HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The New Shut Down Center

Old
06-29-2011, 08:32 PM
esuhock22

vCash: 500
The New Shut Down Center

So with Richards gone and even Carter's strong yet underrated two way play gone, who do you guys see stepping in and playing the other teams top guys? Center specifically, complete line if you want. Schenn or Couturier hopefully will be good for this eventually, but I don't think it's fair to assume a rookie is ready for this role. You can argue Giroux would be good for it, but it could take away from his offensive production.

esuhock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Coppy

Giroux... And I'm not optimistic about it.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Giroux... And I'm not optimistic about it.
of course not, you are a flyers fan.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:50 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

I think Holmgren calling Giroux a Richards-type player is setting the table for Giroux to play that role. I don't want him doing that for the reason you (the OP) pointed out, but I'm definitely expecting it.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
I don't think he is currently part of the organization.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:56 PM
ChiTown Flyer

I really think Homer and/or Lavy (mostly Homer) want to slot Schenn into that role. I think they need to get a 3rd line center in FA

ChiTown Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
Agree with GKJ. Our shutdown center is likely a free agent.

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:04 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
I saw someone's argument that trading Richards would hinder the ability to shut down Crosby. This is ridiculous, Crosby has 62 points in his career against the Flyers, tied for the most vs. any opponent (NYI), he can't be shut down.

But...I'm interested to see what Giroux can to OFFENSIVELY. Assuming they're matched up most of the game, Giroux's offensive abilities (which I think we can all agree are > Richards') should keep Crosby in the defensive zone a bit more often during the games. The longer Croz is playing D, the less time he has to murder us on O.

If the games are in PHI, I'd expect to see the two top lines lock horns. If in PIT, G's line will probably face Staal & co. with the last change.

So to answer the question...I'm hoping Giroux can hold his own defensively, and help the team's cause by being in the offensive zone more often than not. And Couturier sounds like he'll be the shutdown center soon. And i also agree that our shutdown guy this year may be through FA, possibly Madden, maybe a dose of Konopka.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:11 PM
WastedTalent
who is lord stanley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I hope this...I really want Schenn to develop and become a really good player for us (which I think he will), but asking him to be a shut down defensive center as a rookie might hurt his growth a little bit. Let him learn on the wing of someone like John Madden or something

WastedTalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:19 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
Agree with GKJ. Our shutdown center is likely a free agent.
chris drury.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:26 PM
MsWoof

It's got to be someone who isn't in the organization yet. No way should Schenn be put under this much pressure so soon.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:38 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
I think Holmgren calling Giroux a Richards-type player is setting the table for Giroux to play that role. I don't want him doing that for the reason you (the OP) pointed out, but I'm definitely expecting it.
Yeah Homer, lets beat the hell out of Giroux like we did to Richards and waste his offensive talents trying to shut down people....makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I saw someone's argument that trading Richards would hinder the ability to shut down Crosby. This is ridiculous, Crosby has 62 points in his career against the Flyers, tied for the most vs. any opponent (NYI), he can't be shut down.

But...I'm interested to see what Giroux can to OFFENSIVELY. Assuming they're matched up most of the game, Giroux's offensive abilities (which I think we can all agree are > Richards') should keep Crosby in the defensive zone a bit more often during the games. The longer Croz is playing D, the less time he has to murder us on O.

If the games are in PHI, I'd expect to see the two top lines lock horns. If in PIT, G's line will probably face Staal & co. with the last change.

So to answer the question...I'm hoping Giroux can hold his own defensively, and help the team's cause by being in the offensive zone more often than not. And Couturier sounds like he'll be the shutdown center soon. And i also agree that our shutdown guy this year may be through FA, possibly Madden, maybe a dose of Konopka.
Madden apparently is staying in Minnesota whether that means retirement or playing for the wild. Konopka isnt good enough.

I like Reasoner, Goc and Belanger in that order...but they arent necessarily the best . No one else excites me. I wouldnt mind Arnott as a 3rd center, but he isnt the prototypical shut-down center.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:41 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Yeah Homer, lets beat the hell out of Giroux like we did to Richards and waste his offensive talents trying to shut down people....makes sense to me.

Madden apparently is staying in Minnesota whether that means retirement or playing for the wild. Konopka isnt good enough.

