Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Todd Marchant & Paul Kariya Announce Retirement

Old
06-29-2011, 04:58 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

vCash: 500
Great career for Marchant, made the absolute most of his ability. His game 7 OT winner for the Oilers against the Stars is still one of the most stunning playoff moments I've ever seen.

Kariya ... well I still think he half-assed it from about 2000 on, and he's still a weasel, but I'll say this much, he was truly one of the best 3-5 players in the league up until around '99.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:19 PM
The Mighty Duck
#9 all the way...

I am so sad at the moment right now and absolutely pissed because of Kaleta that son of a......

The Mighty Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:40 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Key moments in Kariya's Duck career:

-1st draft pick in Ducks history

-1st star player in Ducks history

-50 goals, 108 points in 95-96 helped by his late season chemistry with Selanne.

-96-97 home ice in the first round of the playoffs and Kariya with the overtime winner in game 6.

-contract holdout 97-98

-Gary Suter crosscheck that changed Kariya's career 97-98.

-bounces back for 101 points in 98-99.

-stats drop after Selanne trade and the team going to a defense first approach in early 2000s.

-Stanley Cup Finals run 02-03, KO'D by Stevens returned in same game for a goal.

-Turns his back on the Ducks and signs with Colorado July 2003.

It's been 8 years, I can't believe it.

McDonald19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:42 PM
DucksFanDFW

vCash: 700
You can all **** and moan about your hate and disdain for Paul, but in the time he was here he did more for the club than ANY other single player during that time. He was the face of this franchise almost from the beginning and played during some extremely embarrassing seasons.

I surely hope that somewhere down the line, someone doesn't hold you in such ill will for any business or life decision that you make in what you feel is your own best interest. He doesn't owe any of you anything, and hopefully he knows it and can shake the haters off without a second thought while laughing as he spends the money he made while playing the game he loves.

I understand that a lot of you were still teenagers when this happened, but one would hope as you got older and started to understand how the world works you could appreciate the fact that he made a decision, that in the long haul BROUGHT the Cup to the Ducks, while setting himself up to never win it.

Now that Paul has had the courage to admit it is over before he permanently does damage, hopefully Teemu will look real deep at his physical condition and make the correct decision for himself as well.

Hate away, I've always been a PK supporter so I'm used to it.

DucksFanDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:06 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

I am very sad and very happy that Todd Marchant is retiring. I am sad because I have seen the last game played by my favorite current Duck. T-Bone was the epitome of a hockey player. His passion, desire and hard-working attitude made him second-to-none among his teammates. He came up big when it mattered and never took a shift off. He provided great leadership and experience to this team that seems to be in constant state of flux. He also was probably the most charitable player on this team and that's saying something. He was very under appreciated during the first four years here simply because of his contract. I'm glad to see that he's finally getting the love he deserves.

I am happy though because he is staying with the organization. Murph couldn't have picked a better person to develop our young players. If everyone of our prospects approached the game with his work ethic and passion they'd all end up being all-stars. I think he'll do a fantastic job and I look forward to seeing how far his new career path will take him.

Thanks for six wonderful season Marchy!

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:22 PM
FinnishFury

Gonna miss Todd a bunch.

Would like to have had Kariya back for one last run at it, but at least he'll step down before he gets another major injury.

FinnishFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Hockey Duckie

Great job and thank you, Marchant, for being the dedicated, hard worker you are to this team... as well as the playoff shirts!

As for Kariya, hell hath no fury like a duck fan scorned by the betrayer. LoL

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Unholy

I knew stuff like this would happen.

It's over and done with. Ducks went on to win it all in 07. I just hope he can enjoy his retirement without anymore health issues.

Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Varius

The part of me hoping to see a Kariya/Selanne reunion is disappointed, but it was pretty expected.

Also expected Marchant to retire, so not a huge surprise there.

Onwards to new players and a new future Ducks!!

Varius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:20 PM
Unholy

Q&A with Marchant.

http://ducks.ocregister.com/2011/06/...as-time/68173/

Old
06-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Fighter
Legend

Congrats Todd for a hell of a career, I'll miss his heart and soul game, even though he had hands made of stone

Kariya has been after the Selanne trade my favorite player for years... now he's Paul who?

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:08 PM
davidy2d
Heater Clap Bombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksFanDFW View Post
You can all **** and moan about your hate and disdain for Paul, but in the time he was here he did more for the club than ANY other single player during that time. He was the face of this franchise almost from the beginning and played during some extremely embarrassing seasons.

I surely hope that somewhere down the line, someone doesn't hold you in such ill will for any business or life decision that you make in what you feel is your own best interest. He doesn't owe any of you anything, and hopefully he knows it and can shake the haters off without a second thought while laughing as he spends the money he made while playing the game he loves.

I understand that a lot of you were still teenagers when this happened, but one would hope as you got older and started to understand how the world works you could appreciate the fact that he made a decision, that in the long haul BROUGHT the Cup to the Ducks, while setting himself up to never win it.

Now that Paul has had the courage to admit it is over before he permanently does damage, hopefully Teemu will look real deep at his physical condition and make the correct decision for himself as well.

