HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hamrlik has refused 1 yr offer. (post #363)

Old
06-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Bobby12345

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
No, no, Hammer is a tool for trying to get what's best for him in the business that is hockey.
He's a tool because he's looking out for his interests?

Bobby12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapshots View Post
He's a tool for looking out for his interests?
That was sarcasm, in reference to a post saying Hammer was a tool for seeking multi-year deal.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:30 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Glad Hamerlik Did Not Sign

I am actually suprised we even offered him a contract when PG has been saying we needed to get faster and quicker. Now maybe he will start to look at the UFA market tomorrow... Cam Barker????

Hammer was a good player, but clearly his skills are diminishing and his terrible pinches were just too costly, especially by a veteran. I do wish him the best and hopes he gets a 2-3 year deal somewhere to finish out his career.

We have a lot of needs, personally I am hoping we also bolster the bottom 6 forwards with some grit and secondary scoring, both of which were really lacking last year.

I always love the draft and UFA day and I am flying to Canada tonight for a vacation..... how sweet it is to be on Canadian soil!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:03 PM
sebi

Quote:
That was sarcasm, in reference to a post saying Hammer was a tool for seeking multi-year deal.
You misunderstood the post you reference, read it again.

I hope there is still a way to convince Hamrlik to remain and retire a Hab, he apparently has ties to Qc through his spouse, perhaps a manageable cap hit of around 2M for 2 years front loaded at 3 mil could convince him? He's old and tires quickly, but when he has gas in the tank he's an excellent (and tough) defenceman. Who would have tangled with Thornton during that Boston brawl if not him?

sebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Hugo Sham

apologies if already posted but habs will make no new offer to hamrlik. it's about terms...money was fine, hammer wanted 2-3 years..Gauthier said not going to happen

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...3_section_POS1

Hugo Sham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:52 PM
dcal64

Quote:
He's a tool because he's looking out for his interests?
I have no problem with players looking out for their best interests.

I do have a problem with a player saying that he would love to re-sign in Montreal, but then rejecting the deal because it's only a 1 year deal.

Gill was true to his words and re-signed with the Habs, but Hamrlik is clearly more interested in money than playing for the Habs. This from a player who just came off a $20 million plus contract.

Ciao Roman, don't let the door hit you on the way out

dcal64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:53 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
apologies if already posted but habs will make no new offer to hamrlik. it's about terms...money was fine, hammer wanted 2-3 years..Gauthier said not going to happen

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...3_section_POS1
If that's the case I agree. One year is what I wanted of Hamrlik, two or three is too big a risk. Especially with all the guys we have trying to grab spots, we can't be giving a bottom pairing spot to a 35+ guy for two or three years.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:15 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post

I do have a problem with a player saying that he would love to re-sign in Montreal, but then rejecting the deal because it's only a 1 year deal.

Gill was true to his words and re-signed with the Habs, but Hamrlik is clearly more interested in money than playing for the Habs. This from a player who just came off a $20 million plus contract.

Well put,See ya Hammer we want the Nail.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:20 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:

Hamrlik said he wanted to retire in Montreal - not sign for one more year. He feels he can give at least two years to a team whether it be Montreal or elsewhere.

Gill had ample time (weeks) to make a decision and length was an issue with him too while Hamrlik had hours to make a decision on what will maybe be his last contract.

And money doesn't seem to be the issue - it's the term. Hamrlik hinted all along that money was not the issue - it was the length. He doesn't want to pick up and move around for his last few years. His comfort zone was in Montreal.

Hamrlik is rolling the dice and I wish him well. Fans didn't want him to stay anyway and are still pissed that he's now leaving.

Never understood all of the hate for a player who repeatedly complimented the city, complimented the fans, complained not once, just tried to do the best he could under some extreme circumstances and was very instrumental in getting the team to the playoffs every year he was a Hab.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Bullsmith

I'm actually nervous about replacing his size and minute, much as I have high hopes for Emelin. Is two years too much?

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:38 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
I'm actually nervous about replacing his size and minute, much as I have high hopes for Emelin. Is two years too much?
For Markov, who's barely played in the last 2 + years including playoffs, three years is no problem.

For the player filling in for Markov during that same period, two years is a big problem evidently.

Habs still need another top four IMO if not two of them. Sabres are looking to stock up.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:48 PM
RNiner

Hamrlik is a fine vet D, but is really no different from alot of 35+ guys that we could sign for 2.5-3 mil. If we really need that kind of player, there will be lots of options there. Maybe when Hammer doesn't get his 3 year/3 mil offer, he'll be more interested in re-signing for 1 year with Montreal... if we still need a vet D.

As far as swimmer's post, this talk is just hockey business talk. I've always been a Hammer fan and I thank him for his years of playing. Always nice to have a hard-working player who loves this city. But just like Saku, eventually you need to cut ties if the situation calls for it. The NHL is a game of speed and a game for the young. 3-year contracts to 36 year olds is just not smart at all.

RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:04 PM
dcal64

Any chance we could trade his rights, like we did with Wiz?

dcal64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:07 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
For Markov, who's barely played in the last 2 + years including playoffs, three years is no problem.

For the player filling in for Markov during that same period, two years is a big problem evidently.

Habs still need another top four IMO if not two of them. Sabres are looking to stock up.
Hamrlik wanted a 2-3 year deal, it is guaranteed money as he is over 35 so no buyout clause is available, your stuck with it.

Markov, sure he has had injuries, but he is 10 times the player Hamrlik is, not to mention 6 years younger.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:31 PM
Bobby12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNiner View Post
Hamrlik is a fine vet D, but is really no different from alot of 35+ guys that we could sign for 2.5-3 mil.
4th in blocked shots
38th in points
33rd in assists
44th in takeaways
44th in PP goals
55th in ice time

There's a lot of guys who can give you that package?

Old
06-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
4th in blocked shots
38th in points
33rd in assists
44th in takeaways
44th in PP goals
55th in ice time

There's a lot of guys who can give you that package?
I swear, about half this board has no appreciation of how good Hamrlik has been for Montreal. There are guys that don't consider him even a top-4 next year when he played like a good allround number 2 this past year.

Last edited by Talks to Goalposts: 06-29-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:55 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Never understood all of the hate for a player who repeatedly complimented the city, complimented the fans, complained not once, just tried to do the best he could under some extreme circumstances and was very instrumental in getting the team to the playoffs every year he was a Hab.
Exactly. He's a class act. Very professional, delivering honest and valuable service, he has been a reliable soldier for us.

But yet some here just can't wait to kick him out and slam the door behind him. I hope these aren't the same people who criticize the Habs org for being "classless" with some ex-Habs.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:58 PM
ChoseLa

Yeah i'll Miss hammer, he's part of the 2007-2008 magical team. And he's been around for only 4 years but it feels like he was always a Hab.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Bobby12345

Quote:
Exactly. He's a class act. Very professional, delivering honest and valuable service, he has been a reliable soldier for us.

But yet some here just can't wait to kick him out and slam the door behind him. I hope these aren't the same people who criticize the Habs org for being "classless" with some ex-Habs.
Yet Habs fans keep saying they're the best fans in the world...

Hopefully he signs in Detroit although I doubt it...

Old
06-30-2011, 12:04 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Any chance we could trade his rights, like we did with Wiz?
If wiz going into his prime got us a 7th, how much do you think a 38 year old hamrlik would get us?

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:14 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
I swear, about half this board has no appreciation of how good Hamrlik has been for Montreal. There are guys that don't consider him even a top-4 next year when he played like a good allround number 2 this past year.
Most fans usually can't appreciate subtle skills. They will notice Gill lying flat on his ice playing the octopus and consider that good defending. They will notice points (although Hammer's usually go unnoticed as well). They will notice speed, or lack of (however some will say Gill plays better positional D so his super slowness isn't as important..never understood how they came up with that). The will notice leadership..
Actually, it seems Hammer just can't catch a break from certain fans..

I don't really understand this ''beef'' some fans have created towards Hammer. Overpaid, yes because he couldn't fill out a bigger offensive contribution, but he was still solid overall. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team throw 4M at him, or maybe a little less if Hammer pushed for that 3year contract.
We won't have that solid veteran D that will play with pretty much anybody and cover for most of their mistakes. Unless Spacek is healthy and on his natural side (or we sign someone else), I think most will be surprised by how much Hammer's presence is missed.

EDIT: On second thought, they probably won't even attribute it to Hammer. They will say the missing ingredient is Wiz.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:17 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:

He was a hired gun in the best sense of the word. The Habs gave him money in the biggest open market signing in the team's history at that point and in return he gave loyal and hard working service for the entire term of his contract. He fulfilled the job given to him as the team's 2nd defenseman and strove valiantly to make up for the number 1's absences. If he was 32 again I'd want him to sign the contract again in a heartbeat which is the mark of a great UFA signing.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:20 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Most fans usually can't appreciate subtle skills. They will notice Gill lying flat on his ice playing the octopus and consider that good defending. They will notice points (although Hammer's usually go unnoticed as well). They will notice speed.

I don't really understand this ''beef'' some fans have created towards Hammer. Overpaid, yes because he couldn't fill out a bigger offensive contribution, but he was still solid overall. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team throw 4M at him, or maybe a little less if Hammer pushed for that 3year contract.
We won't have that solid veteran D that will play with pretty much anybody and cover for most of their mistakes. Unless Spacek is healthy and on his natural side (or we sign someone else), I think most will be surprised by how much Hammer's presence is missed.

EDIT: On second thought, they probably won't even attribute it to Hammer. They will say the missing ingredient is Wiz.
Completely agreed. Just like most of us who have a memory spanning longer than 3 months remember how big of a change it was to acquire a guy like Hamrlik. He was the kind of defenseman lacking in the organization for years. The guy plays the toughest minutes, game in, game out, makes everyone of his partner that much better, plays in all situations, plays injured, gives a second and third effort, yet gets ragged on like no other D.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:22 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nilan View Post
Completely agreed. Just like most of us who have a memory spanning longer than 3 months remember how big of a change it was to acquire a guy like Hamrlik. He was the kind of defenseman lacking in the organization for years. The guy plays the toughest minutes, game in, game out, makes everyone of his partner that much better, plays in all situations, plays injured, gives a second and third effort, yet gets ragged on like no other D.
Spacek and MAB would like a word

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:27 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Spacek and MAB would like a word
I remember how after Markov's first injury the Hamrlik-Spacek pairing was holding together the defense with spit and balling wire by taking all the tough assignments on heavy minutes while Gorges-Gill was coming together as a defacto second pair. They were getting so much hate for it.

Another big problem is there is a lack of understanding of how match ups make a player look especially on the defensive side of the equation. Hamrlik has always got tough assignments so is more likely to look bad because he's playing against really good players.