HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrew Alberts signs 2-Year, $2.45m deal ($1.225/year cap hit)

Old
06-29-2011, 07:17 PM
deckercky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Canuck Fan View Post
Relevant number in terms of building a team in a cap world = % of cap. (imo)

Alberts:

2010/2011 $1.05 million cap hit = 1.77% of cap. ($59.4 million cap)

2011/2012 $1.225 million cap hit = 1.9% of cap. ($64.3 million cap)

So Alberts is indeed taking a bigger slice of the pie this year.
That bigger piece of the pie was about $83k. That's slightly more than one game from Ehrhoff. That's a pretty negligible raise.

deckercky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:19 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
It's the Edler - Salo pairing that concerns me, mainly due to Salo's injuries.
Same here. Also, while Tanev showed great improvement this past season, he's far from a proven defenseman and penciling him into a top 5/6 role without a capable back-up would be foolish.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

If Alberts/Rome are going to be the 6th/7th guys on D, I don't like it because they're not good enough. If Alberts/Rome are going to be the 7th/8th guys on D, I don't like it because they're earning too much for that role.

I don't know what Gillis is doing on the back end, but he's earned my trust. But if we go into the season with Ballard/Rome/Alberts as the 5th, 6th, and 7th defensemen, I shall be...unhappy.

Also Ryan Parent is garbage and we really shouldn't be talking about him.

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Vajakki

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I really wish we didn't make this signing. Alberts just offers nothing that we couldn't have gotten internally. IMO it's a waste of cap space unless we're planning on getting rid of Rome which I highly doubt.
Don't think it's a bad signing. I'm personally not the biggest fan of Alberts and would've actually preferred to let him go and try something different, but I have to admit that's a pretty solid signing. I mean, even though I don't like the player very much, I still realise it's not a bad signing from a team perspective. Anything from UFA market to play pretty much the same role would've cost around 2 million, and those players offer nothing more than what Alberts does. And there's no that type of players from the system either to do that job 500k cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
As it stands, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we found a way to dump Ballard, and went into the season with our defense looking like this:

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Salo
Rome-Tanev
Alberts
Looks very similar to what I've been thinking. IMO the key points here are 1) Salo is important to bring back because he plays the rights side and 2) Ballard prefers left side and the only open spot on the left side is in third pairing as depth guy and Ballard does not fit that role, especially with that contract.

That being said if Gillis fails to bring in a top 6 forward I wouldn't rule out Ballard being back. A bit expensive for a depth guy, but if there's nothing else to fill the cap with... And of course there's always hope Ballard could get his head together and be an effective top 4 defender. Sort of replacing Ehrhoff, playing big minutes on the right side with Edler on left. Ehrhoff was left-handed playing right side too, so it's not impossible.

Last edited by Vajakki: 06-29-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:32 PM
rebel diamond

Meh it's a good signing if you like AA, and I've always thought he was a better player than Rome.

Out of curiosity, where did the Montador hype start? The whole board has salivating over him for a week or two. At least last year's Hamhuis obsession made sense since he was one of the top UFA d-men available.

rebel diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
If Alberts/Rome are going to be the 6th/7th guys on D, I don't like it because they're not good enough. If Alberts/Rome are going to be the 7th/8th guys on D, I don't like it because they're earning too much for that role.

I don't know what Gillis is doing on the back end, but he's earned my trust. But if we go into the season with Ballard/Rome/Alberts as the 5th, 6th, and 7th defensemen, I shall be...unhappy.

Also Ryan Parent is garbage and we really shouldn't be talking about him.
Why? Take a look around the league at other teams 5th, 6th, 7th defensemen. I think you'll find we stack up pretty well.

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:38 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel diamond View Post
Meh it's a good signing if you like AA, and I've always thought he was a better player than Rome.

Out of curiosity, where did the Montador hype start? The whole board has salivating over him for a week or two. At least last year's Hamhuis obsession made sense since he was one of the top UFA d-men available.
A few of us have brought up his name for years now.

I think the recent hype started with a rumour that he was coming to Vancouver this offseason. And he's a Vancouver boy right RHS that plays on the right side, which we always seem to need. Capable bottom pairing player with grit and edge, would be an ok fit.

The more I think about the more I'm not sold on Salo returning on anything more than a depth defenceman, for no more than 1.5. Him being injured for half the season or more screws up the pairings.

Damn Ehrhoff, not sure what we can do to find a replacement for him - not just as a PMD but also as a complimentary player to Edler.

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - ?
Alberts - Montador
Rome
Tanev

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Kmode

Why has there been no talk about Wisniewski? I see him as Bieksa with a bigger shot. He's right-handed, offensive minded with a huge shot, physical and a pretty solid teammate.

I know his rights were just traded to CBJ, and it sounds like they might agree on a deal, but if he's still unsigned come Friday I'd like to take a run at him.

Kmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:47 PM
CINCOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivangran View Post
Why? Take a look around the league at other teams 5th, 6th, 7th defensemen. I think you'll find we stack up pretty well.
Hamhuis and Edler are coming off of major surgeries
Salo is well...Salo
Bieksa has an eerie ability to have his tendons cut by skate blades.

The problem isn't that they are 5th 6th or 7th d-men.

The problem is that the top 4 d-men are prone to injury! and when that happens that's where the trouble starts.

I hope The Canucks are planning on having 8 d-men on the opening roster this year.

CINCOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:47 PM
The Optimist

vCash: 400
I'm indifferent to this signing. If being a Canucks fan has taught me anything, it's that you can't have enough defensive depth. I don't think that Alberts is as bad as some of you seem to think. His contract reflects what he is - a third pairing guy. No complaints from me.

The Optimist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Anzes Eyes
5th line centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
That bigger piece of the pie was about $83k. That's slightly more than one game from Ehrhoff. That's a pretty negligible raise.
but not a hometeam discount.

Anzes Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmode View Post
Why has there been no talk about Wisniewski? I see him as Bieksa with a bigger shot. He's right-handed, offensive minded with a huge shot, physical and a pretty solid teammate.

I know his rights were just traded to CBJ, and it sounds like they might agree on a deal, but if he's still unsigned come Friday I'd like to take a run at him.
Probably because like Ehrhoff, he's about to be insanely overpaid.

Sorry to beat a dead horse but if only Ballard could play the right side with Edler - problem solved.

Perhaps he can be packaged for a fast skating PMD type player who has been struggling on his team.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Tiranis

Quote:

He wants 5m+ apparently.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Crows*

Quote:

Because he`s 26 and has already had a couple serious knee operations. It`s the reason the hawks let him go.

Having been through 3 serious knee operations on the same knee before the age of 22 myself, it would be my main concern for him. Especially locking him up for a long term contract.

CBJ traded for his rights anyway,

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Jack Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Parent wasn't even all that good in the AHL. More importantly he's still eligible for waivers (both ways).

He is still waiver eligible?

Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:02 PM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
updated capgeek numbers, with Alberts 1.225 AAV added:

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Te...ary_cap_thou=3

UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel diamond View Post
1) He apparently wants to play here so I would imagine his price shouldn't be high
2) Right hand shot
3) Yeah he ain't Hamhuis (not by a longshot) but he's got acceptable mobility & grit
4) Played just under 20 minutes a game last season (not quite a top four guy but better than Alberts or Rome)
5) Coaching staff adheres to having a balance of right/left shots.

A combination of Montador & Salo shouldn't be that expensive. Substitute a guy like Babchuk if you want (another right hand shot).

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:12 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Good depth signing on AA. Hopefully he's the 7th guy.
I don't think they are going to invest 1.225 million in a no. 7 guy, I guess Tanev won't be in next year, either that or someone is on the move.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:15 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Why has there been no talk about Wisniewski?
Quote:
He wants 5m+ apparently.
In addition if you think Ehrhoff's defense abilities are below average, wiz is twice as bad, or at least that's what has been said on the main board by quite a few posters.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:21 PM
7ytluom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
In addition if you think Ehrhoff's defense abilities are below average, wiz is twice as bad, or at least that's what has been said on the main board by quite a few posters.
Too bad 85% of the people that post here say things when they don't know the whole story or have any facts or even remotely know the business of hockey.

7ytluom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ytluom View Post
Too bad 85% of the people that post here say things when they don't know the whole story or have any facts or even remotely know the business of hockey.
Not really sure where you're going with that. Wisniewski is definitely worse than Ehrhoff defensively, don't know if 2x or not, but he is worse and the injury thing is a concern.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

decent depth signing...his size sticks out like a sore thumb on a team that didn't exactly look equal in size to the bruins

had a poor playoffs, but was coming off a wrist injury and was spotted in the same way as ballard, which made it difficult to build up a rapport with any defensive partner

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Not really sure where you're going with that. Wisniewski is definitely worse than Ehrhoff defensively, don't know if 2x or not, but he is worse and the injury thing is a concern.
Not only that, he wants $5M per? haha no thanks.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:44 PM
alternate

I like Alberts and think this is a good signing. Solid bottom pairing guy, plays physical, and zero drama.

Only thing is, it really messes with the make-up of the d-corp. As it stands now, either Ballard or Edler is going to have to play the right side.

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Ballard-Edler
Alberts-Salo
Parent-Rome
Tanev (first call-up)

That's how I see it now. Still pretty solid but not a unit you'd rank near the top of the league. And if Salo and any of our top 4 guys get hurt at the same time...could get ugly.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Good signing - solid veteran, team player. In the context of Rome and Alberts being #7 and #8, at an avg cap hit under $1M, that's not too bad. The thing with Alberts and Rome: they don't cost you games and that's all you should be asking for from these guys.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote