HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez trade in the works? LEGIT SOURCES ONLY (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2011, 10:05 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
WTF happened to this guy!?!
He got paid?

Old
06-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
He used to be a huge Habs killer. I like the way he plays, always will, but damn.

Take the old Gomez, make him out of shape and take out all his swagger and you get the post 7M$ Gomez.

Old
06-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:

Old
06-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
To those of you saying Gomez was a non factor on the Devils, that video completely shuts that idea out.

That's the Scott I want to see. That's the Scott I was a fan of long before he became a Hab.

You're 31, you can do it again. Come on.
Don't really want to read through the thread, but who said Gomez was a non-factor on the Devils? The guys has always been one of Lamiorello's favorite player. He was a huge part of the Devils system.

Old
06-29-2011, 10:14 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Yeah... that was 8 years ago.. he was 23 years old.

What about 53pts in his 56 po games since the lockout? I didn't include this year's stats as this was a fluke.

You are right, I want anything to do with a player who is 0.94PPG in the playoffs, it's not good enough!
That's fine, but can we stop pretending Gomez was a beast for the devils when they won cups to make ourselves feel better about us being stuck with him ?

Stuff like that REALLY annoys me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nilan View Post
Don't really want to read through the thread, but who said Gomez was a non-factor on the Devils? The guys has always been one of Lamiorello's favorite player. He was a huge part of the Devils system.
He was not a huge part of the cup wins.

1st cup win he wasn't there
2nd cup win he barely contributed
3rd cup win he was more of a contributor.. but then again was 7th in pts on the team despite playing with Elias and getting prime PP time.

He wasn't that big a part of the cup wins. He wasn't even the 5th most important player in any of the cup wins. He didn't carry the team by any stretch of the imagination, or even was a HUGE part... I'd say he was easily replaceable and that team wasn't built around him at all. Madden, Brodeur, Elias, Stevens, Niedermayer, Rafalski were at least all more important than he was. By quite a long shot.

Old
06-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Belso

For all those who replied money......You make a solid point...

Old
06-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Teufelsdreck

Just because he's on ice doesn't mean he can't begin to stink.

Old
06-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post

3rd cup win he was more of a contributor.. but then again was 7th in pts on the team despite playing with Elias and getting prime PP time.

He wasn't that big a part of the cup wins. He wasn't even the 5th most important player in any of the cup wins. He didn't carry the team by any stretch of the imagination, or even was a HUGE part... I'd say he was easily replaceable and that team wasn't built around him at all. Madden, Brodeur, Elias, Stevens, Niedermayer, Rafalski were at least all more important than he was. By quite a long shot.
Has anyone downgraded the contribution of those 6 players? No. So why are you talking about them? Did anyone say he carried the Devils? No, so why are you mentioning this? Gomez was a huge part of the Devils system, this is a fact of life, whether you enjoy it or not. If you think an offensive center playing difficult minutes doesn't contribute to a cup win I don't know what to tell you. Good luck with your 2011 goals.

Old
06-29-2011, 10:28 PM
HCH

Quote:
Everyone figured out his one move... and for those who say he liked to drive to the net and bury the puck, this is a classic example of how a few highlights taken out of context can lead to false assumptions. He had only one year when he scored more than 19 goals... that is hardly "burying the puck". He was always considered a set-up man first, these highlights make him look like a 50 goal scorer.

Old
06-29-2011, 10:51 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nilan View Post
Has anyone downgraded the contribution of those 6 players? No. So why are you talking about them? Did anyone say he carried the Devils? No, so why are you mentioning this? Gomez was a huge part of the Devils system, this is a fact of life, whether you enjoy it or not. If you think an offensive center playing difficult minutes doesn't contribute to a cup win I don't know what to tell you. Good luck with your 2011 goals.
Fact of the matter is that Madden was playing tougher minutes and was matched up against other team's top lines. He also produced more with players who weren't quite as good as Elias.

Gomez was really sheltered on a deep devils team.

The devils were winning cups before Gomez. He certainly wasn't a major part of it all. When he was ready to be a major part the devils lost some key members and they never won after that despite really good regular seasons.

All I'm saying is that I'm tired of hearing people say Gomez was integral to the cup wins as their #1 center. That's just not true. He was a cog in the machine in the 3rd cup.

Old
06-29-2011, 10:55 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Fact of the matter is that Madden was playing tougher minutes and was matched up against other team's top lines. He also produced more with players who weren't quite as good as Elias.

The devils were winning cups before Gomez. He certainly wasn't a major part of it all. When he was ready to be a major part the devils lost some key members and they never won after that despite really good regular seasons.

All I'm saying is that I'm tired of hearing people say Gomez was integral to the cup wins as their #1 center. That's just not true. He was a cog in the machine in the 3rd cup.
as I am of reading posters trying to downdrage/debate/deny/etc whatever he's done well since being a NHLer ?

reading some peeps, it's like we're talking about Pat Traverse here or something...

Old
06-29-2011, 10:58 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
as I am of reading posters trying to downdrage/debate/deny/etc whatever he's done well since being a NHLer ?

reading some peeps, it's like we're talking about Pat Traverse here or something...
Meh, I didn't start it. I only replied to someone who blatantly exaggerated his role on the devils during the cup wins. I think it's important to stick to reality.

