberts doesn't run around in his own zone as much as Rome. And on occasion, will make a pass up the ice, instead of chipping it off the glass. I thought he played pretty well in the playoffs for being a depth guy.

I don't understand the hate.
I don't either, he played very well for us. I think people are menstruating over the loss of Ehrhoff and are just in a pissy mood in general.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Nazzy-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I don't either, he played very well for us. I think people are menstruating over the loss of Ehrhoff and are just in a pissy mood in general.
I don't get it either. People are advocating spending more money on a bottom pairing guy like Montador. Why do that when you've got a guy like Alberts who knows the system, played well in it last year, and has shown that he's obviously comfortable with the fact that he won't play every single game.

Nazzy-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
-
Well, he was coming off a large layoff due to wrist surgery when he was thrown into the playoffs, so it's not surprising he was rusty.

I'm pretty indifferent to this signing really though. He's a solid depth guy and knows the system, so I don't see it as a bad move. Gives the team some size and physical ability on the backend.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Salo, Ballard, Alberts, Tanev, Rome.

I think we're likely to add 1 more defenseman as well. We're pretty well equipped to deal with injury on the back end.
Everyone on canucks-HF, has got me sold on Montador now, so I hope he signs here for 3 years.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:02 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazzy-19 View Post
I don't get it either. People are advocating spending more money on a bottom pairing guy like Montador. Why do that when you've got a guy like Alberts who knows the system, played well in it last year, and has shown that he's obviously comfortable with the fact that he won't play every single game.
Montador is a pretty big improvement on both Alberts and Rome though; he's a consistent 20+ point defenseman who scores a lot of his points at even strength, can sub-in on the PP in case of injury, and could handle top four time better then any of these other guys.

The reason I have a problem with this isn't necessarily because I think Alberts is terrible or bad value; it's because I don't see why we need him when we have the cap space to upgrade. Rome and Alberts are pretty close to the exact same player, and Rome is making $500,000 less. AV also obviously trusts Rome a whole heck of a lot more; I mean ideally Alberts is playing the same 42 games he played last year...and I think we could get better value on the dollar in that role, and use the money to upgrade our actual top six defensive unit.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Canucks4CupPrettyPlz

Relevant number in terms of building a team in a cap world = % of cap. (imo)

Alberts:

2010/2011 $1.05 million cap hit = 1.77% of cap. ($59.4 million cap)

2011/2012 $1.225 million cap hit = 1.9% of cap. ($64.3 million cap)

So Alberts is indeed taking a bigger slice of the pie this year. However, if the cap goes up next year, he may well be taking a smaller piece than he was in 2010/2011. It seems like it could work out to about the same as his last contract.

I personally am fine with it, I like Alberts and what he brings for this price point. We don't carry a $6 million+ defenseman so we can afford to pay more than league minimum on the bottom end. I don't think one approach is better than the other, as long as the guys on the bottom pairings earn appropriately more responsibility in relation to their larger cap hit.

Last edited by Canucks4CupPrettyPlz: 06-29-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Canucks4CupPrettyPlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:07 PM
mossey3535

Ok, so as I understand it we're bringing back our entire d-core with the exception of Ehrhoff and now we're an unmitigated disaster?

Sorry, I just don't see it. It's ok to agree or disagree with bringing Alberts back because that's your opinion but these blanket comments about the decline in our defence seems premature.

remember, we play some pretty good team defence and that can hide a lot of inadequacies on the back end - just ask Ehrhoff about that.

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:08 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
Everyone on canucks-HF, has got me sold on Montador now, so I hope he signs here for 3 years.
I'm going to remain wary of players that you never hear about or notice until it's the offseason and they're free agents.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:11 PM
thecupismine

I like Andrew Alberts as, when he's healthy, he's the team's most physical defensemen by far. With that being said, something isn't adding up right now with the moves the team is making. As it stands right now, Vancouver has 1 defenseman who plays the right side (2 if you want to include Tanev), and 5 defensemen who play the left. Personally, as great as Tanev was, I hope the team doesn't except him to come in and play at the same level and has some sort of contingency plan should he not play well enough to make the roster. Hopefully Salo is re-signed soon, but the makeup of the defense is leading me to believe that we may see a trade at some point or another. Obviously I have no sources to back that up at all, but the makeup alone of the blueline is, simply put, strange right now.

thecupismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Good signing. Was solid this year, before he was injured. Plays a steady, underrated, physical game. He's a punishing hitter, as well.

His wrist should be fully healed so he'll look better than he did in the playoffs.

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:13 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazzy-19 View Post
I'm not advocating for Montador to be brought in instead of Alberts, rather in addition to Alberts.

If we trade Ballard, Montador would be a good 5th defenceman, and Alberts a good 6th.

It's the Edler - Salo pairing that concerns me, mainly due to Salo's injuries.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote