HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Callahan's Agent Thinking Offer Sheet; Gap in Negotiations; Pot Shot at Richards

Old
06-30-2011, 12:09 AM
XLJ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Thank you, that was the point I was trying to make. People still **** on Dubi for trying to maximize his earnings, but make excuses when Callahan tries to do the exact same thing.
Yeah it already started with Dubinsky when Brooks reported he was asking for 4.5 million per year. I'm sure the "gap" between the rangers and Callahan is because Cally's agent is asking for something similiar for his client.

I'm a big fan of them both, all of this kind of stuff is just part of negotiating. Neither one is leaving. I doubt Cally even gets an offer sheet from another team. But it's funny how you will see some different reactions from people. When really they are both doing the same thing, just trying to get as much money as possible.

Last edited by XLJ: 06-30-2011 at 12:16 AM.
XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:11 AM
Pizza

Not worried.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:13 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
People who prefer Callahan to Dubinsky are metrosexual.

Well, I've heard everything now.

Callahan played 3/4ths of the season. 60 games. In those 60 he outdid Dubinsky (Who played 77) in

Hits (224 to 140)
Blocked Shots (77 to 31)
Goals Per Game (.38 to .31)
Points Per Game (.8 to .7)

All while averaging a minute less of ice time a game than Dubinsky.
Should be pointed out Dubi played half the year with a broken leg when the injury first happened it caused his offensive statistical lull.

We know stats like hits and blocked shots are very subjective so comparing the numbers like that is misleading. Most of us watch all the games, does anyone see Dubi pass up chances to play physical? Neither do I.

As for Callahan's offensive production this year, a few things to consider: Small sample size. He missed a lot of time. I'm not ready to say he'll continue at that pace over a full year, although I'd be delighted to be proven wrong. He takes a ton of shots. Way more than Dubi. Cally isn't very creative offensively. It's pretty much throw it on net in the offensive zone for him. Dubi on the other hand makes plays in the offensive zone. He carries the puck, sets up teammates. Cally doesn't. Not a part of his game. This year Cally got to play with Dubi and benefited from Dubi's hard work offensively. He benefited from Arty's creativity as well. Cally is not the kind of guy who makes his teammates better offensively, he's the guy who is made better by his teammates.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:21 AM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
It's funny, isn't it.

Both guys (Dubi and Cally) bleed Ranger Red, White and Blue. Both players lay their bodies out on the line almost every night and sacrifice themselves. Both players fear no one and always push back, fight back, defende themselves, defend their teammates and go after opponents who take liberties with teammates. Both players put up similar offensive numbers with Dubinsky putting up slightly better offensive points, than Cally. Dubi and Cally are best friends off the ice and on the ice.

But some how the Metrosexual portion of the Rangers' fanbase have a hrad-on for Cally, because they think he's "cute". So Dubi gets pissed on for no reason whatsoever, while Callahan (who is undoubtedly my top two favorite Ranger along with Dubi) gets grossly over-rated and exaggerated.

Welcome to Ranger Land.
Dubi fights a lot more than Callahan too. Cally sometimes drops the gloves, but not much at all. If anyone ****s with the Rangers, you can bet Dubi will (at least try) to kick his ass. I completely agree with the Callahan being overrated by rangers fans part, and it really annoys me that people do this because it forces me to knock Callahan when I really do like the kid. I was real excited about him back when he was lighting it up in Hartford, I was telling people he was going to be a real player for us. But this push to make him into a god right now is really annoying, especially since part of that movement also seems to want to make Dubi into the devil at worst or just another nothing special player at best.

I've said this before but I think it makes the point well. A team of Dubinskys beats a team of Callahans every time. At the end of the day the most important thing a forward could do is create offense, and Dubi is much better in that area than Callahan.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:46 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
It's called leverage. I'm not worried.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:13 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Should be pointed out Dubi played half the year with a broken leg when the injury first happened it caused his offensive statistical lull.
Should be pointed out that a stress fracture is different than a broken leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
A stress fracture is an overuse injury. It occurs
when muscles become fatigued and are unable to
absorb added shock. Eventually, the fatigued
muscle transfers the overload of stress to the
bone causing a tiny crack called a stress fracture.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:03 AM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Should be pointed out that a stress fracture is different than a broken leg.
Fracture means break. Broken is the past participle of break.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:09 AM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

At least this is something to talk about besides Brad Richards and Bard Richards

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:58 AM
Deric

No ones gonna offer sheet him over $4M. I love Cally as much as the next guy, but you let your person feelings make you overvalue him too much. He's the kind of player "everyone would love to have on their team" , but not at an over $4M cap hit long term deal.

Deric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 03:31 AM
Barnaby

Callahan is not an offer sheet type.. I think it's more for the stars of the world - not gutty 2nd liners..

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 05:03 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
So people who don't like Dubi because he held out, guess you really hate Callahan now.
Difference is night and day.

Dubi - Held out past training camp.

Cally - Technically not even an RFA yet, he's still has a few hours remaining on his current contract.

Should Callahan hold out into training camp, then he will be in the same boat as Dubi.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 05:09 AM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but if a team wants to give Callahan a deal that would return 4 1st rounders I would have to think about that VERY heavily.
LOL, are you serious?

If a team is stupid enough to give 4 1st rounders for Cally, I'd pack his bags for him.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 07:13 AM
eco's bones

Callahan is great at what he does but how much say would the Sabres have to offer to get him that the Rangers wouldn't match and take compensation instead. $5 mil? a year. $6 mil? To get a player like him a team would have to overpay by a lot--messing with their own salary structure and paying the other team off with high draft choices. Would it be worth it? In Callahan's case I don't think so. And the chances of another then coming around to do the same to you increase as well.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 07:23 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Callahan is great at what he does but how much say would the Sabres have to offer to get him that the Rangers wouldn't match and take compensation instead. $5 mil? a year. $6 mil? To get a player like him a team would have to overpay by a lot--messing with their own salary structure and paying the other team off with high draft choices. Would it be worth it? In Callahan's case I don't think so. And the chances of another then coming around to do the same to you increase as well.
I guess it all depends how valuable a team thinks Callahan is. He had 48 pts in 60 games last year- I believe that if he played 82 games he would've had over 60 points. So maybe if a team thinks he can consistently put up ~60 points, plus his intangibles, then maybe they're willing to lose a first round pick for him. Idk, just thinking out loud...

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 07:40 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
It's called leverage. I'm not worried.
Yeah this is his agent trying to drum up some leverage and get the Rangers thinking they have to up their offer

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:11 AM
Alien Valuating

As valuable as Callahan is, I don't think there's a team in the league that would pay him $5.5 - $6 million and give up a 1st round, 2nd round, and 3rd round pick to do so. Not worried in the slightest.

Alien Valuating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:14 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Its called negotiating. These things happen, and unfortunately (and unlikely) scenarios get thrown around. Same thing happened with Dubinsky 2 years ago, although I doubt Callahan will get villainized in the same way.

Nonetheless, it still amazes me that people continue to flip out over what is essentially a non-story.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Much to do about nothing.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:33 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
I guess it all depends how valuable a team thinks Callahan is. He had 48 pts in 60 games last year- I believe that if he played 82 games he would've had over 60 points. So maybe if a team thinks he can consistently put up ~60 points, plus his intangibles, then maybe they're willing to lose a first round pick for him. Idk, just thinking out loud...
Rangers would match probably up to $5 mil anyway. What's the compensation if a team went higher? Not sure--but I'm pretty sure it's more than one first round pick.

Okay I wikipediaed it. Figuring Callahan as an RFA is going to get $3.5-4 mil per. Between $4 and $5 mil the compensation on an offer sheet is 2 1st round picks, a 2nd and a 3rd. Over $5 mil the compensation is 4 first round picks.

Reading that I find it hard to believe that a team is going to offer sheet him at all. Anyone our there willing to trade 4 1st rounders for him is out of their frigging minds.

Last edited by eco's bones: 06-30-2011 at 08:40 AM.
eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:41 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

It's sad when the team's own fans consistently fail to realize the value of the player that is clearly the most important player on their team other than the superstar goaltender. The guy that is already a top 10 defensive forward in the league, and one of the most valuable all-around players to ever wear a Ranger jersey.

You don't let players like Ryan Callahan slip through your fingers. The only players who you hold on to with a tighter grip are flat out superstars. Players like Callahan are very, very rare, and very, very valuable. You don't know hockey if you don't see why, because if you know hockey, you realize what an immense advantage it is to have a player like Callahan on your team.

That said, I'm not too worried. I'm pretty sure if Callahan is allowed to leave VIA offer sheet, Tortorella quits the next day. This is just typical agent ********.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:06 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Callahan is not an offer sheet type.. I think it's more for the stars of the world - not gutty 2nd liners..
Hjalmarsson was signed via offer sheet last offseason. That being said, I don't think we have anything to worry about.

As a point of reference, though, Dustin Penner was signed to a 4.25m offer sheet. Accounting for inflation and being a more established NHLer, I'd expect a potential offer sheet to be around the $5m range. Anything higher and I think the team is crazy. What Callahan's agent doesn't mention is that overpaying Callahan by $1m hurts your teams cap as much as overpaying Richardss by $1m.

Last edited by Tawnos: 06-30-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:10 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Rangers would match probably up to $5 mil anyway. What's the compensation if a team went higher? Not sure--but I'm pretty sure it's more than one first round pick.

Okay I wikipediaed it. Figuring Callahan as an RFA is going to get $3.5-4 mil per. Between $4 and $5 mil the compensation on an offer sheet is 2 1st round picks, a 2nd and a 3rd. Over $5 mil the compensation is 4 first round picks.

Reading that I find it hard to believe that a team is going to offer sheet him at all. Anyone our there willing to trade 4 1st rounders for him is out of their frigging minds.
The offer sheet would have to be over 7.8 mil per year to get 4 1sts in compensation. Under 4.7 mil would only get you a 1st and a 3rd. I think the exact numbers were posted on one of prior pages.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:29 AM
E Nixson