HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Stamkos

Old
06-30-2011, 02:34 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Stamkos

Ok lets get this out of the way first...

I'm WELL aware that Glen doesn't like offer sheets and I'm also well aware that offer sheets hardly ever work.

But this is Steven Stamkos. The Stammer. The Stamminator! (okay corny overload there lol) Why has there not not been a single peep about the Rangers and Stamkos? I've been looking for days about any information possibly linking the Rangers to him, but alas, all I see is "Flyers, Flyers, Flyers, Leafs, Flyers" when I look up anything with Stamkos. Are they really totally uninterested in the best and youngest elite center not named Crosby? Is this not worth a shot come July 1st?

You tell me what you'd prefer.

Stamkos @ ~$10M for 10+ years costing 4 1st round picks, but giving you 10+ elite years.

or

Richards @ ~$7.5M for 7 years giving you 3 to 4 elite years then essentially becoming a shell of his former self and hurting us cap wise.

I'd genuinely love to have either, but Stammer wins this one hands down, even if he does cost four 1st rounders.

I feel like I'm going to get chewed up and spit out for even talking about this, but other boards have their Stamkos thread and I think it's time we have ours.

Last edited by KingWantsCup: 07-12-2011 at 02:39 PM.
KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 03:38 AM
Barnaby

vCash: 500
I won't kill you, but I believe Tampa would find a way to match...

I think it's an honor code tho in hockey so you are throwing yourself out for future deals. This is not a video game - there are reppercussions

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 03:50 AM
jniklast

If we offer sheet Stamkos and he signs, then we can't sign Richards because the offer sheet counts against the cap. Then Tampa will match andg we have neither...
And Tampa will match pretty much everything anyway.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 06:50 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Moot point alltogether

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 07:09 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
If we offer sheet Stamkos and he signs, then we can't sign Richards because the offer sheet counts against the cap. Then Tampa will match andg we have neither...
There was speculation in another thread that TB wouldn't be able to match the max contract (12.8m I think?). Still, I don't think the Rangers offer that much. And like you said, it is too big of a risk that we don't land Stamkos OR Richards.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:19 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Generally my exact feelings.

I *think* the only way we'd offersheet Tampa is if Glen was VERY sure it would end well ... almost to the point he'd just trade for him.

I generally think the only teams Glen would offersheet would be teams who'd basically never trade with us anyways mainly NJ & NYI.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:32 AM
pwoz

$180m/20 years

Your move, Steve.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:42 AM
KennyWu

I think this would have been a good poll.

I personally would take Stamkos @ $10m for 10 years over Richards for $7m for 7 years. Stamkos would be a staple in this young offense for the next decade right through his prime. Yeah his cap hit is huge but he's a generational talent you won't find unless you're drafting (most likely) in the top 5.

KennyWu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:46 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
$180m/20 years

Your move, Steve.
I imagine it would be very hard for Tampa to commit more $ to Stamkos than the franchise is worth but it would seem they would have to match.

It would be agonizing to wait the match period for both fanbases.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:16 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyWu View Post
I think this would have been a good poll.

I personally would take Stamkos @ $10m for 10 years over Richards for $7m for 7 years. Stamkos would be a staple in this young offense for the next decade right through his prime. Yeah his cap hit is huge but he's a generational talent you won't find unless you're drafting (most likely) in the top 5.
haha obviously...

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:19 AM
pwoz

This team never gets lottery picks. We get some good first rounders, but they're 10-20 and currently probably won't be in the NHL for 3+ years.. I'd rather take a chance at Stamkos.. I know it's not likely, but like said above, Stamkos @ 10 years > Richards @ 7.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:28 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
I won't kill you, but I believe Tampa would find a way to match...

I think it's an honor code tho in hockey so you are throwing yourself out for future deals. This is not a video game - there are reppercussions
If it actually worked I couldn't care less about Tampa holding a grudge and not doing business with us for a while. The same thing would have happened to Crosby or Ovechkin if either Pittsburgh or Washington let negotiations go on this long. When a player is actually worth well over $100 million you kinda just throw bro code out the window. Some may call that scummy but others would say it's just business.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Blueblood 2

Git er done Slats!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:29 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post

I feel like I'm going to get chewed up and spit out for even talking about this, but other boards have their Stamkos thread and I think it's time we have ours.
I thought us not having one made us a little more rational and realistic than other fanbases like the leafs.

Guess not

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:58 AM
free0717

I go with Richards first. No more than a 5 year deal @ 7 per very front loaded and in the last two years there is no "no trade clauses". If that wont get it done, I go 10 year 95 million for Stamkos with as much front loaded as possible. If Tampa matches that then Plan C is to stay the course.

Four first round picks for a 21 year old elite superstar is worth it. We are never gonna draft early enough to get a player of his stature.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:03 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
I thought us not having one made us a little more rational and realistic than other fanbases like the leafs.

Guess not
Dreaming is indeed frowned upon here.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:04 PM
GarretJoseph

Correct me if I'm wrong but if Tampa decides not to match, they can try and work a deal out instead right (instead of taking 4 first round picks which most likely would be late first rounders...)

