HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy GDT (Aka the Brad Richards Thread Part IV)

View Poll Results: Who Does Richards Sign With?
Rangers 138 68.32%
Sabres 31 15.35%
Leafs 16 7.92%
Other 17 8.42%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2011, 10:43 PM
Machinehead
#SearchForMcDonagh

vCash: 500
I'd gladly get ****ed hard 7 or 8 years down the road if we won a Cup in between.

Old
06-29-2011, 10:57 PM
For Your Technology

I just called him, he's a nice guy. I told him this is a Broadway hockey fan and Broadway wants Brad! He was nice, we had a couple laughs. Requested my name, I said Broadway Joe. We both laughed together again. Then both said our good nights. Definitely worth a phone call, he's a nice person. Patrick Morris is definitely grade A in my book.

Old
06-29-2011, 11:47 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
The more I think about it, the more I lean towards this. I really dont want to sign a 31 year old man to a 7+ year contract.

edit: Just realized, in the world of Glen Sather, the bolded word does not exist.
It's funny because everyone's so scared of having a 38 year old Richards(if his entire contract plays out) but people are drooling over the idea of a 39 year old Jagr. And Richards style of play is much more finesse too.

Old
06-29-2011, 11:59 PM
bmw2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by For Your Technology View Post
I just called him, he's a nice guy. I told him this is a Broadway hockey fan and Broadway wants Brad! He was nice, we had a couple laughs. Requested my name, I said Broadway Joe. We both laughed together again. Then both said our good nights. Definitely worth a phone call, he's a nice person. Patrick Morris is definitely grade A in my book.
Who did you call???

Old
06-30-2011, 12:00 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

if we dont get Richards you KNOW sather will overreact and sign someone who is a lot suckier to a similar contract.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:03 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
if we dont get Richards you KNOW sather will overreact and sign someone who is a lot suckier to a similar contract.
Indeed. Tim Connolly, anyone? I'm frightened of Sather's "Plan B."

Old
06-30-2011, 12:05 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
I'm actually not too worried about Sather overreacting and signing a tier 2 player to a tier 1 contract.

I think he'll make a trade if he cannot sign Richards, for a Stastny/Spezza type. They have the assets, that will just test Sather's willingnees to make a non-free agent big splash.

06-30-2011, 12:05 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Who could resist Toronto? I know I couldn't.

06-30-2011, 12:06 AM
ecemleafs

apparently fitzy voted for the leafs over 40,000 times. we should trade him to the leafs board for someone good.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:07 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Who could resist Toronto? I know I couldn't.
HE'S ABUSING HIS MOD POWERS! REVOLT! MUTINY!

Even though Richards could NEVER resist playing behind the one and only Tyler SAS. Bozak.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:08 AM
ecemleafs

Connolly 12 years 5.3m cap hit.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:10 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
HE'S ABUSING HIS MOD POWERS! REVOLT! MUTINY!

Even though Richards could NEVER resist playing behind the one and only Tyler SAS. Bozak.
would allow for BR to take advantage of second pairing defenseman with bozak's line drawing the charas and lidstroms of the nhl. BR would also be a good fit centering kulemin. kulemin takes double teams in the corners and wins the puck most of the time for his line mates. brad wouldnt even need to be creative with the puck, he could just pass it into the boards and watch kulemin (aka supercallahan) go to work.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:11 AM
For Your Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
Who did you call???
Richards' agent, his e-mail and cell were here and I thought I would give him a friendly phone call and tell him how much NY would appreciate his services. Very nice agent and person to talk to, surprisingly very friendly and outgoing.

Last edited by Fitzy: 06-30-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old
06-30-2011, 12:13 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I'm going to have to ask that you all not harass Brad Richard's agent to the point where he has to get a new phone number. Please. Restaint.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:18 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I'm actually not too worried about Sather overreacting and signing a tier 2 player to a tier 1 contract.

I think he'll make a trade if he cannot sign Richards, for a Stastny/Spezza type. They have the assets, that will just test Sather's willingnees to make a non-free agent big splash.
i ddunno, he seems to make stupid decisions in UFA to players who flat out dont deserve it. Kotalik anyone?