I like Reasoner, Goc and Belanger in that order...but they arent necessarily the best . No one else excites me. I wouldnt mind Arnott as a 3rd center, but he isnt the prototypical shut-down center.
Isnt good enough PLUS he is in the box 90% of the time anyway.

Anyway, I dont see them going for another center. I already see them envisioning a Giroux-Briere-Schenn middle. I would be very surprised if they got another center. Now who plays the shutdown role...no idea. I think if a line of JVR-Giroux-Simmonds was made (or Voracek), they would use that line against, say Crosby's line. Ya, some people here will freak at that, but I can easily see them doing that.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:49 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Isnt good enough PLUS he is in the box 90% of the time anyway.

Anyway, I dont see them going for another center. I already see them envisioning a Giroux-Briere-Schenn middle. I would be very surprised if they got another center. Now who plays the shutdown role...no idea. I think if a line of JVR-Giroux-Simmonds was made (or Voracek), they would use that line against, say Crosby's line. Ya, some people here will freak at that, but I can easily see them doing that.
I agree, I am just considering hypothetical signings...Glad I am not the only one that sees Schenn almost basically a definite on this roster. I think they will use a combination of Giroux and Schenn, not that I like that idea....but it is what it is.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:01 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
is the answer Jesus?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Fulton44*

Laviolette likes to roll three balanced scoring lines that all have a nice mixture of size, toughness, skill, and defensive prowess. Laviolette uses different types of matchups for different teams and has never used one line or center as the shutdown center/line. Both Giroux and Schenn are excellent defensively, so is Couturier who should be a Flyer by the fall of 2012. I don't see a need to go out and sign or trade for a "shut down center." Of course, I would love an upgrade to Blair Betts who in my opinion has nothing left in the tank due to too many shoulder injuries, and adding a John Madden or Michal Handzus (probably too expensive) to center the fourth line would be great.

Fulton44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:43 PM
Gibbs18

Quote:

He will be shutdown, we got Bryzgalov now. Notice us and the Islanders are in the same division with the Pens and we both havent had a good goalie since he came into the NHL. Devils had Broduer and Rangers have Lundqvist. A goalie is the answer to shut him down.

Gibbs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:53 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Handzus a broken down slow player.
please for the love of God stay away.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:05 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by esuhock22 View Post
So with Richards gone and even Carter's strong yet underrated two way play gone, who do you guys see stepping in and playing the other teams top guys? Center specifically, complete line if you want. Schenn or Couturier hopefully will be good for this eventually, but I don't think it's fair to assume a rookie is ready for this role. You can argue Giroux would be good for it, but it could take away from his offensive production.
Jason Arnott would be a good short term solution so Schenn can take his time to develop. I wouldn't want to throw him to the wolves this soon.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:14 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs18 View Post
He will be shutdown, we got Bryzgalov now. Notice us and the Islanders are in the same division with the Pens and we both havent had a good goalie since he came into the NHL. Devils had Broduer and Rangers have Lundqvist. A goalie is the answer to shut him down.
we'll see..

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:15 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Speaking of all of our new players, how about we update the prospect ticker on top of the forum?

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:29 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
THIS. I believe we will sign someone to do this job. I can't see us trusting a rookie to shut down the likes of Crosby, Ovi, Taveres and Stamkos, sorry but they'd just get destroyed. Also, there is no way Giroux is a good enough 2-way forward to play the shut-down role. He gives up the puck way too often in the defensive zone. I think that if we somehow end up with either Stamkos or Brad Richards (I hope not but it may happen) then we mught just look to have Giroux on the shut-down line and I'm not excited about that. We'd probably have to have 2 of JVR, Simmons and Versteeg on that line too just to give it a chance (Verteeg and JVR aver very solid 2-way forwards, Simmons is pretty good and he's also a real physical presence on the line).

It MAY end up being Simmons - Giroux - Versteeg, but I hope not.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:33 PM
phlocky

Quote:

That would never happen. First off you can't shut down Crosby, all you can do is try to "contain" him for as long as possible. He's single handedly the BEST player in the NHL and there isn't anyone even close. remember, he's not a very big guy (like Richards size) but he's EXTREMELY strong on the puck, you just can't get it away from him. This is in large part due to his incredable lower body strength. There is just no way Giroux could match up against Crosby.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:54 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Konopka

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:00 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedorange View Post
Konopka
Losing three of your top pk guys + adding a player that takes a tremendous amount of bad penalties = a recipe for disaster.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote