HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Salo :bow:

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2003, 08:30 PM
mrhockey123

vCash: 500
Salo :bow:

3 goals seems like a lot but WOW was he ever on tonight!

first goal had no chance cause he made a wicked save then had the rebound stuffed in - where the BLEEP were the d-men!

2nd goal - i was off getting food so i missed it, but heard it was a laser beam.

3rd goal - escapes me but i think the avs were on the PP so whadya gonna o when the WC All-Star team lines up agaisnt you!

Old
10-18-2003, 08:35 PM
jadeddog

i actually thought that salo should have made the save on the 2nd goal.... he saw it all the way from the blueline, i dont care *how* hard the shot is, if its from the blueline and you can see it the entire way... you should save it

Old
10-18-2003, 08:36 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
All three goals were on brutal defensive play except the Blake goal which was just perfect execution getting a patent bullet from Blake on a perfectly won draw by Forsberg through about 6 screens. Tommy stopped anything that was at all possible to stop.

Old
10-18-2003, 08:37 PM
outKast*

There's still some questions in the air about Salo and if he can take us far into the playoffs, but after watching him play against a star-studded Avalanche team, i wouldn't be too worried anymore. Not making any excuses but, he had no chance on some of those goals. He needs to start playing like he did tonight every game. Consistency is all it takes for him to regain all-star goalie status.

overall, Mr. Salo take a bow

Old
10-18-2003, 08:37 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
i actually thought that salo should have made the save on the 2nd goal.... he saw it all the way from the blueline, i dont care *how* hard the shot is, if its from the blueline and you can see it the entire way... you should save it
OH MY GOOD GOD!!!!! HE SAW IT ALL THE WAY???? C'mon... it went through about two avs players holding up about 3 oilers players trying to block the shot.... he didn't see it at all!

Old
10-18-2003, 08:45 PM
fuhr

I haven't liked the way Salo has played all year he hasn't looked sharp to me at all. Tonight on the other hand he was the Tommy Salo of old. Made all his saves look easy and controlled nearly every single rebound. He was square to every shot and he wasn't swimming on the ice. He may have let in 3 goals but it was easily his strongest effort of the year.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:24 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Watching Salo tonight, I sensed something I haven't sensed from him in a long time: confidence.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:32 PM
Shibumi

"Watching Salo tonight, I sensed something I haven't sensed from him in a long time:..."

Whew, for a minute there I thought you were going to say the location of the net.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:32 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
I heard Brodeur make a comment how even he can get beat by blueline shots on occasion even seeing it all the way because of the new sticks and Blake has a damn fine shot I might add.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:37 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

If Tommy plays like he has so far this year we'll be more then fine. All that needs to improve is the Oilers 2-3 brutal breakdowns per game that leave Tommy completely high and dry. IMO his play has been real good, and MUCH better then his numbers show.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:38 PM
jadeddog

sorry all, i dont think he was screened, and it was a shot that he should have stopped.... simple as that

Old
10-18-2003, 11:37 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

That shot came right off the faceoff...Salo was probably unprepared for that shot. I don't care what you guys say, but that shot was an absolute laser beam that went through three or four players before hitting the top corner...there was no way he could've saved that.

Old
10-19-2003, 03:26 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
jaded...

How many goaltenders are going to stop a shot from the top of the circle when Blake gets to walk into it?

If if he wasn't screened (which he was, there were at least 5 players in front of him), a shot like that is still a very difficult save.

Old
10-19-2003, 09:14 AM
jadeddog

well i dont really feel like getting into a war about this, but that shot was not top corner, and it certainly didnt go through 5 players either..... but i guess we'll have to disagree on it... if you look at the replay (the one where the camera was on the sideboards, pretty much right behind blake) it gives you a "seeing eye" view of the puck, a good angle - your basically right behind the puck.... and it does not go through anybody

Old
10-19-2003, 11:09 AM
barto

I didn't think it was a screen shot, either, but it was a rocket. AND it was the second exact-same play in a row, so the Oilers should have been ready for it to get someone in front of that one.

To be honest, I was kinda hoping Salo would've stopped it, but I'll bet Blake scores on pretty much every goalie on the league with that play, more often than not. I think Salo was FANTASTIC that game, though, and the whole team showed some mental toughness in a couple of ways - first, not to let the idiotic penalty calls distract them, and second, to keep up the intensity & tough play even after the Avs scored their tying goals (twice, if I recally correctly). That (mental toughness) is something that's been lacking in past years, but they picked a good night to show it! Hope it keeps up.

Bart

Old
10-19-2003, 12:42 PM
Silver

A shot like that one from Blake does one of three things:

1. It hits somebody.
2. It misses the net.
3. It goes in.

There really isn't much you can do about it once he steps into it from that close.

Old
10-19-2003, 01:43 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Indeed - Sure it didnt' go through anybody but the puck was leaving Blakes stick right when about two Oilers and a Avs player skated through tommys line of site. Even if there was only Blake on the ice shooting on Salo when Blake one times a puck from the top of the circle with ANY momentum then it either hits the goalie, misses the net, or goes in - as long as it isn't at the goalie it's unstopable.

Closed Thread