Old
06-30-2011, 12:20 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I'm going to have to ask that you all not harass Brad Richard's agent to the point where he has to get a new phone number. Please. Restaint.
yeah, might be worthwhile deleting that link...thats just screaming to be abused if Richards doesnt sign here.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:28 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
i ddunno, he seems to make stupid decisions in UFA to players who flat out dont deserve it. Kotalik anyone?
$3M for Kotalik, at that point, was slightly above his actual value. He has become a deadweight, but at the time of the signing, it was a fine contract; unlike Gomez or Drury.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:30 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
I'm going to ask the opposite; but all of you act as if you're Leafs fans. It's a brilliant plan. Just scare him off.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:33 AM
Block More Shots

I have a feeling Toronto will sign him 5 year, $40 million. And if he doesn't get $8 mil from Toronto, he'll get it from Buffalo.

If that ends up being the price for Richards, he can go to one of those teams.

I'd rather throw $3 mil at Connolly on a multi-year deal and another $3-4 at Erik Cole, Jussi Jokinen, or Simon Gagne. I'm not saying that Connolly is the answer to our problems, but I think he can put up 50-60 points and help our PP.

I'll probably be bashed for my post, and that's fine, but I've had enough of the crazy contracts being handed out to UFAs. I stayed positive with the Gomez and Drury signings; I was very excited to see both sign. Overall though, both were huge disasters, and we were lucky enough to get something for Gomez. Redden was terrible. Gaborik has been the only bright spot, but the fact that he's made out of glass is nerve-wracking. If he doesn't have a bounce back year, the fans will be calling for his head.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:36 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Has Arrived View Post
I have a feeling Toronto will sign him 5 year, $40 million. And if he doesn't get $8 mil from Toronto, he'll get it from Buffalo.

If that ends up being the price for Richards, he can go to one of those teams.

I'd rather throw $3 mil at Connolly on a multi-year deal and another $3-4 at Erik Cole, Jussi Jokinen, or Simon Gagne. I'm not saying that Connolly is the answer to our problems, but I think he can put up 50-60 points and help our PP.
What's the point of signing these players if you don't get Richards? Connolly is an injury waiting to happen, and was anemic offensively in the playoffa, and Cole isn't really needed without Richards, as he would be a top-6 filler.

If you don't want Richards, fine, but if you think it's a good idea to spend that SAME money on a bunch of tier 3 players instead of the tier 1 player this team needs, then I'm at a loss for words.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Problem is that if richards signs elsewhere, Slats will likely drop our sizeable chunk of cap space off on mediocre ufAs who are bid up because of the combination of cap increases with the low depth in this years UFA pool.

Think 4 years, 18 mil for Connolly and 3 years, 12 mil for Cole.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:41 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Problem is that if richards signs elsewhere, Slats will likely drop our sizeable chunk of cap space off on mediocre ufAs who are bid up because of the combination of cap increases with the low depth in this years UFA pool.

Think 4 years, 18 mil for Connolly and 3 years, 12 mil for Cole.
If it's that or 7-8 years, 7.5 mil for BR, which do you take?

Old
06-30-2011, 12:42 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
And thats exactly why hes going to go crazy signing him. Theres a pretty steep drop off after Richards in the center department and you dont want to wind up giving some shmuck 4 or 5 million because you need to make a move.

Its Richards or bust for Slats, i really believe that.

53 over 8, front loaded. 6.625 hit.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:45 AM
Block More Shots

Quote:
What's the point of signing these players if you don't get Richards? Connolly is an injury waiting to happen, and was anemic offensively in the playoffa, and Cole isn't really needed without Richards, as he would be a top-6 filler.

If you don't want Richards, fine, but if you think it's a good idea to spend that SAME money on a bunch of tier 3 players instead of the tier 1 player this team needs, then I'm at a loss for words.
So do you think it's Richards or bust for the off-season? I believe we have a good shot at him, but ya never know with UFA.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:46 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Has Arrived View Post
So do you think it's Richards or bust for the off-season? I believe we have a good shot at him, but ya never know with UFA.
It's Richards or bust, for me at least. Maybe add a veteran defenseman or forward otherwise, but in terms of lucrative and/or long term deals, Richards is the only one worth it.

Closed Thread