Old
06-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:

Elias' chemistry was with the A line with Sykora and Arnott (who was traded for Niewendyke). Gomez and Elias had 0 chemistry. Actually, Elias had 0 chemistry with anyone after that line was broken up. So, since they couldn't contribute offensively, they contributed in other ways, which is what the Devils did better than anyone in 02-03. I'm strickly speaking for that year, as the next year the EGG line was formed and both started clicking together. And why bring up Madden? The guy had the post-season of his entire life that year, a complete anomaly.

Old
06-29-2011, 11:11 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Think Gomez is adequate is like believing everything Eklund posts on his crappy site.

There I said it.

Old
06-29-2011, 11:18 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:

The year of the second cup, Gomez was NHL Rookie of the Year. He certainly contributed!

Who would deny that Subban was a major contributor last year and he didn't even win the Calder.

Old
06-29-2011, 11:46 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Meh, I didn't start it. I only replied to someone who blatantly exaggerated his role on the devils during the cup wins. I think it's important to stick to reality.
while he may not have been a major contributor, reality isnt that he wasnt important or anything.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:18 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
while he may not have been a major contributor, reality isnt that he wasnt important or anything.

here's the thing...

M-A Bergeron was 5th in scoring in the regular season, and 7th in scoring in the post-season (as a dman) for the habs last year as they reached the conference finals.

from a purely stat pov, it's impossible to argue that he wasn't "important" to the team, obviously his contributions helped the team...

but does that make him a "major contributor"? and if so, doesn't that directly imply that the team was foolish, even stupid, to let such a "major contributor" walk away without attempting to sign him?

Gomez is a playmaker, he obviously has solid offensive skills/instincts. In the right environment, surrounded by the right players, he has shown that he can put up a ton of points. He's also shown that, in limited minutes, he can be a part of a championship team, but I think it's a stretch to say he was a "major contributor"...

in all 3 seasons where the Devils, with Gomez, made deep playoff runs, his production dropped significantly from the regular season to the playoffs.

his TOI was at it's highest in the years, with the devils, where the team was eliminated in the 1st or 2nd round... when they went deep, he was kept to ~16min/game.

Gomez is an excellent complimentary player, but if he's thrust into a prominent role, he doesn't have it in him to be a leader on a successful team, that's what his career thus far shows...

Gomez is a good hockey player.... but he's simply not anywhere near the player some people try to make him out to be (including some established hockey people, like Sather/Gainey). He's a guy who lucked into a great situation, and rode that to a massive payday and far more leeway than he would have gotten had he been a russian born player drafted by the Islanders at the same time.

being ROY (an award also won by "big-time contributors" such as Trent Hunter and Andrew Raycroft), having solid career ppg in the playoffs (amazingly people tout his playoff performances as a positive, yet for his career he is clearly a player who produces less come playoff time)... those are things that mask his actual contributions/effectivness, and had he not lucked into a stacked Devils roster (and rode that bus to the cup success that has become a false selling point), there would be no argument about his rather mediocre level of play as an NHLer.

He's not terrible (though he has one of the most terrible contracts of all time), but he is certainly not as valuable a player as some would try to make him out to be.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:23 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Pk should have been in nomination.
Skinner diserved the cup.

When was the last time a d-men even was nominated?
Who as D-men won the calder Cup?
Tyler Myers was the reigning calder trophy winner.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:25 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Tyler Myers was the reigning calder trophy winner.
Facts > Running mouth like you know everything.

Old
06-30-2011, 03:04 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max et Guillaume View Post
Agreed.

And if Gomez is traded this summer, and we don't get an experienced C in return, it will be hilarious when, in 9 months, people here are *****ing and whining that we need a veteran C, since DD and Eller are kids. "Screw PG, what a bum, why did he trade Gomez?"
I can garantee you nobody will ever say that.

Old
06-30-2011, 03:45 AM
Kovatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I can garantee you nobody will ever say that.
As disappointing as Gomez has been it may be wiser to hold on to him until we are sure we get someone to replace his role on the team. DD and Eller are great but I don't think either are ready to be top-6 centermen. If we can't get a quality center like Paul Stastny in a trade (because there is no way Richards will ever sign in Montreal) then it may be wiser to hold on to Gomez until next season's trading deadline or next summer.

Old
06-30-2011, 04:39 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Might as well hold on to Gomez in a year he be able to bring an asset. As his pay will be way less than his cap hit. Especially if he has even a semi-bounce back year. Habs are thin down the middle to start the season with both Eller and Desharnais coming off injuries

Old
06-30-2011, 04:51 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post
Look at all that crappy goaltending.

Maybe he should go back to #23?

Old
06-30-2011, 06:58 AM
Thorn

nice septuple posting there.

As much as it would be nice to get rid of the contract, like others have posted I don't think we should trade him unless we have somebody else capable of those 60ish points.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:20 AM
WestIslander

Gomez trade is possible and Gauthier has spoken to three teams already!

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl110628.html

Closed Thread