Anyway, I'd do 14 years @ 14.5 per, with 25 million up front. Match that *****es.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:18 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but if Tampa decides not to match, they can try and work a deal out instead right (instead of taking 4 first round picks which most likely would be late first rounders...)

Anyway, I'd do 14 years @ 14.5 per, with 25 million up front. Match that *****es.
If Stamkos signs an offer sheet, Tampa must match or take the compensation. There are no other choices. If they match, they assume the terms of the contract as negotiated with the other team.

Players can't make more than 20% of the cap, and we couldn't afford that cap hit anyway.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

How about a trade? Maybe Gaborik, McDonagh and #1 in 2012? Gabby gives them a star back, McDonagh gives them an excellent cheap defenseman and the first is in a strong draft. If Tampa is afraid of losing him for just four picks or to be forced to match a $100 contract, this may make sense for then. If fact, they would probably have enough money to throw $7 at Brad. Two first liners and a top 4 defenseman would be $15 a year, which is better than $10 for just Stamkos.

And they are a team with aging stars like Lecavalier and St. Louis, so going for the Cup immediately makes sense. Brad, Gaborik, St. Louis and Lecavalier is an awful lot of firepower, not to mention an improved defense with McDonagh.

From the Rangers point of view, the team is very, very young. All of the key players except Girardi and Prust (who are both 27) are in their early or mid 20s. Lundqvist is 29 but he is a goalie and they last longer.

With Stamkos, Stepan, Anisimov and Boyle down the middle, they would have one of the best center corps in the league. Defense is overloaded on the left anyway and McDonagh would be replaced by Erixon or MDZ in the top 4.

The wings (Dubinsky, Callahan, Wolski, Prust, Zuccarello) would not be great, but we have some excellent prospects (Hagelin, Kreider, Miller, Thomas, Fasth, Weise). Plus Boyle can be moved to LW if Lindberg makes it. And we have enough cap space to sign some wingers. If Wolski becomes a true top-6 forward, we are ok. If not, we can use his $4.5 to sign someone good.

Either way, with tremendous centers, great blueliners and a superstar goalie still in his 20s (and one of the top prospect corps in the league), the Rangers would be very good for a very long time, even with wingers as their weakness.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:21 PM
McIlrathsWrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Ok lets get this out of the way first...

I'm WELL aware that Glen doesn't like offer sheets and I'm also well aware that offer sheets hardly ever work.

But this is Steven Stamkos. The Stammer. The Stamminator! (okay corny overload there lol) Why has there not not been a single peep about the Rangers and Stamkos? I've been looking for days about any information possibly linking the Rangers to him, but alas, all I see is "Flyers, Flyers, Flyers, Leafs, Flyers" when I look up anything with Stamkos. Are they really totally uninterested in the best and youngest elite center not named Crosby? Is this not worth a shot come July 1st?

You tell me what you'd prefer.

Stamkos @ ~$10M for 10+ years costing 4 1st round picks, but giving you 10+ elite years.

or

Richards @ ~$7.5M for 7 years giving you 3 to 4 elite years then essentially becoming a shell of his former self and hurting us cap wise.

I'd genuinely love to have either, but Stammer wins this one hands down, even if he does cost four 1st rounders.

If they let stamkos slip through their fingers, they should be embarrassed. 4 1st rounders is a short order for a guy like that.... And I don't think sather would attempt this unless he knew it would work

McIlrathsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:17 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
I go with Richards first. No more than a 5 year deal @ 7 per very front loaded and in the last two years there is no "no trade clauses". If that wont get it done, I go 10 year 95 million for Stamkos with as much front loaded as possible. If Tampa matches that then Plan C is to stay the course.

Four first round picks for a 21 year old elite superstar is worth it. We are never gonna draft early enough to get a player of his stature.
Four first round picks is a lot.

But a way to look at it is, are either of those picks going to be Stamkos?

Likely not. Especially where the Rangers usually pick at.

If the Rangers were a yearly lottery team, I wouldn't do it.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:20 PM
Edge

If the Rangers weren't so focused on Richards, I'd say it was a distinct possibility. However, for reasons previously mentioned by others, I can't see it happening unless a team like Toronto comes in and snaps Richards up immediately.

There aren't many guys that I'd make a max offer sheet to. Stamkos is on the short list.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:28 PM
GarretJoseph

so we can ONLY offer up to 12.8 per season?

12.8 X 12 years = 153.6 million

Year 1 - 25.6 million
Year 2 - 20 million
Year 3 - 18 million
Year 4 - 15 million
Year 5 - 10 million
Year 6 - 10 million
Year 7 - 10 million
Year 8 - 10 million
Year 9 - 10 million
Year 10 - 10 million
Year 11 - 6.5 million
Year 12 - 6.5 million

You try and see if Tampa can afford 45.6 million the first 2 seasons.....or 78.6 over the first 4 seasons.....

If we need more room, I say buy out Wolski too.

Stamkos is worth the money, the cap hit and the loss of Wolski & Drury.
4 first round picks over the next 4 years would most likely result in picks IMO from 22-30

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:49 PM
NYRangers16

Is the max salary based on individual years or yearly average? i always figured the max you could pay a guy in any given year is 20% of the cap.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:52 PM
pwoz

Max yearly salary is around $12.8m.