Hate away, I've always been a PK supporter so I'm used to it.
Glad somebody else said it. After trading Selanne to a division rival, I would have left this franchise too. The homerism needs to stop and people need to see it from both sides. PK left, we won a cup. Relax.

davidy2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:14 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidy2d View Post
Glad somebody else said it. After trading Selanne to a division rival, I would have left this franchise too.
Interesting ... it's more important to play cherry-pick hockey with your buddy than be on a team that was within a win of the Cup? If those are his priorities, then that explains so much.

Old
06-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Unholy

Was bound to happen.

Old
06-29-2011, 08:20 PM
davidy2d
Heater Clap Bombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
Interesting ... it's more important to play cherry-pick hockey with your buddy than be on a team that was within a win of the Cup? If those are his priorities, then that explains so much.
Trading a star player to a division rival for Friesen and Shields = joke team . It's not like that 2003 cup team was a powerhouse and was ready to contend the next year. And he went to a star filled Avs team. Let's not pretend he went to Tampa Bay or Buffalo.

Old
06-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Fighter
Legend

Quote:
And he went to a star filled Avs team.
And refused to cut his salary (10 millions!!!) to improve the team. And then signed for 1,2 millions instead. And failed badly in Colorado. And he went into oblivion soon after.

Old
06-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Selanne138

I hate Kariya for what he did, I was still a kid and it hurt me. DUmb reason 8 years later, but it is what it is.

Honestly though I think the Ducks winning the cup without him while he won absolutely nothing in the NHL is punishment enough. Enjoy your retirement Paul, hope you enjoy watching Bobby Ryan make everyone forget who used to wear #9!

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:08 PM
davidy2d
Heater Clap Bombs

What a rat

andystrickland Andy Strickland
Kariya was such a private person, never wanted others to know aobut the cash donations and hospital visits he made. Always respected that

Old
06-29-2011, 09:12 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Trading a star player to a division rival for Friesen and Shields = joke team . It's not like that 2003 cup team was a powerhouse and was ready to contend the next year. And he went to a star filled Avs team. Let's not pretend he went to Tampa Bay or Buffalo.
Friesen brought us Sykora, who ended up contributing more to the Ducks' playoff run than Kariya did.

And counting on David Aebischer to backstop you to a Cup ... THAT is a joke. I'd have rather bet on a scrappy Ducks team with Giguere.

Besides which, even if the Avs were a real contender at that point, I don't consider bandwagon jumping to try and coat-tail to a Cup a virtue to be lauded. It's like pulling a Lebron, just minus the media circus.

Old
06-29-2011, 09:20 PM
davidy2d
Heater Clap Bombs

I just think Ducks fans need to get over themselves. Kariya brought a lot to the franchise and when he left we won a cup. Ducks and their fans win, time to move on and stop being so bitter.

Old
06-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Tony O

Quote:
I just think Ducks fans need to get over themselves. Kariya brought a lot to the franchise and when he left we won a cup. Ducks and their fans win, time to move on and stop being so bitter.

Tony O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Maybe we could have a permanent sticky for anyone who was emotionally damaged by Kariya to post in so the rest of us don't have to watch the same fight with the same arguments that convince nobody on either side every time the name pops up? As opposed to just, you know, not hijacking a thread that's supposed to be a thank you thread?

Just saying.......

In other news....

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Fighter
Legend

Quote:
What a rat

andystrickland Andy Strickland
Kariya was such a private person, never wanted others to know aobut the cash donations and hospital visits he made. Always respected that
I respect that too, I'm not saying he's a horrible person. But screwed the teammates, the organization and the fans. We got Selanne back AND the Cup, he went into oblivion. Karma's a ***** Paul...

Old
06-29-2011, 09:29 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

It was time for Marchant to retire. He's given all he has. Love the guy's heart and he really steps it up in the playoffs. His loss is a moderate blow to the PK and ES defense, and a huge loss for our faceoffs. We need a good faceoff center more than before now.

As for PK, I'm glad he's retiring too. Not because he's a weasel, but because your health is more important than hockey, and your head is one of the most important and most vulnerable parts. It's hard to diagnose problems, and problems are life-long. He probably should have quit a concussion ago.

There's no reason to rehash the Kariya hate. This is a time to celebrate retirement. Kariya still has one of the most important Ducks playoff goals ever (game 6 Phoenix). That GWG was amazing, and brought the team legitimacy.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
It was time for Marchant to retire. He's given all he has. Love the guy's heart and he really steps it up in the playoffs. His loss is a moderate blow to the PK and ES defense, and a huge loss for our faceoffs. We need a good faceoff center more than before now.

As for PK, I'm glad he's retiring too. Not because he's a weasel, but because your health is more important than hockey, and your head is one of the most important and most vulnerable parts. It's hard to diagnose problems, and problems are life-long. He probably should have quit a concussion ago.

There's no reason to rehash the Kariya hate. This is a time to celebrate retirement. Kariya still has one of the most important Ducks playoff goals ever (game 6 Phoenix). That GWG was amazing, and brought the team legitimacy.
Kariya is the one issue with the Ducks where the little kid fan in me takes over and I really cant not hate him.

But I will agree with you on that goal, and I could watch the "Off the floor, on the board" video all day, and get chills every time. Big part of our past, but I'm glad he is not a part of our present or future.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote